Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Sorry if I missed this if it got posted in this thread, but Reddit detectives analyzed the handwriting and think Karishma voted Elizabeth, Dan voted Janet, and Elizabeth voted Karishma.

I'm torn about how excited I am by the Tribal. On one hand it was awesome seeing Karishma mess with these losers and negate so many votes against her; on the other hand the only reason she needed to play the idol was because of a bunch of unforced errors she made in the first place. On one hand it sucks that her and Elizabeth couldn't get on the same page and vote out Dan 0-2-1, on the other hand I think if they did that then her and Elizabeth would still be the next to go whereas she maybe has more longterm options now.

I guess it was good if Karishma wins the game and bad if she loses!!! (she will win!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

gently caress it I’m in for Karishma winning. She may be whiney and weak but so are most of the other people.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mancalamania posted:

Sorry if I missed this if it got posted in this thread, but Reddit detectives analyzed the handwriting and think Karishma voted Elizabeth, Dan voted Janet, and Elizabeth voted Karishma.

I'm torn about how excited I am by the Tribal. On one hand it was awesome seeing Karishma mess with these losers and negate so many votes against her; on the other hand the only reason she needed to play the idol was because of a bunch of unforced errors she made in the first place. On one hand it sucks that her and Elizabeth couldn't get on the same page and vote out Dan 0-2-1, on the other hand I think if they did that then her and Elizabeth would still be the next to go whereas she maybe has more longterm options now.

I guess it was good if Karishma wins the game and bad if she loses!!! (she will win!)

How many hands do you have?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How many hands do you have?

Do you have a problem with Goro watching Survivor?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

mancalamania posted:

I’m an idiot and misread the Reddit stuff. Karishma voted Janet, Dan voted Elizabeth.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mancalamania posted:

Karishma made exactly 0 more long term connections in this tribal. The only thing that happened was the other easy target went home.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Karishma made exactly 0 more long term connections in this tribal. The only thing that happened was the other easy target went home.
If the game is now Threats vs. Goats, Karishma could be in the majority alliance.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Dean talking about the Goat Army was funny, he should be leading that army. I can't imagine him beating anyone, or even getting a single vote.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Septimius posted:

Dean talking about the Goat Army was funny, he should be leading that army. I can't imagine him beating anyone, or even getting a single vote.

But Dean is making some strategic moves like playing the same fake advantage at 2 tribal councils. (I guess assuming he's around at 6 and tries to play it again)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

If the game is now Threats vs. Goats, Karishma could be in the majority alliance.

It's hard to see how it happens next week unless someone blows up their game. 8 players left means you need 4 votes + Karishma for a majority. Vote out Karishma next, and you just need 4 votes to have a majority at 7. She's useless as a number next week.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess when I say long term options I mean she can now be used as an option by other groups in the longer term. She voted for the person the majority told her to vote for, so she’s at least proven that she’s a reliable pawn that other players can use next week. If her and Elizabeth got Dan or whoever out she’s more actively working against the majority and there’s no good reason to work with her going forward.

She said in her idol playing speech that’s what she wanted to be used in that role next round and immediately proved her reliability by voting who the majority told her to (despite knowing they were all against her). I have no idea if it’ll work but it could be worth a shot given that she has no real traction in the game right now and she doesn’t want to have to rely on just Immunitying her way to the endgame.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The idol play on its own obviously doesn't better her position, but sometimes all you need is a couple of extra days for someone else to screw up or get a big idea or something. A player decides that F9 is too soon to make a move but F7 is too late. Or the numbers of 7 people voting together goes from "I have a solid 4 to beat that 3" to "its 3 vs 3 now". Stuff like that happens, so sometimes all you can really do is buy yourself some time and keep pressing the issue.

I don't really have Karishima pegged as a "winner." I don't go for "winner's edit" stuff. People would have said 2 weeks ago that Jamal or Kellee had "winners' edits." I say the same thing every season but sometimes we just get a lot of time on one loser because they were interesting or had stuff going on and sometimes we don't get much from the winner because they're just boring or played a smaller game. Karishima's been in the middle of a lot of stuff of consequence and while she might be "whiny" or "annoying" on a tribe of people not exactly playing the cleanest games or treating people super well it kind of plays as a natural foil for the narrative. Especially since any time someone seems to have been a "hero" they got smacked down for it. So Karishima might just be the "hero" this cast deserves.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Is it just me or has this season been particularly bad for obviously fake over the top reactions? Between that and the whole Dan controversy this season has been pretty bleh. I'm kinda dreading the reunion just to see how they address the Dan stuff.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Is it just me or has this season been particularly bad for obviously fake over the top reactions?

The reactions after Karishma played her idol were all perfect in every way.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was funny though when Jeff got all disappointed about the lack of reactions to the breakfast reward. Come on guys, you can't fake anything for his ego?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i would go pretty crazy for some breakfast right now and i haven't even been starved for 30 days

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

1. it's funny

But really

2. Bribe to get them in season 40

2 does make the most sense, thanks.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's hard to see how it happens next week unless someone blows up their game. 8 players left means you need 4 votes + Karishma for a majority. Vote out Karishma next, and you just need 4 votes to have a majority at 7. She's useless as a number next week.
Yes I guess I'm just down on this whole season, feel like Production has been far too involved - except in the situation where they should have become more involved.
Karishma's knack for having more lives than the proverbial cat is one of the few redeeming character arcs.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Did Elizabeth ghost interviews like Missy and Aaron?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think you’re forgetting Karishmas story, she’s in a loveless arranged marriage and wants out. They’ll eat that up all the way to the end if she ends up there.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I made the mistake of wandering into Reddit and I'm not sure why r/survivor is on love with Karishma. She is so lazy and complains constantly. Missy was certainly a dick to her, but that sympathy does not erase my opinion of her.

Is anyone in this thread in love with Karishma.. ? Can someone help explain the karishma-love on this cool and good forum?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

AWarmBody posted:

I made the mistake of wandering into Reddit and I'm not sure why r/survivor is on love with Karishma. She is so lazy and complains constantly. Missy was certainly a dick to her, but that sympathy does not erase my opinion of her.

Is anyone in this thread in love with Karishma.. ? Can someone help explain the karishma-love on this cool and good forum?

Anyway who's back is against the wall and finds and plays an idol to save themselves is always going to be popular, although I liked her before that. It's neat that she's pretty reflective and self-aware about how people perceive her (even if she's not so great at changing that perception). I can't think of anyone else who's really recognized they were being viewed as the goat and hustled to change that perception instead of just settling for 2nd/3rd place. Maybe David in Millenials vs. Gen X although he managed to turn things around early enough that he wasn't ever really seen as a "goat."

Also a big defining scene for Karishma plays completely differently now than when it first aired. The cut-hand incident where everyone ignored her initially read as "oh wow she must be so annoying and overdramatic if no one's checking on her," but now that we know that Aaron, Missy, Elizabeth, and Dean are kind of dumb jerks the scene reads a lot more like "oh wow poor Karishma being stuck on this tribe with a bunch of heartless idiots." Especially since the original Vokai people post-swap/post-merge all don't seem to mind her nearly as much as the original Lairos (maybe with the exception of Noura).

Karishma, Janet, and Noura are also the only 3 people left that voted Dan out at the merge vote which helps a lot.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

For me a large part of it is just there being a real lack of likeable people left. I'm not loving her but she's one of three people I'd be ok with winning.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Cool. Thank you both for your perspectives -- it improved my understanding.

I've found that, while I hated Noura at the beginning, I grew to like her more and more each episode. She's crazy, but likable to me.

I think I'm in camp Elaine or Noura right now. Slim pickings.

I don't find Tommy quite so likable. There are little things he does that make me feel like he could have explosive anger, and I feel unsettled watching him sometimes. I kind of want to do a compilation edit of those moments when the season is done to assess if I'm reading too much into some of his micro-moments (could be highly likely)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ya gotta laugh at Lauren saying she’s a people person whilst also insulting Elaine’s intelligence and everything involving Dan.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AWarmBody posted:

It's usually fun to root for the underdog.

According to Noura everyone is lazy except Noura and her commandment, "when you go for a walk or to get water you better come back with coconuts". The whole merged tribe is lazy; their shelter is not great and they're lucky the weather isn't bad. They have chairs and hammock but the shelter is just a debris lean-to without a floor.

After so many woman have gone home with idols in their pocket (supposedly good, experienced players, like Andrea Boehlke, and more recently Wentworth & Aubry Bracco) it was great to watch one play it correctly. Also I think Karishma playing her idol spooked Lauren into wasting her own idol.

Creepy Dan: "We can't allow Karishma to go any further in the game". His shocked expression at TC was great payoff for that hubris.

It's not easy to keep going while being ostracized and bullied. And it is not weakness to exhibit strong emotions and talk through them in public. Also I enjoyed Karishma try to call out players for the bullshit of claiming to be "loyal" when everyone knows loyalty is a transitory luxury because at some point you have to cut your allies in order to win.

edit: also let's say goodbye to Olympian Elizabeth. Maybe it's the Olympics "win at all costs" attitude but from her backstabbing Kelley over 'the Dan situation' to stealing Karishma's personal bag to search it for a HII, she showed terrible sportsmanship and just sort of casual evil tactics.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 30, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Karishma is in over her head but she genuinely tries real hard (see her inexplicably doing the challenge) and seems kind and caring. I started turning around on her when Jamal fell off the endurance challenge and she high-tailed it to see if he was okay.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone complains about how whiny and lazy she is but everyone is fuckin whiny and lazy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Karishma is great.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Karishma is bad at survivor but seems like she might be a decent person.

Just about everyone else are okay survivor players but seem like bad people.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Too bad Sugar isn't on this season to have her back, then

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yeah this is true

Noura also seems good in the well-meaning sense even if I wouldn't want her anywhere near me irl because she's so wound up all the time

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

The Bloop posted:

Noura also seems good in the well-meaning sense even if I wouldn't want her anywhere near me irl because she's so wound up all the time

I'm amazed at Noura's focus and yogi energy, because I would never have expected that from her based on this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

I'm amazed at Noura's focus and yogi energy, because I would never have expected that from her based on this

She probably learned to focus herself like a drat Vulcan because otherwise she is a neurotic disaster. I admit this is very impressive! Still wouldn't want to be forced to live with her.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I would drink mimosas with Karishma :shrug:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
With this episode to me Noura is no longer a goat and is someone I could legit see winning the game. I have been so impressed with her since the merge. Outside of her letting her ring go too soon she is a beast in all these challenges.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

With this episode to me Noura is no longer a goat and is someone I could legit see winning the game. I have been so impressed with her since the merge. Outside of her letting her ring go too soon she is a beast in all these challenges.

welcome to the team, friend :)

AdmiralViscen posted:

Did Elizabeth ghost interviews like Missy and Aaron?

I'd say maybe give her until it's not Thanksgiving weekend anymore before wondering that

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That wasn’t a diss on her (though I don’t know why she needs a defender after her conduct on the show). I have no idea if she gave an interview or not. I get everything about Survivor from this thread, so I asked.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 1, 2019

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The interviews for Thanksgiving weekend are always on Monday (when they actually happen). That being said, on Know It Alls Rob said he wasn't sure if there would be one, so I'm guessing she's sitting out and going to do the email thing with Mike Bloom that Missy and Aaron did.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

See, I figured there’d be some info like that. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unless I missed it Kellee didn't do RHAP either. So I think Survivor just went all "oh gently caress" when the weight of that episode/issue hit and gave everyone the choice of what to do. And Jamal I think is the only who who has done live interviews.