Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Applebees Appetizer posted:

One thing about EVs that I'm kind of apprehensive about is because they are still such a new thing that it's an excuse for shops to rake people over the coals for repairs. Having an EV out of warranty could get pretty loving expensive if batteries and anything in the drivetrain needs to be repaired or replaced.

Absolutely. Our local Chevy dealership said the labor rate for their Bolt and Volt certified technician was $200/hr and they are needed to work on any part of the car, including like the infotainment system or the dash or whatever. Not sure how accurate that was because we were talking to sales, but I'd believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

Absolutely. Our local Chevy dealership said the labor rate for their Bolt and Volt certified technician was $200/hr and they are needed to work on any part of the car, including like the infotainment system or the dash or whatever. Not sure how accurate that was because we were talking to sales, but I'd believe it.

My local GM dealer told me different. They are not Bolt/Volt certified but said they can work on any part of the car that doesn't require having to touch the HV system.

And in fact I've taken my Volt there twice for warranty work.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
AFAIK in france thats the general rule: gotta be EV certified to touch anything related to the HV components but the rest is a-ok. Depends on the shops I guess.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's an issue where the regen doesn't work either, complete power assist failure. The parts alone to fix it are over $2k.

One thing about EVs that I'm kind of apprehensive about is because they are still such a new thing that it's an excuse for shops to rake people over the coals for repairs. Having an EV out of warranty could get pretty loving expensive if batteries and anything in the drivetrain needs to be repaired or replaced.

I'm not generally disagreeing with you, but since when did a dealership need an excuse to rake people over the coals? Every experience I've had with a mechanic shop or dealership is they'll take you for what they can. I will add some anecdotal evidence that my Spark EV wouldn't start one day randomly. Towing was covered, not sure if it was OnStar membership or extended warranty, and then it was $100 deductible to get it fixed. It was an electrical part not a typical part. Technically with less maintenance required compared to an ice vehicle, you could end up saving in the long run. Take that for what it's worth.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 1, 2019

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So, I think electric cars are the perfect place to read. I used to like to get breakfast on the weekends then drive somewhere and read and drink coffee.

EVs have the advantages of cars in general (comfy seats, music, parking somewhere with a nice view)

However you don't really have to worry about running down the battery of loving up your engine from leaving it in idle for 2 hours.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
For maintenance, I have the LEAF and ended up buying the extended warranty from Nissan Santa Rosa just to not have to worry about it. It's the same plan any other dealer would sell you with the car, but you can buy it for several hundred less after the fact so long as the car is in warranty.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I did some research, but it's really hard to collate the data. The 8kWh/gallon value seems to be an "accepted industry average" but the work to put it together is beyond a hobbyist statistician.

Yeah, I did research a while ago, and just did some now, and it seems this exact number is pretty low-confidence. Not that it isn't true, or even higher, but that there's limited data released by the refineries, and I guess DOE doesn't do this anymore? Before I had heard 90% efficiency, but it seems like the DOE number is ~80%, which seems more realistic. Honestly though, I feel like the emission numbers seem much more 'all -in' for ev's and their batteries and their charging power than ICE cars, which seem to have gaps all sorts of 'transport, refining, and sourcing' metrics which would seem to potentially hide many inefficiencies.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Took my first "long range" drive in the Bolt for the Holiday. It was only ~230 miles or so, but I did stop at a level 3 electrify america charger at a Walmart before the final bit of the trip. One of the chargers wasn't working, but the other three seemed to be. Charging was fine after starting, and when I came back to the car I was surprised to see a Spark EV at one of the other chargers. It was certainly less convenient than an ICE vehicle, but the charging situation and speeds will only improve, so I'm more convinced of the EV future than I was when I bought the car.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Genderfluent posted:

Took my first "long range" drive in the Bolt for the Holiday. It was only ~230 miles or so, but I did stop at a level 3 electrify america charger at a Walmart before the final bit of the trip. One of the chargers wasn't working, but the other three seemed to be. Charging was fine after starting, and when I came back to the car I was surprised to see a Spark EV at one of the other chargers. It was certainly less convenient than an ICE vehicle, but the charging situation and speeds will only improve, so I'm more convinced of the EV future than I was when I bought the car.

We also did our first EV road trip, about 200 miles each way in my S/O's Bolt EV! We left with like 60-70% battery, drove about 70 miles, fast charged to 80% at EVGO while eating Del Taco. We drove the other ~130ish and it was cold as poo poo, we couldn't really afford to run the heater much. I guess pro tip, bring foot warmers that plug in to a 12V or USB outlet or a blanket. The heated seats were a lifesaver though. We arrived in a charging desert with one CCS fast charger to the entire town, which caps out at 19 kWh but it's free and solar powered so I have no complaints about it. We arrived with about 30 miles and put about 10 miles on it and then went to my parents house for the weekend. We went back to the fast charger and it was occupied, so we plugged in to a free level two for about two and a half hours and picked up some decent range. My parents are on CARE and run a home business, so we cannot charge at their house unfortunately.

Before leaving, we went back to that free CCS for an hour and a half to charge from about 30% to 70% while listening to podcasts. We pulled up and there was an i3 charging past 80% to top off, and he kindly moved his car when he realized we were waiting for the CCS. We made sure to leave earlier in the day to avoid the cold temperatures (about an hour of the leg is middle of nowhere back roads where you might get eaten by undead farmhands or picked off by coyotes). We made it back to an EVGO with about 20 miles left, and one was thankfully unoccupied. A Kia Niro pulled up just after us and the poor couple had no end of trouble trying to get it to start level two while they waited for a Soul EV next to us to finish charging (they didn't leave until almost 85%). After that it was pretty much a straight shot home, and we arrived with about 35 miles.

Overall added two hours to our four hour trip, for approximately six. A major part would have been cut down if we had been able to charge at my parents' house. Until the infrastructure improves, that just cements my desire for a Tesla after my Volt lease is up, since they have over a dozen v2 Superchargers in town next to the level 2s we used.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That added 50% to your travel time, ugh.

When I did my trek home from the North, I spent about 4 hours charging on a 29 hour total drive (1200 miles).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

North America just doesn't have the non-Tesla fast charger network yet, perhaps that'll change by the time the VW I.D. 4 comes out.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im wondering if Ford is gonna put any effort into charging infra since they seem a bit more gung ho on electric vehicles compared to the other domestic brands.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SerCypher posted:

So, I think electric cars are the perfect place to read. I used to like to get breakfast on the weekends then drive somewhere and read and drink coffee.

EVs have the advantages of cars in general (comfy seats, music, parking somewhere with a nice view)

However you don't really have to worry about running down the battery of loving up your engine from leaving it in idle for 2 hours.

Are you being facetious about leaving your car idling for 2 hours?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Wibla posted:

That added 50% to your travel time, ugh.

Yeah, I think in the colder months we'll stick to the Volt for visiting family until there's an EA or EVGO where my family lives. We can usually charge a little at their place, but during Christmas time they run really close to their usage limit.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Im wondering if Ford is gonna put any effort into charging infra since they seem a bit more gung ho on electric vehicles compared to the other domestic brands.

Given their partnership with Volkswagen I wouldn't be surprised if they dump a few bucks into Electrify America. They're going to let you use your car app to authorize charging at Greenlots and Electrify America so it seems inevitable.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Red_Fred posted:

Do you turn off your cell phone/tablet/laptop whenever you aren't using it, or do you let it "idle"? This is the future man, we ALWAYS on!

All jokes aside, I live in AZ and its been great just leaving AC on often.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

OldPueblo posted:

Do you turn off your cell phone/tablet/laptop whenever you aren't using it, or do you let it "idle"? This is the future man, we ALWAYS on!

All jokes aside, I live in AZ and its been great just leaving AC on often.

The UK recently introduced a fining system for people who unnecessarily leave their vehicles idling.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

The UK recently introduced a fining system for people who unnecessarily leave their vehicles idling.

That's just it, Electric vehicles don't "idle", hence the joke. I'd be very surprised if this applies to electric vehicles since the intent is to curb emissions.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Why would I be? I liked to sit in my car and read... I'd not keep it idling the whole time, but if I'm running the A/C and the music I would kick it on for 15 minutes every half hour or so.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 2, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Westy543 posted:

We also did our first EV road trip, about 200 miles each way in my S/O's Bolt EV! We left with like 60-70% battery, drove about 70 miles, fast charged to 80% at EVGO while eating Del Taco. We drove the other ~130ish and it was cold as poo poo, we couldn't really afford to run the heater much. I guess pro tip, bring foot warmers that plug in to a 12V or USB outlet or a blanket. The heated seats were a lifesaver though. We arrived in a charging desert with one CCS fast charger to the entire town, which caps out at 19 kWh but it's free and solar powered so I have no complaints about it. We arrived with about 30 miles and put about 10 miles on it and then went to my parents house for the weekend. We went back to the fast charger and it was occupied, so we plugged in to a free level two for about two and a half hours and picked up some decent range. My parents are on CARE and run a home business, so we cannot charge at their house unfortunately.

Before leaving, we went back to that free CCS for an hour and a half to charge from about 30% to 70% while listening to podcasts. We pulled up and there was an i3 charging past 80% to top off, and he kindly moved his car when he realized we were waiting for the CCS. We made sure to leave earlier in the day to avoid the cold temperatures (about an hour of the leg is middle of nowhere back roads where you might get eaten by undead farmhands or picked off by coyotes). We made it back to an EVGO with about 20 miles left, and one was thankfully unoccupied. A Kia Niro pulled up just after us and the poor couple had no end of trouble trying to get it to start level two while they waited for a Soul EV next to us to finish charging (they didn't leave until almost 85%). After that it was pretty much a straight shot home, and we arrived with about 35 miles.

Overall added two hours to our four hour trip, for approximately six. A major part would have been cut down if we had been able to charge at my parents' house. Until the infrastructure improves, that just cements my desire for a Tesla after my Volt lease is up, since they have over a dozen v2 Superchargers in town next to the level 2s we used.
I guess when people say EVs aren't quite ready yet, this is what they mean. Yikes.

SerCypher posted:

Why would I be? I liked to sit in my car and read... I'd not keep it idling the whole time, but if I'm running the A/C and the music I would kick it on for 15 minutes every half hour or so.
You know you can read anywhere else too, right? Like at home or in the office bathroom?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess when people say EVs aren't quite ready yet, this is what they mean. Yikes.

I've done normally 4 hour trips in my 2014 Leaf, but I only had a charging queue when I drove home right after Xmas. This is in Norway, though, which has decent charging infrastructure. So EVs are ready, they just require some infrastructure. Which often becomes a chicken and egg problem, where nobody is buying electric because of poor infrastructure and nobody is building the infrastructure because there's no demand.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

You know you can read anywhere else too, right? Like at home or in the office bathroom?

You should see how many industries have vehicles idling all day long.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should see how many industries have vehicles idling all day long.

It’s funny because I live in a city with strong anti idling fines but you see cop cars idling all the drat time. Mostly to keep the flashers going.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Going along with idle chat.. (ha!)

Why do people with diesels always leave them idling...

Around here people with the stupid big bro-trucks will leave them running in the parking lot when they go in somewhere. I see it all the time and have always wondered why...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've known a few people who're mechanics that believe idling an engine for a few minutes consumes less fuel than stopping/starting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've known a few people who're mechanics that believe idling an engine for a few minutes consumes less fuel than stopping/starting.

I think that is true with carburetor (old) gas engines and maybe older diesels but not fuel injected. All the stop/start features new cars would be pretty dumb otherwise!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That used to be true with carburetted engines. Not true with modern efi.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I figured..

I work in a industry where is not uncommon for the store to have a parking lot full of F150/350s. Customers will often leave the diesels idling while in the store, sometimes 20+ minutes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

I could see that there's no benefit to killing the carburetted engine at a stop light but there's no way leaving it running at a grocery store would save fuel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stevewm posted:

Going along with idle chat.. (ha!)

Why do people with diesels always leave them idling...

Around here people with the stupid big bro-trucks will leave them running in the parking lot when they go in somewhere. I see it all the time and have always wondered why...

In the winter people do leave vehicles idling, particularly diesels, to avoid fuel gelling issues.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Ugh, my first baby step into EV ownership is not going well. 6000 miles (and I just washed it this weekend :argh:). Goes to the body shop for estimates tomorrow. The driver side rear quarter panel is pushed out towards the door. The gap between the door is now uneven and the body panel sits slightly higher than the door.

Anyone want to guess the estimate?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

stevewm posted:

I figured..

I work in a industry where is not uncommon for the store to have a parking lot full of F150/350s. Customers will often leave the diesels idling while in the store, sometimes 20+ minutes.

When people do this and park in front of the grocery store instead of in an actual parking spot I always have to fight the urge to move their car into a parking spot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kastivich posted:

Ugh, my first baby step into EV ownership is not going well. 6000 miles (and I just washed it this weekend :argh:). Goes to the body shop for estimates tomorrow. The driver side rear quarter panel is pushed out towards the door. The gap between the door is now uneven and the body panel sits slightly higher than the door.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

I was thinking something like 2x that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It all depends on part prices really, I don’t think there are a lot of used OEM parts for a Clarity floating around, and your car is new enough that aftermarket parts shouldn’t be included on the estimate. I’ve seen bumper covers from a few hundred to thousands.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I could see that there's no benefit to killing the carburetted engine at a stop light but there's no way leaving it running at a grocery store would save fuel.

I have a vague recollection of somebody actually looking into it many years ago, maybe a Car and Driver article, and the conclusion was that the break-even point was about 2 1/2 minutes.

Carbs pump a lot of fuel on startup that just gets blown out the tailpipe unburned. Computer-controlled fuel injection wastes essentially none.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

really early efi as well, as they'd typically run the rich "cold startup" program for a minute or so every time the engine was started.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If engineering explained youtube is to be believed it's 7 seconds worth of fuel used on engine startup. Which I do believe

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It all depends on part prices really, I don’t think there are a lot of used OEM parts for a Clarity floating around, and your car is new enough that aftermarket parts shouldn’t be included on the estimate. I’ve seen bumper covers from a few hundred to thousands.

Not to mention any sensors behind that bumper cover - I had dramas getting my car fixed after similar damage because it needed new blind spot sensors which needed to be calibrated at the dealership.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Kastivich posted:

The parts site for Honda of Lisle (which has some fantastic pricing) has the parts it looks like you need:
Trunk Lid (68500-TRT-A90ZZ): $467.50
Rear bumper(04715-TRT-A90ZZ): $299.70
Rear bumper Garnish (71509-TRV-A01): $48.49
Rear beam (71531-TRT-A00): $409.98
Quarter Panel (04646-TRV-A00ZZ): $384.81
Clarity Emblem (75722-TRT-003): $29.87
Plugin Emblem (75723-TRW-003): $35.96
Touring Emblem(75716-TRW-003): $18.75
Total: $1695.06

At least that's what I can see in the picture, and assuming the collision was hard enough to damage the beam. Plus tax, various screws and clips that are probably broken, paint, and labor I think $5500-$6000 or so would be a pretty good deal. If you're handy, have another car to drive around, and have a place to work on it you could probably take the body panels to a shop to be painted and replace everything yourself for a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I will post estimates tomorrow when the come in. I hope they can straighten that rear quarter panel because that door gap is going to annoy me every time I see it. Parts are actually cheaper than I expected for some reason, although that was based on no real knowledge.