Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Agean90 posted:

He hasn't done poo poo and giving business owners credit for things done by employees is stupid as poo poo.

He's a loving billionaire if you want to stand up for him at least get a paycheck first

Agean90 posted:

*as a bunch of rich fucks vote to have space research defunded* wow thank you for doing space research Mr rich gently caress surely we couldn't do this without you!!!

Marzzle posted:

what if Ronald McDonald was a real guy and sometimes he’d show up at a McDonald’s and tell them to crank the fryers up to 1000 degrees to improve efficiency and it just would blow up and kill workers but RONALD IS MCDONALDS AND HES REAL AND MY FRIEND. it’s pr brainwashing exploiting humans hosed up propensity for parasocial relationships with ppl they see on TV but for some dickhead industrialist with daddy issues

Jesus, I've certainly touched a nerve here.

All I said was that some of the companies that the guy founded to do various ambitious things have done those things, sometimes very impressively, and that these were not routine things that were already being done anyway. That must mean I'm a slobbering Elon sycophant with stars in my eyes, even though one of my four or five sentences on the topic said that there's a LOT to dislike about the guy and I wouldn't blame anyone for hating him.

Powered Descent has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

so how do people forget we could tail land rockets in 1960s and it just wasn't something we'd do on earth for kicks because due to the materials and technology of the time, there was no way in hell the vehicles would be reusable for another launch (and it's still actually questionable if it's economical for SpaceX or if they're just pretending it is and running on capital investments like every other Musk's venture)

I mean Soviets landed a goddamn space shuttle that did orbit, all fully autonomously back in 1988 which is a considerably more complex vehicle, returning on a considerable more complex trajectory, with a lot more complex mode of flight

being baffled about the ingenuity of SpaceX landing (some of their) boosters is like being astounded by lime scooters littering the streets for people to pick up and lob into the river; nothing about it is particularly new, impressive, or useful, it's just possible because somebody sold people with money on funding it

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
spacex is loving up the entire night sky instead of painting their satellites black lol

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

All I said was that some of the companies that the guy founded to do various ambitious things have done those things, sometimes very impressively, and that these were not routine things that were already being done anyway. That must mean I'm a slobbering Elon sycophant with stars in my eyes, even though one of my four or five sentences on the topic said that there's a LOT to dislike about the guy and I wouldn't blame anyone for hating him.

nice a "u mad" defense in 2019

Everything Elon has done is like everything all the other silicon valley tech companies have done. It's either old tech repackaged and and rebranded with slick marketing BS or has actively made the world a worse place for the enrichment of a few already rich CEOs.

Musk didn't found Tesla, he just bought them and paid enough to get his name plastered over the actual founder. Their big accomplishment so far is making lithium valuable enough for the US to start a coup in Bolivia.

Space X's only achievements happened when Elon was kept as far away from their daily operations as possible. Now that he's been sticking his dumb little fingers in the works we are getting things like rockets that look like they are made out of aluminum foil and explode when you actually try to put fuel in them and mini-sats that are blocking out the night sky for real astronomers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Teal posted:

I mean Soviets landed a goddamn space shuttle that did orbit, all fully autonomously back in 1988 which is a considerably more complex vehicle, returning on a considerable more complex trajectory, with a lot more complex mode of flight

This is kind of like how people were (rightfully) blown away by us putting landers on Mars, while most never realized Russia put a lander on loving Venus in the 70's and sent back pictures of the venusian surface.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
felon musk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Musk didn't found Tesla, he just bought them and paid enough to get his name plastered over the actual founder.

I didn't actually know that. My mistake. :tipshat:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

jimmyjams posted:

felon musk
On the first day of Christmas Elon gave to me

a girlfriend that still looks fifteen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teal posted:

the one problem I trust Musk to eventually solve is us having to put up with his dumb bullshit

I'm afraid it won't be anything fun like blasting himself to space or frying his brain with experimental electronics; cocaine will have to do

If he cocaines as well as he weeds, this might take a while

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

musk also forced out the actual founders in like 2008

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

no wonder trump hasn't been ranting about bezos as much lately

PISS TAPE IS REAL AND STREAMING ON PRIME

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1200933651032096768

loving lol

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

MaxieSatan posted:

Step one is writing off everyone who disagrees with you, or presents too butch/flamboyant after they transition, or looks a bit weird, as a Fake Trans.

There is no step two.

This doesn't really describe Natalie Wynn imho

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

VROOM VROOM posted:

spacex is loving up the entire night sky instead of painting their satellites black lol

lol hadn’t heard of this one but I’ve seen them in vids. what are they for and why do they orbit so close together? is it some satellite internet thing?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Marzzle posted:

i miss cyber truck

someday you might wish it missed you

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Syd Midnight posted:

my bad, natalie is less about "you're a fake trans" and more about "you're making us look bad"

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Marx Headroom posted:

someday you might wish it missed you

cyber trick doesn’t have a break pedal on its options list and I don’t want it to have one on its heart

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

oops

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syd Midnight posted:

She just likes to pal around with pieces of poo poo who say that and give them a lot of screentime though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

SardonicTyrant posted:

On the first day of Christmas Elon gave to me

a girlfriend that still looks fifteen.

Lol'd irl, well played.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marzzle posted:

lol hadn’t heard of this one but I’ve seen them in vids. what are they for and why do they orbit so close together? is it some satellite internet thing?

theoretically, it's satellite internet, using an absolute fuckton of cheap lovely satellites in low orbits, and making up for poor individual performance with some extremely dubious promises about super-networking them

because there's a lot of satellites that need to be constantly replaced, though, it will also generate an absolute fuckton of demand for Elon's rockets. because he's promising that Starlink will contain more satellites than we've launched in all of human history, and the attrition rate will also be really high due to the low orbits and shoddy manufacture. so it's really another instance of Elon setting up self-dealing schemes between his various business endeavors to help him cook the books and fake demand for things

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

theoretically, it's satellite internet, using an absolute fuckton of cheap lovely satellites in low orbits, and making up for poor individual performance with some extremely dubious promises about super-networking them

because there's a lot of satellites that need to be constantly replaced, though, it will also generate an absolute fuckton of demand for Elon's rockets. because he's promising that Starlink will contain more satellites than we've launched in all of human history, and the attrition rate will also be really high due to the low orbits and shoddy manufacture. so it's really another instance of Elon setting up self-dealing schemes between his various business endeavors to help him cook the books and fake demand for things

iirc the number is up around 42,000 satellites, all of which will need will communicate with lasers that need millimeter level precision.

Also no they do not work that way right now.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Marzzle posted:

the real innovation Elon musk has fostered is whatever MKULTRA style brain washing was implemented to get our whole country to think he’s a good dude while simple billionaires like micheal Bloomberg and Tom styer can barely sway public opinion with 50 state multi million dollar ad buys

Bloomberg is a wall street equity parasite. Musk owns companies that make things.

They are not comparable in any way as far as the PR needed to craft an image.

Powered Descent posted:

Theres a pretty developed anti-musk team thats been practicing in another dedicated thread. They are either emotionally invested or work for exxon or some poo poo.

FRINGE has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Dec 1, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

what if natalie wynn, but also a cybertruck?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FRINGE posted:

or work for exxon or some poo poo.
:stare: Okay, boomer.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Theres a pretty developed anti-musk team thats been practicing in another dedicated thread. They are either emotionally invested or work for exxon or some poo poo.

can you seriously not imagine why a forum full of staunch anti-capitalists might dislike elon musk

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

can you seriously not imagine why a forum full of staunch anti-capitalists might dislike elon musk
Even if I believed in the myth of innovation under capitalism, I'd still be horrified at Musk's prodigious incompetence.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

upgunned shitpost posted:

what if natalie wynn, but also a cybertruck?

MY HATE FOR ENBIES IS CYBER TRUCK
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HEAR SOME ANGEL BUCK
TRANS-TERF-ER!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FRINGE posted:

yes, the “all my posting enemies are paid trolls” schtick. A classic!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

yes, the “all my posting enemies are paid trolls” schtick. A classic!

you guys are getting paid?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Poniard posted:

you guys are getting paid?

you haven't gotten your Sorosbux yet, comrade?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol if you do not have Enrique write and submit paid dead gay forum posts on your behalf

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

I can imagine why a bunch of supposed anti-capitalists rage against Musk but somehow have no energy to type as many angry words about the Kochs, Adelson, Thiel, Bloomberg, Hamm, Kaiser, or Bezos with the same dedicated fervor.

Musk is the least offensive in that list.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FRINGE posted:

I can imagine why a bunch of supposed anti-capitalists rage against Musk but somehow have no energy to type as many angry words about the Kochs, Adelson, Thiel, Bloomberg, Hamm, Kaiser, or Bezos with the same dedicated fervor.

Because Musk is the loudest and most online about advertising himself, you cretin.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Also, if you don't think people bitch much about the Bros. Kock, Bloomberg, etc., you must not read many posts.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because Musk is the loudest and most online about advertising himself, you cretin.

So not "staunch anti-capitalists" then, just screeching twitter addicts.

Pretty cretinous.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Screaming Idiot posted:

Also, if you don't think people bitch much about the Bros. Kock, Bloomberg, etc., you must not read many posts.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FRINGE posted:

You might want to check literally any other thread in this entire forum.

Musk has the advantage of having very public meltdowns to draw attention, but you can easily find tirades against every single one of those people here. Also until extremely recently his public persona was a genius inventor; no one else on your list has anywhere near the number of regular people singing their praises for free. Nerds were claiming he was going to usher us into a star trek future, but it turns out no all billionaires are actually bad and he is no different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FRINGE posted:

So not "staunch anti-capitalists" then, just screeching twitter addicts.

Pretty cretinous.

I'd tell you to go back to bootlicking but you're such a pathetic little worm you're not even worth the poo poo scraped off the bottom.