Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Always jack off viciously before trying on new gloves

Verman posted:

I dont know how it took so long for me to discover leather conditioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:laffo:

Just make sure to wipe off the excess and buff with a clean cloth.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whoops, wrong bikes

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Martytoof posted:

The Dainese Assen 48 I just got feels so much snugger than my Dainese Super Speed Textile 48. I guess leather is just naturally less forgiving, but I alllmost wish I’d bought one size up. Wearing thick layers with this one is going to be trickier, but should be fine once the temperature stabilizes into perforated leather territory.
I don't have the Assen but I have the Dainese Mugello Perf jacket in euro 48 which I pair with the Dainese Alpha pants in euro 44. The leather Mugello is definitely tighter than the same size textile Dainese jackets which have more of a comfort fit. I have the Hawker and D-Frame in textile. I find the leather jacket in euro 48 to be snug but perfect. By way of comparison, I weigh 140.5-144.5 lbs at 5.5% body fat with a waist of 29"-30" and chest of about 40" I think you also feel the tightness more in the leather because it's less flexible than textile and much heavier. That said, I find the jacket fine off the bike and very comfortable riding the bike. I only really have to deal with the snugness putting the jacket on and taking it off.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 14, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, on the bike it feels decent, but off the bike I definitely feel some restricted range of motion crossing my arms in front of me compared to textile, as you mentioned.

If I wasn't an idiot I wouldn't have pulled off the tags and did a return for a 50. I tried the same on at a different store and 50 felt more natural so we'll see.

I'll give it some time in the spring since I just put the bike away, and if I really don't like it I'll still move up to a 50 and take a loss on the 48. I'm not terribly worried about it :)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I've had my Klim Hardanger for a month or so now, and haven't really been victim to heavy rain until today. I like it, I don't love it, but I like it.

Pros:

- Can get in/out of it in under 2 minutes without taking my boots off.
- It's dry. Which doesn't sound amazing, but my last jacket could not handle rain.
- It'll comfortably take a fair amount of layering underneath. (thick fleece jumper, t-shirt, thermals)
- Vented. It's got something like 14 vents. Accidentally opened one thinking it was a pocket and was wondering why I felt a bit chilly. I imagine at the peak of summer it'll be quite breezy.

Cons:

- Kinda bad for range of motion off-bike. I can't quite touch the back of the collar in it (with layering) and crouching down to wrap a chain around my rear tyre gets things a bit tight in places. Yet to try putting on a backpack with it.
- So many fuckin' zips.
- The regular-medium fits me pretty well when standing (5'10", 32" inseam, 30-32" waist, skinny), There's plenty of 'extra leg' when standing, but when sitting on the bike the cuff of the pants rides up to nearly the top of my short boots. An extra inch of inseam would probably be ideal, 3 extra inches on the tall would too much. (31" inseam? wth klim. who sells 31" inseam anything?)
- The snap-flap at the bottom of the leg does not feel like it's been thought through at all. It's on the inseam, at the bottom of the leg, and is square. It gets caught in the lean-indicators on the footpegs far too easily.
- My office is uninsulated and loving freezing at the moment, I really miss having thick jeans with a fluffy kevlar lining to keep me warm.

Would I buy another? Probably. Something to keep me dry in winter, and safe while wearing a suit to the office was the aim, and this'll do the job no problem.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Washed my helmet liner pads for the first time tonight using baby shampoo. They absorbed an awful lot more water than I expected and they also still kinda smelled afterwards, here's hoping it's at least an improvement over the original funk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Washed my helmet liner pads for the first time tonight using baby shampoo. They absorbed an awful lot more water than I expected and they also still kinda smelled afterwards, here's hoping it's at least an improvement over the original funk.

Assuming they're just the soft foam pads you're better off throwing them in the washing machine on a gentle wash setting with whatever your normal washing powder is.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’m an apartment dweller, I have very limited space to store stuff, especially stuff that doesn’t fold flat (stuff that folds into a bundle like a tent is even better)

Buuuuut, I need to take my rear wheel off to put in a ‘scraper’ plate carrier. So I need a stand of some sort.

What are my options? I’ve seen paddock stands that appear to come apart and fold flat ish.

The ABBA superbike stand looks pretty flat, but one arm is welded together at a right angle (if both arms came off fully, this’d be ideal)

Is there some super product I’ve missed?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

I’m an apartment dweller, I have very limited space to store stuff, especially stuff that doesn’t fold flat (stuff that folds into a bundle like a tent is even better)

Buuuuut, I need to take my rear wheel off to put in a ‘scraper’ plate carrier. So I need a stand of some sort.

What are my options? I’ve seen paddock stands that appear to come apart and fold flat ish.

The ABBA superbike stand looks pretty flat, but one arm is welded together at a right angle (if both arms came off fully, this’d be ideal)

How long do you need to hold it up? Just to take the tire off? https://www.amazon.com/Unit-Motorcycle-Emergency-Stand-C5010/dp/B075X3JKQQ/

You could also be very careful and lay the bike on its side although I don't recommend it for a sport bike.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Have a tall-ish strong ladder? I’ve seen people hold front and rears of bikes up by using a ladder framed over the bike and lifting it up, pulling down on the center of the ladder step with ratchet straps or something similar.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Have a tall-ish strong ladder? I’ve seen people hold front and rears of bikes up by using a ladder framed over the bike and lifting it up, pulling down on the center of the ladder step with ratchet straps or something similar.

Or a tree, or potentially, some scaffolding if you live in a really big city.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Take your bike to a mate's place who has a garage and a paddock stand?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve seen paddock stands that appear to come apart and fold flat ish.

I have one of these and it does indeed come completely apart and lay flat.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That thing builds charcter posted is what you want if you wanna save space. They’re beefy, too. Takes a little practice to get the balance just right, but they’re standard for big adv bikes for backcountry wheel removal. Just do all your nut loosening and torquing when the wheel is on the ground.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Ok I keep googling but it's not coming up

I remember a couple of years ago seeing a company that was selling the goofy one-wheel motorcycle trailers that you attach to your rear axle and then pull behind the bike. I see some being sold for harleys at absurd harley-farkle prices, but I also definitely remember there being some very utilitarian looking ones existing that were just made out of tube aluminum and had connections for every bike under the sun. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah I know the ones you mean. I don't think they were ever something that came off a shelf though, I think they've always been custom order made-to-fit type things.

e/ correction, they've got a standard trailer and fitment if you have a hollow rear axle, anything else they'll custom-fab a connector for your bike. Assuming they're still in business, I genuinely can't tell because this website looks kinda dead.

e2/ found this US site selling basically the same thing... for $2500 :ohno:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 22, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just do all your nut loosening and torquing when the wheel is on the ground.

I do all my nut loosening and torquing in the shower

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Take your bike to a mate's place who has a garage and a paddock stand?
First thought: “friends, with garages? What?”
But then I realised I have a cousin with a garage not far away. Will probably do this.

CheddarGoblin posted:

I have one of these and it does indeed come completely apart and lay flat.
Unless my consumerism gets the better of me, then I’ll buy something like this.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just use a stick to prop it up should be fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIR7wO7yoc&t=80s

I like this guy's DIY moxie

wait for it, I didnt want to ruin the reveal :ssh:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah I know the ones you mean. I don't think they were ever something that came off a shelf though, I think they've always been custom order made-to-fit type things.

e/ correction, they've got a standard trailer and fitment if you have a hollow rear axle, anything else they'll custom-fab a connector for your bike. Assuming they're still in business, I genuinely can't tell because this website looks kinda dead.

e2/ found this US site selling basically the same thing... for $2500 :ohno:

Yeah, that's what I mean, like, for 2500 dollars I will straight up just buy a crown vic and put my bike in the trunk, and I think I will still have more net cargo space.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I bought the biggest topbox I could find.

I could probably fit at least one more maine coon in there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All storage should be measured in Maine coons now :3:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Any recommendations on winter pants? I'd like something that's not an overpant, but has armor inserts and would compare to Kevlar in a slide. And of course, something super warm. The stuff I'm finding around me is mostly made for Snowmobiling (read: not abrasion resistant), or meant as an overpant, so it fits really weird.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I would say use your regular motorcycle jeans, just put on a thermal layer underneath.

I use these and they keep me nice and toasty, even when it's -3C outside like today:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/223953

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I would say use your regular motorcycle jeans, just put on a thermal layer underneath.

I use these and they keep me nice and toasty, even when it's -3C outside like today:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/223953

This works, and then for extreme conditions just put insulated trousers over your regular kit. Sure it'll get hosed up if you crash but you've still got your armoured layer underneath.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What’s wrong with layers that go over your gear? I have an inexpensive Two piece Olympus rain suit that keeps me warm right down into icy roads territory.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

dema posted:

What’s wrong with layers that go over your gear? I have an inexpensive Two piece Olympus rain suit that keeps me warm right down into icy roads territory.

I feel like it just limits my mobility too much. Even wearing a heated base layer under my Tobacco jeans feels a bit snug, but the jeans aren't really broken in yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You know you're allowed to size up right?

I'm 30/32 in jeans but my waterproof overs are XXL. Yeah they're baggy as gently caress and look awful, but my movement isn't restricted at all and they do the job.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

You know you're allowed to size up right?

I'm 30/32 in jeans but my waterproof overs are XXL. Yeah they're baggy as gently caress and look awful, but my movement isn't restricted at all and they do the job.

And then with most pants I wind up with knee armor somewhere around the mid-shin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I feel like it just limits my mobility too much.

This made me think of stubbies and now I have to inflict their existence on you people:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got a set of these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-new-horizon-rain-jacket
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-horizon-rain-pants

Pretty dadcore but work great over my leathers. No mobility issues. Not sure if I've ever really worn them in rain, but with warmer gloves and something around my neck, they get me down into the 30s F.

edit; I've actually been wearing the bottoms when I ride push bikes in the snow. Works great.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 2, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

And then with most pants I wind up with knee armor somewhere around the mid-shin.

The point is the outer layer isn't armoured, you wear your normal gear underneath for the crash protection and add larger layers over the top for thermal insulation.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Many many years ago I ordered some Sidi Vortice boots. I have not ridden a lot of miles so they're still in pretty good shape and I use them for track days.

My SV650 has some non-original kick stand that the PO installed that has a hard to reach nub to flip it down the kick stand. After my last session at a track day last weekend I was having difficulty flipping the stand down and sort of tried to kick it with my heel. The nub on the stand actually penetrated a void in the heel of my boot, binding my foot to the bike in an awkward position and I slowly fell over and dropped the bike in the parking lot.

The forefoot of the boot has a replaceable sole or wear plate, but the heel looks like it is non replaceable. I'll have to take a photo of the sole later, but in the mean time should I try filling the void with some sort of resin or epoxy? Has anyone else here ever had the sole of their boots replaced? It looks like Sidi or the US distributor does sell a complete sole for $65. Is this something a shoe repair shop could replace?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MetaJew posted:

Many many years ago I ordered some Sidi Vortice boots. I have not ridden a lot of miles so they're still in pretty good shape and I use them for track days.

My SV650 has some non-original kick stand that the PO installed that has a hard to reach nub to flip it down the kick stand. After my last session at a track day last weekend I was having difficulty flipping the stand down and sort of tried to kick it with my heel. The nub on the stand actually penetrated a void in the heel of my boot, binding my foot to the bike in an awkward position and I slowly fell over and dropped the bike in the parking lot.

The forefoot of the boot has a replaceable sole or wear plate, but the heel looks like it is non replaceable. I'll have to take a photo of the sole later, but in the mean time should I try filling the void with some sort of resin or epoxy? Has anyone else here ever had the sole of their boots replaced? It looks like Sidi or the US distributor does sell a complete sole for $65. Is this something a shoe repair shop could replace?

That's a pretty moto-specific looking sole, what with the hard plastic zones, glued rubber, and the bolted-in insert. I wouldn't be surprised if a cobbler wouldn't touch it, but if it's as simple as heating things up and pulling the old one off, it wouldn't hurt to see if they can do it. Maybe check before you buy the new soles though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This seems like something I need to fix, one way or another.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also get a sidestand that doesn't try to kill you maybe

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol drat, are you doing supermoto corners?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm honestly surprised how much wear the heels have. I found my receipt/order from NewEnough and I think they're nearly ten years old, though. I just don't do a ton of riding, unfortunately.

No, I'm nowhere near backing in any of the bikes I've owned. I did get 12k steps in walking up and down the COTA paddock last weekend from the distant corner of the lot I secured for myself and the classroom sessions though. I guess I should've been changing shoes, and my feet would've liked it, but the Vortices are such a pain in the rear end to put on and take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I picked up my buddy's pristine FZ-07 and rode it 45 miles home without any issue (he was a brand new rider), then while parking it in my driveway I caught my pant leg on his rear pillon peg and came SO close to dropping it. Really glad I avoided that.