Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Are there any good guides for basic cruiser builds? Or is it basically just stack beam arrays and call it a day?

I tried to google a guide and saw one with all fore cannons and aft beam arrays and I couldn't figure out how that could make sense.

Fire cannons and aft beam arrays is not any setup that I’m familiar with.

The generally recognised ‘right’ approaches are all beam arrays and using the highest rank of Beam: Fire at Will that your ship can support, or cannons up front and turrets in the back, slotting the highest rank you can of Cannon: Scatter Volley.

Once you’ve got your head around that, you can quite easily add a torpedo as well. This works particularly well for cannon ships, and can have hilarious results - there’s a great torpedo from the Dyson reputation that spits out multiple gravity well-like hazards if you use it with Torpedo: Spread, or there’s a free rapid fire missile launcher you can use with Spread to do a full-on Robotech missile swarm.

At more advanced levels, you can look and doing weird poo poo like all torpedo builds, using the Miracle Worker ability Mixed Armament Synergy to mix beams, cannons and torpedoes or running an all turret ship and becoming a Battlestar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If your ship has a turn of at least 7 or 8 and has 3 aft weapon slots, you could go with DBBs in front and two omnis plus cutting beam in back. Otherwise go general beam arrays. Maybe just go general beam arrays anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The best thing that could happen is STO shut down and a good company pick up the Trek license and make good Trek games

Currently at approximately one "acceptable" trekkie game per decade. STO for this one (yeah I know right?), Elite Force for the previous one and finally EGAtrek for the 90s. The last one wasn't even an official game and the author had to re-release and strip out the trek lingo because of obvious legal issues that reared their head.

So... yeah who knows. Vaguely due for a new one I suppose.

... maybe there was an RTS or something at some point, I have no idea because I pay no attention to that genre apart from original Red Alert and Dark Reign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always thought before they poo poo the bed that Star Trek was the perfect candidate for Telltale.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Beam Overload got a buff a few months ago and is actually good now, I quite like it, even with arrays on a cruiser. Or perhaps because of beam arrays on a cruiser

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Beam Overload got a buff a few months ago and is actually good now, I quite like it, even with arrays on a cruiser. Or perhaps because of beam arrays on a cruiser

Yeah Overload is nice these days, if you line it up right it'll melt a lot of things.

And the closest we've gotten to any other sort of Star trek game lately is the big mod for Sins of a Solar Empire that puts Armada ships into it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
FYI per borticus on twitter there is now in effect an UNPLANNED Phoenix box event. "The current PHOENIX run is an attempt to help the health of the DZE. We’re looking into additional options as well."

So if you need Phoenix upgrades now would be the time.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MREBoy posted:

FYI per borticus on twitter there is now in effect an UNPLANNED Phoenix box event. "The current PHOENIX run is an attempt to help the health of the DZE. We’re looking into additional options as well."

So if you need Phoenix upgrades now would be the time.

The Phoenix Prize Pack Returns! 2019-11-25
30% Ship Sale! 2019-11-25
2019 Black Friday Sale 2019-11-22

Ya im sure its gonna really help with the dilex lol.

Year or so ago they started always putting c-store sales on when they did phoenix boxes so that the phoenix box wouldn't push the dilex down as much.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Wow probably one of the best deals they put on the C-Store.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Rx King posted:

Do these still break ship packs?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Are Phasers still the go-to damage type for all ships, or is there something that would be better for a sci-boat for whatever reason?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hunter Noventa posted:

Are Phasers still the go-to damage type for all ships, or is there something that would be better for a sci-boat for whatever reason?

Sci boats make great torpedo spammers

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sci boats make great torpedo spammers

They do. The Particle Emission torpedo scales with your EPG skill I think, as does the Dyson rep torpedo.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

They do. The Particle Emission torpedo scales with your EPG skill I think, as does the Dyson rep torpedo.

Right, I was going to get the Dyson Rep Torp...and I guess I can look into making the PEP. But you have to have some beams right?

EDIT: Or just buy this Ultra Rare PEP someone put on the exchange for 1.9mil. That had to be a mistake.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 29, 2019

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Right, I was going to get the Dyson Rep Torp...and I guess I can look into making the PEP. But you have to have some beams right?

Nah, there’s more than enough equipment and traits to make torpedos your main load out.

Here’s a recent example build: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/d20c0q/uss_seraph_205k_exoticepg_eternal/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hunter Noventa posted:

EDIT: Or just buy this Ultra Rare PEP someone put on the exchange for 1.9mil. That had to be a mistake.

I run my JH Dreadnought carrier with all forward slots as toros, and a couple omnis in back, one of which is for a set bonus

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

Nah, there’s more than enough equipment and traits to make torpedos your main load out.

Here’s a recent example build: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/d20c0q/uss_seraph_205k_exoticepg_eternal/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Yeah, that definitely requires a bit higher budget than I can put into it, I've been more or less working from this build- https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/9pu8mr/space_magic_and_you_weys_guide_to_epg_in_the/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rx King posted:

Be careful. When MMO cash shops start becoming crazy good deals (relatively speaking) it usually means things are in freefall or terminal decline. It's your money of course.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DancingShade posted:

Be careful. When MMO cash shops start becoming crazy good deals (relatively speaking) it usually means things are in freefall or terminal decline. It's your money of course.

The very idea of Mudd's Market, and the fact they are incentivizing people to play via free ships via back to back to back events doesn't bode well

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I picked up a Maquis Raider for the experimental weapon and console.

The ex weapon graphics are really bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Winter Wonderland details are up.

If you're weak, you no longer have to do the race for ship progress.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's a nice change for the handful of physically disabled people who play the game at least.

As for every other pubbie who somehow failed over and over... :ughh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Even if you're good (or merely capable) at it, that race becomes impossible if there's any rubber-banding lag in your connection.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I can't tell from the Wiki- will you be able to buy some of the old Winter Wonderland items? Particularly the Breen warp core for the set?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Trip report: set up a fleet Nova with the notes from that reddit article

Results: :science:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Trip report: set up a fleet Nova with the notes from that reddit article

Results: :science:

That's what I'll be doing with the Mirror Nova (it was cheaper) until I built up enough Fleet Modules to get a real science ship.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I haven't spent money on this game in years lol. I'm a crazy gently caress who has a max toon farm account.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder if you can make a counterfeit Thot Trell with this outfit on a Gorn...

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rx King posted:

I haven't spent money on this game in years lol. I'm a crazy gently caress who has a max toon farm account.

I could probably do this but it seems like a lot of effort for a bad game

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

I could probably do this but it seems like a lot of effort for a bad game

It's not too bad since it's just all admiralty and turning in Contraband. I've always been the type of person who likes to farm poo poo in MMOs and play the exchange. I like to give away stuff to fellow goons since I rarely use anything these days.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Rx King posted:

Two of my friends gave me one of these a piece and I have no idea what to use them on. I liked the Shram from that breast cancer donation pack, and I am also currently really digging the Earhart.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Maggy posted:

Two of my friends gave me one of these a piece and I have no idea what to use them on. I liked the Shram from that breast cancer donation pack, and I am also currently really digging the Earhart.

That one battlecruiser for the trait (Arbiter?). I still don't have it so, it's probably what my event T6 coupon is going towards

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Why yes, that is the tip of a rather large iceberg of fanfic about Nikola Tesla winding up in the 25th century and becoming a Starfleet captain.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Why yes, that is the tip of a rather large iceberg of fanfic about Nikola Tesla winding up in the 25th century and becoming a Starfleet captain.

I think Edison is more the type to name their ship after themselves.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Apparently when you earn the event tier-6 coupon, it doesn't reset? I thought that was part of the gimmick of the recent event tab revamp, that you had the current event, and then a long term, recurring ability to earn free tier-6 ships?

Not really a complaint, but not sure what's intended then...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Apparently when you earn the event tier-6 coupon, it doesn't reset? I thought that was part of the gimmick of the recent event tab revamp, that you had the current event, and then a long term, recurring ability to earn free tier-6 ships?

Not really a complaint, but not sure what's intended then...

It resets when the event campaign Cryptic has set up ended, I think. Cryptic isn't expecting players to do the event every day. I think the third event in the campaign is the winter wonderland.

Also, the launcher not working for anyone else this morning? It's getting stuck after I put in my password.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 1, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

Checking the info on 3 foot tall child-like things in Drozana is loving cheat mode for this.

Physically a child, specifically a barely pubescent child? Check

Technically an adult so you can get offended when I call you a sick pedo gently caress? Check

Retain their child-like outlook so that even though it's technically a 250 year old demon alien trapped in a barely pubescent body it still has the mental outlook and mannerisms of the 13 year old that you really want to bone? Check

Very low fertility part of the backstory, so presumably their species has to gently caress a whole lot? Check.

Gonna go take a shower and scrub till my skin comes off now.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Checking the info on 3 foot tall child-like things in Drozana is loving cheat mode for this.

Physically a child, specifically a barely pubescent child? Check

Technically an adult so you can get offended when I call you a sick pedo gently caress? Check

Retain their child-like outlook so that even though it's technically a 250 year old demon alien trapped in a barely pubescent body it still has the mental outlook and mannerisms of the 13 year old that you really want to bone? Check

Very low fertility part of the backstory, so presumably their species has to gently caress a whole lot? Check.

Gonna go take a shower and scrub till my skin comes off now.

What the gently caress? I'm seriously afraid to know what is on that guy's computer...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Creep misspelled Eloi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Creep misspelled Ewok