Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hogama posted:

Zesty is going right by, even though they said "HALLO! TAKE US WITH YOU!"

The engine caught fire and the plane crashed into the ocean, but there's absolutely nothing to be worried about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll never grow old, i'll never die, and i'll always eat oatmeal

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Huh, I was kind of expecting them to loop the marathon again, but I guess we're just going to go right into normal episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And now an episode I haven't seen in a bit!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rifftrax channel is showing a how to cook a turkey short

e: now A TALKING CAT

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 29, 2019

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The first time I saw Horrors of Spider Island I was like WTF is this? I ended up watching it again randomly while I painted my living room and drat, now it is firmly in my rotation.

Gary! Gaaaaaary! GARY! Gaaary!

I started a Spotify playlist of music featured in movies riffed by MST3K. Got the theme from Blood Waters of Dr. Z, some Del Aires from Horror of Party Beach, Ace of Spades my Motorhead from Zombie Nightmare. Anyone know some I might not be thinking of? Unfortunately some of the best songs, such as California Lady and the Little Richard ditty from Catalina Caper aren't on Spotify.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Surely you can find the dulcet tones of Arch Hall Jr on there.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Sadly, Spotify is also missing the greatest song of all.

NIIIGHT TRAAIIN TO MUNDO FIIINEEE

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Aw I was so excited to see that the Del Aires are on Spotify but I couldn’t find that one drat ear worm song from the movie that goes “bye bye bye” and they’re all waving like idiots. You know the bit I mean.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
But first, a folk song by Phil Ochs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Travis Brooks Stewart, singing his top 10 country hit!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Another Bill posted:

The way I see it, worst comes to worst Joel folds the MST3K brand into Rifftrax. I've got to think Mike, Kevin and Bill would love to have a second team to bounce some movies to.

I suppose the desire to get the show going again could have been a factor in that not happening already, if no other network or streaming service wants to pick it up then kind of merging that together could work. I can't imagine it would take a big budget to do some pretty basic host segments and the traditional presentation for the VOD releases they do, and having the classic MST3k doing the characters and voices again would have some nice nostalgia appeal, maybe with some new puppeteers so Kevin and Bill just have to do voice work.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else took the basic riffing formula and came up with a new spin on it, though I don't have much of a clue of what that spin could be aside from something like getting some funny people together to start riffing all of a classic t.v. show that a media company already has the rights to, though even there you're probably much better off not doing that for lots of episodes since that seems like it would get stale.

I think Disney is way too convinced that all their stuff has been great/too stuffy to do that, but if they were open to it then getting a group together to riff the disney vault classic films seems like a really good idea on paper, I'd certainly tune in to see riffs of the classic animated films of my childhood.

I don't know, I can't shake the feeling that a company that's willing to take the mst3k approach to bigger budget films and T.V. along with the right people involved is the recipe for mainstream success instead of the cult status that MST3k has had, but even outright owning the IP there's probably rights/legal issues that make that too complex a proposition.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
what, no Dick Contino tunes on your list? For shame!

"Leather Bar, Slingshot briefs"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The super drunk DJ in The Giant Gila Monster is both hilarious and uncomfortable in equal measure.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

I started a Spotify playlist of music featured in movies riffed by MST3K. Got the theme from Blood Waters of Dr. Z, some Del Aires from Horror of Party Beach, Ace of Spades my Motorhead from Zombie Nightmare. Anyone know some I might not be thinking of? Unfortunately some of the best songs, such as California Lady and the Little Richard ditty from Catalina Caper aren't on Spotify.

Don't know if any of this stuff is actually on Spotify, but;

That song in Deadly Bees before the bee lady sings Stop the Music is good. Then I guess there's also Stop the Music.

Yipes Stripes

Horror at Party Beach and Girl in Gold Boots both had lots of songs.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

HungryMedusa posted:

The first time I saw Horrors of Spider Island I was like WTF is this? I ended up watching it again randomly while I painted my living room and drat, now it is firmly in my rotation.

Gary! Gaaaaaary! GARY! Gaaary!

I sometimes use the name Bob Boxbody on other forums and gaming platforms.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Powered Descent posted:

Found the video of this that was on the stream, for anyone who missed it:

https://mst3klive.com/2019/07/rd-tom-servo-the-dancing-man-test/

The whiffle ball legs make it look like he's a 16-bit era video game boss. Thinking about him rising out of his hoverskirt and stomping across the screen.

Alternatively, he borrowed the technology from Goemon's giant robot friend Impact.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yipes Stripes is on there!

For Dick Contino there is nothing from either movie, just some polkas.

I wish there was something from Girl in Gold Boots. Do you want to Laugh or Cry, Everything I Touch Turns to Gold. Classics.

Bees is a good thought, there is a song by The Birds and Elkie Brooks is also on Spotify, but none of the songs from the movie are there. I need to watch the Deadly Bees again!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

You're in luck, the entire soundtrack to Manos: The Hands of Fate is on Spotify.

People tend to look at me like I'm crazy, but imo the soundtrack to Manos is probably the best thing about the whole movie, with "Forgetting You" being a legit great song from jazz singer Nicki Mathis.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

HungryMedusa posted:

Horrors has my favourite style of MST3K joke, where they show the women frolicking around the island and Mike chimes in with a booming "The Horrors of Spider Island".

It always reminds me of Terror From Year 5000. "Folks, I checked the stock, and Terror is on backorder".

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 29, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NowonSA posted:

I suppose the desire to get the show going again could have been a factor in that not happening already, if no other network or streaming service wants to pick it up then kind of merging that together could work. I can't imagine it would take a big budget to do some pretty basic host segments and the traditional presentation for the VOD releases they do, and having the classic MST3k doing the characters and voices again would have some nice nostalgia appeal, maybe with some new puppeteers so Kevin and Bill just have to do voice work.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else took the basic riffing formula and came up with a new spin on it, though I don't have much of a clue of what that spin could be aside from something like getting some funny people together to start riffing all of a classic t.v. show that a media company already has the rights to, though even there you're probably much better off not doing that for lots of episodes since that seems like it would get stale.

I think Disney is way too convinced that all their stuff has been great/too stuffy to do that, but if they were open to it then getting a group together to riff the disney vault classic films seems like a really good idea on paper, I'd certainly tune in to see riffs of the classic animated films of my childhood.

I don't know, I can't shake the feeling that a company that's willing to take the mst3k approach to bigger budget films and T.V. along with the right people involved is the recipe for mainstream success instead of the cult status that MST3k has had, but even outright owning the IP there's probably rights/legal issues that make that too complex a proposition.

I've said this before, but if they were to take MST3K to Disney+ they'd have a goldmine of cheesy movies to riff, they could probably do a whole season or two worth of episodes just from Disney Channel Original Movies alone

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

drrockso20 posted:

I've said this before, but if they were to take MST3K to Disney+ they'd have a goldmine of cheesy movies to riff, they could probably do a whole season or two worth of episodes just from Disney Channel Original Movies alone

And hey, Kinga did say she hoped to sell the brand to Disney for a billion dollars...

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

HungryMedusa posted:

Arch Hall Jr's music from his movies (including Eegah!) is on Spotify.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NowonSA posted:

It doesn't seem too far-fetched, when the MST3K twitch channel keeps talking about how it's going to stream Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic, and The Film Crew. Plus the Rifftrax site is selling the MST3K season 11 and 12 digital downloads (along with the Classic stuff).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hulu and Prime are probably the best options but I can envision more of a Rifftrax approach, the main issue would be availability of everyone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, man. I'd forgotten about Untamed Youth, which in hindsight is probably my favorite season one episode. For a bunch of teens forced to work off their sentence on a work farm, they sure do throw a lot of sock hops.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They can't leave the farm. What else are they supposed to do at night? Given what happens to Baby, we know there's sex and we see at least two fights. Got to have something to lighten the mood or they'd all kill themselves if they realized how lovely their situations were

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ballz posted:

You're in luck, the entire soundtrack to Manos: The Hands of Fate is on Spotify.

People tend to look at me like I'm crazy, but imo the soundtrack to Manos is probably the best thing about the whole movie, with "Forgetting You" being a legit great song from jazz singer Nicki Mathis.

Thanks, I do own the Manos soundtrack vinyl but did not think about looking for it on Spotify. We played our record on Halloween. Too bad we only got 3 trick or treaters.

Clouseau posted:

Arch Hall Jr's music from his movies (including Eegah!) is on Spotify.

YES! Thanks!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm sure you can find some stuff from the Beau Brummels on there, but I don't know about the tracks from Village Of the Gods

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ballz posted:

One of my friends in college made a 74-minute loop of Torgo's theme and burned it to a CD. It was a great pranking tool; for example, someone on our floor had a CD playing alarm clock and got to wake up to that one morning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

One of my friends in college made a 74-minute loop of Torgo's theme and burned it to a CD. It was a great pranking tool; for example, someone on our floor had a CD playing alarm clock and got to wake up to that one morning.

He'll deliver that pizza eventually!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He'll deliver that pizza eventually!

Say, it's been two hours, but it's still pretty warm!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Say, it's been two hours, but it's still pretty warm!

:barf:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheY AlwaYS DO thAT.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man rifftrax would be a lot funnier if every joke was one sentence shorter

brevity is the soul of wit guys-- gently caress i just broke the rule myself

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 30, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The 7th Guest posted:

man rifftrax would be a lot funnier if every joke was one sentence shorter

brevity is the soul of wit guys-- gently caress i just broke the rule myself

The same can be said about the revival. A lot of the jokes just keep on going and going.

And yelling them doesn't make them funnier.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i feel like nuMST3k got better about that eventually though, but with Rifftrax it's always a roll of the dice on whether you get a funny one or not

if i was doing a table read of a riff script, i'd truncate any joke that runs longer than 3 seconds

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

The same can be said about the revival. A lot of the jokes just keep on going and going.

And yelling them doesn't make them funnier.

Whispering CAPSULE! doesn’t seem like it would be as funny.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

brocked posted:

I'm sure you can find some stuff from the Beau Brummels on there, but I don't know about the tracks from Village Of the Gods

True Confession: I have all of the Beau Brummels LPs. (Their biggest hit was 'Laugh Laugh', but it's not on the Village of the Gods soundtrack).

Surely you're going to track down the band that played California Lady for your playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey, what about Steve Alamio from Wild Rebels, he have any stuff on the Spotify?