Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The day I switch the password of my meal check provider to a Keepass one, it gets hacked. Nice timing. I wonder if they got a dump before or after my new password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The day I switch the password of my meal check provider to a Keepass one, it gets hacked. Nice timing. I wonder if they got a dump before or after my new password.
It sounds like a trove that's been accessible for quite some time on a public :yaybutt:
So likely it's your old password.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Before. The alternative is that the breach was discovered and reported within one day.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some details came out on national news sites. Apparently some malware attack, FWIW. Which isn't exactly confidence inspiring either.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How long until it comes out that Google, Facebook and company actively seek out the data dumps every time this happens

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

klosterdev posted:

How long until it comes out that Google, Facebook and company actively seek out the data dumps every time this happens

if it's the PDL breach you're talking about they already had that info

it was "just" job histories, emails, social media profiles, phone numbers, and personal data all collated together. problematic obviously but that information is out there and for sale already. they don't need to seek out these data dumps because they've already matched or exceeded it already

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone have experience with PentesterLab and how it compares to HackTheBox? I’ve had HTB VIP for the past year or so when I started OSCP and I’m looking for new service, good variety of platforms, more up to date vulns, etc.

https://pentesterlab.com/pro

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

klosterdev posted:

I’m pretty sure they both pull breach dumps in order to lock accounts with reused passwords, yes.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Diva Cupcake posted:

Anyone have experience with PentesterLab and how it compares to HackTheBox? I’ve had HTB VIP for the past year or so when I started OSCP and I’m looking for new service, good variety of platforms, more up to date vulns, etc.

I'm still on HtB tbh. I'm gonna check this out though and I'll post back what what I think :>

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know I've seen it mentioned in an Infosec/oscp prep discord I'm in and it has always received positive reviews.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Is this the thread to talk about VPN's?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Billa posted:

Is this the thread to talk about VPN's?

You can, sure.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
What VPN's are you guys using? I'm trying to find the one after testing a bunch but I didn't hit the spot yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Billa posted:

What VPN's are you guys using? I'm trying to find the one after testing a bunch but I didn't hit the spot yet.

Personal use: Wireguard and OpenVPN.

For security purposes/anonymity: ProtonVPN

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
None, you should assume that they're all some flavor of either awful or compromised. Don't rely on them for anything more than getting around geo blocking Netflix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

None, you should assume that they're all some flavor of either awful or compromised. Don't rely on them for anything more than getting around geo blocking Netflix.

Do you mean cloud VPN companies, or did openvpn get popped?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

True.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean cloud VPN companies, or did openvpn get popped?

I'd have to assume he means all the cloud companies, because remote access VPNs aint going anywhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, yeah. We have a VPN into our AWS VPC and so forth and I was afraid I was going to have a busy Monday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

OK, yeah. We have a VPN into our AWS VPC and so forth and I was afraid I was going to have a busy Monday.

No new CVEs for OpenVPN that I've heard lately.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Billa posted:

First choice: Mullvad. Second choice: Proton.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know I've seen it mentioned in an Infosec/oscp prep discord I'm in and it has always received positive reviews.

I just bought it. Hope it doesn’t suck.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've kinda always wanted to get a job in the cybersec part of corporate IT, but my recent experience with it atleast at $currentcompany is that its effectively running nessus and making note of the poo poo nessus finds, while me and my compatriots in the infrastructure department are the ones who handle poo poo like firewalls, vpns, user education, patching, site access control, most of the policy stuff, and a lot of other stuff that I would think would fall in the cyber security divisions lap. Is this a common thing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I'd have to assume he means all the cloud companies, because remote access VPNs aint going anywhere.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the commercial VPN providers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I've kinda always wanted to get a job in the cybersec part of corporate IT, but my recent experience with it atleast at $currentcompany is that its effectively running nessus and making note of the poo poo nessus finds, while me and my compatriots in the infrastructure department are the ones who handle poo poo like firewalls, vpns, user education, patching, site access control, most of the policy stuff, and a lot of other stuff that I would think would fall in the cyber security divisions lap. Is this a common thing?
It is if your infra team keeps letting a basic scan find legit issues, and your CISO has literally zero weight I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

It is, SOC is usually incidents, you might have a guy who handles Firewalls/WAFs, but its often in network ops court.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Powered Descent posted:

First choice: Mullvad. Second choice: Proton.

I've switched to Mullvad (tried it a long time ago) and I'm quite happy with it.

BTW which password managers do you guys use? Right now I'm using Keeper and its working good although I wish it had a PIN unlock feature.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
KeepAss is popular around here, mainly because of the name

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Billa posted:

I've switched to Mullvad (tried it a long time ago) and I'm quite happy with it.

BTW which password managers do you guys use? Right now I'm using Keeper and its working good although I wish it had a PIN unlock feature.

1Password

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just went from KeePass to KeePass2 on the desktop and Keepass2Android on my phone. I wasn't unhappy before but I am positively delighted now. Keepass2Android can talk directly to Dropbox, so sync is not an issue at all. I use a key file that isn't in Dropbox, so even if an attacker cracks Dropbox wide open, they'd still have trouble brute-forcing my database. I don't bother with plugins, I just do a lot of tinkering with auto-type strings in Windows, or the Keepass2Android keyboard in Android.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

evil_bunnY posted:

It is if your infra team keeps letting a basic scan find legit issues, and your CISO has literally zero weight I guess.

yeah. i’m still learning how to sort through companies like this in the interview period, so my current job is pretty poo poo (but it does pay well)!

Defenestrategy posted:

ime small shop infosec seems to be at least some, maybe all, of:
- run everything scan related: scan infra > triage > project manage the remediation process
- run everything SEIM related: admin the SEIM, tweak rules, do terrible IDR
- do user education / yell about phishing
- run the probably corp mandated AV

there’s also a lot of straight up infra work that is needed in security roles, which i particularly enjoy. writing playbooks to automate new collector / scan engine build outs, gluing a bunch of messaging services into your actual company-used messaging service, automating reports from services that don’t have a real reporting engine, creation of tooling in python and powershell, etc etc.

i am very surprised your infra folks are doing policy creation lol.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
3rding Keepass

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Current 1Password but them constantly trying to push me into some monthly bullshit is starting to make me think about changing to something else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cr0y posted:

Current 1Password but them constantly trying to push me into some monthly bullshit is starting to make me think about changing to something else.

What "bullshit"?? I haven't gotten so much as an email from them for ages and it works just fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just unsubscribr from the marketing emails. There should be a link at the bottom. Might take a few days because some jurisdictions give companies a grace period because the laws assume some human being manually maintains marketing email lists.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jowj posted:

yeah. i’m still learning how to sort through companies like this in the interview period, so my current job is pretty poo poo (but it does pay well)!

ime small shop infosec seems to be at least some, maybe all, of:
- run everything scan related: scan infra > triage > project manage the remediation process
- run everything SEIM related: admin the SEIM, tweak rules, do terrible IDR
- do user education / yell about phishing
- run the probably corp mandated AV

there’s also a lot of straight up infra work that is needed in security roles, which i particularly enjoy. writing playbooks to automate new collector / scan engine build outs, gluing a bunch of messaging services into your actual company-used messaging service, automating reports from services that don’t have a real reporting engine, creation of tooling in python and powershell, etc etc.

Yeah, in Enterprise, security rarely actually touches anything. The do scans and then tell whoever owns the things that failed to fix it.

Good ones will actually look at the nessus results to see if any of the failures are relevant

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anyone heard of Dashlane? How straight garbage is it? It purports to track whether your account info has been bundled up and sold and lets you change all your passwords with the click of a button.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jowj posted:

I get the feeling, and this could be completely wrong, that cybersec at my company is strictly there as a fig leaf to customers saying "Hey we have a couple of dudes with cybersec certs on our roster.", I was just curious if that was par for the course or not.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 2, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Anyone heard of Dashlane? How straight garbage is it? It purports to track whether your account info has been bundled up and sold and lets you change all your passwords with the click of a button.

Well the first one is easy, it probably has.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I just went from KeePass to KeePass2 on the desktop and Keepass2Android on my phone. I wasn't unhappy before but I am positively delighted now. Keepass2Android can talk directly to Dropbox, so sync is not an issue at all. I use a key file that isn't in Dropbox, so even if an attacker cracks Dropbox wide open, they'd still have trouble brute-forcing my database. I don't bother with plugins, I just do a lot of tinkering with auto-type strings in Windows, or the Keepass2Android keyboard in Android.

Browser integration plugins are so nice though. But I have to ask. Why are you using the Keepass2Android keyboard? Are you on an older version of Android? Since version 8 (Oreo), Android has had an autofill service and Keepass2Android supports it. You tap the autofill button. Keepass2Android will say it can't find an autofill entry so you tap the "Select another entry" button, navigate to the password you want, and tell it to use that one. It will then save the app affiliation into your database. Now every time you tap the autofill button, it will just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've been using it for a couple of years now. I'm happy with it. I'm sure in whatever period of time, something will gently caress up, and I'll find out everything is owned, but in the meantime its great. My wife has an account as well, and we can share passwords, so if I reset our Netflix account, it auto-syncs the new password to her account.