Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

marktheando posted:

Is it thanksgiving today? I can't keep track of your strange American holidays. Is it even a holiday? How much time off work do you get?

American thanksigiving is the last thursday in november, Canadian thanksgiving is the second monday in october. Different harvest times.

Both of them are traditionally holidays one receives time off from work for, but capitalism demands its blood and sorrow, so people being forced/pressured/incentivized to work on those days increases yearly, and the day after American thanksgiving has outright been turned into a celebration of the worst aspects of consumerism, a blight that has spread to numerous other nations, including your own. In America, one generally receives that thursday and friday off, leading to a four day weekend, while Canada generally gets a three day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah we may not have thanksgiving in the uk, but Black Friday was imported over from the US a few years ago.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is Boxing Day as known for people throwing elbows etc as Black Friday is in the States?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nah not really. Boxing Day sales aren’t as much of a big deal as they were in my childhood, when there might have been some elbows thrown.

We had a bit of violence the first couple of Black Fridays a few years back, people shoving each other for TVs . But it didn’t really take off.

Certainly nothing on the level of Black Friday in the US where I understand people get into gunfights over parking spaces.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

marktheando posted:

Certainly nothing on the level of Black Friday in the US where I understand people get into gunfights over parking spaces.

That's actually every weekend from now until Christmas. Do not try to go to the mall.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beachcomber posted:

That's actually every weekend from now until Christmas. Do not try to go to the mall America.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

In one of Nimoy's autobiographies, he mentions that Shatner was away at a funeral or something they day they filmed this scene, so they just filmed Shatner's reaction shots after the fact the next day. Shatner came up to Nimoy and asked him to show him what he'd done yesterday so he could see what he was meant to be reacting to. He got him to really go for it with the "Pain! PAIN!!" bit and then with all the crew looking at them Shatner yells "Jesus, someone get this guy an aspirin!"
:dadjoke:

Allegedly Nimoy wouldn't speak to him for weeks after.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Entropic posted:

In one of Nimoy's autobiographies, he mentions that Shatner was away at a funeral or something they day they filmed this scene, so they just filmed Shatner's reaction shots after the fact the next day. Shatner came up to Nimoy and asked him to show him what he'd done yesterday so he could see what he was meant to be reacting to. He got him to really go for it with the "Pain! PAIN!!" bit and then with all the crew looking at them Shatner yells "Jesus, someone get this guy an aspirin!"

Honestly that one's on Nimoy, that's pretty funny.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Entropic posted:

Shatner was at his father's funeral.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zurui posted:

I'm sorry.

this is somebody's fetish

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/markeiamccarty/status/1200531956548558848?s=20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shut up Wesley!

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Zurui posted:

I'm sorry.

This is horrifying and I almost didn’t save the image.

Almost.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is better than I thought it was going to be, because of the asides

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't care if this gives me strong YTMND vibes, it rules

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't care if this gives me strong YTMND vibes, it rules
YTMND ruled, though

Captain. Jean-Luc Picard. Of the USS. Enterprise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCTgRax94o

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

That was more fun than I expected

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This is the first I've seen the Picard one, and it's great, but the DS9 one will always hold a soft spot in my heart, it's just brilliant. I love how Having/Wonderful get replaced with different words every time and the Allamaraine syncing, with the cuts to everyone looking all :wtc: is just :laffo:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

YTMND ruled, though

Cap-tain. JeanLucPicard. Of the Ewe.ess.ess. Ent-er-prise.

Fixed that for you.

But yes!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fixed that for you.

But yes!

He just kept poooosting
in one loooong
incredibly unbroken textblock
moving from topic to topic
so that no mod had a chance to interrupt
it was really quite hypnotic (notic. notic.)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The best Star Trek YTMND was Sisko's slow-motion dive with football telestrator effects set to Ghost Love Score and someone's John Madden parody.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don't know why people are talking about YTMND in past tense :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

It's essentially dead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Tron posted:

The site went down in the spring and the owner is trying to get money to bring it back up, but I would be surprised if that happens

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Edit: whoops wrong thread.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 2, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The site went down in the spring and the owner is trying to get money to bring it back up, but I would be surprised if that happens

http://picard.ytmnd.com/

:D

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Trials and Tribble-ations continues DS9's streak as The Horniest Trek.

I would have liked to see a serious discussion on whether Bashir needed to the nasty in the past-y though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe Bashir loving his grandma is the reason young Bashir was like:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh god I wish. even by star trek standards that would produce some amazingly bad discourse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And Dax boned Bones.

Actually Bashir being mentally augmented Philip J Fry would explain a surprising amount.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Has someone worked out which Dax is the one that boned Bones?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

Has someone worked out which Dax is the one that boned Bones?

It was Emony; Dax says so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone else use their phone screen as a light for walking around at night and hold it just like a palm beacon?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My phone has an actual flashlight

But yes

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Trials and Tribble-ations continues DS9's streak as The Horniest Trek.

I would have liked to see a serious discussion on whether Bashir needed to the nasty in the past-y though.

Oh god the next episode is a pleasure planet, and it turns out Curzon died from snu-snu.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Aw, apparently DC Fontana died

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

gently caress. Pouring out a glass of kanar for her. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU