Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Peter FitzSimmons is not at all the same person as Angry Anderson. FitzSimmons seems like a decent bloke, while Anderson is an Islamophobic RWNJ. I really don't know how I managed to conflate them, other than maybe their hair?

Honestly, how the gently caress? Ones a giant bloke who played Lock in international rugby and writes books about history and the other is 5 foot tall pub rock musician and white nationalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
JG Quintel and Ian JQ are two different people who work on two different cartoon shows.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

Peter FitzSimmons is not at all the same person as Angry Anderson. FitzSimmons seems like a decent bloke, while Anderson is an Islamophobic RWNJ. I really don't know how I managed to conflate them, other than maybe their hair?

I met Fitz a few years back at a mining function and he has the biggest appearance:intelligence disparity I've ever observed. You're like "wait how did that trenchant insight come out of that enormous boofhead?"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

I met Fitz a few years back at a mining function and he has the biggest appearance:intelligence disparity I've ever observed. You're like "wait how did that trenchant insight come out of that enormous boofhead?"

Maybe he had some sense knocked into him.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pocket Billiards posted:

Honestly, how the gently caress? Ones a giant bloke who played Lock in international rugby and writes books about history and the other is 5 foot tall pub rock musician and white nationalist

Yeah. I have no idea either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If you combine Ferrari + Fiero you get (Guy) Fieri.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Memento posted:

I was trying to get from one end of a busy airport to the other once and ended up slipstreaming behind this oversized caveman stamping his way through the crowds. When he turned to go to baggage collection I saw his forehead and realised it was Fitz. I thought 'I just liked that guy's tweet about safe injecting rooms on the taxi ride over'.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mister Facetious posted:

If you combine Ferrari + Fiero you get (Guy) Fieri.

And you're supposed to pronounce it "Fiedi", apparently.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Actor Angus MacFadyen's name is indeed MacFadyen and not, as I've always read it, MacFayden.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

bony tony posted:

And you're supposed to pronounce it "Fiedi", apparently.

Have you never heard of a rolled R?

(Guy Fieri is a huge homophobe and misogynist and I wish people would stop making him funny meme guy with hair and car.)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

packetmantis posted:

(Guy Fieri is a huge homophobe and misogynist and I wish people would stop making him funny meme guy with hair and car.)

No he isn't, and I wish people would stop spreading this rumour!

https://www.afterellen.com/tv/417129-guy-fieri-speaks-late-gay-sister-marrying-sex-couples-florida

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

packetmantis posted:

Uh, he’s not the least bit homophobic. He’s officiated over more than 100 gay marriages.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What about the misogyny? Need women apply to work in Flavortown?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I realized recently that the -th suffix (meaning, roughly, "-ness") is more widespread than I'd known, and in lots of words that I use routinely and just never thought about. We all know "warmth", and many of us know its opposite "coolth", but words like "wealth" ("weal" meaning "good fortune"), "stealth" ("steal" meaning "move quietly", as in "steal across the courtyard"), "health" ("heal" meaning "make well"), etc. also follow that pattern.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Besesoth posted:

I realized recently that the -th suffix (meaning, roughly, "-ness") is more widespread than I'd known, and in lots of words that I use routinely and just never thought about. We all know "warmth", and many of us know its opposite "coolth", but words like "wealth" ("weal" meaning "good fortune"), "stealth" ("steal" meaning "move quietly", as in "steal across the courtyard"), "health" ("heal" meaning "make well"), etc. also follow that pattern.

Bolded is where I assumed this was a joke post.

Today I learned a word.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Memento posted:

Today I learned a word.

Why did you think Hoth is considered such a funny and ironic name?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

Why did you think Hoth is considered such a funny and ironic name?

I had literally never given it any thought at all.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Memento posted:

Today I learned a word.

holy gently caress

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Guy Fieri is stuck permanently acting out a manufactured persona from a reality show.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Besesoth posted:

I've never thought about it before but I guess leng, wid, and dep are derived from long, wide and deep, huh?

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Nov 30, 2019

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

"Landed gentry" doesn't mean rich people who arrived by ship.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arbitrary Number posted:

"Landed gentry" doesn't mean rich people who arrived by ship.

Gentrification getting even more sinister in the context of class war

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The gentry have landed.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Phlegmish posted:

My experience over the years has been that people never, ever shut up about how cold it is. I hear it almost every single day. Most of the time when they do this it's perfectly fine for me despite the fact that I'm usually wearing something short-sleeved.

I try to be understanding, I assume it's a legitimate complaint from their point of view. I've read that men and women prefer different temperatures, and there are probably a bunch of other metabolic factors in play.

lmao

when i went on testosterone i went from a person who wore a sweatshirt when it's 70 to a person who wears a t-shirt when it's 38. it is frankly WILD how much testosterone is apparently a space heater for your blood

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MariusLecter posted:

The gentry have landed.

Me, seeing a higgins boat disembarking a bunch of trust fund kids: There goes the neighborhood.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hardcordion posted:

I've never thought about it before but I guess leng, wid, and dep are derived from long, wide and deep, huh?

Related, my father in law uses ‘heighth’ but I can never tell if he’s joking.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
As someone who barely brushes her own hair, it amazes me to see so many intricate hairstyles, only to realize later it's a wig. Cher comes to mind. I figured since I didn't do much with my hair, clearly they did and look at the results!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

christmas boots posted:

What about the misogyny? Need women apply to work in Flavortown?

Well, his sister was also a woman, so clearly he can't be misogynist either.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uh, he’s not the least bit homophobic. He’s officiated over more than 100 gay marriages.

he apparently used to genuinely be very, very weird about gay people and there's some pretty bad stories from his show. it also seems to be a situation he responded to by going "man i was acting like an rear end in a top hat, i should stop that" and doing better.

it's worth lauding him for doing better, but that doesn't mean you should erase him having been lovely in the past.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New and improved Flavortown is all inclusive

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

So nothing, then?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

So nothing, then?

What is Guy? Just a miserable little pile of secret sauces!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he apparently used to genuinely be very, very weird about gay people and there's some pretty bad stories from his show. it also seems to be a situation he responded to by going "man i was acting like an rear end in a top hat, i should stop that" and doing better.

it's worth lauding him for doing better, but that doesn't mean you should erase him having been lovely in the past.

I think also all those stories came from two former employees, one of whom was at the time working for the other.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

packetmantis posted:

Back up your accusations with some evidence, or don't make them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cowslips Warren posted:

As someone who barely brushes her own hair, it amazes me to see so many intricate hairstyles, only to realize later it's a wig. Cher comes to mind. I figured since I didn't do much with my hair, clearly they did and look at the results!

Reminds me of that thing Dolly Parton said: "People always ask me how long it takes to do my hair. I don’t know, I’m never there."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Literally all of that's coming from one tell all from somebody that got fired from his show though. It clearly does not mesh with his actual behavior considering a lot of the charity work he does is specifically to honor the memory of his deceased lesbian sister.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Literally all of that's coming from one tell all from somebody that got fired from his show though. It clearly does not mesh with his actual behavior considering a lot of the charity work he does is specifically to honor the memory of his deceased lesbian sister.

I mean it's absolutely possible for people (especially straight guys!) to be 100% cool with queer women but not queer men, but also I think if it were an actual thing there would be more than just the one statement from someone who got fired. Certainly not enough to write the dude off entirely.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lot of Fieri fans in this thread!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think people just assume he's a douche from the way he looks but apparently he's contractually obligated to forever look like an early 2000's bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I went to a little dive bar on the outskirts of New Orleans a few weeks ago, and on the wall immediately above my table was a framed photo of a Guy Fieri which he’d signed. On it he wrote “best turtle soup I’ve ever had!”

So I had the turtle soup, and sure enough it was also the best turtle soup that I’ve ever had. That’s my Guy Fieri story.