Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

see, this is why twitter is terrible for discourse. by the time you've removed enough details to fit the exact scenario you're annoyed about in a tweet, it's vague enough that people who aren't following your exact point in the current discourse can assume you're talking about something else slightly different, and then make wildly vague subtweets of their own, and then everybody's mad and everyone's blocking each other and people are posting 2 minute kpop videos for some reason
Definitely this too. Plus it provides a single arena of interaction, which isn't how humans work. There's some groups of friends where you'd say some poo poo that you wouldn't to others. You wouldn't talk to your mother, your lover, your boss, and your bff the same way. But there's no sacred/profane division on Twitter and so it turns into a whole conversational network built on one liners and howling into the void for an audience of millions and their bots.

The only upside is it got a bunch of racists and nazis sacked when they didn't realize that.

e: 417 is about 3x Dunbar's number, and about twice the median number of Facebook friends.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/nadinebh_/status/1200850733387698176

Andrew Marr will make absolutely no mention of this, bet you anything.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

bit of a tangent but i like it when i find a take that is completely correct and perfectly reasonable but you know a lot of tiresome people will try to find a problem with it anyway

https://twitter.com/see_em_play_/status/1200816352023523331?s=19

we have a few people at work who are like this and think they're being really enlightened and it's like:

https://twitter.com/see_em_play_/status/1200816570450300928?s=19

em is correct as always, love to see it

I don't get what talking about sex in public or having loud sex has to do with consent.

Yes, it's creepy if someone initiates a conversation about sex with you, but you don't get to police other people's conversations because your delicate ears might overhear them say something scandalous.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Who's actually doing that though? Is this a twitter thing?

idk who she's referring to but as i say i have 3 people at work who are really bad for it, and it isn't pleasant at all. to the point where one of them has been reported by a younger member of staff because they were made to feel so uncomfortable.

quote:

And is it a violation of consent to any other degree than any other chat that might make people uncomfortable, like gunchat or carchat or pregnancy chat?

um yes? if you're making someone picture you loving or wanking or whatever when they have made it clear they don't want to think or talk about it, that's an order of magnitude more creepy than not wanting to hear about a ford focus or a pregnancy. jfc.

quote:

If the answer is yes, maybe we should be asking what that says about us as a society and our values rather than whether any individual is "repressed"

it says, i have a lot of work to do/things on my mind/more interesting stuff to do and think about, i don't want to think about your dong or your gross arse pumping up and down, please respect that.

quote:

but I'd suspect it's a huge part situational too. I'm not about to chat about guns in the same way at a playgroup as I would at a rural pub with stuffed ducks on the wall.

well, good. that means you understand boundaries and personal space.

quote:

Also I have a suspicion that a lot (by no means all, but they ride on the coattails) of the objections aren't to a horde of hypothetical sexhavers going around pressing the intimate particulars of their sex lives on strangers and demanding reciprocity, but are on a social level shoring up heteronormativity,

just...no. let's not do this.

quote:

otherwise we'd have been having the same conversations about a lot of our society's performative heterosexuality being "shoved down our throats" for a long time. The vast majority of public sexchat I've heard has been straight lads boasting and probably making poo poo up, and that predates sex-positivity (and feminism) by a few centuries, but I have a feeling that the tweets weren't pointed at them.

this is all terrible and is exactly the kind of thing i hate and why i make sure to set my boundaries with people around me so they do not do this. i get it's harder when its strangers but that doesn't make it okay for them to talk like this. we should all be mindful of other people.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

Oh god this turned into an effort post.

This all changed pretty recently actually, May tinkering around the edges. What Labour are proposing is equalising the tax paid on dividends and capital gains with the tax paid on income. A necessary change IMO. The important thing is it will affect people reliant on dividend income or selling shares to fund their private pension, but not those with an annuity. Assuming they actually own shares which provide dividends, a lot of the largest companies don't pay them. See: Facebook, Alphabet (google).

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/labours-proposals-pensions-and-personal-tax
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends

For what it's worth, the additional £400 Andrew Neil was proposing on a £14,000 income is about right. £3,500 taxable at an additional rate of 12.5% = £437.5. FTSE 250 average total return dividend yield is sitting about 3% however, meaning that to get that £14k in dividend income you'd need to own dividend providing stocks of roughly £466,666.66 (hail satan). Suffice to say if you have this, outside of an annuity, you're doing a drat sight better than the vast majority of pensioners. It's also more than an average worker would need to live on until they hit 100: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-7154777/Britons-need-pension-pot-447K-hit-65-pension-age-100.html

E: Fudging the truth a little here. Remember that you'd need to add your state pension to your income, which would be £8,760. So this will start affecting people with more than £3,732 in dividend income, i.e a draw-down pension pot of £125k.

You can see dividends as an addendum to your 'earned' income, taxed at a different rate. Currently you pay 0% on the first £2,000, 7.5% up to your higher tax band, then 32.5% beyond that. So let's say you're pulling down an income of:

0k from work and 10k from dividends - potentially 8k taxable in dividends. Paid at 7.5% = £600 tax. HOWEVER this is less than your tax free allowance of £12,500, so you actually pay nothing

12.5k from part time work, 10k from dividends - Tax free allowance is currently £12,500, so you pay no income tax. 2k tax free dividends is subsumed by your £12,500 tax free allowance, meaning you have 10k taxable in dividends. Total of both is below higher tax tax bracket so 7.5%, = £750 tax

50k in dividends - Holy poo poo what kind of private pension do you have. £12.5k tax free, means you're paying 7.5% tax on £37,500 dividend income = £2,812.50 in tax. This is actually impossible you can have a maximum pension pot of only £1.25 million, so at least some of these dividends are coming from outside your pension wrapper.

40k from work, 10k from dividends. You're scraping the 40% income tax bracket, but not breaching it. Paying 20% tax on £27,500 of income plus 7.5% on dividends = £8,312.50. Any additional dividend income you earn beyond this point will be taxed at 32.5%.

The 'losers' here are people who received between £12,500 and £50,000 in dividends per year. Labour is proposing bumping the rates from 7.5/32.5% -> 20/40%. But frankly these people are already pretty well off compared to most of the country.

And the inevitable quoting myself for those rich bastards who work as contractors (i.e. me)

Wow thanks! Shall bookmark for detailed examination later. I figured it was something that was to do with bringing dividend income in line with income income. erm. If you know what I mean.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wow thanks! Shall bookmark for detailed examination later. I figured it was something that was to do with bringing dividend income in line with income income. erm. If you know what I mean.

Yeah I've tweaked it a little since then, as I realise £14,000 - £12,500 is actually £1,500 not £3,500. Someone please check my maths before you go posting this to facebook.

E: And again, now I've refined this, the primary effect of this change is to bring draw-down pensions inline with annuities.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 30, 2019

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
And there goes the Lib Dem Brexit policy formally

Would love a post-mortem sometime about how they've quite hosed it this badly

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RockyB posted:

Yeah I've tweaked it a little since then, as I realise £14,000 - £12,500 is actually £1,500 not £3,500. Someone please check my maths before you go posting this to facebook.

I've bookmarked the actual post instead of copying and pasting so edit away!

Don't worry, I shan't post to facebook, just want to understand it myself so I can go 'nur nur ni nur nur' to people.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm convincing myself to go canvassing tomorrow for Ali Milani, in Johnson's constituency. Never done this before but I'm assuming they need all the help they can get.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Barry Foster posted:

I didn't consent to sex chat chat

What about sex dwarf sex chat chat chat?

These are the first 5 Google image search results for "Sunday Sport sex dwarf". There are many more :D

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Apraxin posted:

‘Not only are we utterly blameless for yesterday’s terrorism, it’s actually Labour’s fault’ is a bold argument, but if anyone’s shameless enough to run with it, it’s her:
https://mobile.twitter.com/patel4witham/status/1200815822853328898
as a reminder original sentence was in 2012 after an arrest in dec 2010: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16968518

quote:

Usman Khan, 20, and Nazam Hussain, 26, also from Stoke-on-Trent, were ordered to serve at least eight years.
then at the appeals stage in 2013 leveson ruled following the tories abolishing IPPs (keep someone in prison until they've proven they've changed): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422

quote:

In its judgement, the Court of Appeal said that it was replacing the IPPs with fixed terms and extended licences. The halfway point of the fixed terms - at which point the men are eligible for release on licence - matches the minimum the men would have originally served before they could seek to leave prison.
Usman Khan, 22, and Nazam Hussain, 27, were ordered to serve at least eight years of their new 16-year sentences. All three were told they would be subject to extended licences of five years beyond their sentences, a measure which allows the authorities to recall someone to prison.
and the papers are grabbing it while it's hot: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/priti-patel-blames-labour-for-law-that-meant-release-of-dangerous-terrorists/

quote:

Sentences of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPPs) were introduced in 2005 and given to violent or sexual offenders who posed a risk to society.

They would not include a fixed term of imprisonment but instead would give an offender a minimum period to serve before they could be released.

A prisoner serving an indeterminate sentence would stay in prison until it was found they were safe to be released, meaning they could remain locked up for decades if they were still thought to be dangerous.

They were abolished in December 2012, but not for existing prisoners.

Khan and two others were originally given indeterminate sentences with a minimum term of eight years behind bars instead of a fixed term.

Khan, along with Nazam Hussain and Mohammed Shahjahan, appealed against their sentences and had the indeterminate sentences dropped by the Court of Appeal in 2013.

Mr Justice Leveson found the original decision had “wrongly characterised” the three men as more dangerous than the other defendants.
looking forward to tomorrow night's debates, unfortunately it's 7 parties again with johnson and farage appearing

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is all this pissing and moaning just you laying the groundwork for a meltdown next time the thread gets horny? :v:

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Poll question for you guys: why was the yougov poll saying that a 7-point tory lead was hung parliament territory? In 2017 there was only a 2 pt tory lead, and it looked like it just barely ended up as a hung parliament (with some seats being decided on the order of dozens of votes). Has the balance of public opinion shifted across seats? Or is something else up?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Pesky Splinter posted:

quote:

Vince Cable calls Lib Dems' pledge to revoke article 50 'a distraction'

:ohdear: See Jo! They're all turning on you! But I can help you! We can work together!

:byodame: gently caress OFF SQUIRREL SYMPATHISER!

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wocobob posted:

Poll question for you guys: why was the yougov poll saying that a 7-point tory lead was hung parliament territory? In 2017 there was only a 2 pt tory lead, and it looked like it just barely ended up as a hung parliament (with some seats being decided on the order of dozens of votes). Has the balance of public opinion shifted across seats? Or is something else up?

FPTP metrics : win half the seats with 100% of the vote, lose half of them with 49% of the vote. If the swing doesn't quite win a seat it may as well never have occured there.

also they'll be increasing their vote share by a greater amount in areas they already do well in, less so in areas they don't

Chuff McNothing fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 30, 2019

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

wocobob posted:

Wasn't the 2pt Tory lead from the final vote count, but the polls on the day had them on 12pts or something?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Can't wait to hear the fubpees howling about how they're politically homeless again, mostly so I can rub the idea that Labour should have obviously called for revocation in their stupid loving faces.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pilchenstein posted:

Is all this pissing and moaning just you laying the groundwork for a meltdown next time the thread gets horny? :v:

Sex chat in someone's presence absolutely is used as a common kind of sexual harassment and bullying. Obviously context matters and there are millions of occasions when it's fine. But if someone's response suggests they're sore you should stfu, I reckon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

otherwise we'd have been having the same conversations about a lot of our society's performative heterosexuality being "shoved down our throats" for a long time. The vast majority of public sexchat I've heard has been straight lads boasting and probably making poo poo up, and that predates sex-positivity (and feminism) by a few centuries, but I have a feeling that the tweets weren't pointed at them.
Obviously this depends a lot on social groups, but "straight lads boasting" brings teenagers to mind for me, not grown adults. Which as a teen you might think you just have to accept, while as an adult you decide that no, you really don't need that poo poo in your work life.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I have...had sex.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Braggart posted:

What about sex dwarf sex chat chat chat?

These are the first 5 Google image search results for "Sunday Sport sex dwarf". There are many more :D

There's always more where that comes from

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Firos posted:

I have...had sex.

But not as much as your sex dwarf.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jabby posted:

Yes, it's creepy if someone initiates a conversation about sex with you, but you don't get to police other people's conversations because your delicate ears might overhear them say something scandalous.

Maybe think about people who have PTSD from getting abused as a child and get triggered by conversations about sex, and you have no idea about it, yes?

Don't talk about sex unless you know you're talking with people who are fine talking about sex with you. It's not that goddamn hard.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mfcrocker posted:

the big surprise here is they're admitting the possibility they won't be a majority government. surely some still believe in the glorious dream of Jo;650

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Angepain posted:

what are they even doing with that toothpaste. do i want to know. what do they have planned for us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97jt1XtnGQ

I'm not a kpop expert but I think it's about putting something else in the toothpaste to get revenge on a lovely boyfriend

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously this depends a lot on social groups, but "straight lads boasting" brings teenagers to mind for me, not grown adults. Which as a teen you might think you just have to accept, while as an adult you decide that no, you really don't need that poo poo in your work life.
It brings to mind "certain public houses" to me more than an age group. The language in the tweet didn't make me think 'at work' though, and yeah, there's a lot of stuff that I don't want to hear at work, and you don't get to pick and choose your work environment so that's a place where 'tolerably neutral' might have to apply.

I think Angepain hit the nail on the head there though, that's why Twitter is terrible for discourse, not why sexchat is universally bad. It's the focus on 'consent' that seemed off to me though, like some libertarian saying "I do not consent to this dialogue" more than actual people talking, which is a situational thing. Some conversations are situationally appropriate or inappropriate, and where policing those we need to be careful we're doing it fairly. Otherwise it's more a case of "this conversation is gross, y'all gross, I'm out" than consent.

Again, Twitter bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it's annoying and gross when men announce they're excited about something like a new videogame or a film or what have you by saying they're hard or talking about how big of an erection they have.

that's my sex chat opinion

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the Lib Dem collapse but they still need to hold the line in some places, like Raab's constituency.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1200855757362782209

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

peanut- posted:

I'm enjoying the Lib Dem collapse but they still need to hold the line in some places, like Raab's constituency.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1200855757362782209

That explains why I saw a petition on Facebook asking Labour to step aside in that constituency. If those numbers are real I wouldn't totally be against it - lib dems are tories but they may be slightly less awful tories than Raab.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Thanks for your replies, all. Your range of thoughts pretty much reflects my own. I've not been responding by rolling my eyes back into my head and doing the Bodysnatcher squeal, so don't worry about about me appearing in the local rag next to an aggrieved pensioner who only wants to herd the foreigns into the North Sea. Mostly wanted to sanity check what I'm doing. Honestly I try to sow the seed of doubt but I've got a much lower threshold for disengaging and moving on than some fellas. I'm on firmer ground hunting centrists and they're-all-the-same types.

No wonder the Tories have no ground game like. Just the thought of having to cultivate these lost ones with 'hmm yes legitimate concerns' chinstroking shrivels my bollocks.

Re: polls I'm not letting that +7 swing into my zone. I am NOT stoked. I'm in my zen dreamstate, unperturbed. Why concern ourselves with such things? The Poll that can be told is not the eternal Poll. The Jez that can be named is not the eternal Jez.

(the wind whispers, 'winning here')

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Maugrim posted:

That explains why I saw a petition on Facebook asking Labour to step aside in that constituency. If those numbers are real I wouldn't totally be against it - lib dems are tories but they may be slightly less awful tories than Raab.

Eh it doesn't really help Labour in any way just to stand down and Raab is poo poo but not exceptionally poo poo for a Tory so it's not really any reason to want to kick him out at any cost.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

crispix posted:

Have I actually mentioned police, at all? :laugh:

Jeezaloo.

ah, the jordan peterson approach to discussion

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
just seen someone rip down some conservative signs, which I assume is some sort of theft or criminal damage but also p lol

e: not that I endorse it but they're on my drive home and I'd been idly fantasising about it and then I saw someone else actually do ir

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Maugrim posted:

if I were the Labour candidate I'd want a bit more information than a single poll before I stood down my entire election campaign

e: also loving lol at the idea of any petition shared on Facebook achieving anything, ever

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

ah, the jordan peterson approach to discussion
If someone's talking about alternative non-police polypolies on violence in NI I'm not thinking JP and his dragons of chaos.

(Peterson, he's not in the 'ra)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The one thing I will say is that yes, the Lib Dems may be yellow Tories, but every Tory seat they do snipe in the South-East is one more seat towards Labour being the largest party in Parliament.

Now of course that wouldn't stop the Lib Dems stabbing the country in the back and coalitioning with the Tories, but it would at least make it more embarrassing for them :v:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Maugrim posted:

Strategic voting is a poison that rots the core of our country.

Those labour voters aren't owed to the piss dems.

The most important thing isn't stopping the conservatives, it's electing good people - If you wear yellow on your coat you have piss in your heart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paul.Power posted:

Now of course that wouldn't stop the Lib Dems stabbing the country in the back and coalitioning with the Tories, but it would at least make it more embarrassing for them :v:
You're assuming they're capable of feeling shame or consequences outside of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSS1FIkGOX8

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

just seen someone rip down some conservative signs, which I assume is some sort of theft or criminal damage but also p lol

Except labour will get the blame whether or not it was labour supporters.
Last GE we had tory posters defaced and lots of complaints about labour members doing it. But no one ever saw it being done. We were sure it was tories doing it themselves to get the publicity.
(A bit like the brick thrown through the window into the stairwell at the back of a building in which Angela Eagle happened to have her office the other side of the building along with several other organisations. Blamed on momentum thugs, never the slightest evidence that it was anything other than kids who had been going round the area doing the same to other buildings.
What happened to her anyway? Does she still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pilchenstein posted:

it behooves you as a self-described leftist not to sneer at issues like consent and sexual harassment, imo