Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have my Quest with the velcro+battery on the back mod, and it helps in leaving the headset on its place, without moving down after a few minutes. Although in the end I still have to put the straps fairly tight for games with decent amounts of movement or it will move a bit and I will lose clarity, so I still have the red marks on my face after a session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Which is exactly what I'm saying here.

Its "FINE"

Its not a PCVR headset.

I honestly don't understand how you're happy full time in it. Did you DAS mod? Because the default strap is toxic, and the whole headphones thing is a mess.

Nope, and I just use the built in audio.

It's just good.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Nope, and I just use the built in audio.

It's just good.

Yeah you clearly have a high level of tolerance for jank.

Again. Its "Fine" but yeah. Not getting a recommend from me as a PC headset.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There won't be a "whole separate library" of Quest exclusive titles. There's like a weird Half Life thing, but that's about it. Everything else is or will be on the Rift S through Oculus' storefront. One's a cellphone and the other is hooked up to a (hopefully) beefy desktop, although I had no problem running VR on a gaming laptop for a couple years.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's "fine" if you don't have the expected IPD range the Rift S expects you to have. So the Quest is more or less my only option at that price point.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

I honestly don't understand how you're happy full time in it. Did you DAS mod? Because the default strap is toxic, and the whole headphones thing is a mess.

A lot of people say they prefer the Quest/OG Rift style of strap. Personally I think this is crazy and the welder's helmet strap design is vastly more comfortable, but it's definitely a preference thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EbolaIvory posted:

Which is what I'm saying here.

Its "FINE"

Its not a PCVR headset. And when someone is asking about PCVR, its not going to get recommended by me as a consumer product for PCVR.

The Quest is the second best wireless PC headset.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Everyone who's ever complained to me IRL that the Quest was uncomfortable didn't have the strap far enough down the back of their head.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
I can get the Quest very comfortable but it always slips down my face and becomes uncomfortable. I'll have to look into adding a battery on the back of it to balance it out.

As my first VR headset, I think the quest is amazing though i've only used it stand alone as i've been unable to get the link working. No matter what settings I try or cables/usb 3 ports I use I cannot get it to work correctly, I get audio from my pc to the quest and it gives me the green checkmark in the oculus pc program but it just sits at either 3 dots or a black screen. Oculus support is pretty stumped as well so I can't recommend the Quest if you're primarily going to use it connected to your pc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

The Quest is the second best wireless PC headset.

Only because its the only other one. XD

NRVNQSR posted:

A lot of people say they prefer the Quest/OG Rift style of strap. Personally I think this is crazy and the welder's helmet strap design is vastly more comfortable, but it's definitely a preference thing.

OG Rift was fine. I had no real issues with it personally. The plastic on the new one is way stiffer and shaped slightly different in the back.

blunt posted:

Everyone who's ever complained to me IRL that the Quest was uncomfortable didn't have the strap far enough down the back of their head.

Sadly this isnt a user error issue. I've been in and out of quests for a hell of a lot longer than most people.. Quest Ads and stuff.

Its just not comfortable for big heads. I'm like, that guy that uses the last or second to last snap on a hat, keep that in mind.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 30, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The only thing that makes a VR headset a PCVR headset is if it can connect to a PC, regardless of how this is achieved, which the Quest is capable of doing. If the OG Rift is a PCVR headset then the Quest is too and it's arguably a better one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eh, by that logic you're gonna say a Gear VR or a Daydream is a PCVR headset, because Trinus exists

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The Quest is effectively a PCVR headset when connected to the PC via USB & Link.

The fact that it's not on your buying guide at all, EbolaIvory, is pretty telling. Especially considering Rift S isn't an option for anyone outside the rather small IPD range it supports (compared to other HMDs).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RandomBlue posted:

The Quest is effectively a PCVR headset when connected to the PC via USB & Link.

The fact that it's not on your buying guide at all, EbolaIvory, is pretty telling. Especially considering Rift S isn't an option for anyone outside the rather small IPD range it supports (compared to other HMDs).

Its telling as to what? That im thinking like a normal consumer and not a goon?

I own 2 quests, 2 vive pros, CV1, OG Vive. I'm not "new" to headsets, nor VR. VR is my full time employment. And part of that, is selling equipment to normal people and keeping retention on it.

What part of "its fine" are you folks missing? I'm sorry that I'm not willing to sell a MOBILE HEADSET as a PRIMARY PCVR headset to people without explaining that its NOT A PCVR headset first.

Yes, its fine for this thread, Yes its fine for people who understand what they are getting into. But you're delusional if you think selling it as a PCVR headset is the way to go.

End of the day. Its not on my radar as a primary PCVR headset for a new user. Someone who already has a headset, knows what they are getting into, etc? Sure, its a great addition to the headset gang.

As far as IPD, Yeah that can be an issue. Good thing the average person sits in that zone. Nobody is denying that. But again, pushing the quest as a primary headset for new users is silly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
PCVR is the niche, the Quest is going to be the best headset for most people, and part of the reason why the value is incredible is it does PCVR as well. The only real consideration is that there's not a "get this one cable" solution yet, considering experiences like NJD2005 had where he couldn't get a setup that's working.

As long as you can get it hooked up to your computer, there's literally nothing wrong with it being your primary PCVR headset. There's also nothing wrong with preferring something else, but to discount it as an option doesn't really make any sense.

There's a reason why Quest has the highest retention among the Go, Rift, Rift S, and Quest headsets. This was *before* the Link was available. Even if you want to primarily use PCVR, a lot of people are going to get a ton of value out of the standalone, and then being able to do PCVR well in addition is nuts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HycoCam posted:

Have tried to go back a few pages--but there is a lot to figure out with these VR googles. Played with a Quest over Thanksgiving and the walk around was pretty cool--but the majority of my gaming, I'd think, would be sim-pit stuff--racing, War Thunder, Elite:Dangerous type stuff

If I get the Quest and use the PC Link cable--that would allow the Quest to play all my PC games, same as the Rift S--but with an option to go wireless and play a different catalog of games? The Quest also has higher resolution than the Rift S. But I guess my question would be--is there a speed difference? If I have i7/1060 gaming rig--would the frames in driving/flying be better with a tethered Rift S than a PC linked Quest? Or would they be the same? And to that end--what is the value in the 128GB Quest over the 64GB--is it the ability to hold more games? Or does it allow more to load/shorten the change scene time? i.e. When I played Vader Immortal, had to wait in the dark for a bit between scenes. (And is it something that can be added with an SO-DIMM from Amazon?)

And while asking questions you guys have probably been repeatedly answering in the lead up to Black Friday. Oculus vs HTC vs Valve. If I had a grand to drop Valve Index is the best option currently on the market, but is tethered? The certified Pre-Owned VIVE is comparable to the Rift S? The Cosmos is a better tethered VR than the Rift S? And last question--the Vive's can all be made wireless for $300--but the HTC version of truly wireless requires a gaming PC to be in the room, right?

Thanks for any direction. Have a PS/4 VR now. Whatever I get will be an upgrade. Watching people try VR for the first time with the Quest was pretty cool, I have to say. Took about two minutes to get people gaming and having fun. But as cool as it is to whip out VR at a gathering, I'd hate to give up performance, especially if it meant I have the same issues as I have the PS/4 VR--about thirty minutes and my brain would rather be somewhere else.

-Quest with Link allows you to play all your PCVR games.
-A good amount of the quest games that run on the headset itself, are also on the PC, and a majority of them feature cross buy. So for example you buy "robo recall" on the quest, you can play the PC version as well, and vice versa. Note, not every game has crossbuy, its up to the discretion of the developer.
-The Quest has a higher resolution than the rift S, but quality wise the Rift S uses RGB strike, as opposed to pentile layout, so it actually has more subpixels and clarity. The Quest is also softening the far edges of the image to compress it, while the rift S is uncompressed.
-What performance difference there is I can't say, its likely not much. The Rift S has a higher 80hz refresh rate, while the Quest has a 72hz refresh.
-The size differences in the Quest is just over internal storage. If you want to watch a lot of 3D movies and stuff on flights or what have you, and don't like having to uninstall and reinstall stuff down the road to make space, thats the only time you'll really get big value from the larger size.
-Yes, if you're going to drop a grand, get an Index. (if you want to drop $6,000 get an enterprise XTAL HMD :v: )
-Don't buy a pre owned vive. Its much lower resolution, especially with RGB/Pentile difference, its lenses are much worse, more pain of a setup, and its controllers far worse. The only real exception is if you get it dirt cheap, and even then you'll probably want to spend $300 on the knuckles controllers and at that point... just get an Index to start with.
-Don't buy a Cosmos. Its at a real bad price point, has serious tracking issues, and the controllers eat batteries like candy. Maybe they'll fix its issues, change its price and it will be a good buy, but right now, all signs point to no, and just avoid it.
-The transmitter has to be in the room/line of sight with you for the HTC wireless due to bandwidth. Pretty sure you can extend the transmitter to some extent though.
-There is a 3rd party app to allow Quest wireless PC streaming through your wifi network. This is a 3rd party app though, its entirely dependent on your home network, and its latency is worse than the wired solution. Don't buy a Quest with the idea of using it as a wireless PCVR headset, its just a fun extra to play around with and some people like.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

PCVR is the niche, the Quest is going to be the best headset for most people, and part of the reason why the value is incredible is it does PCVR as well. The only real consideration is that there's not a "get this one cable" solution yet, considering experiences like NJD2005 had where he couldn't get a setup that's working.

As long as you can get it hooked up to your computer, there's literally nothing wrong with it being your primary PCVR headset. There's also nothing wrong with preferring something else, but to discount it as an option doesn't really make any sense.

There's a reason why Quest has the highest retention among the Go, Rift, Rift S, and Quest headsets. This was *before* the Link was available. Even if you want to primarily use PCVR, a lot of people are going to get a ton of value out of the standalone, and then being able to do PCVR well in addition is nuts.

Trust me, I wish I could 100% endorse it as a primary headset over others.

If someone was buying it as a mobile unit, and understood the BONUS of having it be a PCVR headset, sure. But thats the issue. I can't recommend it primary since like you said, cable isnt out yet (Yes theres third party, but this also complicates things for NON TECH users like it or not), its not really 100% pcvr, and while its "as simple as plugging it in", its really not just that simple for some people.

Ya'll need to understand I'm thinking general market here and I'm never going to sway from that when recommending things, regardless of user.

Personally, I think its a great feature. Again not once have I said "QUEST PCVR IS TRASH". Its just not going to get recommended as a PRIMARY VR HEADSET from me.

Agreed on the value, again as an above average user. Just, not as the general public.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Alternatively PCVR not being the Quest's primary design goal makes sense to preclude it from being recommended as one. It can just be because it isn't a PCVR headset, it wasn't primarily designed as one, doesn't come with the hardware to make it one.

Like this thread is pretty console-war like a lot of the time and everyone that takes part in it knows where they stand, me included. It is OK to talk about things without trying to fish out some ulterior motive.

That motive being that Facebook is complete and utter trash :getin:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Trust me, I wish I could 100% endorse it as a primary headset over others.

If someone was buying it as a mobile unit, and understood the BONUS of having it be a PCVR headset, sure. But thats the issue. I can't recommend it primary since like you said, cable isnt out yet (Yes theres third party, but this also complicates things for NON TECH users like it or not), its not really 100% pcvr, and while its "as simple as plugging it in", its really not just that simple for some people.

Ya'll need to understand I'm thinking general market here and I'm never going to sway from that when recommending things, regardless of user.

Personally, I think its a great feature. Again not once have I said "QUEST PCVR IS TRASH". Its just not going to get recommended as a PRIMARY VR HEADSET from me.

Agreed on the value, again as an above average user. Just, not as the general public.

You're completely wrong though and the option that demands you already have a quality gaming PC is objectively the niche option in comparison.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mischievous Mink posted:

You're completely wrong though and the option that demands you already have a quality gaming PC is objectively the niche option in comparison.
That's not even close to the argument that's going on right now, no one said its not niche, and you're either being real disingenuous rn or just illiterate. Playing games on phones is more mainstream than PC gaming too, but no one in their right mind is gonna recommend the Steam Link app as a replacement for a monitor.

Quest is fine, but if someone is looking for a hmd to plug into their computer primarily its not necessarily the best choice

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Eh, by that logic you're gonna say a Gear VR or a Daydream is a PCVR headset, because Trinus exists

Those don't have official support from the hardware vendors and aren't 6DOF, which is a practical requirement for PCVR games.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hey let's argue about what counts as a "PC" next, that will probably be just as fruitful and worth making GBS threads up this thread with

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

EbolaIvory posted:

1) Quest is not a PCVR headset. Some in this thread will tell you its a replacement, Its not. Its fine, Its alright, Its a step up from PSVR for sure, But you're ultimately buying a mobile headset to use on PC. Just know that going into it. AGAIN IT WORKS ITS FINE, just, its not a real replacement, thats all.
This is kind of what I was thinking. All clear now!

Lemming posted:

The Quest works well enough a PCVR headset that's it's the clear value choice.
Doh!

Taintrunner posted:

There won't be a "whole separate library" of Quest exclusive titles. There's like a weird Half Life thing, but that's about it. Everything else is or will be on the Rift S through Oculus' storefront. One's a cellphone and the other is hooked up to a (hopefully) beefy desktop, although I had no problem running VR on a gaming laptop for a couple years.
By separate library, I'm thinking Xbox vs PS/4 type thing. When I buy a title through the Quest wireless store--where else can I play the game?
There is no Steam app inside the Quest, right? No Facebook and Valve agreement kind of thing? Because it seems, unless the Quest is tethered, you'll need a license for any game you wanted to take on the go, correct? But I think you did clear up one question--if I buy something like Beat Saber through the Oculus store and owned both a Quest and Rift S, I would only need one license to play tethered to a PC or wirelessly?

My first buy would probably be Dirt Rally 2.0. But I'm not seeing DiRT in the Oculus store. Which I think means there is no playing DiRT wirelessly? My options to play DiRT would be to acquire a PC license from either Oculus for $60 or Valve for $18, at which point I can hop in the sim pit and play with the Rift S out of the box. If I wanted to play via the Quest, I'd need to buy the PC Link cable.
And here is where I get a little lost.
#1 The PC Link cable isn't available yet--so until it is, there is no playing DiRT on the Quest.
#2 When the cable does become available, the Rift S and Quest are both streaming what the PC is running--so the frames and the resolution match what the PC is pumping out, correct? Or does the tethering matter? The Rift is streaming via HDMI at up to 18Gbps while the Quest is showing in the specs it is 5Gbps on USB-C 3.0 (Not quite clear if the PC has USB 3.1 if the PC Link cable supports 10Gbps) i.e. how much does the data transfer rate matter with the streaming?

Thanks again for the education.

e: reading the posts since I started writing this one--and they are answering lots of these questions!

Tom Guycot posted:

-Quest with Link allows ...
.... and some people like.
Thank you so much for this--great info. Thanks too EbolaIvory, Lemming, and Taintrunner. Feel way better about understanding the options than I did a few hours ago.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 1, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mischievous Mink posted:

What?

You’re not reading or blatantly ignoring the argument here.

homeless snail posted:

That's not even close to the argument that's going on right now, no one said its not niche, and you're either being real disingenuous rn or just illiterate. Playing games on phones is more mainstream than PC gaming too, but no one in their right mind is gonna recommend the Steam Link app as a replacement for a monitor.

Quest is fine, but if someone is looking for a hmd to plug into their computer primarily its not necessarily the best choice

Ding ding ding ding ding

Y’all, I’m not talking out of my rear end here and it’s not complicated.

Hyco if you know what you’re getting into, the quest isn’t some horrible purchase. I’m just always going to caution someone buying it for the sole purpose of pcvr.

Refresh rate is lower on the quest. And you can buy cables that work “now”. Fwiw

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Part of the point that I'm trying to make is that standalone VR is something that a lot of people don't even realize they want. They think they want PCVR, but they would also get a ton of value out of standalone. I think it's tough for people to evaluate what they'd end up getting the most value out of sight unseen; VR in general is the kind of thing you really need to try to understand how great it is, and similarly something like the Quest you might think you won't want to use, but you could end up thinking it's awesome and wanting to use it a bunch.

The point of the recommendation of it as a PCVR headset is that it does the PCVR stuff well but you also get to do the standalone stuff nothing else does, and from the metrics Oculus has released (at least, what Carmack has said in his talk), people use the Quest more than anything else by a significant margin. This is why I'm making the value argument; it does PCVR marginally less well, at a slightly higher cost than a roughly equivalent headset like the S, but you can do so much more with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's fine and I make a similar argument to people buying PSVRs to get the move controllers even if they don't think they want them because I know they definitely do want them. But also if someone is looking for a PC headset primarily and the universal recommendation is to get a Quest because it does something they might not know they want at the expense of doing the thing they want a little bit worse, that kinda sucks. We shouldn't mislead people itt

The Quest is good and has a place, but (like the Rift S also) has a lot of caveats that people need to know about to make an informed decision if they're planning on plugging it into a PC.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Part of the point that I'm trying to make is that standalone VR is something that a lot of people don't even realize they want.

Like that somewhat dubious Henry Ford quote "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." Or, for another example, going into the shower on all fours and groaning pleasurably pretending to be a wet rhino on the African Savannah during the first rain in years in VR. That simply isn't possible to do with a cable going back to a PC.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've also known plenty of people who bought a Quest and after a while have let it sit collecting dust. The Link cable isn't going to bring the Quest to parity with the Rift S, either.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Is there a specifically recommend cable to extend the Rift S? Both Display Port and USB 3?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

I've also known plenty of people who bought a Quest and after a while have let it sit collecting dust. The Link cable isn't going to bring the Quest to parity with the Rift S, either.

I think that has more to do with the form factor of VR as a whole. Wireless does help, but putting on a big headset still isn't something that most people want to do, and that applies to PCVR, too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

somethingawful bf posted:

Or, for another example, going into the shower on all fours and groaning pleasurably pretending to be a wet rhino on the African Savannah during the first rain in years in VR.

Somebody's been having fun in VRChat I see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd say the Quest is the better general recommendation than a Rift S. It functions on PC well enough that most people don't care about the 8Hz difference in refresh rate, or don't notice it, and people are gonna get more out of a Quest in the long run as a portable device too. It's also the primary development device for Oculus, so anything new like hand tracking's gonna work a lot better with it than the pseudo-WMR headset made by Lenovo.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Taintrunner posted:

if it's just sitting collecting dust they willing to sell it?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Oculus Quest owners: have you had to do anything with your controllers to keep the battery from losing contact with strong swings?

I've had issues with my right controller (which is my dominant hand) and I'm going to try stabilizing the battery using one of the many tricks I'm reading about.

I'm just curious how much of an issue it is with users on here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Nevermind.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 1, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone have a spare CV1 headset cable lying around they want to sell me? Mine is occasionally doing the red dots thing and is pretty kinked up where it clamps to the headband.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What are the must play VR games? Besides Beat Saber

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

What are the must play VR games? Besides Beat Saber

Super.

HOT.

Super.

HOT

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

On that page, anyone have any fun vr games for boomers, preferably sitting down ones? Family is visiting for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Honestly I think the Rift S, Quest, and Samsung Odyssey are just about all equally tied in their viability as modern PC VR headsets, even excluding standalone. It shares the best controllers and optics in the price range with the Rift S, it shares proper IPD adjustment and deep black levels with the Odyssey, and it runs entirely off of a single USB 3 port. Comfort is iffy, but the same can be said for the Rift S and Odyssey as well (especially depending on how you feel about halo straps versus goggle straps), and it feels much better with headphones than the Rift S does.

Meanwhile, they all have pretty massive drawbacks. The Quest currently requires you to purchase a cable separately and has the worst resolution of the bunch thanks to video compression, the Rift S just flat-out won't work for a decent chunk of people since the IPD is fixed, and the Odyssey has the worst tracking and controllers of the bunch and is built on a platform with a much less convincing future than the Oculus headsets.

But all things being equal, I think there's just as many reasons to recommend the Quest as a dedicated PCVR headset at this point as the other headsets in this price range, depending on what someone's priorities are.