Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

suicidesteve posted:

Historic desperately needs a ban list because it's standard without a ban list plus a few random cards that are either absolutely unplayable or horrible and unfun. You just play a random green and blue pile of cards and it really doesn't matter how you play or what you do.

Also Wizards really needs to get off this insane hate-on they have for draw-go control.

What is a Standard Oko Food deck going to do against a full power Nexus Field or Kethis deck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Eej posted:

What is a Standard Oko Food deck going to do against a full power Nexus Field or Kethis deck lol

Interestingly enough, Nexus is only sort of legal in Historic, it’s still banned in bo1 for no clear reason.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went totally undefeated tonight with WB knights. :toot: Turns out a 4/2 lifelink indestructible is stupid good, especially when your opponent keeps ramming creatures into it. It's even better when backed up by 3 Bake into a Pie, a couple Reave Soul, and a Clakenbridge Troll. I had a bunch of cool knight lords too, but I either never drew them or never got a second plains to cast them (in the case of Syr Alin). Oh well! Still got a bunch of packs and a foil goose & foil knight of autumn in my promo thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Eej posted:

Yes what will the pile of green and blue cards do against the other piles of green and blue cards.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ultiville posted:

Interestingly enough, Nexus is only sort of legal in Historic, it’s still banned in bo1 for no clear reason.

Because it's stupid bullshit and people were building Bo1 decks with no win cons

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

suicidesteve posted:

Yes what will the pile of green and blue cards do against the other piles of green and blue cards.

Moving the goal posts of "just Standard + some random cards" to "actually I meant just green and blue cards" I see

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
green and blue are the two best colors so why would you play anything else??

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Eej posted:

Play questing beast to ignore their fogs for Nexus

Kethis is legit a good choice but too $$$$ for most people

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Uh, besides Elk your Kethis? Hmm I don’t know...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, besides Elk your Kethis? Hmm I don’t know...

and your excavators

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
My LGS ran its first pioneer event last night. I was testing my BG Vampire Hardened Scales list but the moment I took it from the practice rooms to league is seemed to collapse. So I panicked and threw together a BW Vampire list, went 2-1-1 and came third. Got a foil Chandra and Wicked Wolf in my prize pack, which probably speaks to Sorin's power level, I'm sure I can be improved (and will then need to wait until the new Zendikar set to get anything new)

Inflicted a real feelbad, my opponent used Legions End on my Knight Of the Ebon Legion, and made me reveal two Adanto Vanguard.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinaun posted:

green and blue are the two best colors so why would you play anything else??

this, but unironically

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Oh boy, this is the good poo poo - someone timed out and lost in the finals of an MTGO PTQ while streaming. All he had to do was untap, F6, right click, attack with all, and then jam F6 over and over to assign blockers and damage, which is doable but instead he wasn't even allowed to untap because the MTGO server thought he had lost to time.

Shot: https://clips.twitch.tv/LivelyRamshackleDootTriHard

Chaser: https://clips.twitch.tv/CooperativeLivelyChickpeaOSsloth

bonus - he had 11 seconds on the clock still from his opponent's perspective and also in that second clip if you stop just before he receives his second place prizes, MTGO says he still has 11 seconds.

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1200630161118547968?s=20

I've had this happen before a few times. Sometimes MTGO will think you've lost due to inactivity or to your clock, so it will mark you as having lost, but then it'll remember "oh wait this player still has time" so it'll continue the game for a few seconds before causing you to lose. One of the fun interactions with this is that if you are marked to lose to time and also kill someone to win the match, it'll mark the match as a draw and you'll both lose.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Never let it go to a decision

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Never let it go to a decision

also don't burn four minutes off your clock at the start of the match

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hellsau posted:

also don't burn four minutes off your clock at the start of the match

We have all kinds of stuff like that at our FNM. rounds kind of start when people aren't ready, or people will start ahead of time.

Curious, if we finish a game 2 with like 60 seconds left and someone mulls a few times does the game still start with a 5 turn limit or does a card have to hit the table?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah, MTGO has problems and it sucks that what's displayed on the client is not always the same as the server state but I'd also have more sympathy if he didn't spend multiple minutes on a mulligan decision while saying clock is not an issue.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I have only played on Arena so I am only familiar with Magic in an environment where a LOT of stuff is done automatically for me, and I was just curious about how certain things work etiquette wise in paper.

For example, I know with Wilderness Reclamation once it is on the stack you can tap all your untapped mana before it actually resolves, then tap everything again to get a bunch of mana for instants or what have you. In paper, do you just make sure to be verbally clear about things like that? Like "Moving to end step, wilderness reclamation triggers but before it resolves I blah blah blah?" That's probably the case but it's just interesting to me how much I'd have to learn just to play the game in paper regardless of how much knowledge I might have of the game.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Abisteen posted:

I have only played on Arena so I am only familiar with Magic in an environment where a LOT of stuff is done automatically for me, and I was just curious about how certain things work etiquette wise in paper.

For example, I know with Wilderness Reclamation once it is on the stack you can tap all your untapped mana before it actually resolves, then tap everything again to get a bunch of mana for instants or what have you. In paper, do you just make sure to be verbally clear about things like that? Like "Moving to end step, wilderness reclamation triggers but before it resolves I blah blah blah?" That's probably the case but it's just interesting to me how much I'd have to learn just to play the game in paper regardless of how much knowledge I might have of the game.

Someone else can explain it better but there's a lot more shortcutting in paper than there is on Arena just in order to save time.

e: if you can play the game on arena you can play in paper, just remember your triggers!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Good point from him but it'd still be nice if the timer worked

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Yeah I don't know why we can't call Magic Online out for being sucky just because this guy also didn't manage his time perfectly. Two things can be bad.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Magic Online has been lovely and buggy for 17 years. This guy has only publicly been an idiot today as far as I know so the novelty alone is on this guy's side

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went to my first pioneer tournament today, went 3-0 with Sidisi Whip/Cauldron! :woop: I played against gruul beatdown (I won the one game we had where one of us wasn't drawing only lands all game), burn (turns out whip's incidental life gain is good against burn!), and slivers (where my extra spicy 2x doomwake giant SB was insane with yarok and my other enchantment creatures). Feels good.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

What the guy did from minutes 25-21 is totally irrelevant to what MTGO did in seconds 11-0. That's hosed up to have happen to him.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

What the guy did from minutes 25-21 is totally irrelevant to what MTGO did in seconds 11-0. That's hosed up to have happen to him.

Agreed. Dude deserved to lose for wasting time because he did not correctly prioritize his finals match over whatever else (assuming his house wasn't on fire and he was texting 911 or whatever) but also he didn't deserve to lose from his winning position given that it required MTGO to tell him the wrong amount of time he had left, misrecognize how much time he had left and assign him a loss, and then just kind of hang there for a few seconds for no apparent reason to him. Like you can definitely modulate your play to maximize your chance to win the match while also minimizing the chance you time out, but only if you actually know how much time you have left and not just a vague approximation.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

2x doomwake giant SB
:snoo:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yawgmoth posted:

Went to my first pioneer tournament today, went 3-0 with Sidisi Whip/Cauldron! :woop: I played against gruul beatdown (I won the one game we had where one of us wasn't drawing only lands all game), burn (turns out whip's incidental life gain is good against burn!), and slivers (where my extra spicy 2x doomwake giant SB was insane with yarok and my other enchantment creatures). Feels good.

What's your list? Congrats btw, sounds like a good time with some interesting matchups.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

There are two "nerd stores" in my town. Respectively, one of them used to be a pawn shop that hosted card tournaments and is now owned by an alt-right weirdo, and the other is right next door to a middle school and has a business model that basically amounts to "mark stuff up 50% so 12 year olds who can't or don't know how to shop online will buy it with their allowance". The closest game shop that doesn't suck rear end is 25 minutes away, and it's still more expensive than TCG/eBay/etc (for example, they sell Warhammer at MSRP)

this is a week old but im lolling at "they have the gall to sell a game with lovely margins because gw is the loving devil at msrp to try to stay afloat, the NERVE"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

this is a week old but im lolling at "they have the gall to sell a game with lovely margins because gw is the loving devil at msrp to try to stay afloat, the NERVE"

I wasn't really mad about it, but it really seems to have stuck with you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I wasn't really mad about it, but it really seems to have stuck with you

no i just clicked the last read button and that's how long ago i last read the thread

and i was really looking for an old post of mine so i could find a camera bag someone posted!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

no i just clicked the last read button and that's how long ago i last read the thread

gently caress!!! im deleting it

seriously though I don't think they're assholes and I'm not mad they're trying to keep their small business afloat or w/e, I'm just not gonna go out of my way to pay them more money than I can pay anyone on ebay for the same poo poo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

seriously though I don't think they're assholes and I'm not mad they're trying to keep their small business afloat or w/e, I'm just not gonna go out of my way to pay them more money than I can pay anyone on ebay for the same poo poo

If you don't care they exist then fine. You can't play fnm at the ebays dudes place though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hope you dont mind them closing because they cant compete with a guy who doesnt have an overhead and can sell at cost

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

If you don't care they exist then fine. You can't play fnm at the ebays dudes place though.

Yeah, I went over that a week ago or w/e when I posted it; I'm not lurking around a store annoying employees, I'm not bringing my friends in and claiming their gaming tables, etc without paying them money. I don't do FNM, I play RPGs and wargames w/ friends at our own places. Sometimes when I drive by that store (the one of three near me that isn't run by creeps and racist assholes), I drop in to browse and pick up some paint or something.

The only points I was trying to make are (in reference to the shithead stores) not everyone's LGS is cool or deserves support, and (in reference to the other) that it's really hard for me to justify spending a lot of money at a place that charges more solely to support a community I'm not really involved with. If your LGS is really cool, or you're availing yourself of that community, absolutely support them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mat Cauthon posted:

What's your list? Congrats btw, sounds like a good time with some interesting matchups.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-whip-2-cauldron-boogaloo/?cb=1575176635

It's pretty much a sultai value engine style deck, which is my favorite kind of deck honestly. Debating if I should take out the murderous cuts for a couple drown in the loch MB or something, since I think that would let me get a little more control-ish and have a little more flexibility early/mid game when I haven't had a chance to mill myself much in the way of noncreatures (i.e. stuff to reanimate rather than delve away).

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-whip-2-cauldron-boogaloo/?cb=1575176635

It's pretty much a sultai value engine style deck, which is my favorite kind of deck honestly. Debating if I should take out the murderous cuts for a couple drown in the loch MB or something, since I think that would let me get a little more control-ish and have a little more flexibility early/mid game when I haven't had a chance to mill myself much in the way of noncreatures (i.e. stuff to reanimate rather than delve away).

That deck is really cool

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone seen the Jeskai Ascendancy/Sylvan Awakening deck in action in pioneer? It seems pretty strong to me on paper but I guess the mana is really awkward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Papa Smurf setting down some stronger lines
https://twitter.com/reidduke/status/1201141513910149123?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Oh no please stop dragging me guys I swear I'm a good ally!