Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Our new Site Manager is trying to make our location make money instead of be a black hole and decided to cut the office staff. So as people quit or got fired we haven't been replacing them instead just shifting their workload around to everyone else.

This was already rough and then we had someone go out if medical leave for 6-8 weeks. And someone else pass away. One of our two second shift people is going to Europe for a few weeks. It's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So change jobs my friend

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zzulu posted:

So change jobs my friend

Always easier to say than do ): I've been hunting for almost a year

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Always easier to say than do ): I've been hunting for almost a year

Become a hunter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's becoming increasingly clear that job applications aren't a real thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's becoming increasingly clear that job applications aren't a real thing

The woman who hired me literally said "I wouldn't normally hire you but the guy who referred you didn't have office experience and he worked out well" apparently having a four year degree means I have no experience entering data or working with Word

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Getting a job is pure luck and all the BS resume and interview classes are just active social denial of that

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lancemantis posted:

Getting a job is pure luck and all the BS resume and interview classes are just active social denial of that

It's not luck. its nepotism or lite nepotism. Its who you know. Networking is key.

Military teaches people getting out in a real live class that
50% of people that get hired dont have the "required" parts of the job description on their resume.
75% people are hired because they know someone at the workplace. Manager or someone to vouch for them.

Apply for what you arent qualified for if you know bob in accounting.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lancemantis posted:

luck + social network

once you have more exp on your resume from places where you got in thanks to basically nepotism you can start sending stuff out to places where you don't have that anchor and might get hired, but it's still luck of the draw

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I got hired primarily because I'm pretty sure one of the interviewers liked my accent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1184579750947368962?s=21

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dex_sda posted:

luck + social network

once you have more exp on your resume from places where you got in thanks to basically nepotism you can start sending stuff out to places where you don't have that anchor and might get hired, but it's still luck of the draw

My first job hired me to basically be tier-2 tech support with a maybe-kinda-sorta we'll move you to programming later, but then after I took the job (but before starting) one of the senior devs left and they're like "ok you're a dev now lol" and suddenly I was doing the work of a senior programmer...

...for the $12 an hour starting tech support wages previously agreed to, of course.

They did give me lil' raises pretty quick and then pretty regularly after that but I was still massively underpaid and overworked the whole time, however being able to put "did all this senior dev work" on my resume meant that when I moved jobs I was suddenly valuable so at least I got that out of that bullshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I legit had a thought of "why is CNN running an Onion article, did that mistakenly get put on the AP or something?" before realizing that no we just live in the worst timeline

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
God is wireless

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I feel weird because I was probably hired by a racist wanting to see more white people he can easily talk with. Language barrier is a big thing in my job. I've risen to be able to hire some people it's been a diverse group just my whole career seems tainted.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

apatheticman posted:

I feel weird because I was probably hired by a racist wanting to see more white people he can easily talk with. Language barrier is a big thing in my job. I've risen to be able to hire some people it's been a diverse group just my whole career seems tainted.

I mean you can't really get rid of your own privilege to any extent since it's given to you by society's biases, but you can be conscious of it and put it to good use advocating for equality and poo poo, and it sounds like you're doing exactly that, so :shrug:

It's not like lovely racist boss would have gone out and hired a black woman if you weren't hired, they'd have hired someone else who didn't give a gently caress or agreed with lovely racist boss' lovely racism, and they would be in your place right now, and it's not like they'd be using the privilege for positive things.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Resumes are bullshit. Everyone knows it's the cover letters that get you hired

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

apatheticman posted:

if you make hiring decisions you're one of the bad guys

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1200852177234911233

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

inspiring

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Imagine sitting for a long time a cotton-cocaine chair

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The plexiglass ruins it for me, if he were really intent on demonstrating how criminally rich he was he would have like, encased all the money in solid resin so there was no way to get it back out without destroying it in the process. Like what self-respecting billionaire would bother making something like this if you can just take the money back out when you're done with it like you're a poor person who actually needs it? What are you some kind of multimillionaire peasant?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Continuity RCP posted:

Aw beans!

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

The plexiglass ruins it for me, if he were really intent on demonstrating how criminally rich he was he would have like, encased all the money in solid resin so there was no way to get it back out without destroying it in the process. Like what self-respecting billionaire would bother making something like this if you can just take the money back out when you're done with it like you're a poor person who actually needs it? What are you some kind of multimillionaire peasant?

Conspicuous consumption dies in darkness.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haha what the gently caress man

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

either there's only 1 guy in the kitchen, or the beer your getting them is watered down piss if you can buy a round for the ENTIRE staff for $6

i dont hit the bar scene regularly anymore but last time i ordered a beer that wasn't a miller lite, $6 got you 1/2 a pint

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Continuity RCP posted:

I was only a manager for three months, but I hired everyone I could who applied and never fired or wrote anyone up, so I feel like my good guy status is not in too bad shape.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Taintrunner posted:

Haha what the gently caress man

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Nastier Nate posted:

either there's only 1 guy in the kitchen, or the beer your getting them is watered down piss if you can buy a round for the ENTIRE staff for $6

the cost price of 6 dollars worth of tap beer could get 1 dude very wasted or 5 dudes too drunk too drive easy. there’s no way that gets you 6 bucks cp for the kitchen though, bc capitalism

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the cost price of 6 dollars worth of tap beer could get 1 dude very wasted or 5 dudes too drunk too drive easy. there’s no way that gets you 6 bucks cp for the kitchen though, bc capitalism

well obviously, like the cost of a 12 oz soda from a fountain doesn't actually cost Applebee's $2.49...its like 12 cents. If they were selling beer to the staff at cost I'd buy them a round at $6 and split half with them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Are there people that want to get drunk on the job? This is about gifting the owner of the establishment $6 and not having to pay them out in tips.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lambert posted:

Are there people that want to get drunk on the job?

Literally everyone who has ever worked in a kitchen.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lambert posted:

Are there people that want to get drunk on the job?

you ever work in the industry before? cause if you did you'd know the answer to this one

if my boss at the restaurant i worked at sold beer at cost to employees half the staff would walk straight from the kitchen to the bar after their shift, then just sleep in a booth after closing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I didn't and should have known better.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like there's two sorts of jobs where all your coworkers are sober, surgeon and..I guess just surgeon now that I think of it but maybe not even them

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Housekeepers love drinking on the job can confirm.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

drinking on the job is so gauche. as a professional, i snort lines of coke

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shear Modulus posted:

drinking on the job is so gauche. as a professional, i snort lines of coke

How is Wall Street and/or Hollywood treating you?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you are sober at work what the gently caress are you even doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blatman posted:

I feel like there's two sorts of jobs where all your coworkers are sober, surgeon and..I guess just surgeon now that I think of it but maybe not even them

Surgeons definitely drink, how else are they supposed to make their hands stop twitching from all the cocaine