Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

Customer surveys everywhere. Calling a helpdesk and getting 2 email reminders to fill out their satisfaction form. Suck my dick. You dont get to quantify that, just be polite and use common sense and your service will be good. Never fill these out.

Also never fill them out because they are a trap used by employers to fire employees. Anything less than perfect 5* across the board will get the survey's subject reprimanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Also never fill them out because they are a trap used by employers to fire employees. Anything less than perfect 5* across the board will get the survey's subject reprimanded.

Having worked a(n admittedly cushier than average) job that worked on this system, that's why I always fill them out and give them 5* down the list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

Having worked a(n admittedly cushier than average) job that worked on this system, that's why I always fill them out and give them 5* down the list.

You’ve gotta be careful with that, though, the one place I worked at would have people leave all five’s... which was the low end of the scale, with one being the highest. At least if we were getting bitched at for it we could usually point to the comments and be like “why would they give us a bottom score and then say how helpful we were?”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“why would they give us a bottom score and then say how helpful we were?”

a question that has plagued amazon/yelp reviews forever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do men trying to look good in photos never smile? It looks better than trying to smoulder like you’re a model.

Lots of dudes end up just looking braindead. Eyes half open, mouth half open, looking blankly to the side.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do men trying to look good in photos never smile? It looks better than trying to smoulder like you’re a model.

Lots of dudes end up just looking braindead. Eyes half open, mouth half open, looking blankly to the side.

The opposite of this is dudes who never shut their goddamn mouths in photos. You know that :imunfunny: face? They do that. And it loving sucks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I never smile in photos because I have some nerve damage that gives me a crooked-ish smile. It's actually kind of hard to notice but I'm pretty self-concious about it. I do at least keep my drat mouth closed in photos though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

The opposite of this is dudes who never shut their goddamn mouths in photos. You know that :imunfunny: face? They do that. And it loving sucks

Also keep your drat tongue in your mouth.

I like the photos we have to take at work/for passports etc where the old lady scolds people who smile. You don't have to worry if you look good or bad, you just look neutral, which is appropriate for how i'm feeling at work - I'm not miserable but i'm certainly not having a good time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People with hair that frequently falls in front of their eyes. It's not so much a thing with people I see in person but there are, for some reason, a lot of people on YouTube with haircuts that just seem like they must driving them insane. If you're brushing your hair out of your face sixteen times a minute, how is that not the most annoying thing in the entire loving world? How are you putting up with that? Just watching you do it makes me feel like I need to tie my own hair back, and my hair doesn't even do that! Get a hair tie!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I loathe posing for pictures so i just make a wry, one side of my mouth curled up, furrowed eyebrow smile

I mean, it's not like I ever smile more than that anyway, my emotional register goes from "this is complete poo poo" all the way up to "that's pretty cool I guess".

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
The common thread about smiling in photos is "people doing something that is not their natural smile," I think. The best pictures and the ones that last are the ones that show people being genuine, with their natural, not put-on or stagey, smiles. Or who naturally smile with a twist or not smiling at all, if a person genuinely isn't smiley.

Fwiw, crooked smiles are the most wonderful things. A lot of really beautiful people have lopsided smiles, and the lopsidedness is exactly what makes them beautiful. They are interesting and unique and nobody else in the world has the exact same one, and I love to see them and they make me happy.

So I guess my pet peeve is that society somehow makes people feel like their natural smile isn't good enough. Bah humbug on that.

TofuDiva has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Dec 1, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i have bad teeth and an ugly face and i've seen pictures of myself smiling vs not smiling and i ruin the photograph less if i don't smile, tbh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Somehow my roommate just Kramers into everything I stash, it's very annoying

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

Somehow my roommate just Kramers into everything I stash, it's very annoying

My wife is like this. I'm more likely to hide something by putting it in a prominent, well-lit spot with a note that says "notice this"! That may as well be phased out of our plane.

Stuffing presents/surprises for her in a dark corner of the attic that she hasn't gone up to in two years, behind some ancient box? Chances are she'll have had a prophetic dream that something of dire importance remains within that abandoned box, and she'll go on an immediate and unspoken hunt upon waking.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When managers jump down your throat the one time you screw up. Who cares if you did it right for a solid year, if you are 12 hours late once, you get the browbeating lecture as if you just starting working here. I loving know I should have, relax, I'm doing it now.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When managers jump down your throat the one time you screw up. Who cares if you did it right for a solid year, if you are 12 hours late once, you get the browbeating lecture as if you just starting working here. I loving know I should have, relax, I'm doing it now.

this but replace 'managers' with 'dads'

:sigh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PEOPLE THAT GO TO SELF CHECKOUTS BUT CANT USE THEM

Jesus if you need to call the attendant over for instructions like “ok press search for produce... now hit the picture of the banana...” just get in a loving regular line you absolute boomer

I’d pay a small fee for a grocery membership where the store kicked out self-checkout morons, aisle-blocking assholes, people that stop dead in their tracks in walkways, etc

E: also your kid getting to “help” check out is not worth holding up the dozen+ people behind you

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Dec 2, 2019

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Self checkouts that can't be used. Today I learned that sugar can't be sold there (because ... who knows, it didn't say) so it has to call somebody. Additionally they didn't honour the weekly flyer sales. No wonder everybody was in the regular line.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus if you need to call the attendant over for instructions like “ok press search for produce... now hit the picture of the banana...” just get in a loving regular line you absolute boomer

I’d pay a small fee for a grocery membership where the store kicked out self-checkout morons, aisle-blocking assholes, people that stop dead in their tracks in walkways, etc

E: also your kid getting to “help” check out is not worth holding up the dozen+ people behind you

Grocery stores need something like the TSA pre check program. You prove you know what you're doing and you get special privileges and don't have to deal with the idiots who expect their apple to have a barcode on it and get confused when it won't ring up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

the idiots who expect their apple to have a barcode on it and get confused when it won't ring up.

I bought an apple through the self-checkout the other day. It had a barcode and rang up just fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I bought an apple through the self-checkout the other day. It had a barcode and rang up just fine.

In most places produce has a number on it, not a barcode. It's not hard, you just put the things on the thing and type in the number and it weighs the things.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Depends ime on if it's a by-weight item or sold by item/in a pre-weighed bag

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In most places produce has a number on it, not a barcode. It's not hard, you just put the things on the thing and type in the number and it weighs the things.

There's no reason why they couldn't have barcodes though, and it would make the process a lot simpler and lead to fewer delays. Why try to teach every single customer multiple systems when you could just use one system for everything? It's not the customer's fault that it's more complicated than it needs to be. They're not idiots for expecting every product to have a barcode because every product should have a barcode.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

There's no reason why they couldn't have barcodes though, and it would make the process a lot simpler and lead to fewer delays. Why try to teach every single customer multiple systems when you could just use one system for everything? It's not the customer's fault that it's more complicated than it needs to be. They're not idiots for expecting every product to have a barcode because every product should have a barcode.

the logistics behind sticking a barcode sticker on every individual piece of produce?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best of both worlds

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It seems like a waste since produce can't be uniform weight, like you scan it and then weigh it, scan it and then weigh it...how is that better than typing an easy to find number and weighing a bunch at once?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It seems like a waste since produce can't be uniform weight, like you scan it and then weigh it, scan it and then weigh it...how is that better than typing an easy to find number and weighing a bunch at once?

You don't scan the apples individually, you just scan one at the start and then put them all on.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Some produce at my old store did this. It was a godsend for the one of 5 different, nearly identical apples we had in stock that month.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Finland you just weigh the produce when you collect them way before checkout and get a barcode sticker. Is that not how it's done in other countries?

The self-checkouts here don't have a scale at all.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Dec 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

In Finland you just weigh the produce when you collect them way before checkout and get a barcode sticker. Is that not how it's done in other countries?

The self-checkouts here don't have a scale at all.

In the US there's that at some places, not just for produce but for stuff like coffee beans as well, and it's hella easy to scam. Get your sticker and then chuck in some more, but not enough to be conspicuous, into the bag.

I have done this often and I feel no shame or regret.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Dec 2, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the US there's that at some places, not just for produce but for stuff like coffee beans as well, and it's hella easy to scam. Get your sticker and then chuck in some more, but not enough to be conspicuous, into the bag.

I have done this often and I feel no shame or regret.

Well yeah but barely anyone cares enough steal basic cheap foodstuff so it's not like it's much of loss for the store

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Well yeah but barely anyone cares enough steal basic cheap foodstuff

If you say so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you say so

I don't think pretty much every store in Finland would do it this way if there was a massive stealing epidemic going on because of it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Besides, it's not exactly difficult to steal from any form of self-checkout.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

I don't think pretty much every store in Finland would do it this way if there was a massive stealing epidemic going on because of it

Yeah I'm not saying there's a mass "stealing epidemic", but lol people are absolutely doing it all the time, it just doesn't cost the stores enough to do anything about.

e: if you're equally as square as Tiggum then you are really doing something wrong

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Dec 2, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

My wife is like this. I'm more likely to hide something by putting it in a prominent, well-lit spot with a note that says "notice this"! That may as well be phased out of our plane.

Stuffing presents/surprises for her in a dark corner of the attic that she hasn't gone up to in two years, behind some ancient box? Chances are she'll have had a prophetic dream that something of dire importance remains within that abandoned box, and she'll go on an immediate and unspoken hunt upon waking.

It's partially my fault since the item that brought about this peeve reminder was in the common area, because I could easily hide things in my room, but I figured behind a couple things on top of the refrigerator was a good place to hide the packing tape on Saturday, only to find it gone on Sunday when I needed it. The bigger problem is she has a habit of not having a regular sleep schedule, so it seems like she's sleeping every time I'm looking for something she has "put away."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ugh, yeah, a week ago I came across someone that stopped their cart in the middle of an intersection that prevented anyone from getting around it. How hard is it to cross the intersection and park your cart against a shelf so people can at least get around while you're looking at the endcap?

I get wanting your kids to help you, but at least wait until they're old enough that you should be teaching them how to do these things, like 12 years old. The only person it's cute to when they're 6 is you.

Also, children in stores are the worst! I know I can't say that about all of them, but I swear it's the unruly ones and the parents who just don't care that they're running up and down aisles and generally becoming an environmental hazards that ruin it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Grocery stores need something like the TSA pre check program. You prove you know what you're doing and you get special privileges and don't have to deal with the idiots who expect their apple to have a barcode on it and get confused when it won't ring up.

I would gladly pay a fee for this.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

CJacobs posted:

I've been a manager at many many places. We never used a survey to fire someone. Only for feedback to get better.

MN is at-will. You can fire someone for no reason any time you want. You need to have cause. I worked for one place where upper management would have us fire staff like we were reaping wheat. Constant hire/fire cycle. Constant pipe-lining. Never needed to show cause of any sort.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mostlygray posted:

I've been a manager at many many places. We never used a survey to fire someone. Only for feedback to get better.

MN is at-will. You can fire someone for no reason any time you want. You need to have cause. I worked for one place where upper management would have us fire staff like we were reaping wheat. Constant hire/fire cycle. Constant pipe-lining. Never needed to show cause of any sort.

My first job in my "career" had a CFO who at every monthly all-hands meeting would remind us that she could fire anyone at any time for any reason. The only time you'd ever see her smile was when she was either about to fire someone or had fired someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
in my industry ppl are routinely paid minimum wage and promised "performance bases bonuses" which turn out to be based not on throughput or other measurable things which can actually be affected by the person, but on getting all 10s on customer surveys and if your average drops below 9 you get $0 so anyone who believes they were gonna get more than minimum wage was fooled lql. end surveys tbh and especially end using them as a metric to discipline employees