Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Neon Noodle posted:

I agree about 100% cotton paper and artist grade paints, but disagree about using kolinsky brushes for watercolor. I have found synthetic brushes to be perfectly fine for the majority of my water media work. I use kolinsky brushes for inking comics because they hold a lot of ink and come to a very fine point, but that is really a drawing thing and not a painting thing. Japanese or Chinese goat hair brushes are also good for watercolor, and they’re cheap.

I think you can do 99% of what anyone would want to do with:
- a 1-inch flat brush
- a 1/2-inch flat brush
- a large round brush

The Silver Brush Black Velvet sets are reasonably priced and have everything you’d need:
https://www.jerrysartarama.com/silver-brush-black-velvet-brush-sets

Heh, have to admit the Black Velvets are my workhorses, the kolinsky ones I have are for that extra smooth feel. They are also expensive so I only have small ones or I would have to grab the travel set.
Fully agree with the brushes mentioned, where "large round" would be an 8 or a 10 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Medenmath posted:

This is great, if terrifying. It also inspired me to draw some much crummier Disney Afternoon fanart also.

haha cool.
Yeah, a lot of people reported the image to be frightening. I'm very happy you were inspired though :D

Here's a D&D character commission I just completed. There's 2 more to go from this player group. I hope to get more afterwards.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi hello I'm really enjoying the new pokemon and you'll have to fight me to stop wanting to draw pokemon fan art.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

Been in a bit of a slump, lately, but I hit a hot streak today.

Continuing the fan art of Not Another D&D Podcast, I did Moonshine Cybin and Paw Paw.

And even more Not Another D&D Podcast fan art.

I'm actually really enjoying doing art again for the first time in quite a while.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Was commissioned to make a big version of a little old sketch

11x14” ink on clayboard

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What is clayboard?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Angrymog posted:

What is clayboard?

Scratchboard but without the initial black surface

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I think I figured it out! The doodles and practise stuff goes here and the stuff I am proud of in the traditional thread.

Did some fruit too

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 26, 2019

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

dupersaurus posted:

Heads aren't circles or boxes anyway, so problem solved!

The profile shot on the bottom left illustrates the problem with the approach. The ears are about where the back of the head ends, where the back of the neck starts, and where the jaw meets the cranium; the front of the head is on the order of twice as tall as the back of the head.

Now you point it out, I can see what you mean... And yet trying to address it is 12055% hell.

Trying to follow the loomis method and... I am bad at it.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

And for anyone who's doubting that there's a dog in that drawing: https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1199752488024453121

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We did lino cuts at art society tonight.

Ears got a bit messy and confused, and I think the right hand side of the lower muzzle looks better than the left.

Stuff like this scares me because once you've cut something away, there's no coming back

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lunchtime still life.

Was done with what I assume are student grade caran d'ache pencils (I bought them nearly 20 years ago, they're in a plain blue box with no fancy name). Noticed some colours - e.g the yellows are much waxier than others and harder to layer. I take it professional pencils have a more consistent texture across the colours?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 29, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Vitamin d20 :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I couldn't find a third edible thing on my desk, so giant D20 it was :)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

stuff and commissions

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
here's another guy

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
This is cool. I did a little paint over of the ambient occlusion spots, I think if you darken them a little bit more it’ll help the solidity of the elements up against each other:

Gif:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

heres an underwater scene I started a good while ago inspired by those water scenes Shinmera did in this thread but I kinda gave up and then finally finished it, anyways here it is I think I got the colors kind of wrong but oh well

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Drawings!!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

a hole-y ghost posted:

heres an underwater scene I started a good while ago inspired by those water scenes Shinmera did in this thread but I kinda gave up and then finally finished it, anyways here it is I think I got the colors kind of wrong but oh well

Oh man, I love the shapes! The bending gives it a sort of dream-like quality. If I could critique something, it would be that the water above the ground should have more contrast. A gradient starting darker at the bottom should work well.

Haven't been feeling like drawing myself recently, uni has been stressing me out too much.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Oh man, I love the shapes! The bending gives it a sort of dream-like quality. If I could critique something, it would be that the water above the ground should have more contrast. A gradient starting darker at the bottom should work well.

Haven't been feeling like drawing myself recently, uni has been stressing me out too much.
Thanks! I'll probably make another one and take that into account. It will get finished... sometime :sweatdrop:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

This is cool. I did a little paint over of the ambient occlusion spots, I think if you darken them a little bit more it’ll help the solidity of the elements up against each other:

Gif:

Thanks, I'll try it!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am trying out oil painting and it is way harder than I thought. This is my second attempt. Critique/pointers would be very welcome

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Dregs posted:

I am trying out oil painting and it is way harder than I thought. This is my second attempt. Critique/pointers would be very welcome

at the end of each session, you should blend out the edges of anything that's not supposed to be a really hard edge, as you won't be able to soften them later. Use a dry, clean soft brush and really light strokes to do this blending. I like makeup blending brushes for this, but most any kind of brush will do if it's dry, clean and soft-bristled.

When it's drying, try to keep it somewhere with good airflow but minimal dust (these things are magnets for dust)

the skin tones are looking possibly too light but this is okay at this stage. you can always add on a transparent layer for more color and contrast later (part of what's really nice and convenient about oil paints)

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 1, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Considering getting a FC polychromos set - what would people recommend - I'm thinking the 60, then buying anything extra I want from open order.

I did a cheeky doodle of an apple in Hobby Craft today and they were so much nicer than the old caran d'aches I have atm.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

a hole-y ghost posted:

at the end of each session, you should blend out the edges of anything that's not supposed to be a really hard edge, as you won't be able to soften them later. Use a dry, clean soft brush and really light strokes to do this blending. I like makeup blending brushes for this, but most any kind of brush will do if it's dry, clean and soft-bristled.

When it's drying, try to keep it somewhere with good airflow but minimal dust (these things are magnets for dust)

the skin tones are looking possibly too light but this is okay at this stage. you can always add on a transparent layer for more color and contrast later (part of what's really nice and convenient about oil paints)

Thank you!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

New game! Arrange bits of paper on the page, then make random life-drawing pose fit them:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I want to practise more interesting angles for characters, so I did a couple of sketch studies tonight.

Only managed to save this one from the trash bin though, but didn't have the energy to properly finish it so it's real sloppy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Getting the jaw/neck right from that angle is SO hard!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Shinmera posted:

I want to practise more interesting angles for characters, so I did a couple of sketch studies tonight.

Only managed to save this one from the trash bin though, but didn't have the energy to properly finish it so it's real sloppy.

I like it.

Here's the guy from before with some soft shading on top and a bit of stronger highlights too. (and the eye socket was bothering me also)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I am busy being the avatar of Tired but here's a problematic pokemon:

I mean you catch an adorable little ball of berry with a happy face and love it and nurture it and suddenly you've got a sexy legs pokemon, who is a freaking queen and you still love her but drat, it's still a sexy legs pokemon.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

And now all the other pokemon trainers know you as that guy.

This is why you don't let pokemon evolve, kids.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
from a reference

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Last guy from this group:

and a group composition:

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone asked me to draw them. used a photo for reference.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

a hole-y ghost posted:

I just realized after reading this again that I have no idea what a contrast layer is. Google isn't helping much. Could someone please take the time to explain it to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

IDClip doggy is the best.

The Dregs posted:

I just realized after reading this again that I have no idea what a contrast layer is. Google isn't helping much. Could someone please take the time to explain it to me?

Been a while since I painted with oils, but I think what hole-y ghost is referring to is that you can take a small amount of paint and mix it with a large amount of medium to get a transparent color. You can get some real neat effects by layering transparent glazes of various colors on top of an underpainting.