Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gripweed posted:

I read Captain America Corps. The idea of the Avengers collapsing early on and a fascist superhero team taking their place and that steering the future of America is really neat. Unfortunately Captain America Corps has basically zero interest in actually exploring it. And the comic is bogged down by it's needlessly complicated explanation of how the time travel/reality hopping to make that happen and put the Corps together happened. Captain America Corps isn't very good, and it would be completely unmemorable except for thing. It introduced me to my new favorite super villain, Superia.

When is Superia gonna be in a movie? The fans demand Superia!

It's still a better 'a bunch of different versions/incarnations of the same hero team up' story than Dan Slott's Spider-Verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Oh hey I finished another trade from the stack today. Vampblade: Powered Up. First off, what the gently caress is going on at Action Lab Comics? It turns out I got the second volume of a Vampblade ongoing. I didn't realize that when I bought it because there's no number 2 on the spine. Put the drat number on the spine! How hard is that? It also turns out that this trade was literally just four issues cut into separate pages and then bound together. Like, the back covers of all four issues with the bar codes are included. And all the ads for other Action Lab Comics at the end of each issue. I already read Voracious, it sucked, I don't need to see ads for it four times while I'm trying to read Vampblade.

Action Lab is a complete joke of a publisher.

As for the comic itself, eh. It's not the worst thing I've ever read. There's a really annoying comic book conversation that's clearly just the writer opining. I thought "Mom: Space Knight" was cute. And a couple of the fights weren't bad. But I'm not going to run out and buy more Vampblade.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Princeless is supposed to be generally well-regarded by people looking for comics to pass on to young kids and Jeremy Whitley has done some good stuff but other than I've never seen or heard of anything at all compelling coming out of Action Lab.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Before the end of that decade, one of those characters will be an Avenger, though with a much better costume.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I had an idea for an Avengers run that would involve a sizable chunk of the team being former villains, among them would be finally fixing that bullshit about Sandman getting turned into a villain again

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I had an idea for an Avengers run that would involve a sizable chunk of the team being former villains, among them would be finally fixing that bullshit about Sandman getting turned into a villain again

There's a history of that, what with "Cap's Kooky Quartet" (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver), plus Songbird. I'm a real sucker for villains reforming and seeking redemption. Still hoping the MCU does something cool with Zemo, Ghost, and even Vulture to redeem them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

I think Princeless is supposed to be generally well-regarded by people looking for comics to pass on to young kids and Jeremy Whitley has done some good stuff but other than I've never seen or heard of anything at all compelling coming out of Action Lab.

Tbh i havent actually read princeless itself, but the spinoff raven the pirate princess is literally about pirate ship full of lesbians. Its amazing

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

IUG posted:

Piracy is what got me into buying physical comics in the first place. I heard about Civil War, and thought it was interesting for Captain America to say no to the government. My last comics before that were the adaptations of the '92 X-Men cartoon. I read that whole series and the spinoffs illegally. I really liked this character called "Deadpool" from the Cable & Deadpool tie-in, and went out and bought those issues. Then I bought Deadpool's first appearance for like $10 bucks. Eventually I tracked down and bought the Civil War books and main tie-ins. Now I'm buying probably around $100-200 a month from my shop.

I also became a comics fan because of the pirated books I read, but let's not pretend that pirating content is a good thing. It is the least of the problems in the current industry, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gripweed posted:

I read Captain America Corps. The idea of the Avengers collapsing early on and a fascist superhero team taking their place and that steering the future of America is really neat. Unfortunately Captain America Corps has basically zero interest in actually exploring it. And the comic is bogged down by it's needlessly complicated explanation of how the time travel/reality hopping to make that happen and put the Corps together happened. Captain America Corps isn't very good, and it would be completely unmemorable except for thing. It introduced me to my new favorite super villain, Superia.

It's disturbing that Marvel was still doing "feminist character is just a supervillain trying to Destroy All Men" stories as late as the '90s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's disturbing that Marvel was still doing "feminist character is just a supervillain trying to Destroy All Men" stories as late as the '90s.

It's not one of Gruenwald's better stories. To put it mildly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gruenwald kept going back to that well, too. He did like 3-4 storylines about crazed feminist straw-women villains attacking Cap and the Avengers. Cap even briefly had a sidekick who was a recovering brainwashed minion of Superia, so she'd be like "I hate these men!!!! But Cap showed me that not all men are bad, just the villains, but I'm still a misandrist internally!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Harley Quinn show looks good

https://twitter.com/magicbIazer/status/1200930920997384192?s=20

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not one of Gruenwald's better stories. To put it mildly.

I think it's the worst part of his run by far-- a lot of the other notoriously bad arcs are at least campy fun, like the werewolf stuff or the thing where Baron Zemo marries his dad (although now that I think about it that arc also features some of Gruenwald's weirdly nasty anti-feminist streak via Free Spirit and more Superia stuff).

Edit: I always accidentally give Superia too much credit as a character by calling her Suspiria.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

the thing where Baron Zemo marries his dad

ahahahaha what? I absolutely do not remember this. I can't remember when I fell off of Gruenwald's Cap run, but I'm pretty sure it was a point at which I realized "oh, man, they're really determined to stick with Rik Levins." I was overly willing to ride out a weak link in the creative chain if there was a creator and/or character I was really fond of, but... yeesh, man.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

ahahahaha what? I absolutely do not remember this. I can't remember when I fell off of Gruenwald's Cap run, but I'm pretty sure it was a point at which I realized "oh, man, they're really determined to stick with Rik Levins." I was overly willing to ride out a weak link in the creative chain if there was a creator and/or character I was really fond of, but... yeesh, man.

Captain America #431-434, which also features the debut of Jack Flag, the guy with the laser-shooting boombox. It's a follow-up to the 1992 OGN Spider-Man: Fear Itself in which Baron Zemo the elder resurrects himself in a female body. Well, she's back, and this time she's married to her son.

To be fair Gruenwald does half-heartedly try to retcon the Baroness into only pretending to be the original Zemo, but in a way that doesn't make much sense. Let's face the facts. Two Baron Zemos got married.

Edit: The second scan is from Fear Itself, that "lovely, exotic female" line is all Conway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is this like a case of "opps, didn't look into who the character really was, just thought it was a female Baron Zemo, and didn't realize I had someone marry their dad"? Like how Donna Troy came to be?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Covok posted:

Is this like a case of "opps, didn't look into who the character really was, just thought it was a female Baron Zemo, and didn't realize I had someone marry their dad"? Like how Donna Troy came to be?

Not really, I think if anyone would know their Zemos it would be Gruenwald. He has the Baroness say early on in the plot that she was just lying about being a reincarnation of Heinrich, which doesn't make much sense because in the OGN she had chosen to be reborn as a woman precisely so that nobody would know who she was. I think Gruenwald was just burnt out and liked the plot idea of a Zemo family-- there's a whole separate thread about him kidnapping children from abusive homes and dressing them up in kid-sized Zemo costumes-- and for whatever reason really just wanted to use a pre-existing character instead of creating a very similar new one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduchess posted:

Not really, I think if anyone would know their Zemos it would be Gruenwald. He has the Baroness say early on in the plot that she was just lying about being a reincarnation of Heinrich, which doesn't make much sense because in the OGN she had chosen to be reborn as a woman precisely so that nobody would know who she was. I think Gruenwald was just burnt out and liked the plot idea of a Zemo family-- there's a whole separate thread about him kidnapping children from abusive homes and dressing them up in kid-sized Zemo costumes-- and for whatever reason really just wanted to use a pre-existing character instead of creating a very similar new one.

I see two crimes here. The kidnapping......and Cap's costume. Am I right? Am I right?!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Madkal posted:

I see two crimes here. The kidnapping......and Cap's costume. Am I right? Am I right?!

I mean the kidnapping is extra weird because Zemo points out that all the kids were taken from abusive or neglectful homes, and then at the end of the story Cap is just like "ok great, now you can all go back to your lovely homes, you're welcome."

I do kind of admire that at this point his big new 90s revamp is mostly just tacking new detritus onto his existing costume although IIRC he gets a more radical overhaul shortly after this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was early in the FIGHTING CHANCE arc. The serum was breaking down so Cap's enhancements were fading and he was fated to die yadda yadda yadda get to the good poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Archyduchess posted:

I do kind of admire that at this point his big new 90s revamp is mostly just tacking new detritus onto his existing costume although IIRC he gets a more radical overhaul shortly after this.
D...does he have wrist-strapped forearm pouches???

:v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

It's amazing that he can have dozens of pouches and still the most offensive thing about his costume are the shoulder pads.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

No, as far as I can tell he just has straps on his arms that don't do anything.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Rob Liefield is to pouches as Testuya Norma is to belts and zippers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

I think Gruenwald was just burnt out and liked the plot idea of a Zemo family-- there's a whole separate thread about him kidnapping children from abusive homes and dressing them up in kid-sized Zemo costumes-- and for whatever reason really just wanted to use a pre-existing character instead of creating a very similar new one.
Gruenwald wrote a lot of shop-talk columns and his vision of a shared universe was that basically you should never create a new character where an existing character could fit the bill. It's a nice enough idea in theory, but in practice it led to a lot of narrative backflips in the work of Gruenwald and a lot of other writers of this era; just because you don't want forty characters with ice powers to exist doesn't mean that either of the two ice-powered criminals currently unaccounted for will fit well into the story you're trying to write.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It also led to a lot of reformed villains un-reforming with no explanation and characters rising from the dead. Even just his use of Zemo Jr. often clashed with what other writers, usually JM Dematteis, were doing with him. The famous Attack on Avengers Mansion storyline came just a few months after Helmut died trying to stop Red Skull after realizing his quest for vengeance was misguided, for example.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Archyduchess posted:

Captain America #431-434, which also features the debut of Jack Flag, the guy with the laser-shooting boombox. It's a follow-up to the 1992 OGN Spider-Man: Fear Itself in which Baron Zemo the elder resurrects himself in a female body. Well, she's back, and this time she's married to her son.

To be fair Gruenwald does half-heartedly try to retcon the Baroness into only pretending to be the original Zemo, but in a way that doesn't make much sense. Let's face the facts. Two Baron Zemos got married.

Edit: The second scan is from Fear Itself, that "lovely, exotic female" line is all Conway.

Jack flagg and american eagle are both very good characters.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Every one in a while I'll remember that Jack Flagg was a Guardian of the Galaxy. What a world.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Gruenwald wrote a lot of shop-talk columns and his vision of a shared universe was that basically you should never create a new character where an existing character could fit the bill. It's a nice enough idea in theory, but in practice it led to a lot of narrative backflips in the work of Gruenwald and a lot of other writers of this era; just because you don't want forty characters with ice powers to exist doesn't mean that either of the two ice-powered criminals currently unaccounted for will fit well into the story you're trying to write.

I wonder how many of the new characters he did create-- especially around 1993 or so on where it began to feel like he was really alienated from Marvel and some of his stuff took on kind of a more rueful edge-- were editorially mandated? Like this arc introduced not only Jack Flagg but also Free Spirit and I don't think either of them turned out to be worth not just creating another Baroness Zemo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the preview of Green Lantern: Blackstars #2 just came out and man Morrison is delivering what's probably the most savage burn on modern comics I've ever seen that doesn't descend into "Old Man Yells At Cloud" levels(probably helps that he's definitely including himself as a target here as well)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I love comics about comics.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Every one in a while I'll remember that Jack Flagg was a Guardian of the Galaxy. What a world.

His arc from thunderbolts to guardians was very good.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

So the preview of Green Lantern: Blackstars #2 just came out and man Morrison is delivering what's probably the most savage burn on modern comics I've ever seen that doesn't descend into "Old Man Yells At Cloud" levels(probably helps that he's definitely including himself as a target here as well)

Can you give an example? I don't like Morrison's GL so I'm not reading Blackstars, but this sounds interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MaggieMaeFish/status/1201744920450494470?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The Robert Pattinson Batman is going to be the first good Batman movie

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1201653064572141568?s=20

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Archyduchess posted:

They keep his gloves from sliding off of his hands!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're like Superboy's thigh belts! Form over function!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

They're like Superboy's thigh belts! Form over function!

those are called garters

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

those are called garters

They're not holding anything up and there's two on one leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

They are clearly holding the white...things...on his gloves.