Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Stickman posted:

not because it’s PNY. They’re hotter and louder
.... dual-fan EVGA
... triple-fan Gigabyte card.

These elements of this post lead me to a $10-20 question. General rules for graphics card manufacturers these days? Zotac and Gigabyte are the finalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

BexGu posted:

So I was looking around Rakuten is doing a flat 20% off everything (up to $60) and the PNY Geforce 2060 Super Blower is the cheapest of the bunch after the discount (339 + tax).

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/dell/product/AA739958/

In fact every PNY Blower series is discounted the most. I can't figure out what that PNY Blower series actually is, if it better or worse then any other card.

The PNY 2070 Blower was on sale for $329 on Amazon a few days ago as well.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

These elements of this post lead me to a $10-20 question. General rules for graphics card manufacturers these days? Zotac and Gigabyte are the finalists.

Yeah, same with single-fan cards. They're not a bad as blowers, but they're still hotter and louder than decent dual/triple-fan cards so I'd recommend those if you can fit them. The other consideration with 1650 cards is psu PCIe connectors, since most of the better cards require a six-pin connector.

If you have a six-pin connector available (or some molex for an adapter) and a little extra space, I'd recommend an EVGA 1650 Super for $220. It's a crazy 45% performance boost over the stock 1650, and the dual-fan model will be quieter and cooler. There's also a shorter Zotac model for $10 less, but I avoid Zotac because their support has a pretty bad reputation. EVGA has a reputation for the best support of the various gpu manufacturers.

If you still want to go with a single-fan 1650, I'd go with the Gigabyte mostly because of poor quality of Zotac's support - the cards themselves should be similar quality. You could also save $15 buying from Vuugo or Cananda Computers.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Lamebot posted:

Look up Boneworks. That game looks like an amazing VR experience.

I'm extremely scared of feeding the steam algorithm that I'm interested in a VR game named "Boneworks"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Stickman posted:

It’s not good, but because it’s a blower card, not because it’s PNY. They’re hotter and louder than open-style cards unless you have a very specific use case (a case with little to no airflow). Just spend the extra $20-30 for a dual-fan EVGA or a triple-fan Gigabyte card.

Thanks, it was killing me trying to figure the difference. Now to either pull the trigger or keep waiting for a better deal/ wait for RTX 3000 series.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
If I’m planning on using a G12 bracket/H55 I already own, is there any reason to go with a more expensive 2070s? Some models advertise a higher boost clock but is that because of the better cooling or is there some sort of binning happening?

I’m deciding between something like an EVGA Black and a XC Gaming or MSI Gaming X (1770MHz vs 1800MHz).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
EVGA in particular is aggressive about binning. Honestly I don’t know that there is a huge difference in real world performance gains with how far the S parts are already pushing their clocks though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sacred Cow posted:

If I’m planning on using a G12 bracket/H55 I already own, is there any reason to go with a more expensive 2070s? Some models advertise a higher boost clock but is that because of the better cooling or is there some sort of binning happening?

I’m deciding between something like an EVGA Black and a XC Gaming or MSI Gaming X (1770MHz vs 1800MHz).

EVGA customer service makes this an easy recommendation from me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Heners_UK posted:

Given the choice of those two, I'd say go with Gigabyte. Zotac's improved since the Bad Old Days, but their support network within North America isn't as robust as Gigabyte's NA presence.

Seeing as it's ~only~ a 1650, you're pretty safe with either/or. Gigabyte's just the bigger - but not necessarily better - name.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sacred Cow posted:

Especially under water, they should all boost to very nearly the same these days. I'd second the EVGA recommendation if the prices are equal, since their support is the best in the business. MSI isn't bad, though, so I wouldn't regret going that route, either.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
EVGA has some stellar US support. I'll pay their slight premium on components every time if it means they'll cross-ship during RMA things for me or maintain their domestic phone support. MSI GPUs are cool too, and they did replace my GPU when a capacitor exploded, but the time from RMA ticket creation to refurb replacement GPU was just over a month.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

buglord posted:

EVGA has some stellar US support. I'll pay their slight premium on components every time if it means they'll cross-ship during RMA things for me or maintain their domestic phone support. MSI GPUs are cool too, and they did replace my GPU when a capacitor exploded, but the time from RMA ticket creation to refurb replacement GPU was just over a month.

Never buy a first-run brand-new GPU from MSI, though. If (or more usually, *when*) they run out of stock they'll try to buy you off with a 'depreciated' settlement. If you complain, they'll usually boost the check to a 1:1 amount, but then you have to find a suitable replacement when everyone else is sold out. Similar advice goes for any specially marked "limited edition" (their 'Gaming' line isn't limited edition) SKUs they offer.

EVGA has a decent track record of decently quick RMAs and a history over time of replacing older cards with 'equivalent or better' replacements (people who RMAed 970s got 6GB 1060s, for instance), which is the only reason I dropped money on an extended warranty for my 2080 FTW3.

eames
May 9, 2009

In case any EU goons are looking for a new Navi card, Mindfactory currently has a 5700 for 285€ and a 5700XT for 367€.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So I was running GPU-Z while testing out some settings in Monster Hunter World at 4k-ish resolutions on my new RX 5700 and I got an incredibly anomalous reading for about a minute:

None of those readings make sense and it's a sensor malfunction or software error or something right? I noticed this four hours after it got logged, kept playing my game, had no issues at all, didn't have any readings anywhere close to these at any other point. I had to crop the GPU power draw column but it says it was drawing 10w, and it has to violate a law of physics for a 10w draw to produce that much heat when the clockspeeds are that low, correct?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don’t know man but I am literally at the edge of my drat seat, yearning for this trivial minutiae to be resolved.

Is there some kind of emergency line you can call?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gnumonic posted:

So I was running GPU-Z while testing out some settings in Monster Hunter World at 4k-ish resolutions on my new RX 5700 and I got an incredibly anomalous reading for about a minute:

None of those readings make sense and it's a sensor malfunction or software error or something right? I noticed this four hours after it got logged, kept playing my game, had no issues at all, didn't have any readings anywhere close to these at any other point. I had to crop the GPU power draw column but it says it was drawing 10w, and it has to violate a law of physics for a 10w draw to produce that much heat when the clockspeeds are that low, correct?

Try another utility like HWInfo, although it's possible the card is so new that a lot of software may not be reading its sensors correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about weird readings since it's a fairly new card and not everything may be updated to support it yet. That said, if the card is acting strangely then there may be cause for concern.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If I leave HWinfo open for a couple hours it'll say that one of my fans has a maximum recorded value of 25000 rpm

My pc has not yet lifted off and flown around the room, so I think I can just ignore it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I just play wow and HoI4, is it worth it to upgrade my rx580 to an rx5700? I seeing several of the latter under 300 bucks today and Im tempted, but Im afraid I won't even notice the difference for those games.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

joepinetree posted:

If I just play wow and HoI4, is it worth it to upgrade my rx580 to an rx5700? I seeing several of the latter under 300 bucks today and Im tempted, but Im afraid I won't even notice the difference for those games.

no

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quake 2 RTX got a big update :pcgaming:

https://steamcommunity.com/ogg/1089130/announcements/detail/1624040114604963203

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnYtathGvdw

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

joepinetree posted:

Only thing HOI4 cares about is CPU clock speed, and even then it will chug by the late game regardless of what you have. GPU change won't make any difference.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Thanks for all the advice on the 1650 purchase. I absolutely accept that there are more performant options out there and the single fan, bus power only has drawbacks. That said, I was constrained by my other hardware I cannot replace at the moment and I ended up deciding I didn't have the tweaking time I used to. I debated power usage with myself strongly. I considered getting an 8pin to 2*8pin splitter, splitting off one of the SAS backplanes, then 8pin to 6pin for a 1650 Super. However, for the aformentioned reason, I didn't. I also bought from Amazon in case I need to return this thing (PC Canada wouldn't take back a 1650 Super if it didn't work out).

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is 5700 < 1070Ti </= 2060S < 5700XT < 2070S accurate?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

MH Knights posted:

Is 5700 < 1070Ti </= 2060S < 5700XT < 2070S accurate?

5700 is faster than the 1070 ti but a bit slower than the 2060S, otherwise that looks accurate.

Rough estimates below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/28.html

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

B-Mac posted:

5700 is faster than the 1070 ti but a bit slower than the 2060S, otherwise that looks accurate.

Rough estimates below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/28.html

It's actually faster than a 2060S, though minorly.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ItBreathes posted:

It's actually faster than a 2060S, though minorly.

Most reviews I’ve seen show them trading blows but the 2060S having a low single digit lead overall. Here’s some additional links showing that though for all intents and purposes they are similar performance.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1924-radeon-5700-vs-geforce-2060/

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3498-sapphire-rx-5700-xt-pulse-review

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I ended up purcha

DrDork posted:

Especially under water, they should all boost to very nearly the same these days. I'd second the EVGA recommendation if the prices are equal, since their support is the best in the business. MSI isn't bad, though, so I wouldn't regret going that route, either.

I ended up going for the EVGA Black 2070s. Thanks for everyone’s input.

My card comes with a code for Modern Warfare which I have zero interest in. I remember a few years ago Nvidia made it pretty complicated to sell your code and that seems to still be the case. How would I go about selling the code without possibly selling it to someone that can’t redeem it?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Taima posted:

I don’t know man but I am literally at the edge of my drat seat, yearning for this trivial minutiae to be resolved.

Is there some kind of emergency line you can call?

Huh? Did I do something to offend you? As far as I can tell the maximum operating temperature for GDDR6 is 95c and I guess while my graphics card melting is trivial to you I just wanted to know if I needed to RMA it. No need to be a dick about it.

Rexxed posted:

Try another utility like HWInfo, although it's possible the card is so new that a lot of software may not be reading its sensors correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about weird readings since it's a fairly new card and not everything may be updated to support it yet. That said, if the card is acting strangely then there may be cause for concern.

Yeah I think it was just a sensor glitch after all. Played 5-6 more hours of MH:W yesterday and the readings were fine. I'll keep watching the max temperatures but I'm assuming that if things are working fine now I didn't literally melt anything.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A random bit of trivia but EGPUs have negligible impact on performance for ML/AI training. I've been testing a 1080 Ti in a Razer Core X on standard image models - throughput (images/sec) wasn't any different from a "native" 1080 Ti.

Also handy to note that Ubuntu handles EGPUs seamlessly - just had to authorize thunderbolt and it recognized both the Razer Core X and the 1080 Ti immediately.

Hopefully this is handy for anyone interested - most online discussions about this seem to assume that there'd be a big performance hit as with EGPUs and games. But intuitively, if you're training contemporary DL models, most of the training time is taken up by GPUs processing data internally and not so much getting data from the CPU to it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think a lot of the problem is the pcie lanes choking when people effectively use them wrong for gaming lol (using built in screen)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
5600 XT may be coming, 192 bit bus, 6gb

Considering the 5500 is basically equivalent to a 1060, this might be good - largely depends on the price of course. Would be a solid 1660 Super/TI competitor if they don't do something dumb and price it identically.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

From what I’ve gathered a 1650 super is about 30% faster than my current rx 470 right? Finding direct comparisons is difficult and I’m wondering just how good of an upgrade it would be.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

fat bossy gerbil posted:

From what I’ve gathered a 1650 super is about 30% faster than my current rx 470 right? Finding direct comparisons is difficult and I’m wondering just how good of an upgrade it would be.

Yes, 570 is the same card as yours, maybe clocked 2% higher or so.
Not worth it imo unless you want QOL features like a working VP9 decoder to watch 4K Youtube, or a working/decent h.264 encoder for streaming.

What type of games are you foreseeing to play? A 1650S is nice enough now for MOBAs and AAA titles with settings turned down, it doesn't have much of a future tbh.
A real upgrade would be a 1660Super or a 5700 (please do some research on the cooler model if you buy the latter one)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 1, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

Yes, 570 is the same card as yours, maybe clocked 2% higher or so.
Not worth it imo unless you want QOL features like a working VP9 decoder to watch 4K Youtube, or a working/decent h.264 encoder for streaming.

What type of games are you foreseeing to play? A 1650S is nice enough now for MOBAs and AAA titles with settings turned down, it doesn't have much of a future tbh.
A real upgrade would be a 1660Super or a 5700 (please do some research on the cooler model if you buy the latter one)

what site is this

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

what site is this

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-11/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-test/2/
It's German.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any games benchmarked on the Valve Index Headset?

It has two 1440×1600 LCD panel for each eye with a total resolution of 2880×1600. That's 4.6 Million Pixels. 1440P is 3.6 and 4k is 8.2.

I suspect we won't have any new video cards until next Fall. Is that accurate? If so, I need to cop a sub-$400 2060.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any games benchmarked on the Valve Index Headset?

It has two 1440×1600 LCD panel for each eye with a total resolution of 2880×1600. That's 4.6 Million Pixels. 1440P is 3.6 and 4k is 8.2.

I suspect we won't have any new video cards until next Fall. Is that accurate? If so, I need to cop a sub-$400 2060.

Yeah, buying hardware for a Half Life game way before the release date could never backfire :v:

I'm sure Valve won't make the game super demanding but you usually want closer to a steady 90fps on a VR set and the Index supports 120hz+.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Should I scared of Gigabytes refurbished stuff? Newegg has a refurb 2070 for $365, but about half the reviews are complaining about how it was busted the day they got it, another refurb Gigabyte 2070 for a little more is the same story.

I'm desperately in need of a GPU upgrade, something that can push 1440p@60. I'm currently running a 6GB 1060, so you can imagine how much it's struggling. I don't mind turning sliders down either. For a long time my general rule has been never to spend more than $300 on a GPU and it's served me reasonably well, but it's become readily apparent that I'm not going to be able to stick to that rule this time. So I'm looking at the refurb as a way to boost my bang-for-the-buck, so to speak.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Is it sold by Gigabyte? I'd buy almost any manufacturer's personal refurb or B stock, but most of the parts on Newegg (or even Amazon) that aren't factory/manufacturer refurbished means some guy maybe plugged in the card to test it quickly. I'd call it straight "used" with the benefit of someone you can complain to if it isn't refurbished by Newegg or the OEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I have a laptop w a 1650 and a couple of other devices that are within 10% performance or so. AMA amigo, if I have a game you want I'll test it for you , if not my own research for GPU usually involves this thread + YouTube "GPU* GAME* RES*" ie "gtx 1650 division 2 1080p" and you can see actual irl benchmarks w that hardware

Most ppl on YT tell you their exact hardware etc. When I am curious about some of my more popular combos (ie, amd 2600x and 1060) I can usually find someone w identical CPU/GPU and I will just have a great idea