Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

Didn't even RLM said the original Star Wars was more intended for a younger audience /family friendly or something? At no moment they were too graphically violent like the prequels and the new ones. It was just this big space adventure. But then again my parents allowed me to watch Cronenberg movies when I was a child so I never found Star Wars too scary/violent :v:

I can kind of see it, but at the same time it did have some stuff like the bloody severed arm at the cantina, and those burning skeletons of Luke's aunt and uncle. If anything the next two movies moved a bit away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, i loved how the AT-ST felt more like a beast than a machine. Also love that the Galaxy is basically like Afghanistan with tons of military equipment laying around for anyone to scavenge.

Gina Caro was fine, like she's basically any action star of the 80s that looked good shooting guns and kicking peoples asses but sounded silly trying to deliver dialog. Dune was a perfect role for her. Ming-Na Wen's character will be more of the talky type.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

piL posted:

Man, it's going to feel dark when they reveal that baby Yoda is as mentally developed as a 50 year old man and has been using the force to manipulate the Mandalorian the entire time.

Take baby Yoda, go on the lam to desolate planets in hiding; isn't this how Mando got him to begin with? Fitting in with alien kids a tenth his age? Baby Yoda is a cuckoo, a brood parasite adapted to the force. He's adorably building an extra national army of killers.

Dont be confused by his cute demeanor. That baby Yoda grew up surrounded by the chaos of the clone wars. When he was 24 years old, he saw the establishment of the galactic empire and news reports of Jedi betraying the chancellor. As an unregistered force user he went into hiding during the purges that would follow and, through guile and manipulation, was never apprehended. That is a dangerous baby yoda.

The sweet innocent being secretly evil is a sci-fi trope. It would still be fun to watch the show's audience do a headplosion in unison.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Handen posted:

And the pilotless 24-hour photography darkroom AT-ST was an odd choice too for reasons that have already been touched on.

We’ve never seen an AT-ST operating at night before. It makes perfect sense that the cabin with open viewports would be illuminated by red light to preserve the pilot’s night vision. There, I fixed it for you.

Mischievous Mink posted:

I can kind of see it, but at the same time it did have some stuff like the bloody severed arm at the cantina, and those burning skeletons of Luke's aunt and uncle. If anything the next two movies moved a bit away from that.

A terrified screaming Gamorrean was eaten alive on-camera by a fanged monster in front of his horrified friends.

When I was a little kid there was nothing in ANH that made me actually look away like the rancor scenes in RotJ.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
"Episode 4" showed us murdered Jawa bodies being tossed onto a funeral pyre by a robot slave, the protagonists' family getting roasted down to the skeleton level, a drunk rear end in a top hat getting his arm bloodily chopped off by a space wizard, an entire planet getting blown up, a whole lot of rebel fighter pilots getting killed while screaming, and a space ship that could be confused as a small moon along with what may assumed to be a million-plus crew members being absolutely annihilated at the end of this movie made for children.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Ming-Na Wen's character will be more of the talky type.

After having watched her on Agents of Shield for six years, I had to do a double-take at this.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

gizmojumpjet posted:

"Episode 4" showed us murdered Jawa bodies being tossed onto a funeral pyre by a robot slave, the protagonists' family getting roasted down to the skeleton level, a drunk rear end in a top hat getting his arm bloodily chopped off by a space wizard, an entire planet getting blown up, a whole lot of rebel fighter pilots getting killed while screaming, and a space ship that could be confused as a small moon along with what may assumed to be a million-plus crew members being absolutely annihilated at the end of this movie made for children.

Like I said I have Jeff Goldblum vomiting white goo in someone and the scene of the melting mutant doggo from The Fly movies imprinted in my mind, so I guess my child brain decided the Star War things weren't that bad after all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slashrat posted:

After having watched her on Agents of Shield for six years, I had to do a double-take at this.

I'm just saying she's a better actor.

I find it funny how I'm seeing "The first bad episode???" about this one, becauase you know, there's a woman that's shown as strong as the Mandolorian, so therefor it must be the bad one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also directed by a woman.

e: if you ever watch any of the behind the scenes stuff for Agents of Shield you'll see that Ming-Na Wen is nothing like her character in real life. I'm still somewhat disappointed that she's not playing a grown up Sabine.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 1, 2019

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’ve been busy so I’m just watching it now.

Pillboi!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gohmak posted:

Was that obvious or am I special for picking that up too?

It was pretty obvious. The waitress really set the tone that the planet wasn’t anything like he was used to. If she knew anything she would have freely given him the information.

The concept art showed baby Yoda pacifying the space cat, but it’s not shown in the actual show.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I’ve been busy so I’m just watching it now.

Pillboi!

I was wondering where I recognized the guy who looked like a window licker

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

twistedmentat posted:

I find it funny how I'm seeing "The first bad episode???" about this one, becauase you know, there's a woman that's shown as strong as the Mandolorian, so therefor it must be the bad one.

:rolleyes: "You don't like something featuring someone different than you, therefore you must hate women/race" is such a tired argument. It was a weak episode compared to the first 3, and it was more the writing than acting or directing. Not bad by any means, just kind of plodded along like filler before the next big act (presumably about finding out the baby's origins/dealing with the Imperials). And if anything it was pretty anti-woman power having the mom fall in love with a masked stranger immediately upon him rescuing them and want him to stay and keep her safe, even though she's a better shot than everyone else in the village combined. Total sum it doesn't really add anything to the story, he's still in the same spot he was at the beginning with zero character growth.

That said, I still love this show and have watched every episode at least twice because it's awesome

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

giant amazon lady absolutely mulching dudes is some emmy level acting

I also like it when the man with no face shoots people, but it's not quite as cool

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 1, 2019

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Re: How fobs work;

The opening of ANH has a scene where the imperials avoid firing at an escape pod because "there are no life-forms on board". This establishes that a technology exists to passively detect life-forms at a distance without the need for any emitter / reciever on the target.
It seems reasonable that whatever signature these sensors are detecting would be found unique to an individual. Once scanned, it can be coded into anything. Hence: tracking fobs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The episode was arguably the weakest, but it was still delightful. I think it's hard to judge in isolation since the first 3 made a single plot arc and it seems like he'll be sticking around with Cara Dune maybe on the same planet and this is kicking off another.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gently caress you all, Seven Two Samurai In Space is extremely my jam, and this episode pulled it off very well. It's the longest episode since the pilot, and I think the time was well spent. Training montage, friendly non-seedy bar, The Kid being cute, night time sabotage run against the bandits, the almost kaiju-like use of the AT-ST, what's not to love ?

Have a cute thing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Fobs are based on the family life wrist stuff from the Ewok Adventure movies right?

Raiders felt a lot like the pirates from the second movie too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pez posted:

:rolleyes: "You don't like something featuring someone different than you, therefore you must hate women/race" is such a tired argument.
It isn't, because people absolutely do that, but nobody said that anyway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why didn't they just sneak up on the ATST and blow it up instead of blowing something up to get its attention to lure to a trap to then blow it up?.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It isn't, because people absolutely do that, but nobody said that anyway.

Except the post I quoted did exactly that. Also there's a difference in someone saying "this was a weak episode" and someone saying "women can't be good directors", so no need to confuse the two and cause more pointless hate in the world

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pez posted:

Except the post I quoted did exactly that. Also there's a difference in someone saying "this was a weak episode" and someone saying "women can't be good directors", so no need to confuse the two and cause more pointless hate in the world

Difference between "weak" and "bad". Weak means isn't as good as the others, bad means, well bad. And it was coming from the Chudosphere anyways, channels with lots of "why Rey is a mary sue" and "Kathleen Kennedy has destroyed star wars!!!!" style videos, who haven't mentioned the Mandolorian before this episode.

That poo poo is suspicious.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

e: if you ever watch any of the behind the scenes stuff for Agents of Shield you'll see that Ming-Na Wen is nothing like her character in real life. I'm still somewhat disappointed that she's not playing a grown up Sabine.

It's funny how she's this goofy nerd that's played a long stretch of serious/stoic characters. But she's pretty great at action roles too so we should see good fight scenes whatever her character has to say.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I read all the arguments against this particular episode and I just can’t see them. I felt this was great, but maybe it’s because this kind of stuff is right up my alley and I’m looking through rose coloured visor in the helmet I never take off. Each episode felt like a home run to me so far.

happyhippy posted:

Why didn't they just sneak up on the ATST and blow it up instead of blowing something up to get its attention to lure to a trap to then blow it up?.

Because the episode would have been 20 minutes too short

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 1, 2019

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

happyhippy posted:

It could see too well to be snuck up on. Did you not see it's sinister red eyes and searchlight?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Sneaking around the raider camp in the forest hoping to stumble across the parked AS-ST before getting caught is higher risk than just blowing up the first convenient thing and letting the walker come to you.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

twistedmentat posted:

Gina Caro was fine, like she's basically any action star of the 80s that looked good shooting guns and kicking peoples asses but sounded silly trying to deliver dialog. Dune was a perfect role for her. Ming-Na Wen's character will be more of the talky type.

...true, but she also acts more wooden than a guy who is just a helmet, which makes it stand out even more.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Carano was good in that action movie haywire. it was almost all action, so low workload but she's got some good physical acting and decent facial expressions (idk what that's called, emoting?)

She's not great standing still and talking.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pez posted:

If you don't see the difference between what happened, and what you're saying happened, I really don't know how to continue this conversation.

Like, Rey's a mary sue for knowing the force despite not being trained, but nobody gives a poo poo that a literal baby is a force master in this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

In 80s action hero tradition Gina Caro was definitely cast because of how buff she is and acting ability was a secondary concern. It was necessary to sell the idea that an unarmored female human could take Mando in a fight though. And even then it felt a little off

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just wish some of them would have flinched and shaken their hand after punching a blaster proof helmet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

I just wish some of them would have flinched and shaken their hand after punching a blaster proof helmet.

Yeah they said it was the hardest material in the galaxy and she was hitting it basically bareknuckled

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Mando and Cara weren't planning on sticking around, which is why they trained the village to fight in the first place. They maybe could have taken the AT-ST down on their own, but that wouldn't have helped the village if the raiders retaliated after they were gone. Showing both the raiders and the villagers that they weren't defenseless was more important for their long-term safety than just blowing up a walker.

That being said, it would have been nice if one of the featured villagers was the one to finish it off (like maybe the crack-shot widow could shoot the bomb after it fails to arm properly), rather than Mando and Cara doing all the work anyway.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah they said it was the hardest material in the galaxy and she was hitting it basically bareknuckled

One of the Klatooinians also hits Mando in the helmet with their bare fist later on.

Anyway, this is a universe with space wizards and cute 50 year old babies, everything can happen and who gives a gently caress.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

At least it rings his bell but people punching things and going ‘ow gently caress’ is pure comedy potential squandered. When I mentioned it while watching by the time my wife started to comment Gina had suplexed him or something and she just said ‘at this point does it matter?’ and I felt rightfully shamed.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

withak posted:

Sneaking around the raider camp in the forest hoping to stumble across the parked AS-ST before getting caught is higher risk than just blowing up the first convenient thing and letting the walker come to you.

A rebel special forces commando and a bounty hunter are fairly low on the list of people likely to get caught wandering in the dark.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

mllaneza posted:

gently caress you all, Seven Two Samurai In Space is extremely my jam, and this episode pulled it off very well. It's the longest episode since the pilot, and I think the time was well spent. Training montage, friendly non-seedy bar, The Kid being cute, night time sabotage run against the bandits, the almost kaiju-like use of the AT-ST, what's not to love ?

Have a cute thing.

Needs half a space frog in its mouth

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Carano was good in that action movie haywire. it was almost all action, so low workload but she's got some good physical acting and decent facial expressions (idk what that's called, emoting?)

She's not great standing still and talking.

i own haywire and legit love her in that movie. You see her thinking, second guessing herself. Her physicality is her strength as an actor and it came across there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Carano’s voice was ADR’d by a different actress in Haywire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DurosKlav posted:

A rebel special forces commando and a bounty hunter are fairly low on the list of people likely to get caught wandering in the dark.

Shock troopers are renowned for their guile and stealth.