Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

House GOP members are 'absolutely disgusted and exhausted' by Trump's behavior, former GOP congressman says
cnn.com/November 29, 2019
'"Former Republican congressman Charlie Dent said Thursday some of his former colleagues in the House of Representatives have privately told him they are "absolutely disgusted and exhausted by the President's behavior."

But not enough to do something about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gyges posted:

Jesus Christ. Is there a single thing that that loving idiot even has a rudimentary understanding of?

no

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Millennials Have a Right To Be Pissed at Boomers. This Data Proves It.
vice.com/Nov 28 2019
"Just how badly are millennials being screwed out of wealth? Let’s take a look at the data."

Fears over rising far-right extremism in New Jersey after growing number of arrests
independent.co.uk/12 hours ago
"The arrests of the two men rocked law enforcement officials in Sussex County, raising fears that far-right extremism had crept into this sleepy, rural area in New Jersey."

The Frightening Rise In Low-Quality, Low-Paying Jobs: Is This Really A Strong Job Market?
forbes.com/Nov 25, 2019
'There is a big disconnect. The reality for most people is inconsistent with the employment figures. Stories of job seekers spending an exceedingly long period of time searching for a suitable job, lackluster salary offers, relatively small wage increases for employees and the rapid growth of gig-economy jobs—such as Uber and Lyft drivers, Instacart shoppers and DoorDashers—repudiate the “best job market ever” narrative.'

There’s no other way to explain Trump’s immigration policy. It’s just bigotry.
washingtonpost.com/Opinion/November 25, 2019
"There’s no other way to explain the Trump administration’s latest onslaught against foreigners of all kinds, regardless of their potential economic contributions, our own international commitments or any given immigrant’s propensity to follow the law. Trump’s rhetoric may focus on “illegals,” but recent data releases suggest this administration has been blocking off every available avenue for legal immigration, too."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

But not enough to do something about it!

No one wants to stick their foot through the door and face the wrath of their base in a primary yet. Guess we'll see when they vote on articles of impeachment. Until then, we can be happy in their discomfort.

Long needed edit: Or we need to somehow tell them to gently caress off.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 2, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
University kills at least one job after giving millions to preserve white supremacist statue
rawstory.com/December 1, 2019
"Last week the North Carolina University system announced that it was giving a $2.5 million to a trust that would fund the preservation of Confederate statues, namely the “Silent Sam” statue that was toppled by protesters. Now it seems at least one job has been cut and a North Carolina State employee is questioning if it was as a result of the settlement."

Rosa Parks statue to be unveiled Sunday
abcnews.go.com/November 30, 2019
"A new statue of civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks will be unveiled Sunday in downtown Montgomery [Alabama]."

Utah teacher tells boy, excited to be adopted by 2 dads, it's 'nothing to be thankful for'
msn.com/6 hrs ago
'The unidentified teacher, who was working at Deerfield Elementary School in Cedar Hills in late November, asked a class of fifth-graders what they were thankful for this year ahead of Thanksgiving. One boy, an 11-year-old identified as "D.M.," said he was thankful he was "finally going to be adopted by my two dads."

"Why on earth would you be happy about that?" the teacher quipped, according to The Salt Lake Tribune. She then reportedly lectured the 30-student class for 10 minutes about how "homosexuality is wrong" and "two men living together is a sin."'

[US Public school.]

What swimming in my underwear taught me about Donald Trump and getting away with it
usatoday.com/Dec. 1, 2019
"Democrats resist, but Trump has desensitized his political base to his corruption by serving them more corruption. Something can only remain shocking for so long. Eventually the “unprecedented” becomes routine."

New Orleans shooting: 11 wounded on edge of French Quarter
syracuse.com/Today 1:22 PM

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Anyone know if it's possible for the House to pass full impeachment articles against Trump and then refuse to transmit them to the Senate? I realize it won't happen and would pose a number of issues, but I've been mulling over the idea anyways because McConnell is absolutely positively guaranteed to shamelessly turn the trial into a farce intended to cynically undermine the rule of law for short term partisan political gain to the maximum extent he can get away with. McConnell knows by doing this, the worst outcome possible for him is for politically disengaged voters in the midwest to blame both sides in Washington. The best case scenario for him would be to swing independents against impeachment, making a Trump re-election likely.

The polls on impeachment recovered somewhat with last week's damning testimony. But the process is still politically neutral at best, more likely slightly harmful, as it's slightly underwater in key states Dems need to get to 270.

In the event Pelosi did as I suggest, she should make the same argument, going aggressively at McConnell and avoiding any pretense he would ever allow a real trial in the Senate.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Eregos posted:

Anyone know if it's possible for the House to pass full impeachment articles against Trump and then refuse to transmit them to the Senate? I realize it won't happen and would pose a number of issues, but I've been mulling over the idea anyways because McConnell is absolutely positively guaranteed to shamelessly turn the trial into a farce intended to cynically undermine the rule of law for short term partisan political gain to the maximum extent he can get away with. McConnell knows by doing this, the worst outcome possible for him is for politically disengaged voters in the midwest to blame both sides in Washington. The best case scenario for him would be to swing independents against impeachment, making a Trump re-election likely.

The polls on impeachment recovered somewhat with last week's damning testimony. But the process is still politically neutral at best, more likely slightly harmful, as it's slightly underwater in key states Dems need to get to 270.

In the event Pelosi did as I suggest, she should make the same argument, going aggressively at McConnell and avoiding any pretense he would ever allow a real trial in the Senate.

AFAIK, as soon as articles of impeachment are approved by the House, those articles move to the Senate, where they are likely going to be taken up as indictments in trial. Pretty sure we want ALL the Senators to be forced to make public declarations about guilt or innocence of the orange fecal smear based on the overwhelming evidence against him.

And Republican senators will get to face the wrath of their base voters and motivated anti-poo poo smear voters all at the same time.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Donald Trump Is a Category 5 Political Disaster
thenation.com/Today 9:00 am
'French King Louis XV reputedly said, “Après moi, le déluge.” (“After me, the flood.”) Whether that line was really his remains unclear, but not long after his death did come the French Revolution. We should be so lucky! Our all-American version of Louis XV, Donald I, is incapable, I suspect, of even imagining a world after him. Given the historically unprecedented way he’s covered by the “fake” or “corrupt” news media, that “enemy of the people,” I doubt they really can either.'

Not enough Pinocchios for Trump’s CrowdStrike obsession
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 2, 2019
"The president persists in pursuing a debunked conspiracy theory. Somehow, we’ve never gotten around to assigning a Pinocchio rating for this claim. Maybe that’s because there aren’t enough Pinocchios available in our system to truly do this justice."

GOP Rep. Duncan Hunter, after claiming 'witch hunt,' to plead guilty to misusing campaign funds
nbcnews.com/Dec. 2, 2019
'U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter says he will plead guilty to misusing campaign funds — a criminal case he'd once decried as a politically motivated "witch hunt."'

Facebook CEO on political ads: People should "judge for themselves the character of politicians"
cbsnews.com/December 2, 2019
'"What I believe is that in a democracy, it's really important that people can see for themselves what politicians are saying, so they can make their own judgments. And, you know, I don't think that a private company should be censoring politicians or news," Zuckerberg told "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King in his first network TV interview with his wife, Priscilla Chan.'

The Military Is Burning Art from Guantanamo That the World Should See
vice.com/Nov 27 2017/"Entertainment"
"Since 2002, 779 detainees have been held there—nine died in custody, 15 were minors, and only nine have actually been charged with a crime. Barack Obama promised to close Guantanamo when he was running for president in 2008. Since then, 730 prisoners have been transferred or resettled in other countries. But 41 remain, and if you believe Donald Trump’s threats to fill Guantanamo back up with "bad dudes," there may be more in the near future."

Jeff Bezos’s Vision of the Future Is Basically Blade Runner
jacobinmag.com/11.27.2019
"Jeff Bezos wants us to leave Earth and save ourselves by building space colonies. We want to stay on Earth, build a viable future, and make Jeff Bezos leave."

Mother who brutally stabbed her son to death for being gay gets 25 years in prison
lgbtqnation.com/December 2, 2019
"The December 2016 death of 17-year-old Itaberli Lozano at the hands of his mother shocked the world. Investigators accused the mother, Tatiana Lozano Pereira, 35, of stabbing her son, burning his body, and burying him in a cane field near Sao Paolo, Brazil."

Nobody Is Above the Law.
impeach.org/ Upcoming Events (350)
"Nobody Is Above the Law. That's why we're calling on Congress to Impeach & Remove Donald Trump.

The night before the House of Representatives takes a somber vote to impeach Trump, we'll head to every congressional office and public square to declare that Nobody Is Above the Law as representatives finalize their positions and senators look on.

Join this historic nationwide mobilization on the eve of Trump's impeachment vote: RSVP for an event near you or sign up to host one. Events will be visible, family-friendly, public gatherings to demonstrate to our lawmakers that their constituents are behind them to defend the Constitution—and that Trump has left them no alternative to uphold their oath of office but to support impeachment and removal."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Otteration posted:

Facebook CEO on political ads: People should "judge for themselves the character of politicians"
cbsnews.com/December 2, 2019
'"What I believe is that in a democracy, it's really important that people can see for themselves what politicians are saying, so they can make their own judgments. And, you know, I don't think that a private company should be censoring politicians or news," Zuckerberg told "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King in his first network TV interview with his wife, Priscilla Chan.

Does he honestly expect anyone to believe this obvious bullshit? It's so transparent that he just wants to keep selling targeted ads that give him stupid profit and way too much control over the political landscape for a single citizen to have. Wants people to decide for themselves my rear end. If he wanted that he wouldn't sell the drat things in the first place.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Does he honestly expect anyone to believe this obvious bullshit? It's so transparent that he just wants to keep selling targeted ads that give him stupid profit and way too much control over the political landscape for a single citizen to have. Wants people to decide for themselves my rear end. If he wanted that he wouldn't sell the drat things in the first place.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/30/zuckerberg-political-ads/
"One clear objective was to dispel the idea that Facebook was motivated by greed to keep these ads. Zuckerberg explained “We estimate these ads from politicians will be less than 0.5% of our revenue next year.” For reference, Facebook earned $66 billion in the 12 months ending Q3 2019, so Facebook might earn around $330 million to $400 million in politician ads next year. [Update: It wasn’t clear if issue ads and PAC ads were counted in Facebook’s 0.5% figure, but now the company says that number is just for ads run directly by politicians.]"

"We dont need the money, we just want trump to be able to lie."

"Also we are lying about how much we need the money."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/opinion/life-expectancy-united-states.html

quote:

As The Times’s Tom Edsall put it in a recent article, “red and blue voters live in different economies.”

What Edsall didn’t point out is that red and blue voters don’t just live differently, they also die differently.

About the living part: Democratic-leaning areas used to look similar to Republican-leaning areas in terms of productivity, income and education. But they have been rapidly diverging, with blue areas getting more productive, richer and better educated. In the close presidential election of 2000, counties that supported Al Gore over George W. Bush accounted for only a little over half the nation’s economic output. In the close election of 2016, counties that supported Hillary Clinton accounted for 64 percent of output, almost twice the share of Trump country.

Agree to disagree, or disagree better? We'll help you understand the sharpest arguments on the most pressing issues of the week, from new and familiar voices.

The thing is, the red-blue divide isn’t just about money. It’s also, increasingly, a matter of life and death.

What I haven’t seen emphasized is the divergence in life expectancy within the United States and its close correlation with political orientation. True, a recent Times article on the phenomenon noted that life expectancy in coastal metropolitan areas is still rising about as fast as life expectancy in other advanced countries. But the regional divide goes deeper than that.

A 2018 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association looked at changes in health and life expectancy in U.S. states between 1990 and 2016. The divergence among states is striking. And as I said, it’s closely correlated with political orientation.

I looked at states that voted for Donald Trump versus states that voted for Clinton in 2016, and calculated average life expectancy weighted by their 2016 population. In 1990, today’s red and blue states had almost the same life expectancy. Since then, however, life expectancy in Clinton states has risen more or less in line with other advanced countries, compared with almost no gain in Trump country. At this point, blue-state residents can expect to live more than four years longer than their red-state counterparts.

That this happened in less than 30 years is :wow:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Televangelist Acton Bowen Pleads Guilty To Sexually Abusing Multiple Children
patheos.com/December 2, 2019
"Suffer the children: Popular Alabama televangelist Acton Bowen pleads guilty to 28 charges of raping and sexually assaulting multiple children between the ages of 12 and 16.

Before his arrest in 2018, Bowen was the host of xlroads TV, a global broadcast reaching millions every week."

Trump abused presidency for own gain, Democrats' impeachment report concludes
theguardian.com/3 Dec 2019
'The US House intelligence committee voted on Tuesday evening to adopt Democrats’ damning 300-page impeachment report, moving the inquiry into Donald Trump into its next phase.

Trump “abused the power of his office for personal and political gain, at the expense of [US] national security”, congressional Democrats concluded in the report released on Tuesday which laid out incriminating conclusions after two weeks of public hearings in the impeachment inquiry.'

House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff News Conference
c-span.org/December 3, 2019

Why coming out as a Conservative is in no way, shape or form ‘almost worse than coming out as gay’
pinknews.co.uk/December 2, 2019
'A viral tweet claimed that “coming out as Conservative is almost worse than coming out as gay in modern western society”. Here’s why that’s not true.'

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1201351943790174208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1201351943790174208

Edit: "Exhibit of patriotism."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Now see which of those red states refused to roll out the Medicaid expansion, and how many are ‘right to work.’ They’re cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oracle posted:

Now see which of those red states refused to roll out the Medicaid expansion, and how many are ‘right to work.’ They’re cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

But they’re not.

Despite the overwhelming image of Red State Republicans being poor backwoods yokels motivated by religion and race, the poor, even in red states, vote overwhelmingly for Democrats.

Republicans gutting welfare and Medicaid is about hurting blue voters in red states. Some red voters are hit by it as well, but it’s overwhelmingly targeted at killing people who normally vote for Democrats.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oracle posted:

Most of them don't vote because their politicians abandoned them to chase corporate cash

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump’s mental state is deteriorating dangerously due to impeachment with potentially ‘catastrophic outcomes’, psychiatrists urgently warn Congress
independent.co.uk/8 hours ago
'A group of mental health professionals led by a trio of pre-eminent psychiatrists is urging the House Judiciary Committee to consider Donald Trump’s “dangerous” mental state arising from his “brittle sense of self-worth” as part of its inquiry into whether to approve articles of impeachment against him.

“We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation,” said Yale Medical School Professor Dr Bandy Lee, George Washington University Professor Dr John Zinner, and former CIA profiler Dr Jerrold Post in a statement which will be sent to House Judiciary Committee members on Thursday.'

The Republicans have become the party of Russia. This makes me sick.
washingtonpost.com/opinions/Dec. 4, 2019
"Of all the changes that have occurred in our politics since the rise of Donald Trump, the most gut-wrenching for me personally is to see the Republican Party transformed into the Kremlin’s “useful idiots.” As a young refugee from the Soviet Union growing up in Southern California in the 1980s, I was attracted to the GOP because it was the party of moral clarity — the party willing to stand up to the “evil empire.” How far we have come — in the wrong direction."

America’s Red State Death Trip
nytimes.com/Dec. 2, 2019
"About the living part: Democratic-leaning areas used to look similar to Republican-leaning areas in terms of productivity, income and education. But they have been rapidly diverging, with blue areas getting more productive, richer and better educated. In the close presidential election of 2000, counties that supported Al Gore over George W. Bush accounted for only a little over half the nation’s economic output. In the close election of 2016, counties that supported Hillary Clinton accounted for 64 percent of output, almost twice the share of Trump country."

Czechs Say Billionaire Leader Must Resign in Mass Protests
bloomberg.com/November 16, 2019
"Hundreds of thousands of Czechs thronged the streets of Prague in one of the largest anti-government protests in the country since the fall of communism, calling on their billionaire prime minister to step down."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Nancy Pelosi just wrote Donald Trump's name in the history books
cnn.com/December 5, 2019
"Don't miss what happened in Washington on Thursday morning: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi virtually guaranteed that President Donald Trump will be only the third president in American history to be impeached by the House."

Republicans win in effort to limit 'liberal' student vote in key 2020 races
theguardian.com/5 Dec 2019
'‘They are kids voting liberal,’ a New Hampshire Republican said in 2011 as legal battle over student voting in the state continues'

Will Poor Whites Still Support Trump If Food Stamps Are Cut?
newsone.com/December 2, 2019
"One of Trump‘s most loyal voting blocs are non-college-educated whites and blue collar whites, many who live in poverty and require public assistance. With whites being the largest group to receive social services, like food stamps, will this change now that the Trump administration has a drastic plan to slash food stamps?"

You foolish evangelicals, Trump has bewitched you
christianpost.com/December 04, 2019
'Fool.

It’s not a word to throw around carelessly. Some Christians erroneously believe the Bible forbids the use of this word toward others and that we risk eternal damnation for addressing people this way. What the Bible actually teaches is to never call someone “racca,” which means “empty one” or “worthless.” The Bible also teaches that it is always wrong to call someone a fool if you are doing it out of sinful, unrighteous anger.'

The Traitors Among Us
rollingstone.com/December 4, 2019
"Donald Trump likes to call his opponents traitors — but if he’s looking for treasonous behavior, he should look within his own party"
"Which is a shame, because America is in the midst of a treason boom right now, and more than a few people in Trump’s immediate orbit — and Trump himself — richly and actually deserve the title of traitor, and the treason inherent in their acts and words is apparent."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Otteration posted:

Will Poor Whites Still Support Trump If Food Stamps Are Cut?
newsone.com/December 2, 2019
"One of Trump‘s most loyal voting blocs are non-college-educated whites and blue collar whites, many who live in poverty and require public assistance. With whites being the largest group to receive social services, like food stamps, will this change now that the Trump administration has a drastic plan to slash food stamps?"

Pretend I posted the "He's not hurting the right people!" quote.

As long as enough minorities suffer, they'll keep on voting hard-R.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

E: I think I wasn’t supposed to post this here

inferis fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Robocop busts in, arrests him, and then throws him out a window to his death.

In all seriousness if he goes flat out crazy like that and attempts a coup he'd probably get black bagged pretty quick given how poorly he gets along with the CIA and friends.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Orange County Sheriff's Dept. Mishandled Evidence; Kept It Quiet For Nearly 2 Years
npr.org/December 5, 2019
"A law enforcement scandal that could impact thousands of criminal cases in Orange County, Calif., is pitting the region's top attorneys and sheriffs against one another."
"The findings cast doubt on the authenticity of evidence, raise concerns about chain-of-custody rules and could possibly force a reexamination of adjudicated criminal cases. The ramifications could be immense, potentially reversing sentences for people whose convictions relied on tainted evidence."

Virginia unions, Dem allies push to repeal right-to-work-law
peoplesworld.org/December 6, 2019
"Energized by wins in November that swept Democrats – notably pro-worker lawmakers — into a legislative majority in the state capital of Richmond, Virginia unions and progressive Democratic allies launched a big push to repeal the Old Dominion’s 72-year-old “right to work” law."

Boris Johnson cancels speech after five protesters turn up
independent.co.uk/9 hours ago
'Boris Johnson has cancelled a speech to members of the public in Rochester after a small number of protesters turned up.

The prime minister was due to give a stump address to Tory supporters near the Ye Arrow pub in the Kent town.

A small number of protesters - which The Independent counted at five - also arrived holding signs which read “Tories out”, “Austerity killed over 130,000, the blood is on your hands” and “No to racism, no to Boris Johnson”.'

Mass strikes in France shut down Eiffel Tower, trains, schools as tens of thousands march in Paris
chicagotribune.com/Dec 05, 2019
"The Eiffel Tower shut down, France’s high-speed trains stood still and tens of thousands of people marched through Paris and other cities Thursday in a massive and sometimes chaotic outpouring of anger at the government’s plan to overhaul the retirement system."

France faces second day of travel chaos as strikes continue
theguardian.com/6 Dec 2019
'The far-reaching strike, which brought more than 800,000 people on to the streets on Thursday, is seen as the greatest test yet for the centrist president, who has promised to deliver the biggest “transformation” of the French social model and welfare system since the immediate post-war era.'

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Otteration posted:

Mass strikes in France shut down Eiffel Tower, trains, schools as tens of thousands march in Paris
chicagotribune.com/Dec 05, 2019
"The Eiffel Tower shut down, France’s high-speed trains stood still and tens of thousands of people marched through Paris and other cities Thursday in a massive and sometimes chaotic outpouring of anger at the government’s plan to overhaul the retirement system."

France faces second day of travel chaos as strikes continue
theguardian.com/6 Dec 2019
'The far-reaching strike, which brought more than 800,000 people on to the streets on Thursday, is seen as the greatest test yet for the centrist president, who has promised to deliver the biggest “transformation” of the French social model and welfare system since the immediate post-war era.'

700,000 people are about to lose food stamps in America and we can't be assed to step up and do anything about it. Legitimately hope the French bring out the guillotine and show America how its done.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump is trafficking in anti-Semitic tropes. It must stop
cnn.com/opinions/December 8, 2019
'On Saturday night, President Donald Trump served up a buffet of anti-Semitic tropes during his speech before the Israeli American Council advocacy group in Florida. He played on the dangerous anti-Semitic theme of Jews having dual loyalty to the United States and another country, when he said, "They don't love Israel enough."

He then invoked the slur that Jews are hyper-focused on money, telling the crowd that to protect their money they will vote for him -- falsely claiming that 2020 Democratic Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren's proposed "wealth tax" will take "100% of your wealth away." He added, "You're not going to vote for the wealth tax... you're going to be my biggest supporters because you'll be out of business in about 15 minutes."'

Climate scientists try to cut their own carbon footprints
wtop.com/December 8, 2019
"Add to that flights to Paris, Rome, Vancouver and elsewhere. All told, in the last three years, she’s flown 29 times to study, meet or talk about global warming.

Then Cobb thought about how much her personal actions were contributing to the climate crisis, so she created a spreadsheet. She found that those flights added more than 73,000 pounds of heat-trapping carbon to the air."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Eight Counts of Impeachment That Trump Deserves
msn.com/8 hrs ago
"During Watergate, the House Judiciary Committee considered five articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon — and voted down two of them. During the impeachment of Bill Clinton, the House voted on four articles — and rejected two.

That history serves as a reminder that impeachment is not a neat process. It’s a chance for Congress and voters to hear the evidence against a president and decide which rise to the level of an impeachable offense."

They pushed hard this year to curtail abortion. Wait for 2020.
seattletimes.com/Dec. 4, 2019
"Months after state lawmakers around the country approved some of the most restrictive limits on abortion seen in decades, some states want to push still further.

Leading the way is Ohio, where Republicans are contemplating banning nearly all abortions from the time of conception, with no exceptions for rape or incest, and the highly unusual step of allowing women who have abortions to be prosecuted for murder."

2019 Wraps Up The Hottest Decade In Recorded Human History
forbes.com/Dec 3, 2019
'“Since the 1980s, each successive decade has been warmer than any preceding decade since 1850,” the World Meteorological Organization wrote in its provisional “State of the Global Climate” report for 2019.

It also appears that 2019 will wind up as either the second or third warmest year on record. This would mean that all of the ten warmest years on record have come since 2005, with eight of the top ten occurring in the decade now ending.'

A University’s Betrayal of Historical Truth
theatlantic.com/10:15 AM
"On the eve of Thanksgiving, the University of North Carolina Board of Governors agreed to settle a lawsuit filed by the North Carolina division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) over a Confederate monument that had stood for more than a century on the university’s flagship campus, in Chapel Hill, before demonstrators toppled it in August 2018.
The settlement, though, establishes a de facto financial partnership between the university system and the SCV to preserve the monument. The SCV is free to use Silent Sam and this generous subsidy to continue its long-standing misinformation campaign about the history and legacy of the Civil War, with an endowment that rivals that of the university’s history department. But the cost to the university can’t be fully tallied in dollars and cents. A great public university should stand for the pursuit of truth, not the promotion of historical distortions and falsehoods. In seeking an expedient solution, the university system has succeeded only in aggravating the problems that the removal of the statue was supposed to address."

North Dakota county may become US’s 1st to bar new refugees
apnews.com/yesterday
'“The overwhelming public opinion is so clear to me, that I think if you vote for it, you’re not going to be reelected if you choose to run again,” he said.'

Extinction Rebellion stages air pollution protests in London and Manchester
theguardian.com/
theguardian.com/9 Dec 2019
"Climate change activists wearing gas masks have blocked a central London road to demand the next government tackles “deadly levels of air pollution” in the capital."

67 Pictures Of Protest That Defined The Decade
buzzfeednews.com/December 7, 2019
"While the internet has helped shed light on these causes, it's also provided a new platform for hate and bigotry in the form of ultranationalism, tribalism, and white supremacy. As we enter the next decade, issues like climate change, internet privacy, and gun violence have gained traction among a new generation of activists who are sure to shift the discourse in the coming years.

To highlight the tremendous moments in activism that have defined this past decade, BuzzFeed News combed through thousands of pictures to highlight the ones that best represent the events that have shaped the world as we know it today. While this list could not include every major protest of the last decade, we attempted to collect pictures that spoke to larger social shifts. Here are the most powerful protest photos from the 2010s."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This might not be the best thread for it, but I'm looking for a specific article about a drug that could literally cure some horrific genetic malady forever and due to how corporate medical hellscapes work it was deemed unprofitable and production ceased. I've tried looking for it but without keywords googling has been entirely unhelpful

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Captain Invictus posted:

This might not be the best thread for it, but I'm looking for a specific article about a drug that could literally cure some horrific genetic malady forever and due to how corporate medical hellscapes work it was deemed unprofitable and production ceased. I've tried looking for it but without keywords googling has been entirely unhelpful

Maybe an Orphan Drug?
https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/fda-orphan-drugs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That's a hell of a list. But it was about a genetic mutation that affected only a handful of people, maybe a few thousand or ten thousand, that made their blood go milky white if they consumed something specific. I remember one part of the article talked about how a guy with it wanted to have a beer for his 21st birthday and died from it. And this cure would literally eradicate the mutation from all of humanity, but was deemed not profitable so they scrapped it, with the last doses going for 10 dollars on clearance or something.

I remember a bunch of the article but nothing from it that would actually help me find it specifically. :v:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a hell of a list. But it was about a genetic mutation that affected only a handful of people, maybe a few thousand or ten thousand, that made their blood go milky white if they consumed something specific. I remember one part of the article talked about how a guy with it wanted to have a beer for his 21st birthday and died from it. And this cure would literally eradicate the mutation from all of humanity, but was deemed not profitable so they scrapped it, with the last doses going for 10 dollars on clearance or something.

I remember a bunch of the article but nothing from it that would actually help me find it specifically. :v:

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/glybera

This one maybe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

THAT'S THE ONE! THANK YOU!

dude at work was curious about it and I wanted to link it to him but could not find it. It's a real drat good and harrowing article.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1204420150071447554

"Handing Trump a major win"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL We're so loving hosed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1204420150071447554

"Handing Trump a major win"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL We're so loving hosed.

....bipartisanship in the form of pro business is a helluva drug

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Why Donald Trump Could Still Resign
time.com/December 9, 2019
"Like in the Nixon case, the primer to the resignation bullet is in the hands of the Supreme Court. In Nixon, the President’s lawyers defended against a subpoena for Oval Office tapes on the grounds of executive privilege. They argued that a President was “absolutely immune” from judicial process with respect to his conduct while in office. The Court unanimously rejected that argument and ordered him to turn over the subpoenaed material, which contained conclusive evidence of both the President’s criminal complicity in the cover-up to the Watergate burglary and his obstruction of justice in seeking to thwart the FBI investigation. Nixon resigned 16 days after publication of the Supreme Court decision."

If the Witnesses Could Exonerate Trump, Why Aren’t They Testifying?
theatlantic.com/December 9, 2019
"Trump’s defenders suggest that White House aides could exculpate the president—but the evidence suggests otherwise."

Trump attacks his own FBI director after he defends report finding no anti-Trump plot
abcnews.go.com/December 10, 2019
"President Donald Trump on Tuesday blasted his hand-picked FBI director, Christopher Wray, after he defended the core finding of the Justice Department's inspector general report that the FBI’s counterintelligence investigation involving the Trump campaign and Russia in 2016 was not motivated by political bias."

GOP Lawyer Refuses to Admit Trump Even Wanted to Discredit Biden
nymag.com/intelligencer/Dec. 9, 2019
"The House Republican impeachment defense of President Trump has been an experiment in pointillistic surrealism, in which disconnected pieces of information — some true, some false — are slushed together into a dreamlike haze in which nothing is certain. The most emblematic moment in this defense came during Monday’s impeachment hearings when Steve Castor, the Republican lead counsel, answered a series of simple, obvious questions about President Trump’s motives to discredit Joe Biden."

'Whose side are you on?' HPD chief slams Sens. Cornyn, Cruz in wake of death
abc13.com/December 10, 2019
'Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo demanded U.S. senators from Texas choose sides in an ongoing gun control battle Monday morning.

"Make up your minds," Acevedo asked of GOP Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. "Whose side are you on? Gun manufacturers? The gun lobby, or the children who are getting gunned down in this country every single day?"'

CBP denies access to doctors seeking flu vaccinations for migrant children
sandiegouniontribune.com/Dec. 9, 2019
"Doctors say they will come back each day to administer free flu shots until they are successful"

Fossil fuel firms 'could be sued' for climate change
independent.co.uk/1 day ago
"Filipino human rights committee finds world’s biggest oil companies have legal and moral responsibilities to act, as Greta Thunberg says children's rights being violated"

Brazil's president calls Greta Thunberg a 'brat'
thehill.com/12/10/19
'Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro slammed climate activist Greta Thunberg on Tuesday, calling the Swedish teenager a "brat" for her efforts to raise awareness of the need to cut greenhouse gas emissions.'

Strikes Spread Across France for 6th Day, but Government Defends Its Pension Plans
nytimes.com/Dec. 10, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
'Nakedly Authoritarian': Trump Taunts Security Guard for Not Being Rough With Woman Protester
commondreams.org/December 11, 2019
'During a campaign rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania Tuesday night, just hours after House Democrats unveiled articles of impeachment, President Donald Trump criticized an arena security guard for not being sufficiently rough while removing a woman who protested the event.

"Get her out. Get her out," Trump demanded as his supporters pointed and yelled at the demonstrator, who was wearing a #MeToo hat and holding a sign that read, "Grabbing Power Back."'

William Barr’s War on Reality, Truth, and the Law
motherjones.com/December 10, 2019
"For rogues, scoundrels, tyrants, princes and princesses of corruption—and their henchmen—the truth is a threat. It must be crushed. It must be vanquished. Abuse of power cannot exist alongside accountability. Malefactors cannot survive within an atmosphere of truth. It is a suffocating poison for them. So they must deceive, and they must dissemble. That is what the United States’ top law enforcement officer demonstrated this week"

Trump's team released a video of him as Thanos, the villain who commits genocide in the 'Avengers' movies, and people are puzzled
businessinsider.com/Dec 10, 2019

We have the articles of impeachment. Now what?
cnn.com/December 10, 2019
"We now know that as soon as next week the House will vote on two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump."

Harvey Weinstein settles with alleged victims — and he doesn’t have to pay a dime
nydailynews.com/Dec 11, 2019
"Harvey Weinstein has reached a tentative settlement with many of his alleged sexual misconduct victims — and he won’t have to pay a dime, according to a report.

Under the agreement, the insurance companies representing Weinstein’s bankrupt film studio would foot the $25 million bill for payments to women who have accused the disgraced movie mogul of rape and sexual misconduct, according to the New York Times.

The deal also does not require Weinstein to admit any wrongdoing."

Bill Cosby loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction
nbcnews.com/Dec. 10, 2019
"The disgraced comic claimed other accusers should not have been allowed to testify at his trial."

Why Aren’t White Mothers Being Blamed for the Opioid Crisis Like Black Mothers During the Crack Epidemic?
patheos.com/December 8, 2019 by Dr. Sam Kline
"As the nation faces the current opioid epidemic, why aren’t white mothers getting blamed for the crisis? What caused the United States to change our song and dance routine—our entire playlist for warring against drug epidemics? Is it as simple as learning from the past?"

Let ‘Devin Nunes’ Cow’ Remain Anonymous, Public Citizen and ACLU Tell Virginia Court
citizen.org/December 10, 2019
'A Virginia court should ensure that the person using the satirical Twitter pseudonym “Devin Nunes’ cow” (@DevinCow) can remain anonymous, Public Citizen and the ACLU said today in a friend of the court (amicus) brief.'

A North Dakota county was poised to be first to bar refugees under Trump’s executive order. Residents said no.
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 10, 2019
"On Monday night, as temperatures plummeted into the single digits, more than 500 people filed into a middle-school cafeteria in Bismarck, N.D. Dressed in flannel work shirts, fleece-lined jackets and waterproof boots, they formed a snaking line that was as long as the room, women in colorful headscarves mingling alongside men in “Make America Great Again” caps.

It was the second time that the Burleigh County Commission attempted to hold a vote on whether the community would continue accepting refugees. In September, President Trump signed an executive order that requires states and local governments to give their written consent before refugees can resettled, and Burleigh County stood to be the first community to take advantage of those new rules. The decision had been slated to take place a week earlier, but too many people showed up and overwhelmed the commission chambers. Even the new venue proved to be standing room only, with a crowd that spilled outside the heavy wooden doors.

For four hours, sixth-generation North Dakotans and recent arrivals from Cameroon and Congo took turns delivering impassioned testimony in what was often a contentious debate. Ultimately, the commission voted 3-2 to keep welcoming refugees.

The decision largely carried symbolic resonance. The Trump administration has slashed the number of refugee arrivals nationwide, and Burleigh County, which has roughly 95,000 residents, took in just 24 refugees during fiscal year 2019, according to the North Dakota governor’s office. The community — home to Bismarck, the state’s capital — is slated to receive a similar number of refugees in fiscal year 2020, and the measure that passed on Monday caps the number of new arrivals at 25."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
USA TODAY's Editorial Board: Impeach President Trump
usatoday.com/12/11/19

Eric Holder: William Barr is unfit to be attorney general
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 11, 2019

The Perverse Servility of Bill Barr
nytimes.com/Dec. 10, 2019

It has come to this: Ted Cruz is Putin’s stooge
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 8, 2019

Outrageous: Lawrence VanDyke's Confirmation to Lifetime Judgeship on the Ninth Circuit an Affront to the LGBTQ Community
lambdalegal.org/December 11, 2019

Military Officials Sent Us to Fight, Kill, and Die in an Unwinnable War
thenation.com/Today 3:30 pm

‘I Know Nothing’: A Week After Death of UPS Driver and Police Refusing to Talk to the Family
thefreethoughtproject.com/December 12, 2019

Danny Glover Leads Charge For Reparations In Evanston
chicago.cbslocal.com/December 11, 2019

Over 1 million conservatives signed a petition against Netflix’s gay Jesus film
lgbtqnation.com/December 12, 2019
'One petition-signer called the film "a criminal offense," accusing it of anti-Christian "prejudice."'

Millennials Are Leaving Religion And Not Coming Back
fivethirtyeight.com/Dec. 12, 2019

Impeachment succeeds best when coupled with mass protests
qz.com/6 hours ago
"But for those who would like to see Trump ultimately ejected, they will likely be disappointed—two-thirds of the Senate needs to find the president guilty for that to happen and, with Senators expected to vote along partisan lines, the numbers just aren’t there.

The numbers aren’t missing just from the Senate, however, they are also conspicuously missing in another venue that, especially in recent years, has played a major role in driving impeachment processes around the world: the street."

Protests in the Trump Era Have Been Mostly Peaceful. Here's How the 2020 Election Could Change That
time.com/December 12, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Otteration posted:

Let ‘Devin Nunes’ Cow’ Remain Anonymous, Public Citizen and ACLU Tell Virginia Court
citizen.org/December 10, 2019
'A Virginia court should ensure that the person using the satirical Twitter pseudonym “Devin Nunes’ cow” (@DevinCow) can remain anonymous, Public Citizen and the ACLU said today in a friend of the court (amicus) brief.'

Is there a Mike Pence’s horse account?

mystes
May 31, 2006

How about Romney's dog?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump appears to set personal record for tweets in a day
thehill.com/12/12/19
"President Trump on Thursday set a personal record for use of Twitter in a single day since taking office, blasting out more than 120 tweets or retweets in 24 hours."

McConnell Faces Calls to Recuse Himself From Impeachment Trial After Saying 'No Chance' Trump Will Be Removed
commondreams.org/December 13, 2019
'...the Kentucky Republican said "there's no chance the president's going to be removed from office."'

Val Demings charges Mitch McConnell cannot take oath for impeachment, must withdraw
floridapolitics.com/December 13, 2019
"Contending that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s comments Thursday indicate he can no longer be an impartial juror, Democratic U.S. Rep. Val Demings charged Friday that he must recuse himself in any Senate impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

Demings, a former Orlando police chief, cited current Senate rules that require Senators in an impeachment to take an oath of impartial justice, and said McConnell no longer can take such an oath."

Mitch McConnell Laughs While Bragging About How He Sabotaged President Obama
leftoverrights.com/December 13, 2019

House passes bill to lower prescription drug costs
cbsnews.com/December 12, 2019

Federal judge rules American Samoans are US citizens by birth
cnn.com/December 12, 2019
'"This court is not imposing "citizenship by judicial fiat." The action is required by the mandate of the Fourteenth Amendment as construed and applied by Supreme Court precedent," wrote Judge Clark Waddoups in the US District Court for the District of Utah.'

A Child’s Forehead Partially Removed, Four Deaths, The Wrong Medicine — A Secret Report Exposes Health Care For Jailed Immigrants
buzzfeednews.com/December 12, 2019
"The allegations appear in an explosive Department of Homeland Security memo, obtained by BuzzFeed News, containing reports of detainees being given incorrect medication, suffering from delays in treating withdrawal symptoms, and one who was allowed to become so mentally unstable he lacerated his own penis and required reparative surgery."

Anti-Johnson protests kick off in London and Glasgow
aljazeera.com/6 hours ago
"Hundreds of protesters have marched through central London to protest against the United Kingdom's snap election result that saw Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Conservative Party sweep to a landslide victory."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Is there a Mike Pence’s horse account?

If Pence could learn even some of the ways to gently caress himself that Nunes has, he might leave the poor horsees alone.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

How about Romney's dog?

See also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

New poll shows Lindsey Graham 'extremely vulnerable' in 2020
americanindependent.com/December 13, 2019

Throw it at some SC folks if you know any (or know any that know any).