Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
For those of you who play the board game, are late electronics good enough that an ECM suite is worthwhile? It always seemed to me like a special case answer to a special case, but I guess if *everyone* is rolling with C3...

e: pulling over this post from last page

Conquest7706 posted:

I stumbled across something I haven't been able to find any discussion or answers to.

I know that active Stealth Armor prevents C3 from functioning, since it treats the stealth'ed unit "as if it were under the effects of enemy ECM".

Now the Improved Communications design quirk.. allows a unit with the quirk to ignore the effects of enemy ECM, or the first level of ECM, with the caveat that it won't cut through Angel ECM.

So what happens if you have active Stealth and a C3 Slave on a mech with the Improved Comms design quirk? Does it cut through its own imposed ECM and function? Or is it still blocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
ECM is very important for cutting C3, but also affects Artemis IV and Narc. Angel ECM will cut through Streak and Artemis V, too.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Conquest7706 posted:

Now the Improved Communications design quirk.. allows a unit with the quirk to ignore the effects of enemy ECM, or the first level of ECM, with the caveat that it won't cut through Angel ECM.

So what happens if you have active Stealth and a C3 Slave on a mech with the Improved Comms design quirk? Does it cut through its own imposed ECM and function? Or is it still blocked?

Improved Comms no longer has the effect you're listing, because it was broken as all hell as a freebie and somewhat anachronistic to boot, considering the mechs that had it. See the Battlemech Manual or the free quirk updated posted on the official forums for the current (and much less impressive) text.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Strobe posted:

ECM is very important for cutting C3, but also affects Artemis IV and Narc. Angel ECM will cut through Streak and Artemis V, too.

These are definitely nice to have, but of all the systems ECM counters it seems like C3 is the only one that really goes beyond ‘some slight marginal bonuses.’ Makes you wonder why the Raven was such a big deal when the Combine and the CapCon don’t even share a border!

I guess this is partly because Battletech doesn’t do the slightest bit to model radio comms or datalinks. A Raven would be a lot more important if it could cut you off from your scout lance/artillery/ASFs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

These are definitely nice to have, but of all the systems ECM counters it seems like C3 is the only one that really goes beyond ‘some slight marginal bonuses.’ Makes you wonder why the Raven was such a big deal when the Combine and the CapCon don’t even share a border!

I think you're really underselling Artemis IV, but also, it was important because they were slowly rediscovering Star League-quality electronics that hadn't been in production for 200 years.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's also because the things ECM does that are really useful don't frequently come into play in pickup games. ECM also jams active probes, which prevents hidden units from being revealed unexpectedly. There's an optional rule for active probes to cancel a point of woods penalty to shooting if the target is within probe range, and that can be a big deal.

Finally, the Ghost Targets rule is really irritating in practice but allows a unit to use its ECM to generate a concrete defensive bonus against attacks from other Mechs and vehicles.

Mostly, though, it's C3. And C3 is important enough when it does enter play that cutting it, one way or another, is likely to be a decisive moment in a game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Also what DI said. Artemis IV on LRMs either boosts damage by drat near a third (9 -> 12 on an LRM-15; 12 -> 16 on an LRM-20) or cuts launcher weight for equivalent effective damage by 20% (10 -> 8 tons for an LRM-20 -> LRM-15 w/Artemis) and extending ammo by a third for free.

It's good poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

It's also because the things ECM does that are really useful don't frequently come into play in pickup games. ECM also jams active probes, which prevents hidden units from being revealed unexpectedly. There's an optional rule for active probes to cancel a point of woods penalty to shooting if the target is within probe range, and that can be a big deal.

Finally, the Ghost Targets rule is really irritating in practice but allows a unit to use its ECM to generate a concrete defensive bonus against attacks from other Mechs and vehicles.

Mostly, though, it's C3. And C3 is important enough when it does enter play that cutting it, one way or another, is likely to be a decisive moment in a game.

I also think that MegaMek showed people more ways to use ECM systems just because it made double-blind games easier to play*, and since they cancel out BAPs, that's a pretty big edge.

*Holy poo poo there was no way I was doing that on my own.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catalyst finally sent out the confirmation for Kickstarter rewards, if anyone else here is backing Clan Invasion

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I have no loving idea what faction coin to get, or what pack to pick. This Kickstarter was a bad idea. Maybe I'll be lazy and pick Wolf's dragoons

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jarvisi posted:

I have no loving idea what faction coin to get, or what pack to pick. This Kickstarter was a bad idea. Maybe I'll be lazy and pick Wolf's dragoons

I'm ending up with three sets of faction gear, send help.

Free Worlds League, Clan Jade Falcon, and Clan Snow Raven. If there was a Republic of the Sphere pack it'd be four. :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took Clan Jade Falcon for everything and the Scorpion clan for the dice so I can gloat when I headshot someone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That whole thing they said about how, if you don't need the beginner's box or any of the main packages you can just buy some of the extras ala carte turned out to be a lie. So I have this balance and it won't let me spend it on anything.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Decided to go with a full set of Coyote.

I added on the Alpha Strike Commander set with the leftover credit from my package.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ice Hellions 4 lyfe

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It’s going to take forever to remember what all the options are and pick out a force.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ice Hellions 4 lyfe

:hmmyes:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

That whole thing they said about how, if you don't need the beginner's box or any of the main packages you can just buy some of the extras ala carte turned out to be a lie. So I have this balance and it won't let me spend it on anything.

That doesn't sound right. PM through Kickstarter for questions and concerns. It sounds like you might have hit a bug (since Daryk isn't screaming bloody murder on the BT Boards I assume it's working for at least some people correctly).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is Wave 2 supposed to ship?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

When is Wave 2 supposed to ship?

They haven't specified but the kickstarter expects "late 2020"

Ono
Feb 8, 2012

Strobe posted:

That doesn't sound right. PM through Kickstarter for questions and concerns. It sounds like you might have hit a bug (since Daryk isn't screaming bloody murder on the BT Boards I assume it's working for at least some people correctly).

Running into the same issue:

My only option is to "donate" the extra.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ono posted:

My only option is to "donate" the extra.

What it looks like it's asking is: "Would you like to give us your money for nothing?"

What it's actually asking is: "Would you like a refund for the excess, or would you like to put your money towards something?"

If you click 'Donate' it will take you to the add-ons and any add-ons you decide to purchase should come out of your surplus first before they charge you for anything.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 15, 2019

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Well I had to get the additional Urbie mini and some more IS mechs. I'd love to have the Urbie plushie but I think 40 bucks is a bit too much and indicates it is larger than what I expected.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sparq posted:

Well I had to get the additional Urbie mini and some more IS mechs. I'd love to have the Urbie plushie but I think 40 bucks is a bit too much and indicates it is larger than what I expected.

I thought everyone gets an urbie for free? Do you really need two?????

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Urbie Company minimum.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The most damage per tonnage (and per BV for that matter) I've ever seen is when I spectated a Megamek company on company match where one player took a lance of UM-AIVs (Urbanmech with Arrow IV and 2 tons of ammo for it) and a bunch of taggers. Those 4 mechs did most of the game's damage all by themselves while standing still in a corner of the map.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ice Hellions 4 lyfe

That's not 4 very long

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I went with scorpions and burrocks

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Jarvisi posted:

I thought everyone gets an urbie for free? Do you really need two?????

You need two urbies to stack one over the other.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I have no clue what to get for my Star Colonel pledge. Looking for a relatively even mix of Clan and IS. Any suggestions pack wise? Also isn't getting IS packs better bang for your buck wise as you get the free salvage box(clan mech) if chosen as a non-add on?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I have no clue what to get for my Star Colonel pledge. Looking for a relatively even mix of Clan and IS. Any suggestions pack wise? Also isn't getting IS packs better bang for your buck wise as you get the free salvage box(clan mech) if chosen as a non-add on?

You get the free salvage box because the IS packs have 4 mechs while the clan packs have 5, so it’s a wash on a per model basis.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Trifecta posted:

The real bang for your buck would be the ComStar level IIs, which get you six mechs each.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pussy Cartel posted:

The real bang for your buck would be the ComStar level IIs, which get you six mechs each.

Also made of Star League mechs, which are the MOST universal machines.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there a lot of hidden information in Battletech games? I’m wondering how soloable it would be for a weirdo like me who can happily chill and play both sides of an ASL SK scenario. Alternatively, is there any kind of scene around the Twin Cities? I’d assume there’s something SOMEWHERE but on the other hand I haunt tons of local game shops on the reg and the only place I’ve actually seen Battletech products in person is Barnes&Noble.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a lot of hidden information in Battletech games? I’m wondering how soloable it would be for a weirdo like me who can happily chill and play both sides of an ASL SK scenario. Alternatively, is there any kind of scene around the Twin Cities? I’d assume there’s something SOMEWHERE but on the other hand I haunt tons of local game shops on the reg and the only place I’ve actually seen Battletech products in person is Barnes&Noble.

From reading PTN's Battltech thread(s) for some time, I don't think there's a lot of hidden information aside from LoS stuff that is similar to concealment from ASL

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unless you are playing double blind or deploying units as hidden, you're really not concealing anything.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unless you are playing double blind or deploying units as hidden, you're really not concealing anything.

Sure but the way PTN does it sees units being invisible until they have LoS, which isn't the same as HIP in ASL. I didn't mean it would give them a defensive bonus. My bad :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Screw it, I saw the PDFs were on sale for like ten bucks or less each so I grabbed Total War and the Battlemech Manual in addition to the starter box I picked up today.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure but the way PTN does it sees units being invisible until they have LoS, which isn't the same as HIP in ASL. I didn't mean it would give them a defensive bonus. My bad :(

Yeah that's PTN doing his thing as a GM. In a normal game, everything is always visible. That's what I was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There are ways to play using numbered blip tokens that are really fun.