Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Lawful evil has definitely got to be the Scottish way - deep fry it, then the crusts are the best bit because they have the most batter on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

No one's talking about this freakishly glossy cake so I'm gonna take the bullet and ask what the hell

It’s an agar-agar (kind of jelly) cake. You can see a whole bunch of examples here - http://www.bakelicious.com.sg/jelly.html

They got kinda popular here a few years ago and honestly I love it when a parent gifts a jelly cake to the school, they’re freaking awesome to look at and way lighter then a normal cake.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

mania posted:

It’s an agar-agar (kind of jelly) cake. You can see a whole bunch of examples here - http://www.bakelicious.com.sg/jelly.html

They got kinda popular here a few years ago and honestly I love it when a parent gifts a jelly cake to the school, they’re freaking awesome to look at and way lighter then a normal cake.

Huh, cool. Do they taste like normal jello/jelly?

I’m surprised agar hasn’t become more popular in the states due to it being a vegetarian gelatin substitute. But I guess we don’t process a lot of seaweed so it’s probably expensive to import.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mania posted:

Considering how many attempt/fail pictures are in here, I thought something weird happened. I didn't even know these kinds of cakes existed so I assumed it was another normal one gone wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I’m surprised agar hasn’t become more popular in the states due to it being a vegetarian gelatin substitute. But I guess we don’t process a lot of seaweed so it’s probably expensive to import.

Taste depends entirely on what you do with it, the agar has no flavor. It's essentially identical to gelatin except that agar stays stable at room temperature better, there's no need to refrigerate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fun fact: you know those petri dishes they grow bacteria on and stuff? That's agar.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I make matcha agar jelly which is really good to eat with ice cream as a nice light desert.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

spankmeister posted:

Fun fact: you know those petri dishes they grow bacteria on and stuff? That's agar.

for clarity: the substrate the bacteria grows on, not the bacteria itself

Now I want to see some goofy plating of an agar jelly desert in a petri dish with something sprinkled on top to make it look... inoculated.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Agar is harder then normal jello, there’s more of a bite to it, but it’s not chewy like konnyaku.

And like Grand Formage says the taste depends on what you put in it. For the cakes though, it’s usually made with pandan leaves and coconut milk so there’s a nice fragrant sweet taste to it.

It’s deffo weird the first time you see a jelly cake when you’re expecting the usual kind of cakes - they can look weirdly unreal if the outer layer is opaque, almost like a toy.

Edit: A couple of agar agar cakes I’ve eaten:

mania has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Nov 30, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Now I want to see some goofy plating of an agar jelly desert in a petri dish with something sprinkled on top to make it look... inoculated.

Make it artificial grape flavored for extra wrongness, because that's exactly what a Pseudomonas aeruginosa culture smells like.

I got this bottled pina colada smoothie after work the other day, and then almost couldn't drink it after I noticed it looked exactly like a particularly nasty urine specimen I'd just dealt with.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Nov 30, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WITCHCRAFT posted:

for clarity: the substrate the bacteria grows on, not the bacteria itself

I mean, find the right pairing of edible mold and agar that's palatable to humans, and you could straight up grow your goofy dessert.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

No pizza rules, but how 'bout pizza alignments?

This is a poo poo chart because lawful good and chaotic evil are the two correct opinions.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Another agar dessert is raindrop cakes, but those are softer and don't last nearly as long as the more solid dishes. Great to look at, though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Part agar part normal cake is p good imo, altho that's hard to find

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I've used agar for vegan jello shots and they turned out pretty good, though the texture is definitely different.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

What is that incredibly shiny gunk poured on that California Veggie Mix pizza?

Null of Undefined posted:

I've used agar for vegan jello shots and they turned out pretty good, though the texture is definitely different.

You can lower the amount of agar to get the result closer to jello.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The veggie pizza jizz looks like melted slices of processed Swiss or some other plastic white cheese.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Matcha tastes like dirt

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You named your dick "Tcha"?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

McSpergin posted:

Matcha tastes like dirt
how much dirt water did it take to reach this conclusion

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Pu-erh from a compressed brick smells and tastes like damp earth.

Great stuff, would definitely recommend. Not at all bitter, almost faintly sweet. Smelling the leaves after brewing is super satisfying.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:effort:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Congrats, I am nauseated for the first time itt.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

m-m-maybe

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

gschmidl posted:

Congrats, I am nauseated for the first time itt.

What is this? I don't think its the mango pudding Google Image Search says it is.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

That actually looks edible though, unlike all the other monstrosities itt

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dienes posted:

What is this? I don't think its the mango pudding Google Image Search says it is.

It looks like someone threw up into oversized balut.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fools Infinite posted:

Great stuff, would definitely recommend. Not at all bitter, almost faintly sweet. Smelling the leaves after brewing is super satisfying.

I think I just need to start eating dirt. I love earthy flavors. I love pu-erh, matcha, beets and pretty much all root vegetables, mushrooms, muddy wild caught catfish, legumes, or any flavor that evokes earthiness. When I still drank, my absolute liquid heaven was a 30 year Laphroaig, but any Islay scotch was lovely and the more peat flavor, the better.

I guess I could save money and just start eating potting soil.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mushika posted:

I think I just need to start eating dirt. I love earthy flavors. I love pu-erh, matcha, beets and pretty much all root vegetables, mushrooms, muddy wild caught catfish, legumes, or any flavor that evokes earthiness. When I still drank, my absolute liquid heaven was a 30 year Laphroaig, but any Islay scotch was lovely and the more peat flavor, the better.

I guess I could save money and just start eating potting soil.

Have you tried Fentiman’s Dandelion & Burdock soda? It does have sweetness to it, being a soda, of course, but it is rather earthy for a soda too. I like it quite a bit, it’s different.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Have you tried Fentiman’s Dandelion & Burdock soda? It does have sweetness to it, being a soda, of course, but it is rather earthy for a soda too. I like it quite a bit, it’s different.

I have not, but upon searching, I think I may be able to find it near me. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to try it!

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://twitter.com/ly_rone/status/1201094781218123776

This 'one pan' thing is going to end cooking for me.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Fools Infinite posted:

I can attest to this. There are three different bricks in my kitchen right now. Pu erh is amazing, absolutely amazing. After my son introduced me to it, I bought a purple clay teapot just for it, no other teas are brewed in that pot. It also astounds me that it can be used for multiple delicious but different brewings.

And when the leaves are truly expended, we do that old Victorian thing of using them to clean the carpet before composting them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I started drinking lapsang souchong years ago because my friend accidentally sold me on it by explaining how disgusting he thought it was. It does taste like a forest fire smells, and I love it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I used to really like pu ehr, but these days I'm pretty much off caffeine. I don't think I've ever seen decaf pu ehr.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rollersnake posted:

I started drinking lapsang souchong years ago because my friend accidentally sold me on it by explaining how disgusting he thought it was. It does taste like a forest fire smells, and I love it.

It smells like a side of bacon (at least the Tarry), and I too love it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Never heard of it either.

Pu'er is great. I got to try some nice aged stuff a couple times. Since it's compressed and fermented pu'er gets better with age and there's a whole market for very old cakes of it. And for someone who doesn't drink a ton of tea like me it's nice because I don't have to rush to drink it while it's good like with green.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

what is nestle ninho and how can it be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

what is nestle ninho and how can it be stopped

Powdered whole milk, apparently.
https://www.amazon.com/Nestl%C3%A9-Ninho-Integral-Instant%C3%A2neo-Instant/dp/B00FQLP3O6