Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thank you everyone.

Okay so I will go through the conventional modding experience of get a mod organizer and load order optimizing them.

I liked the steam mod manager. I’m bad at mod management so it was way faster even if a lot of the content didn’t make it.

there's no question about mod manager choice. use MO2.

this was almost defensible when Nexus Mod Manager was still receiving updates but there's not even support for it now. NMM's replacement Vortex is terrible because LOOT is terrible; it auto-sorts your plugins and does it very badly.

use mod organizer 2, it's actually pretty easy and doesn't take more than a couple minutes to start getting used to.

steam is the equivalent of just dropping them in data completely unmanaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
can mods make oblivion worthwhile?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

For certain definitions of worthwhile, yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh god I've been trying to figure out modding Oblivion. I found a mod pack that was very good argument against modpacks, then discovered Mod Organizer 2 doesn't really work with half the mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Oh god I've been trying to figure out modding Oblivion. I found a mod pack that was very good argument against modpacks, then discovered Mod Organizer 2 doesn't really work with half the mods.
Mod Organizer is great for Skyrim and later games. But it was never made to support poo poo like omod installer and whatnot.
If you want to play Oblivion, use OBMM.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raygereio posted:

Mod Organizer is great for Skyrim and later games. But it was never made to support poo poo like omod installer and whatnot.
If you want to play Oblivion, use OBMM.

It's just super annoying because I use MO2 for loving morrowind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Skyblivion is getting allegedly close to completion and might possibly be releasing next year, for what that's worth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

in the event that i end up buying it, should i get the deluxe version?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

if you mean GOTY i imagine thats the only version around these days unless you go to a vintage thrift shop

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Mods don't seem to be working.

Followed this guide (sans weird NSFW stuff and optional content).

I loaded a bunch of mods into it and LOOT and everything. But when I start a new game the mods don't work.

I'm not seeing any errors or stuff in MO2 or LOOT.

I will try the classic solution of restarting the computer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You're starting the game from within MO2, right? MO2 does a thing where it redirects the game to look in a separate folder for mods (to do as little damage to your base Skyrim install as possible and to enable multiple mod profiles), so if you launch Skyrim any other way than through MO2, it won't recognize that there are any mods installed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, dumb question but are you launching the game through Mod Organizer?

E. Beaten.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

if you mean GOTY i imagine thats the only version around these days unless you go to a vintage thrift shop

There’s goty and goty deluxe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's Legendary Edition which is GOTY, and Special Edition which is also GOTY, but in a 64-bit build.

Legendary Edition pros:
- Can run on only 4 gigs of RAM
- Can run on 32-bit Windows
- Can load old mods, such as from the Steam Workshop

Special Edition pros:
- Can use more than 4 gigs of RAM
- A lot more stable
- Actually still being sold

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
There's no reason to get any version of Skyrim other than SE or VR (which is also SE) at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was asking about Oblivion.

(I only have the non-SE version of Skyrim)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I was asking about Oblivion.
The GotY version gets you Knights of the Nine & Shivering Isles, which are the two DLCs with some actual meat to them.
The Deluxe version gets you in addition to the above all the various other crap Bethesda tried to sell for Oblivion. You know how "Horse Armor" has become synonymous with low-effort, overpriced DLC garbage? Congratulations, here's you chance to get yourself some actual horse armor.

None of the stuff the Deluxe version were worth the original price. But with the Steam sale the price difference is practically nothing, so up to you. For what it's worth, I don't think the Deluxe crap is a common requirement in mods. But it might be worth checking.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 30, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Some of the deluxe stuff is nice and the price difference is basically nothing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Go for Deluxe given that it's currently 70% off so the price difference is 1.5 bucks. The four themed houses are pretty cool-looking, the Mehrunes' Razor dungeon is nice, and the spell tomes let you summon a bear.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah it's not a big difference, I just need to know how much I'm going to spend ahead of time because I have no way of making online payments atm, so I need to buy steam credit.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's the hot new leveled list patcher for Special Edition, is it still Wrye Bash?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's the hot new leveled list patcher for Special Edition, is it still Wrye Bash?

Yes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Commander Keene posted:

You're starting the game from within MO2, right? MO2 does a thing where it redirects the game to look in a separate folder for mods (to do as little damage to your base Skyrim install as possible and to enable multiple mod profiles), so if you launch Skyrim any other way than through MO2, it won't recognize that there are any mods installed.

This was a great first guess by you and docbeard. I wasn't initially launching from MO2, but I am now!

New problem: Skyrim won't launch from MO2. Computer thinks for a bit and then nothing happens.

I did the following per https://forum.step-project.com/topic/12031-mo-wont-launch-skyrim-se/
Have you made the executables run as admin? I had a similar problem to this with vanilla Skyrim. Going into Properties->Compatibility->"Change settings for all users"->"Run As Administrator" for all the Skyrim .exe files is what I had to do. It's all because of stupid Windows UAC...[/quote]

Still nothing even though I changed both Skyrim and Steam.

Loot and MO2 itself seem fine and don't show any errors.

e: also I don't think I installed Wrye Bash.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 1, 2019

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

in the event that i end up buying it, should i get the deluxe version?

If you're talking about oblivion, I'd say yes, get the one that has all the little dlcs, they're pretty neat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Jizz Denouement, did you install MO2 or the game itself within a program files folder? You should install them outside, UAC is overly protective over them and can prevent necessary file edits from happening

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Jizz Denouement, did you install MO2 or the game itself within a program files folder? You should install them outside, UAC is overly protective over them and can prevent necessary file edits from happening

The modding stuff like MO2 and LOOT are in their own folder.

SkyrimSE was not!

A rookie mistake.

Let the uninstall and reinstall commence!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You never want to disable UAC either! It's a really important thing to have on your computer and saved me (well, alerted me... I still had to flatten and rebuild since av didn't catch poo poo) to a virus not a month or two ago.

I never had issues even with Skyrim installed in program files but it's easy enough to avoid so may as well really.

I don't have the patience to spend a few dozen hours redoing my 500 odd mod list so I'm just waiting till Lexy's wabbajack installer is back online.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

talking about UAC takes me back to the heady days of 2007, when all the forums recommended shutting down system-critical background programs to eke an extra .1 FPS out of a hideously broken Oblivion install

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The modding stuff like MO2 and LOOT are in their own folder.

SkyrimSE was not!

A rookie mistake.

Let the uninstall and reinstall commence!

Yeah sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't but moving Skyrim (and your Steam folder in general) out of Program Files will save you headaches in the long run.

Beyond that, if Skyrim isn't launching at all (or quickly launching and crashing), there are a few things that could be going on. Do you have SKSE installed and are you launching using that? Is the version of SKSE you're running the correct one for the version of Skyrim SE that you have, and are all your SKSE dependent mods right for that version? (This is tricky at the moment since there's been a Skyrim SE update pretty recently which means a new version of SKSE and some mods have been slow to update, and of course not every mod needs to because why should this be simple?)

The other thing to check is whether any of your mods have missing masters that they need. If you look at the plug-ins tab in MO it should tell you if this is the case.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh, theres a whole thread for modding, I was asking questions in some other skyrim thread.

So, it looks like when you set up a body every single man or every single woman is going to have that body. Is there any way to like, load in different body shapes for different races? Like could I conceivably go into bodyslide or whatever and make a really tall and whispy Altmer body and a strong and stocky Orc one and get them to load up on all the NPCs? I still dont quite get what Bodyslide does or how to get it to work, I opened the program up and was touching the model a bunch but can I like, save that only as a Breton model?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

docbeard posted:

Yeah sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't but moving Skyrim (and your Steam folder in general) out of Program Files will save you headaches in the long run.

Beyond that, if Skyrim isn't launching at all (or quickly launching and crashing), there are a few things that could be going on. Do you have SKSE installed and are you launching using that? Is the version of SKSE you're running the correct one for the version of Skyrim SE that you have, and are all your SKSE dependent mods right for that version? (This is tricky at the moment since there's been a Skyrim SE update pretty recently which means a new version of SKSE and some mods have been slow to update, and of course not every mod needs to because why should this be simple?)

The other thing to check is whether any of your mods have missing masters that they need. If you look at the plug-ins tab in MO it should tell you if this is the case.

Awesome. I suspect it has something to do with SKSE mods.

LOOT shows no errors or missing masters (I fixed an error and I don't see anything about missing masters).

Instead, when I try and run Skyrim or Skyrim launcher from MO2 I get:

[quote]Error
failed to spawn "SkyrimSELauncher.exe": failed to start process
(The directory name is invalid. [267])/quote]

Although both have the right directory in MO2.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

you may need to launch skyrim through steam once to set the registry settings and poo poo

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

After exiting SSE, Mod Organizer 2 still seems to think it's running (saying the virtualized version is still on). How do I remedy this?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Meme Emulator posted:

So, it looks like when you set up a body every single man or every single woman is going to have that body. Is there any way to like, load in different body shapes for different races?

Yes it's possible but you need a mod which targets different mesh paths for each race. I know these exist, but making your own probably isn't that hard either. Then you just build the appropriate body_0 and body_1 nifs with Bodyslide and put them where the mod expects them to be and there you go.

the real problem is clothing; that's all going to use the default vanilla shape without a lot more work (imagine the above process for all clothes in the game)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Awesome. I suspect it has something to do with SKSE mods.

LOOT shows no errors or missing masters (I fixed an error and I don't see anything about missing masters).

Instead, when I try and run Skyrim or Skyrim launcher from MO2 I get:

[quote]Error
failed to spawn "SkyrimSELauncher.exe": failed to start process
(The directory name is invalid. [267])/quote]

Although both have the right directory in MO2.
You should be launching SKSE (which then launches Skyrim) from MO2, is that also throwing errors?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Howdy all,

I decided to get into modding to play an Orc hunting party vs Giants play through.
When zoning to Windhelm to start the Pitfighter faction I get a CTD
Here is my Load Order, I tried to get it mostly right then tossed like 5 more things as the end.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i1G-_qcXczOLz-Rteu3pE0slEhLJNjieJ-a9xNpyEH8/edit?usp=sharing
If someone would be so kind as to review and tell me what should be above/below to resolve the Windhelm CTD or other optimizations that would be very helpful.

thanks!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh, theres a whole thread for modding, I was asking questions in some other skyrim thread.

So, it looks like when you set up a body every single man or every single woman is going to have that body. Is there any way to like, load in different body shapes for different races? Like could I conceivably go into bodyslide or whatever and make a really tall and whispy Altmer body and a strong and stocky Orc one and get them to load up on all the NPCs? I still dont quite get what Bodyslide does or how to get it to work, I opened the program up and was touching the model a bunch but can I like, save that only as a Breton model?

There was a mod for Oldrim that addressed this, had some punny name like Every Body's Different or some poo poo.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Psion posted:

Yes it's possible but you need a mod which targets different mesh paths for each race. I know these exist, but making your own probably isn't that hard either. Then you just build the appropriate body_0 and body_1 nifs with Bodyslide and put them where the mod expects them to be and there you go.

the real problem is clothing; that's all going to use the default vanilla shape without a lot more work (imagine the above process for all clothes in the game)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15257/

There is apparently an SE version that may or may not add tons of poo poo you don't want, but it exists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there a fear and loathing in nv style guide for oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Does anyone else have an issue with mouse wheel scrolling where scrolling will affect both Skyrim (SE) and other applications? I'll have Skyrim open on one monitor and a web browser open on another, and mouse scrolling my inventory in Skyrim will also scroll my web browser. Is that a Skyrim issue or a mod issue?