Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Tae posted:

If you're talking about Amakusa, he had historical reason to be mad at the japanese in that era

The Shimabara Rebellion has not been namedropped a ton for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

dogsicle posted:

they never should've put in the bond bonuses

:agreed:

People making themselves miserable over what amounts to a drop in the bucket of bond point requirements is absurd.

The biggest problem with Shimosa tho is that plugsuit is basically required to efficiently get Musashi off the frontline.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dogsicle posted:

they never should've put in the bond bonuses

Actually they should have kept doing it with every chapter it's made each EoR chapter much more interesting because trying to get as many bonus Servants as possible can be an interesting challenge.

And the bond bonus is minor enough in the grand scheme of things that when something was hard enough to need drop the gimmick it wasn't too big a dea.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The bond bonus mechanic is pretty neat. It's purely optional but lets people who want a bigger challenge have it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ideally Shimosa would have like, encounter design on a level that is on par with what they've been doing in Lostbelt/Gilfest like:

- give support Musashi special buffs to nullify class affinity vs Inferno
- have a faster ramp on her skill/level improvement so she's slightly less of a liability
- add progressively more powerful/varied buffs to Musashi as she defeats swordmasters so she's a halfway decent option in the handful of fights where she's hitting neutral anyways

the standardized 50% starting NP/50% NPgen CE that as added to story supports with LB4 should be retroactive so that already helps her a bit despite the limitation of her gorilla design, it just doesn't quite do enough i think. otherwise you may notice all the Shimosa bosses have a slew of removable buffs and can also get debuff happy, things Musashi easily counters. so she's not like, bad, just limited by a bunch of larger design choices kinda washing out those advantages. like she did admirably for me against Hell Rider which is not a thing i would've expected.

and even thinking bond bonus is trap more often than not, Shimosa is fairly split in that you've got boss fights totally conducive to knight runs thanks to the enemies being knights as well. i just wouldn't want to adhere so strictly that i'm being gimped by the as-yet barely existant support knight options for annoying fights like Paraiso/Limbo.

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually they should have kept doing it with every chapter it's made each EoR chapter much more interesting because trying to get as many bonus Servants as possible can be an interesting challenge.

And the bond bonus is minor enough in the grand scheme of things that when something was hard enough to need drop the gimmick it wasn't too big a dea.

well i suppose i can elaborate and say i think the community reaction to it is the bad part, because i feel like there's too much grumbling about the struggles of a self imposed challenge than your more reasonable "oh well, this particular encounter isn't worth trying to brute force but it's drops in an ocean" attitude.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 30, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love the Bond bonus, but I didn't like it in Shimousa. Traits like Evil or Woman/Genderless are much more interesting to playa round with than Knights or Casters (in Salem).

Although Salem is a lot more doable with a full Caster team than Shimousa with Knights.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dogsicle posted:

it's drops in an ocean" attitude.

The Shuten/Raikou fight gives 1790 bond points. The knight classes get double bond points, so thats an extra 1790 bond points.

One run of a 40AP node in Chaldea Gate (so 40AP Hands, Training Grounds, or Doors) is worth 615 bond points. So the Knights bonus is worth less than 120AP worth of runs of Chaldea gate farm nodes. (1790/615=2.91)

Its not loving worth it, unless you want to challenge yourself, lol.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 30, 2019

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Speaking of Shimosa, that chapter prompted me to do a little learning about the Shimabara rebellion and that poo poo was extremely hosed up even by the standards of the time. Basically the rebellion was started by a starving, over-taxed, religiously suppressed population seeking freedom from brutal and incompetent rulers. It ended with some 37,000 people, including all non-combatants, women, children, infants, being beheaded, thrown into a mass grave, and burned.

I'm not surprised that broke the alternte Amakusa's brain just a bit. I'm more surprised that our Amakusa held together as well as he has.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm more surprised that our Amakusa held together as well as he has.

The Ruler class chills him out a lot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

naya delivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFTcf2JYy4

this setup seems like fun to the point where i'd consider pulling astolfo despite having okita. maybe they'll buff her so she's less boring though. also god drat is carmilla such an unexpectedly good flex support.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The amount of time you spend playing FGO with the usual bond points combined is worth more than bond gimmicks in EoR

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm sorry i just noticed the second mlb scope there...lmao

:sadwave:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

golems

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Tae posted:

If you're talking about Amakusa, he had historical reason to be mad at the japanese in that era

I guess that's one drawback of the fact that this game is made for a Japanese audience. The makers can assume that Japanese players are familiar with Amakusa's story and why he'd want to destroy the shogunate, his last words before being executed were "I shall return after 100 years and take my revenge!", but for someone unfamiliar with him his actions don't make sense.

Oh Snapple! posted:

People making themselves miserable over what amounts to a drop in the bucket of bond point requirements is absurd.

I used all-knight Servant parties for all the regular fights but added Waver and Merlin for the boss fights which allowed me to easily win. Those boss fights were way easier than most challenge quests after all. It's definitely not worth trying to squeeze the bond point bonus from the boss fights as well.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Factor_VIII posted:

I guess that's one drawback of the fact that this game is made for a Japanese audience. The makers can assume that Japanese players are familiar with Amakusa's story and why he'd want to destroy the shogunate, his last words before being executed were "I shall return after 100 years and take my revenge!", but for someone unfamiliar with him his actions don't make sense.

kids nowadays need to play Samurai Showdown (the first one) and watch Makai Tensho dammit

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I actually neve plugged out Musashi. She was even able to give the final strike against Munenori and Isshun.
I have to admit, however, that for me the bond bonus in boss fights just means "my backline will be made of knights".

Every time I think "why my Altera is still 6/6/8?" Then I go on the third skill and I see the required 54 Evil Bones for each skill level 9

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 30, 2019

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Uo mabushi!

https://twitter.com/amiamihobbynews/status/1200595708291600384

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 30, 2019

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Shimousa is 100% my favorite part of Fate Go so far but I'd also be the first person to admit it's not for everyone and, yeah, it does kind of live or die based on how much you like Musashi as a character or relate to her internal growth and struggle, I get why people don't rate it as consistently highly as Grampa Crimes Big Night Out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I did like the Big Reveal that Caster of Limbo was only pretending to be Abe no Seimei and was actually ASHIYA DOUMAN!!! when the vast majority of the english-speaking audience's response will be 'who?'

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Musashi just fine but largely was ambivalent on Shimosa, mostly because I just didn't care for the the format with the Swordmasters. With a few exceptions most of them just weren't fun plot beats IMO. The endgame is cool enough with Muramasa and Zero vs. Infinity but overall I'd probably place it a clear rung beneath Shinjuku.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pureauthor posted:

I did like the Big Reveal that Caster of Limbo was only pretending to be Abe no Seimei and was actually ASHIYA DOUMAN!!! when the vast majority of the english-speaking audience's response will be 'who?'

'Sup that's me.
"Who the gently caress are those two assholes supposed to be" was 100% my reaction.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Omobono posted:

'Sup that's me.
"Who the gently caress are those two assholes supposed to be" was 100% my reaction.

Now imagine how Japanese readers felt when London came around and the game went "*Gasp!* Solomon is the antagonist!"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they mostly all explain their deal in the story so i didn't think it was too bad. i think paraiso is the only one where lacking experience with her specific context felt like it may have negatively impacted my experience with her (awful) chapter.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I think for a japanese reader was something like a "I'm not King Arthur, I'm actually Mordred!" type of reveal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How did Japanese players react to the Columbus stuff?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pureauthor posted:

It was pretty annoying when I tried to search for more information on him and get sent back to the FGO wiki.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

It was pretty annoying when I tried to search for more information on him and get sent back to the FGO wiki.
Only JP wikipedia articles for him. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%81%93%E6%91%A9%E6%B3%95%E5%B8%AB

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seimei's english wikipeda entry mentions him, but he establishes enough of who he is in the text of shimosa anyway

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Omobono posted:

I don't know how to say it tactfully, but here's problem number 1, 2 and 3. The bond bonus is for filler nodes and for your backline, and it's the first thing that should go out of the window in difficult fights. Grand Order is an easy game, but ignoring the class triangle is an horrible idea.

How the hell did you even get past Momzerker and Shuten with knight classes?

I beat the whole thing with only knight classes without using seals, the major stumbling block was assassin of paradiso. :shrug: I enjoyed the challenge, but if someone has a less good knight lineup there's no reason to beat your head against it- bond points are a good way to do it, because it's a nice reward for using servants you wouldn't usually use, but it's completely ignorable without giving up limited resources like gatcha pulls or whatever.

Oh Snapple! posted:

:agreed:

The biggest problem with Shimosa tho is that plugsuit is basically required to efficiently get Musashi off the frontline.

I actually only plugsuited Musashi once, every other battle I planned around her being on frontline and dying.

Factor_VIII posted:

He namedropped Shimabara about a thousand times and mentioned he was Christian, if you're aware of prejudice against Christians existing in that era of Japan you can connect the dots about what happened. I thought his motivations were uncomplex but easy to understand.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dogsicle posted:

I'm sorry i just noticed the second mlb scope there...lmao

:sadwave:

man, imagine having ONE MLB Kscope. lol

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Galaga Galaxian posted:

man, imagine having ONE Kscope. lol

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I only recognized the names cause of an old FromSoft horror game called Kuon. Kinda amusingly that game makes a twist out of the playable Abe No Seimei secretly being a woman.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He namedropped Shimabara about a thousand times and mentioned he was Christian, if you're aware of prejudice against Christians existing in that era of Japan you can connect the dots about what happened. I thought his motivations were uncomplex but easy to understand.

How many westerners do you think have heard of the Shimabara rebellion? I'm a history buff and had read about it, but I'll wager that less than one in a thousand westerners are aware of it. I bet most people aren't even aware that there were any Christians in 17th century Japan.

Though to be fair Amakusa does rant about the shogunate mass-murdering Christians near the end of Shimousa, so his motives do get explained within the story even to someone who doesn't know anything about him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I have google, so when I meet an historical character I don't know, I look them up.

But I already knew about the Shimabara rebellion because of anime.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

man, imagine having ONE MLB Kscope. lol

I have 3. :homebrew:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
You can call me an idiot for doing the bond point challenge if you want, that's fine.

I do wanna clarify that yes, I do have some level of reading comprehension, I did get why Amakusa Alter was doing what he did, I am aware of the mistreatment of Christians in Japan in general if not the specifics of the revolution. I just think that that in FGO 'I was mistreated in life and now I'm going to revenge myself upon the world!' is specifically very much an Avenger thing and we haven't had that sort of uncomplicated 'RAAR HATE' antagonist since Orleans, and even that had a plot twist that Jalter is a fake and no such resentful version of her really existed, plus Giles being the real mastermind. I thought Crime Grandpa and Nightless Caster had more interesting motives even if they were also going to destroy the world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I rolled for Nightingale and instead got Saberstolfo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I rolled for Nightingale and instead got Saberstolfo.

But isn't Nightingale the welfare servant? Unless Astolfo and zerker Nightingale are on dual rateup on jp?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But isn't Nightingale the welfare servant? Unless Astolfo and zerker Nightingale are on dual rateup on jp?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I double checked and yeah Astolfo is available every day instead of having both of them on their own different days