Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bean posted:

Who the hell plays a Pokémon game for the plot.

My eevee evolved into a espeon at 11:30 pm last night. :confused: What do I do to get an umbreon, then?
if you haven't completed the plot, outside of the wild area the clock runs on Story Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I want to end up with a Corviknight with pressure is there a way to guarantee that's the ability it ends up with at the final evolution, or do I have to just breed a ton of Rookiedees with good IV's and the nature I want then cross my fingers when they evolve?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

History Comes Inside! posted:

If I want to end up with a Corviknight with pressure is there a way to guarantee that's the ability it ends up with at the final evolution, or do I have to just breed a ton of Rookiedees with good IV's and the nature I want then cross my fingers when they evolve?
You want a rookidee with keen eye

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

History Comes Inside! posted:

Keen Eye becomes Pressure, Unnerve stays as Unnerve. If you look at Bulbapedia, if an ability changes on level up, it will become the one in the same slot. On Toxel, Rattled becomes Punk Rock and Static becomes Plus/Minus.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never agree with "it's pokemon who cares about the plot" because no matter what your goal is in the games, be it comp only or whatever, you absolutely have to interact with the plot to get to that point so why not at least try to make it entertaining. :colbert:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also the plot in SuMo was much better so like the degree this one is just busted and full of obvious run out of time holes is grating. I'm not sure who is responsible for the schedule these games run on (I suspect Pokémon Company) but they hosed it up this time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The plot of Sword/Shield is you should’ve just gone to various tournaments, get blasted, and constantly punch other drunk Team Yell members in the face.

Maybe include a time travel plot where you go back to the middle ages and get to introduce all these ignorant masses to concepts like EV training and overthrowing the monarchy. Also maybe give the protagonist a gun.

The antagonist should be the concept of time.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Gigantamax Alcremie Pokédex entry posted:

It launches swarms of missiles, each made of cream and loaded with 100,000 kilocalories. Get hit by one of these, and your head will swim.
:wtc:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Re: playing Pokémon for the plot, I know someone who plays Pokémon exclusively for the story mode and then never touches them again.

Like, she told me that once she beat the game it felt "repetitive".

I do not understand this, and frankly refuse to, but those people are out there

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm not sure who is responsible for the schedule these games run on (I suspect Pokémon Company)

TPC is owned by Game Freak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My issue with the plot is that Hop is the kinda dude who'd wait outside the toilet while you punish the pan, congratulate you on the smell and say his brother's smells worse tho

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My issue with the plot is that Hop is the kinda dude who'd wait outside the toilet while you punish the pan, congratulate you on the smell and say his brother's smells worse tho

That sounds like excellent writing to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The plot of Sword/Shield is you should’ve just gone to various tournaments, get blasted, and constantly punch other drunk Team Yell members in the face.

Maybe include a time travel plot where you go back to the middle ages and get to introduce all these ignorant masses to concepts like EV training and overthrowing the monarchy. Also maybe give the protagonist a gun.

The antagonist should be the concept of time.

I already caught dialga tho

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
The problem with Rose isn't that he tried to fix an issue that wouldn't be a problem for 1000 years, the problem is that he did it in the dumbest way possible. He's a billionaire who owns multiple companies and runs the pokemon league, he couldn't invest money into renewable energy first? Work on more energy efficient tech? Nah, better just unleash the apocalypse.

If he was just an evil capitalist and doing it for money it'd be a better motivation honestly. A bit simple maybe, but it'd make more sense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rose's problem is he cares too much.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rose is the true protagonist.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

less laughter posted:

TPC is owned by Game Freak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc.

Huh I thought it was a holding above GF and Creatures. nvm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The fact that Galar has two coal mines and emits so much toxic that two whole species of Pokemon adapted super poorly because of them (one of which was a Pokemon made of toxic gas!) is a good sign that Galar is hosed environmentally. Rose has his hands in literally every part of Galar’s industries, so he’s the dude who’d most keenly be aware of all this. I think he’s a legitimately good and altruistic dude, but incredibly hasty and extreme in his actions, and his businessman-ways drives him to find and implement the first solution to this problem that he finds ASAP.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Re: playing Pokémon for the plot, I know someone who plays Pokémon exclusively for the story mode and then never touches them again.

I’m 80% in it for the story and 20% in it to make the most gimmicky team I possibly can.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

pray for my aunt posted:

Keen Eye becomes Pressure, Unnerve stays as Unnerve. If you look at Bulbapedia, if an ability changes on level up, it will become the one in the same slot. On Toxel, Rattled becomes Punk Rock and Static becomes Plus/Minus.

Awesome thanks (and thanks to the other goon who answered)

People are sending out hacked stuff on surprise trade now, just got a 6IV Mew with pokerus and maxed dynamax level while I was sending out a bunch of rejected Rookidee.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m hosting/resetting a 5IV impish ditto (SpD the only non 31) today at the discord for most of this morning / day or until I gently caress up and save then go hunt for another 5IV.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I've never really played post-game in a Pokemon game before, but i've decided this is the one for some reason. Is there any guides out there that will help me to finish the Pokedex efficiently? Right now I'm at 192 caught and just working down the pokedex entries checking them off.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Wilekat posted:

I've never really played post-game in a Pokemon game before, but i've decided this is the one for some reason. Is there any guides out there that will help me to finish the Pokedex efficiently? Right now I'm at 192 caught and just working down the pokedex entries checking them off.

The Pokédex missions seem to be focused on getting you to complete every route. From there I’d say do the Pokédex in order and get into a discord for the trade necessary evolutions, which is where I’m at now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GenericGirlName posted:

The Pokédex missions seem to be focused on getting you to complete every route. From there I’d say do the Pokédex in order and get into a discord for the trade necessary evolutions, which is where I’m at now.

Also the Wild area spawns are based on weather so check the Dex recommendations daily since it may have new entries based on that day’s weather.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My Pokedex is done but I'm getting recommendations again. I wonder what it now determines for choosing recommendations

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Serebii has Beheeyem as a special overworld encounter in the Bridge Field area, and I am just not able to find it at all. Does anyone know where it is?

Edit: And then I found it pretty much immediately after asking.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 1, 2019

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I just want a goddamn Scorbunny with Libero, I've seen one in the Battle Tower you fucks give it to me

Alternatively what do you do in Battle Tower after reaching MAX level? just go in there until you get tired and quit for 2BP per win? ugh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not going for them or anything, but are hidden abilities just something you can randomly get or do you have to be trying to for them? I'm just breeding for shinies but if I get a hidden ability while doing it that's cool

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macaluso posted:

I'm not going for them or anything, but are hidden abilities just something you can randomly get or do you have to be trying to for them? I'm just breeding for shinies but if I get a hidden ability while doing it that's cool

You have to be trying to get them. Some raid mons will randomly spawn with them

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

guts and bolts posted:

I just want a goddamn Scorbunny with Libero, I've seen one in the Battle Tower you fucks give it to me

Alternatively what do you do in Battle Tower after reaching MAX level? just go in there until you get tired and quit for 2BP per win? ugh

Yeah Battle Tower is more or less just where you go to grind for bottlecaps/mints/etc, the actual "endgame" is kinda meant to be the online battles

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah Battle Tower is more or less just where you go to grind for bottlecaps/mints/etc, the actual "endgame" is kinda meant to be the online battles

Yeah the Battle Tower is really boring now, since there's no win streak. Just a series of 2 BP battles with no weight to them. The win streaks made me get invested in it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Genovera posted:

Yeah the Battle Tower is really boring now, since there's no win streak. Just a series of 2 BP battles with no weight to them. The win streaks made me get invested in it.

I really liked the 'boss fights' and recruitment system of the last gen. I'm guessing those are gone too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

blizzardvizard posted:

I can see why people complain about it now.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
It seems backward because reaching MAX level is actually bad? Like I kept getting free Rare Candies and bottle caps and mints on my climb, and now that I'm at MAX I just... do 2BP battles until I get tired of them? That's lame

I'm trying to work on an all-Galarian team for online battles, right now I'm on Boltund, Cinderace, Grimmsnarl, Darmanitan, Corviknight, and Dragapult

It's been working well so far so idgaf

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is there a preferred dungeon for Sirfetched raid? I've been at den 81 for a long time now. and I have not seen a single Sirfetched...

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Even though you're supposed to drop ranks when you lose at the Tower, you're not even forced to save when you enter the fight, so like :effort:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

guts and bolts posted:

It seems backward because reaching MAX level is actually bad? Like I kept getting free Rare Candies and bottle caps and mints on my climb, and now that I'm at MAX I just... do 2BP battles until I get tired of them? That's lame

It's really dumb BUT there are additional* rewards

*after you win 200 matches from which point on you get the following:

Every #10 (210, etc) Mint
Every #20 (220, etc) PP Max
Every #30 (230, etc) Bottle Cap
Every #40 (240, etc) Ability Capsule
Every #50 (250, etc) Lansat Berry
Every #75 (275, etc) Gold Bottle Cap
Every #00 (300, etc) Starf Berry

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Who needs breeding when max raids are just making GBS threads out 5iv and 6iv max Dyna pokes? I just got straight perfect Avalugg and Butterfree today.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

AlternateNu posted:

Who needs breeding when max raids are just making GBS threads out 5iv and 6iv max Dyna pokes? I just got straight perfect Avalugg and Butterfree today.

Having those 5IV pokemon available honestly just complements breeding really well. It gives you a good jumping off point to get better eggs. If they have the wrong nature it's easier to just breed a new one than get 50 BP for the mint, and if the IVs were in the wrong stats you can fix that too without bottle caps. You get so many of the dynamax candies from raids that their max dynamax level isn't important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't play it specifically for the story, but I find I get less interested in my Pokemon after the story is over, because going through dumb bullshit with a team you cobble together on the road is a weirdly fun bonding experience. Once it's over and you can grind out any team you want, there's less attachment and the whole thing becomes transactional. After that happens, I end up getting bored, since all I care about in the end is that initial team I build on the trail, and they're never going to be good competitively because that's not why I put them together in the first place.