Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HHH is in the same ballpark as Vince Sr except he's still alive to do more, easy choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

gently caress HHH

also somewhat related to the thread, one of my favorite wrestling related things ever on the internet (scroll down a bit on the linked page for the whole thing) :
https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/15429-a-thread-in-which-dylan-compares-various-wrestlers-to-hhh/?page=16

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 30, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I accidentally voted for Vince thinking it was Jr but HHH is far and away ahead anyway

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It was mentioned Double J got a bad draw and originally he wasn't supposed to face Bedlam so it is kind of true. Bix drew my attention to the Thunderbolt testimony WRT this one, and while it isn't from TNA, this is what was said about Terry Taylor before TNA thought it'd be a good idea to hire him... and also get sued for racial discrimination.

Weird!

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200866100273135616

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Fauxhawk Express posted:

gently caress HHH

also somewhat related to the thread, one of my favorite wrestling related things ever on the internet (scroll down a bit on the linked page for the whole thing) :
https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/15429-a-thread-in-which-dylan-compares-various-wrestlers-to-hhh/?page=16

Dylan Waco posted:

Barry Darsow

Darsow might be the most lateral guy to HHH I've seen listed so far. Both guys are pretty boring when left to their own devices, but can turn it up in the right situations against the right guys. Darsow's "right situation" was as a tag worker relying on superior partners to help build the heat of the matches. HHH's "right situation" was against the most over guys in wrestling, at the height of their popularity, milking the moment. I enjoyed the Hogpen match v. Henry Godwin on last watch more than I would have guessed, but it's not as good as the Blacktop Bully v. Dustin King of The Road match. Also not sure HHH has the diversity of facial expressions needed to make the Repo Man gimmick work, though undeserving, sneak, who steals hard earned labor value of better men while they are busy working is a gimmick that better suited HHH. Still I see this as a battle between exact equals.

good poo poo

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Listening to the Monumental Podcast part 2 - I'm pretty sure that Steve Austin might have legal restraints as to what he can and cannot say about his domestic abuse. I forget where I heard or read this, but that might be a reason as to why he doesn't talk about it at all.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That’s a common clause with abuse and sexual assault settlements. See: Peyton Manning

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

There's also the story that Triple H was allowed to sit in on creative meetings during the Booker angle

Hell it seems like he was sitting in on them as far back as 97 since he was buddies with Shawn.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, Vince the older's biggest crime is probably leaving his family when Vince the younger was very young but there is no real way to quantify just how much of an impact it had on Vince jr. even though it's obvious it is the source of at least some brain worms of his.

If I remember correctly he was actually a colossally awful father. Someone with facts please jump in, but I think Vince was raised in foster cared and sexualled abused as a minor, and intentionally left out of the company for several years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“Interviewer: We can leave that topic, but one last thing first. You said that the sexual abuse in your childhood “wasn’t from the male”. It’s well-known that you’re estranged from your mother. Have we found the reason?

Vince: [Pauses, nods] Without saying that, I’d say that’s pretty close”

Yikes

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Blast Fantasto posted:

That’s a common clause with abuse and sexual assault settlements. See: Peyton Manning
Austin has even said so. He was on Wade Keller's call-in show a few years ago, a caller asked about it, and he said something like "look, this isn't the time or the place, but I'm legally restricted from talking about it, regardless."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HHH is by far the worst because he’s so well positioned to fix all the bad poo poo wwe does and seemingly encourages it with bullshit Dana white management playbook garbage.

Vince Sr came from an era they weren’t sure if Irishmen were actually human beings. Or that digging a trench across Europe was a sensible way to go about warfare.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wazzu posted:

If I remember correctly he was actually a colossally awful father. Someone with facts please jump in, but I think Vince was raised in foster cared and sexually abused as a minor, and intentionally left out of the company for several years.

Vince lived with his mother and his stepfather. His stepfather beat him and his mother...

...yeah 'nuff said there. Not that I'm trying to defend Vince Jr., far from it, but it's no wonder he turned out the way he did with the absolutely awful childhood he had.

When Jr. became old enough he left home and became a door-to-door salesman, then eventually went to work for Sr., IIRC.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait I've missed 9 pages of this wtf :negative:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Plenty more scumbags to go around, comrade.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

coconono posted:

HHH is by far the worst because he’s so well positioned to fix all the bad poo poo wwe does and seemingly encourages it with bullshit Dana white management playbook garbage.

Vince Sr came from an era they weren’t sure if Irishmen were actually human beings. Or that digging a trench across Europe was a sensible way to go about warfare.

it's hard to pin down just how much poo poo hhh has done since he habitually dodges responsibility by pointing to vince and shrugging

though this only works because vince himself is such a massive poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201226244370653186

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lagana is a doofus but Grizzly Smith, if you believe the allegations, was an absolute horrorshow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Seams posted:

Lagana is a doofus but Grizzly Smith, if you believe the allegations, was an absolute horrorshow.

Like comparing a horny David Brent to Richard Ramirez

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Lagana also has sexual harassment allegations against him.

Obviously Grizzly is much worse though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I just remember when Lagana first exited the WWE he was the darling of the podcast circuit for a while as someone who was willing to spill the deets.

Then slowly everyone started realising that his ideas sucked poo poo, and it's been all downhill since.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’d put money on Grizzly Smith winning the whole thing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still think it'll be between Mel and Vince JR but Grizzly Smith as I learn more about him sure seems like he should go far

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Underrated hosed up aspect of Grizzly: if you've seen Beyond the Mat, Jake got into the business partly to "be better than he ever was", but I think he also did it to try and earn Grizzly's love and respect. When Jake told him that he was going into the business, Grizzly told him he was gutless and wouldn't amount to anything.

Strangely, Jake says he does love Grizzly on camera, which is incredible, considering what he put Jake and his siblings through.

Oh, and when Grizzly was a wrestler, he didn't smarten his family up, so when he did a stretcher job, Jake and his sister thought he was crippled for life.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Did Grizzly wrestle for the WWWF/WWF? Or what is it that qualifies him for this NY64?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Did Grizzly wrestle for the WWWF/WWF? Or what is it that qualifies him for this NY64?

he was a backstage official for WWF

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Underrated hosed up aspect of Grizzly: if you've seen Beyond the Mat, Jake got into the business partly to "be better than he ever was", but I think he also did it to try and earn Grizzly's love and respect. When Jake told him that he was going into the business, Grizzly told him he was gutless and wouldn't amount to anything.

Strangely, Jake says he does love Grizzly on camera, which is incredible, considering what he put Jake and his siblings through.

Oh, and when Grizzly was a wrestler, he didn't smarten his family up, so when he did a stretcher job, Jake and his sister thought he was crippled for life.

"Family" is a hell of a drug.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChrisBTY posted:

"Family" is a hell of a drug.

For real. No wonder Jake is such a troubled man.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Arguably did more damage to him than the actual drugs. Mainly because "family" was a gateway drug TO the other drugs I'm sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201312101031194629

Everyone is voting for Hogan but I want to call attention to this section from the Flair article on Grantland.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201313702600986624

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Christ this is kind of a mirror match isn't it?
I wanna vote Hogan because his shittiness was more visible but I also want to vote Flair because he should get more 'credit' for the lovely things he did.

And those racial epithets on the sex tape are barely a feather on the scale of this matchup.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 2, 2019

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
If Flair and Hogan are equally lovely outside of the ring, then Hogan is worse for all of his years in the ring and politicking.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

spongeh posted:

If Flair and Hogan are equally lovely outside of the ring, then Hogan is worse for all of his years in the ring and politicking.

That's what I'm leaning yeah.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i wonder which town Flair was referencing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda feel Hogan gets the nod because he was a worse wrestling presence too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Union busting and the stuff with his son's car accident pushes Hogan over the line for me, honestly.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Drew McIntyre posted:

i wonder which town Flair was referencing

I'm guessing it was Charlotte.

Vandar posted:

Union busting and the stuff with his son's car accident pushes Hogan over the line for me, honestly.

Same. Flair is absolutely a piece of poo poo but he's also kind of a tragic figure in a way that Hogan isn't, at least to me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ultimately went Hogan because all other things being equal Hogan empowered Vince.
Flair also seems to have spent his life with undiagnosed neurological issues, ADHD at least and an apparent complete inability to be alone or stop being Ric Flair for two consecutive seconds. (I'm basing this on the ESPN 30 for 30). This doesn't exonerate Flair but it adds a lair of pathos that isn't present with Hogan.

Addendum: That having been said 89-11 vote split for Hogan feels like it's giving Flair way too much slack.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 2, 2019

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Ultimately went Hogan because all other things being equal Hogan empowered Vince.
Flair also seems to have spent his life with undiagnosed neurological issues, ADHD at least and an apparent complete inability to be alone or stop being Ric Flair for two consecutive seconds. (I'm basing this on the ESPN 30 for 30). This doesn't exonerate Flair but it adds a lair of pathos that isn't present with Hogan.

Addendum: That having been said 89-11 vote split for Hogan feels like it's giving Flair way too much slack.

Agreed. I voted Hogan because of the union busting but I'm surprised Flair isn't taking a bigger chunk. I figured it'd be 70-30 at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Even if Flair's shittiness is overlooked in the voting here at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that probably more than anybody else in this tournament, Flair ruined his own life with his brand of shittiness.

(Ugh, that actually feels like a kinda lovely thing to say).