Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

I want a Spidey/Bats team up where Spidey does this and Bats just begrudgingly goes along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd very much enjoy a story where someone has Batman at their mercy, a fiendishly devilish plot, and they unleash their ultimate weapon. Holy water.

After which, of course, Batman punches them in the face.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Don't forget hot Garth Ennis villain, The Thousand. Which is literally a thousand spiders that can wear people like a skin suit.

You know, that story is undeniably gross, and is too dark by half for a 21st-century Spider-Man story, but it really does have a surprisingly good bit for Peter.

"All I want is to do a little bit of good. Let's go."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

You know, that story is undeniably gross, and is too dark by half for a 21st-century Spider-Man story, but it really does have a surprisingly good bit for Peter.

"All I want is to do a little bit of good. Let's go."

Garth Ennis' eternal shame is that he actually likes superheroes and understands what makes them tick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my guilty pleasures is that I still think the comic where Punisher uses an unconscious Spider-Man as a human shield while fighting a giant meta-human is funny. It ends with a dazed Spider-Man waking up and asking what happened, and Frank going,"We had a team-up. You were great." :allears:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Outer Darkness

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So they made Satan an engine?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's easy to be an rear end in a top hat to something in a cage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's easy to be an rear end in a top hat to something in a cage.

He was also an rear end in a top hat to those guys he met on the way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ImpAtom posted:

I'd very much enjoy a story where someone has Batman at their mercy, a fiendishly devilish plot, and they unleash their ultimate weapon. Holy water.

Theres a Astro City story (Confession) that sorta kinda does this a bit. The story is about astro citys not-batman (Tthe Confessor") and not-robin ("Altar boy", our viewpoint character). It turns out that the confessor is in fact a vampire, and there is a whole thing where it is revealed publicly. Then at the end the 100% human Altar Boy takes over as the new Confessor, but all the villains assume hes the original and are throwing holy water at him and are covered in cruxifixes and so on, none of which have any effect. its not the focus of the story really, but its at least what-you-want adjacent.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Theres a Astro City story (Confession) that sorta kinda does this a bit. The story is about astro citys not-batman (Tthe Confessor") and not-robin ("Altar boy", our viewpoint character). It turns out that the confessor is in fact a vampire, and there is a whole thing where it is revealed publicly. Then at the end the 100% human Altar Boy takes over as the new Confessor, but all the villains assume hes the original and are throwing holy water at him and are covered in cruxifixes and so on, none of which have any effect. its not the focus of the story really, but its at least what-you-want adjacent.

I'm vaguely remembering a batman story where actual vampires think he's a super powerful vampire lord that rules Gotham or something.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ImpAtom posted:

See, this is what Batman loses out on from being such a tightassed stick-in- the-mud. They do that to, I don't know, Ragman maybe? (they're especially ill-informed, I guess), and the dude might stumble around shrieking and gasping before falling down still, giving the punks a moment of glory before rising up saying, "your baubles and trinkets are but a petty obstacle to one of my power. But they have done two things, that is for certain. They have made me angry...and thirsty."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiralty Flag posted:

See, this is what Batman loses out on from being such a tightassed stick-in- the-mud. They do that to, I don't know, Ragman maybe? (they're especially ill-informed, I guess), and the dude might stumble around shrieking and gasping before falling down still, giving the punks a moment of glory before rising up saying, "your baubles and trinkets are but a petty obstacle to one of my power. But they have done two things, that is for certain. They have made me angry...and thirsty."
I imagine Batman doesn't pull that poo poo because even if he's in armor he doesn't WANT to get shot, while Dracula doesn't give a poo poo.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

Outer Darkness

This is a UAC ship? When does DOOM guy show up?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm vaguely remembering a batman story where actual vampires think he's a super powerful vampire lord that rules Gotham or something.

Scare Tactics.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611347&pagenumber=294&perpage=40#post499287951

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The badass part is how he holds those extremely wide half squats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MH Knights posted:

This is a UAC ship? When does DOOM guy show up?

Its a ship for exploring deep space.

Deep space is haunted.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Superman: Up in the Sky #2 by Tom King

Setup: An unknown individual landed on earth, abducted a little girl, killed her family, and fled to the farthest reaches of the universe. There are no motive, no suspect, and no hope. This looks like a job for Superman. Tom King sends the Boy in Blue on his very own curated Labors of Hercules reading like a love letter to the mythos of Superman. This issue opens with Superman challenged to a boxing match by an invulnerable, super-strong mercenary named Mighto, whose services in delaying, if not stopping the pursuit have been engaged by the kidnapper. If Superman wins, Mighto will tell him what he knows; if not, he gets sent home to Earth, empty-handed. It is not going well, as Mighto outclasses Superman in every relevant physical attribute.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kill Six Billion Demons

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:confused: How does Superman stay super far away from the Sun?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Outer Darkness

This rules.

Reminded me of this trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRT_tRSTqJY

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zetsubou-san posted:

:confused: How does Superman stay super far away from the Sun?

I bet there are tons of yellow stars in the universe; any of them ought to work, right? Although I'm sure there are also lots of red ones out there. :ohdear:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

prefect posted:

I bet there are tons of yellow stars in the universe; any of them ought to work, right? Although I'm sure there are also lots of red ones out there. :ohdear:

Actually, red dwarfs outnumber yellow main sequence stars by a factor of about 100 to 1.

On top of that, of the 63 stars that are within 16 light years of the Solar System, 50 are red dwarfs.

So, if Supes existed in reality, he can only be super in a fairly limited part of the galaxy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's the interesting part.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Actually, red dwarfs outnumber yellow main sequence stars by a factor of about 100 to 1.

On top of that, of the 63 stars that are within 16 light years of the Solar System, 50 are red dwarfs.

So, if Supes existed in reality, he can only be super in a fairly limited part of the galaxy.

Not sure if it is still canon but only red suns take his powers. All the other colors have other effects. Blue and white stars give him even more powers. Apparently the younger the sun, the more power it gives him.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 30, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

badjohny posted:

Not sure if it is still cannon but only red suns take his powers. All the other colors have other effects. Blue and white stars give him even more powers. Apparently the younger the sun, the more power it gives him.

I think that's one of those classic "depends on the writer" things. Like sometimes under a red sun they go with "he's like a battery and is still powered for a while until he burns out" and sometimes it's "put him under a red sun and he's instantly on par with a human"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

badjohny posted:

Not sure if it is still canon but only red suns take his powers. All the other colors have other effects. Blue and white stars give him even more powers. Apparently the younger the sun, the more power it gives him.

Superman likes 'em young. Real young.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

badjohny posted:

The last I saw Superman under a blue sun it was in the Bizarro story by (or at least illustrated by) Eric Powell. There he got Bizarro-vision where anyone he hit with it spawned Bizarros. What else does he (for now, at least) canonically get?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I figured he can soak up a lot of yellow sun magic and be fine for interstellar journeys. Presumably there's some critical mass of red star radiation that displaces the yellow sun magic or else he'd stop being super at night. Probably he has to actually get into planetary orbits or their equivalent.

There's my no-prize, DC!

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Yeah no I've always found the "he's a battery!" explanation to make the most logical sense, as far as any man who gets superpowers from the sun can be considered logical.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also, he'd be getting back up in that ring under any sun you like. Someone needs saving.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Thing already did that whole routine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Elfface posted:

Also, he'd be getting back up in that ring under any sun you like. Someone needs saving.
Well yeah, do good to one another and any man can be a Superman, but you know what we mean.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

The Thing already did that whole routine.

So did Superman, and he was fighting Muhammad Ali instead of some one-off villain

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As did Dial M for Monkey against Macho Man

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its almost as if "too stubborn to give up" is a common hero stereotype :thunk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If superman flies in space between the stellar trajectory of multiple red stars does he stop being able to fly and die from exposure to vacuum

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The corpse carries on in the same direction until he's resurrected by a yellow sun.

On extended journeys Supes thinks he keeps nodding off, when in fact he just keeps dying over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Superman flew through Rao, the red sun of Krypton, in the last issue of Infinite Crisis. It's okay that you don't remember this because nobody should remember Infinite Crisis.