Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Imports replacement is cool strategy and all, but this may turn out to be quite silly: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50507849

I expect Yandex.Maps or Yandex.Music to be pre-installed on all devices by retailers, and that would be the extent of it. Just like with Russia's ban of Telegram, I can't imagine it being effectively enforced in any capacity. Maybe they'll try to collect fines from Apple and Samsung once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I expect Yandex.Maps or Yandex.Music to be pre-installed on all devices by retailers, and that would be the extent of it. Just like with Russia's ban of Telegram, I can't imagine it being effectively enforced in any capacity. Maybe they'll try to collect fines from Apple and Samsung once in a while.

Don’t forget that Orthodox Instagram thing from 2014.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don’t forget that Orthodox Instagram thing from 2014.

Ha-ha, what now? Those Russian patriotic social networks keep popping up so often, I don't even know all of them anymore.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I can't imagine Apple agreeing to preinstalling 3rd party software on their devices. I don't think there's precedent even in dictatorships.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Ha-ha, what now? Those Russian patriotic social networks keep popping up so often, I don't even know all of them anymore.

There were a few, Rublev.com was one and another one was Елицы, probably a few more that I missed since they were all popping up around the Ukraine fervour like mushrooms after rain.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hi Eastern Europe thread. I hate these threads, and I hate the vast majority of people who post in them.

Albania got hit by an earthquake, there's half a dozen dead and over three hundred injured, some people still trapped in ruble, and heavy material damage. If you can keep an eye on things an send them some money to help the recovery efforts if you see the chance, I'd hate you a tiny bit less.

Bye Eastern Europe thread.

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 26, 2019

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

my dad posted:

Hi Eastern Europe thread. I hate these threads, and I hate the vast majority of people who post in them.

Albania got hit by an earthquake, there's half a dozen dead and over three hundred injured, some people still trapped in ruble, and heavy material damage. If you can keep an eye on things an send them some money to help the recovery efforts if you see the chance, I'd hate you a tiny bit less.

You could've researched donation options and posted them here, instead of making this bizarre attack on the thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I can't imagine Apple agreeing to preinstalling 3rd party software on their devices. I don't think there's precedent even in dictatorships.

They did just agree to show Crimea as part of Russia I'm their lovely maps so maybe they'll roll over on this too

my dad posted:

That's just a Tuesday by EE standards

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They did just agree to show Crimea as part of Russia I'm their lovely maps so maybe they'll roll over on this too

Google's been doing this for various "disputed" territories since forever but they are smart and show particular versions of their maps depending on where you're accessing them from.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Google's been doing this for various "disputed" territories since forever but they are smart and show particular versions of their maps depending on where you're accessing them from.

that's sort of apple did here. if i'm not mistaken, crimea is countryless when viewed outside russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

that's sort of apple did here. if i'm not mistaken, crimea is countryless when viewed outside russia.

Yeah for me in Latvia Apple Maps does nowhere actually say that Crimea is in Ukraine - it just exists there with no clear border lines or country attribution.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Courageous move.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Courageous move.

Yep. They've also altered search so that if I search some street in Simferopol by street name only then it won't appear in the suggested locations. Have to type Something street, Simferopol to get the result.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
At some point the space required for special handling rules to appease various entities will probably overtake and exceed the space required by the search index itself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It must drive the developers nuts too, they come up with a clean elegant algorithm that works globally but then need to hack in ugly workarounds to appease the snowflakes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

It must drive the developers nuts too, they come up with a clean elegant algorithm that works globally but then need to hack in ugly workarounds to appease the snowflakes

nothing about maps involves clean algorithms that work globally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yep, surprisingly enough "where are we" and "what time is it" is quite complex in computing, since real life has irregularities (and software often is quite bad or has baked in developer-centric assumptions).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Doctor Malaver posted:

You could've researched donation options and posted them here, instead of making this bizarre attack on the thread.

That would take effort they cannot spare in-between hating this thread and doing ??

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xarn posted:

That would take effort they cannot spare in-between hating this thread and doing ??

Hating one of the three or four China threads most probably.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/TatAtfender/sta...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/s...ingawful.com%2F

Oh boy are Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic countries not going to be happy.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The gently caress??

(And yes, as someone whose birth country borders both of those, this does not make me happy at all.)

ETA: hahaha it's kinda funny to think that the two places I've split my life between and have ties to are now defined by Brexit on one side and Russia-Belarus bromance on the other, talk about a rock and a hard place.

ETAA: i guess i also have family in Florida. Clearly an option that trumps the others.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 30, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MARIUPOL IS GONE HOLY loving poo poo 3 years of spouting this prediction. Hate to see it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

MARIUPOL IS GONE HOLY loving poo poo 3 years of spouting this prediction. Hate to see it.

How is it 'gone', exactly?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't there rumors about the Belarus thing for ages now? Putin and Lukashenka can dock or do whatever the hell they want though. Now the DPR poo poo is way more concerning wtf.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Weren't there rumors about the Belarus thing for ages now? Putin and Lukashenka can dock or do whatever the hell they want though. Now the DPR poo poo is way more concerning wtf.

Lukashenko is constantly going back and forth on deeper integration with Russia. He's clearly planning something ahead of the 2020 presidential elections, but it's hard to say what exactly. According to various polls, while the majority of Belarusians see Russia as an important strategic partner and in general as a brotherly nation, becoming part of Russia is not something they are enthusiastic about. And the trend after Ukrainian events is that support of Russia is slowly getting lower. Maybe Lukashenko prepares for a dramatic 180 to show himself as the defender of Belarusian independence. The man is an enigma.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The only thing preventing a complete integration between Belarus and Russia is that Lukashenka has enough work on his plate just governing Belarus.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Lukashenko is constantly going back and forth on deeper integration with Russia. He's clearly planning something ahead of the 2020 presidential elections, but it's hard to say what exactly. According to various polls, while the majority of Belarusians see Russia as an important strategic partner and in general as a brotherly nation, becoming part of Russia is not something they are enthusiastic about. And the trend after Ukrainian events is that support of Russia is slowly getting lower. Maybe Lukashenko prepares for a dramatic 180 to show himself as the defender of Belarusian independence. The man is an enigma.

An enigma who made himself eternal president and despite the complaints everyone is fine with that. I know there is no real opposition to him, but don't people get bored after a while?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

Lukashenko is constantly going back and forth on deeper integration with Russia. [...] The man is an enigma.

IMO, the explanation is simple.
Back: wanna keep his personal power over Belarus, instead of giving it away to Putin
Forth: fully aware he can't stand up to Putin and will lose more if he's an obstacle to Vova's plans

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plus lateral movement of EU being a close and rich entity, managing which amicably is in economical interests of Belarus.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rust Martialis posted:

Sorry maybe gone is an over estimate. Little drunk last night when i was reading these articles.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Rust Martialis posted:

War Crime Gigolo is a guy who talks about international affairs like a 13 year old talking about Dragonball Z theories.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More Russian shenanigans around MH17. Back in July it was revealed the Ukrainian SBU had kidnapped separatist Vladimir Tsemakh from Eastern Ukraine. A Ukrainian citizen, Tsemakh was believed to have been involved with hiding the Buk missile launcher that shot down MH17, and the Dutch had hoped to extradite him as a witness for the March 2020 court cases in The Netherlands. Except, in September 2019 he was released by a Ukrainian court at the same time as a Russian prisoner swap with the Ukrainians, and immediately left for Russia. Even though he's a Ukrainian citizen, his release was believed to be part of that same prisoner swap deal. However, as a Ukrainian citizen in Russia, he could still legally be extradited by Russia to The Netherlands, so the Dutch made that request. The Dutch public prosecution service just published details of what happened next:

quote:

Today the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) has informed the Russian authorities of its findings regarding the Dutch request for the provisional arrest of a person who may have been involved in the downing of flight MH17.

As he himself has announced in the media, this concerns Mr Vladimir Tsemakh. The PPS regards him as a suspect, but a decision whether it will prosecute him has not yet been taken. For the decision to prosecute more evidence is required than for the decision to consider someone a suspect.

Tsemakh was arrested in Ukraine and detained for other criminal offences. The investigation into his role in the downing of flight MH17 is still ongoing. During Tsemakh’s detention in Kiev, the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) questioned him several times about his involvement but could not prevent Mr Tsemakh from being transferred to the Russian Federation on 7 September 2019 as part of a prisoner exchange.

To prevent that Tsemakh would evade the investigation, the PPS immediately requested his arrest for the purpose of extradition to the Netherlands. The Russian Federation does not extradite its own citizens but since Mr Tsemakh is a Ukranian citizen, there were no impediments for his extradition.

Before the plane with the exchanged prisoners landed in Moscow that day, the PPS got confirmation that Russia had received the request for Mr Tsemakh’s arrest. When his immediate arrest failed to occur, the PPS contacted the Russian authorities several times and advised them of the possible flight risk of Mr Tsemakh. Since there were indications that he wanted to return to Eastern Ukraine.

On 23 September 2019 the Russian authorities informed the PPS that they were considering the request, but required additional information. In later correspondence even more information was requested, which was repeatedly provided. According to the PPS this information had no relevance to the decision to arrest Mr Tsemakh.

The request for his arrest was frequently reiterated through Dutch diplomatic and political channels and Russia was called upon to give full and prompt cooperation. The Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Blok, stressed the urgency of the request, both in writing and in a personal meeting with his Russian counterpart, Mr Lavrov. The urgent need for swift execution of the request was also emphasized at European level, both by Mr Blok and by the Dutch Prime-Minister, Mr Rutte.

On 19 November 2019 the Public Prosecution Service received notification from the Russian authorities that the request for the arrest of Mr Tsemakh could not be executed because no information regarding the whereabouts of Mr Tsemakh in the Russian Federation was available.

According to media reports Mr Tsemakh had already returned to his residence in Eastern Ukraine. From there he cannot be extradited.

The Public Prosecution Service has concluded that Russia willingly allowed Mr Tsemakh to leave the Russian Federation and refused to execute the Dutch request. While under the European Convention on Extradition, it was obliged to do so.

The PPS has shared this conclusion with the Russian authorities. The PPS has also informed the next of kin of the MH17 victims.

The events concerning Mr Tsemakh have no effect on the start of the MH17 criminal trial. This will commence on 9 March 2020 at 10:00 AM, in the court building Justitieel Complex Schiphol.

Four suspects, Igor Vsevolodovich GIRKIN, Sergey Nikolayevich DUBINSKIY, Oleg Yuldashevich PULATOV and Leonid Volodymyrovych KHARCHENKO have been summoned to appear on this day. In their case the judge will deliver a judgment on the accusations.

My highlighting in the text, but this just adds to the pile of Russia acting as guilty as possible in relation to MH17.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 2, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

More Russian shenanigans around MH17. Back in July it was revealed the Ukrainian SBU had kidnapped separatist Vladimir Tsemakh from Eastern Ukraine. A Ukrainian citizen, Tsemakh was believed to have been involved with hiding the Buk missile launcher that shot down MH17, and the Dutch had hoped to extradite him as a witness for the March 2020 court cases in The Netherlands. Except, in September 2019 he was released by a Ukrainian court at the same time as a Russian prisoner swap with the Ukrainians, and immediately left for Russia. Even though he's a Ukrainian citizen, his release was believed to be part of that same prisoner swap deal. However, as a Ukrainian citizen in Russia, he could still legally be extradited by Russia to The Netherlands, so the Dutch made that request. The Dutch public prosecution service [ur=https://www.om.nl/actueel/nieuwsberichten/@107214/press-release/]just published details of what happened next[/url]:

'According to media reports Mr Tsemakh had already returned to his residence in Eastern Ukraine. From there he cannot be extradited.'

Does this part mean he's back in LDNR or in some unoccupied part of Eastern Ukraine?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 2, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Paladinus posted:

'According to media reports Mr Tsemakh had already returned to his residence in Eastern Ukraine. From there he cannot be extradited.'

Does this part mean he's back in LDNR or in some unoccupied part of Eastern Ukraine?

It would be the L/DNR, my understanding is that the Dutch could also request Ukraine extradite him from territories they control if he wasn't in separatist controlled areas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

It would be the L/DNR, my understanding is that the Dutch could also request Ukraine extradite him from territories they control if he wasn't in separatist controlled areas.

Okay, that makes sense, I guess. But is there anything preventing SBU from detaining him again from the legal perspective? I suspect if he wasn't welcome in Russia, he might want to try to leave L/DNR soon, too.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Okay, that makes sense, I guess. But is there anything preventing SBU from detaining him again from the legal perspective? I suspect if he wasn't welcome in Russia, he might want to try to leave L/DNR soon, too.

I think the SBU might not have another go as they lost a man in the last attempt, and it just ended up with the government handing him over to Russia. We'll see if we can get an interview with someone from the Dutch public prosecutors office for the update episode of the MH17 podcast we'll be recording soonish.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've just published a new piece revealing the true identity of another Russian agent, this time the identity of the Berlin assassin who killed Zelimkhan Khangoshvili earlier this year:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/12/03/identifying-the-berlin-bicycle-assassin-part-1-from-moscow-to-berlin/

Bit different from usual, instead of it being a GRU agent we're exposing the identity of, this time around it's a murderer who killed a Russian businessman in 2013, who was subject to an Interpol red notice that was withdrawn in 2015. It appears the Russian authorities arrested him, then started using him for their own dirty work, eventually purging records of his real identity and earlier arrest from their systems and issuing him with a fake identity. Unfortunately for Russia, a lot of their databases with information of their citizens have been leaked over the last several years, and his records are still on there, but on the live Russian systems they've been removed, something that could only be done with state level interference.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nice avatar, BM.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I literally just postal voted for Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

German Generalbundesanwalt, I think that's the chief federal prosecutor or something in english? is expected to take over the case. Curious to see how this goes, Merkel has been phoning it in lately and no political party is interested in making a mess over this either. Minimal disturbance is the safe guess.