Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dehry posted:

You can patch the Deoxys distribution rom for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to give out whatever wondercard you want to Gen IV games. It requires a second DS/3DS and a flashcart but it's less of a hassle than setting up custom networks. There might be one for Gen V but it's compatible with the current network standards using a DSi or 3DS I think.

Right on first, wrong on second. The DS-era networking setup is a bizarre, labyrinthine joke.

I've got a router for just this purpose. It's not expensive, it's just a major hassle to get working.

Save editing does require a flash cartridge though, so it's possibly harder to get than a 802.11b router.

(EDIT: DSi/3DS Gen5 games do support more modern network standards but not current, because... bizarre joke?)

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How did River City Rival Showdown end up being? I loved Tokyo Rumble

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Have some club nintendo points expiring so here's this theme code (go to theme shop to redeem)

Nintendo 3DS theme: Super *ario: Wooden World: B17T VRG5 4*NW SB*K

Nintendo's got some digital deals going, how is Bower's Inside Story? I was hoping they'd put some virtual console games on sale, I thought I remembered them doing that last year.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I just bought one of these, how is it eol already :negative:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

...! posted:

A 3DS? It's a system born nearly 9 years ago. If anything, it had a long life span.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

...! posted:

There will be no more 3DS systems made, so the value can only go up up up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

...! posted:

Its not like its incredible backlog of games is going anywhere. If you just bought one you still have years of use ahead of you! It's only for us old hats who already played everything that the era of the 3DS is truly over.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Saoshyant posted:

A 3DS? It's a system born nearly 9 years ago. If anything, it had a long life span.

Its lifespan only started about a month ago for me.

Taken from us far too soon. :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I didn't buy a screen protector like a dumbass and got a hairline scratch on my bottom screen. It's not a big deal or anything but it bugs me something awful. I looked up a repair guide and it looks like a huge pain in the rear end to disassemble these things, though doable. Has anyone replaced the screens on theirs? How bad is it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ItBreathes posted:

I didn't buy a screen protector like a dumbass and got a hairline scratch on my bottom screen. It's not a big deal or anything but it bugs me something awful. I looked up a repair guide and it looks like a huge pain in the rear end to disassemble these things, though doable. Has anyone replaced the screens on theirs? How bad is it?

It takes a goddamn forever but it's far from being a truly hard disassembly.

... finding good replacement screens is ten times harder.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sometimes if you install a screen protector the glue gets into the scratch and it becomes unnoticeable.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How long is Browsers inside story on sale for ?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fit em all up in there posted:

How long is Browsers inside story on sale for ?

The current sale lasts until the 5th.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

The current sale lasts until the 5th.

Where's this sale? Is it only via the 3DS eshop because I can't find anything on the (French) site. It may be US only I suppose?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Where's this sale? Is it only via the 3DS eshop because I can't find anything on the (French) site. It may be US only I suppose?

It may be US only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is, the EU sales are poo poo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Untrue, EU gets good eshop sales constantly, we just happened to not get this one

we've got tons of switch games on sale right now instead!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Pity. Oh well. There's not a lot of games I want for my 3DS at this point, and with a Switch on hand it's not a console I focus on, but I enjoy putting a game and plugging away at it like I've done with DQ VIII. I'd like to eventually get the Bravely games, the Yarn Kirby game, Yarn Yoshi, and the Metroid remake at one point or another. There's a chance I'll also get Link Between Worlds, and Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon (one or the other), just to make it a good console to have on hand in the future.

There's no rush though and those games will only get cheaper.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I decided to give the demo of Etrian Odyssey 4 a try and, surprisingly, I'm doing better at it than I did with Bravely Default. Would've thought sure sure the map making and complete freedom over your party would've scared me off. I don't think I'm done with the demo yet but is the rest of the game pretty similar to what's in the demo? Also, is this a series worth getting into and is 4 an alright starting point?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

I decided to give the demo of Etrian Odyssey 4 a try and, surprisingly, I'm doing better at it than I did with Bravely Default. Would've thought sure sure the map making and complete freedom over your party would've scared me off. I don't think I'm done with the demo yet but is the rest of the game pretty similar to what's in the demo? Also, is this a series worth getting into and is 4 an alright starting point?

The demo is a great indication of what the series is like. It's a fantastic series and absolutely worth getting into. 4 is one of the easier entries and so is a great starting point. Enjoy!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got 7th Dragon on the sale and it's fun as hell, it actually pulled off of Pokemon and Death Stranding for a minute.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For Black Friday, I bought the digital versions of Persona Q2, and SMT: Strange Journey. I would never have even bothered but I noticed the SD card on my 3DS was bad and needed to be replaced. What started as just downloading every game I already owned and then shelving my 3DS again to collect dust, turned into seeing what was on sale. :homebrew: Now I am playing through Strange Journey and enjoying it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I got 7th Dragon on the sale and it's fun as hell, it actually pulled off of Pokemon and Death Stranding for a minute.

Wow, just tried the demo for this and this also seems great as well. Downloading the demo for something called Radiant Historia as well. The 3DS has a lot of rpgs. Wish SMT 4 had a demo so I could see how well I do with it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

...! posted:

Do you have a Switch? If so, you'd understand.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ryuga Death posted:

Wow, just tried the demo for this and this also seems great as well. Downloading the demo for something called Radiant Historia as well. The 3DS has a lot of rpgs. Wish SMT 4 had a demo so I could see how well I do with it.

Radiant Historia is not a perfect game, but it was definitely something that sucked me in

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You will know if you like RH as that is a long demo that will tell you everything you need to know

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I need to play that still. I have a copy of the 3DS version just waiting for me. How’s the combat? I know the 3DS version has an option to pretty much skip it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The combat system in RH is kind of cool but I remember getting very tired of field encounters because the combat system's coolness also makes every fight take forever.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Any game with a cool-and-involved-but-slow combat system needs to take a page from Divinity Original Sin and just eschew random/semirandom frequent encounters entirely in favour of a smaller set of carefully considered ones.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The new MN gold point offers in Europe include Yokai Watch 3 and Defective Pikachu.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

The demo is a great indication of what the series is like. It's a fantastic series and absolutely worth getting into. 4 is one of the easier entries and so is a great starting point. Enjoy!

Neat, I caved in and bought it along with 7th Dragon. Are any team compositions viable for EO4 or should I be thinking really deeply about what my team will be like?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SelenicMartian posted:

Defective Pikachu.

Leave dedenne alone

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Neat, I caved in and bought it along with 7th Dragon. Are any team compositions viable for EO4 or should I be thinking really deeply about what my team will be like?

Basically any team combo is viable in that one. You can go really basic with Tank, Healer, and damage dealers or you can get more creative. You unlock 3 additional classes as you progress and they each come with an item that lets them level up almost to where your team should be so you can swap out as you go along if you like one of them better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Also the EO thread is huge and a big help too!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839494

I love the EO series a lot.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Radiant Historia has a really interesting plot, at least from what I can gather in this demo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna finish Radiant Historia one of these days. You can skip random battles, but you can't skip boss battles. And one is kicking my rear end, last I left off.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've dipped into the Radiant Historia démo and I think the game is my jam, but I have Soo many lengthy RPGs to finish.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is Nintendo still making any of those #DS things?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What... does that mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Amppelix posted:

What... does that mean
All of them are sold out and removed from catalogues round here, including Nintendo's #1 official local distributor.