Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Jesus christ no one will join a max raid and the AI keeps sending out pokemon with horrid typing and I cant refresh my max raids till I beat this ahh this system is garbage

I usually give it a minute and a half and just back out and restart the queue

people are generally super willing to join in my experience, the crapshoot is whether or not it appears in their queue, and bailing and restarting is the best way to ensure it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remakes should take a B/W approach and exclude all non regional pokemon until the post game.

Let us not repeat the folly of Firered and Leafgreem

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

I usually give it a minute and a half and just back out and restart the queue

people are generally super willing to join in my experience, the crapshoot is whether or not it appears in their queue, and bailing and restarting is the best way to ensure it does

Done it 3 times, no one wants Rimombee I guess.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Where did that rumor that you could rename traded Pokémon come from? Made the mistake of assuming that was true and waited to rename a perfect IV Sobble until after I ev trained it and now I'm left with a Japanese Inteleon that I don't know what to call lol. Jokes on me.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Which of the Mystery Dungeon games would people recommend? The metacritic scores aren't exactly inspiring.

Start with Explorers of the Sky, definitely. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is a close second, even if the recruiting there is divisive and might not be ableto use any pokemon at any day. Either Rescue Team if you don't mind some first game quirks like the limited inventory space, some postgame dungeon requiring specific HMs either learned or in the inventory and a recruiting system that can be almost infuriating sometimes, Gates to Infinity if you still want more and don't mind the less available pokemon but drat if it doesn't have the better story.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

cyxx posted:

Oh my god I hate this game so much. While breeding for hidden abilities, I got shiny's for both magikarp and indeedee but neither had the hidden ability.

Let me introduce you to my Snivy "Too bad"...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man Ultra Sun feels like it has some odd balancing, I turned off exp share halfway through the first island cause it seemed like it'd make it too easy and it didn't have any negative impact until now, I'm at this fire trial and it seems like they expect your pokemon to be way higher than the Marowak and it's accompanying Salazzle cause they are loving my team up. Like, they outspeed everything, deal shitloads of damage and tank stuff that is supposedly super effective against them, feels like a proper brick wall the likes of which I have never encountered in a Pokemon game.

Also, why is Crabrawler a pure fighting type? He's a loving crab, should be water/fighting surely? I know he evolves into an ice/fighting type but it still feels weird. Same with that new one in SwSh that's a fighting Octopus. I totally didn't notice he wasn't water type until the Marowak hit him with Flamewheel and he didn't resist it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Where did that rumor that you could rename traded Pokémon come from? Made the mistake of assuming that was true and waited to rename a perfect IV Sobble until after I ev trained it and now I'm left with a Japanese Inteleon that I don't know what to call lol. Jokes on me.

I thought it only worked if the pokemon hadn't already been nicknamed?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

I thought it only worked if the pokemon hadn't already been nicknamed?

Guess my guy is nicknamed already! I had no clue. My name will just have to be in my head then.

E. Or maybe someone here knows what my man's name is?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 30, 2019

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

thebardyspoon posted:

Also, why is Crabrawler a pure fighting type? He's a loving crab, should be water/fighting surely? I know he evolves into an ice/fighting type but it still feels weird. Same with that new one in SwSh that's a fighting Octopus. I totally didn't notice he wasn't water type until the Marowak hit him with Flamewheel and he didn't resist it.

Crabrawler is a Coconut Crab. They don't care for water.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rudoku posted:

Crabrawler is a Coconut Crab. They don't care for water.

Didn't know that was a thing, fair enough (he still learns water moves though so clearly he doesn't mind it too much).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 30, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Deified Data posted:

Apparently his Japanese name is Inteleon

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Guess my guy is nicknamed already! I had no clue. My name will just have to be in my head then.

Yeah that's just Inteleon spelled using katakana.

Also re: Garde vs Hatterene. Gardevoir is at a weird speed where it really wants a scarf, and Hatterene is better in every other way. Scarf Garde is very good in VGC and to some extent in singles, Hatterene is a Trick Room staple, and also generally strong specially defensive pivot with the HA to keep hazards out. They're actually not that directly comparable but they're both pretty good. Gardevoir is actually at the perfect speed stat for scarf where it outspeeds +speed Dragapult (421) with scarf (426) fwiw, it's going to make a huge difference this gen being 80 base speed as opposed to 78 or lower, which would get beaten out by Dragapult.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I really need to look up what pokemon naturally learn explosion. I've already gotten hosed out of gigalith and turtonator by that stupid move :argh:
that's gotta be fake, right? there's no way he posted that picture with zero self awareness, right?

Dienes posted:

So did I. Every once in a while my mom asks to see what Ninetails looks like in the latest game. She's never played but that's her favorite. :3:
until I finished out my final team, I kept swapping in ninetales because it looks so cute in this game. mediocre stats all around, but still one of my fav pokemon :3:

cyxx posted:

Oh my god I hate this game so much. While breeding for hidden abilities, I got shiny's for both magikarp and indeedee but neither had the hidden ability.
I had the same thing happen to me back in gen 6 with torchic :suicide:
my first shiny pokemon, and not only did it not have the Speed Boost, it was a 5IV torchic... with speed being the dump stat.

Kurtofan posted:

would you like it if remakes introduced new regional forms? i would love it
regional forms are the best idea they've had in ages, they should absolutely have a few in every game

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Man Ultra Sun feels like it has some odd balancing, I turned off exp share halfway through the first island cause it seemed like it'd make it too easy and it didn't have any negative impact until now, I'm at this fire trial and it seems like they expect your pokemon to be way higher than the Marowak and it's accompanying Salazzle cause they are loving my team up. Like, they outspeed everything, deal shitloads of damage and tank stuff that is supposedly super effective against them, feels like a proper brick wall the likes of which I have never encountered in a Pokemon game.

they decided to make up for how easy it was to destroy totem salazzle in SuMo

you kind of need intimidate to deal with that fight if you aren't overlevelled since they thought giving that thing a thick club wasn't overkill

e: lol they moved the bulldoze TM to konikoni

Wellwinds fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 30, 2019

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dienes posted:

This link system is absolutely dreadful. My SO and I have been trying for 10 minutes to connect to each other and our devices refuse to connect, despite having no problem joining each other's max raids. We can't see each other's stamps or anything.

How does technology keep getting better but the trade system in Pokemon continue to get worse?

Edit: FINALLY

It was so good in 6th Gen too. Where you can just see trainer icons and click on your friend and trade with them.

I’ve been having the same issues with a friend and he has to reboot his switch for the stamps to work. We can see the stamps, but can’t interact with them.

Also, in a game with character customization and tradable character cards.... why on earth do we have to pick a generic trainer icon as our avatar?! That’s another thing that they already got right with Gen 6. Like, I knew my friend was online because their character wore a certain hat. Why can’t we just crop our league card to use as our avatar?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently his Japanese name is Inteleon

Aw. Don't know what the point of that is, but he's too good not to do something with so I'll have to quiet my brain gremlins on this one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

This link system is absolutely dreadful. My SO and I have been trying for 10 minutes to connect to each other and our devices refuse to connect, despite having no problem joining each other's max raids. We can't see each other's stamps or anything.

How does technology keep getting better but the trade system in Pokemon continue to get worse?

Edit: FINALLY

I've been having this issue consistently with my friend - neither of us have trouble connecting to others but for whatever reason, whether online or local, our games refuse to communicate.

I think we found a remedy for this last night though. Fully restarting both our switches got us in communication somehow. Just closing the software or putting the switch to sleep didn't help.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There being fish pokes that aren't water type is actually cool and good. It gave us good poo poo like Stunfisk and Grapploct and slapping water on them just cause it makes logical sense to specifically broken brains would be bad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There being fish pokes that aren't water type is actually cool and good. It gave us good poo poo like Stunfisk and Grapploct and slapping water on them just cause it makes logical sense to specifically broken brains would be bad.

Wow thanks for saying I have a broken brain because I thought a crab should be a water type you loving oval office.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Someone made a regional variant Fighting/Ghost Machamp and now I want it so badly

Phantom Limbs haw :haw:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leal posted:

Ash should run into grown up Red and get a mind gently caress that the guy who was laughing in the same movie theater as him back in the Kanto arc is now an adult while Ash still hasn't aged.

This has happened right? Trying to google confirmation of this is a loving trainwreck as all the results is full of detective pikachu, pokemon go and how to find Red in Sun and Moon.

No I think you’re thinking of a Hoenn episode where Ash was seen in a flashback with Gary watching a movie based on the first Pokémon manga (the gag one with the Clefairy that just got canceled finally this year).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Wow thanks for saying I have a broken brain because I thought a crab should be a water type you loving oval office.

Type Essentia Head Canons are almost always dumb and if you can't handle very light hyperbolic ribbing on SA you probably just shouldn't post.

hopeandjoy posted:

No I think you’re thinking of a Hoenn episode where Ash was seen in a flashback with Gary watching a movie based on the first Pokémon manga (the gag one with the Clefairy that just got canceled finally this year).

Was that the cool one or the bad one? I forget which one adventures is and which one is the other one.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Type Essentia Head Canons are almost always dumb and if you can't handle very light hyperbolic ribbing on SA you probably just shouldn't post.

Was that the cool one or the bad one? I forget which one adventures is and which one is the other one.

The bad one. Adventures is Special and isn’t a gag manga.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Deified Data posted:

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah that's just Inteleon spelled using katakana.

Huh, was he named that when he was still a Sobble? It would be a bit strange but maybe his OT nicknamed him "Intelion" in katakana. I haven't tried renaming a non English language Pokemon, but I have nicknamed a couple that my husband sent me. The name rater specifically asked if I was sure about the name, saying I would not be able to change it again later as I was not the OT.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapploct being pure fighting is infinitely more boring than it being water/fighting though. There are more than enough pure fighting types.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Grapploct being pure fighting is infinitely more boring than it being water/fighting though. There are more than enough pure fighting types.

There are more than enough water types as well. Should have given it literally any other secondary type.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't have argued with Falinks being like, ground/fighting or bug/fighting instead of pure

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

There are more than enough water types as well. Should have given it literally any other secondary type.

I mean, are there any water/fighting types other than the Poliwrath line? Its not a type combo they've done a ton.

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't have argued with Falinks being like, ground/fighting or bug/fighting instead of pure

Looking at its movepool Falinks was obviously supposed to be fighting/bug but they had some weird design goal with Galar to introduce more monotypes. No idea why but a lot of pokemon that are mono could of easily been dual.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Genovera posted:

Huh, was he named that when he was still a Sobble? It would be a bit strange but maybe his OT nicknamed him "Intelion" in katakana. I haven't tried renaming a non English language Pokemon, but I have nicknamed a couple that my husband sent me. The name rater specifically asked if I was sure about the name, saying I would not be able to change it again later as I was not the OT.

It turns out you can nickname another trainers pokemon only if they are not named AND they are your same language-- just tested it. I found a German Zigzagoon (Zigzachs) I got from wonder trade. I was not allowed to name it. I evolved it to make sure and his name changed to Geradaks as a Linoone. That's dumb, the game clearly knows it's the default name since it changes upon evolution. But you can't nickname it.

I would have thought there was a "has nickname" flag that gets checked but apparently it's literally just checking if the name matches the species in your language??

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genovera posted:

Yeah the name rater said the name was perfect as it was so it looks like the OT just named their Sobble Inteleon. :/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Bug/Fighting is what I assumed when we first saw the model and I'm still dissapointed. I mean we don't have the UBs OR Heracross so what was stoppin them. It even learns Megahorn AND First Impression.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bug/Fighting is what I assumed when we first saw the model and I'm still dissapointed. I mean we don't have the UBs OR Heracross so what was stoppin them. It even learns Megahorn AND First Impression.

ya sort of the impression I got. If it had been bug/fighting I probably would've been able to fit it into my final team, but pure fighting left too many gaps with my starter being Sobble even though I really wanted a Falinks camping bro :(

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

That reminds me, with my boy Aerodactyl and Minor gone Rock/Flying has been deleted too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

That reminds me, with my boy Aerodactyl and Minor gone Rock/Flying has been deleted too.

RIP MInior, the only good rock type pokemon....

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

Which of the Mystery Dungeon games would people recommend? The metacritic scores aren't exactly inspiring.

the metacritic scores for mystery dungeon are trash, they're all amazing games (except for gates to infinity and, to a lesser extent, rescue team)

it's not the games' faults their reviewers were loving horrible at tactical play and intense marathon management

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Neo_Crimson posted:

RIP MInior, the only good rock type pokemon....

I will not stand for this Archeops erasure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/mamathzilla/status/1200739768264380416?s=19

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait so the pokemon in the wild zones just jump up to level 60 when you collect all the badges?

So there was literally no reason for me to bother catching anything in here until now?! I coulda just waited and burnt a rare candy to evolve mons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

On second thought Falinks shouldn't be a bug because it learns so many bug moves nor because it looks sort of like a caterpillar

It should be Bug/Fighting because Bug is the best type in the world.