Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hostile V posted:

Comic Strip Thread: VERBOSE FUCKPUZZLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good on you, Tillman. Fight the surveillance state in all its facets.

Also the courthouse clerk looks pretty good. If Bettwy gave his main cast an art update I don't think it would be to the strip's detriment. Or rather, that was always true, but looking at the clerk I feel like he could pull it off.

Tiggum posted:

Nah, that's someone flipping the Fistula coin.
Man poo poo I don't think I'd want to chance those 50/50 odds.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Hostile V posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU NAKED IN PUBLIC, RANDOM INTERCHANGEABLE WORDY COUPLE FROM 9 CHICKWEED LANE

YOU WERE NOT PREVIOUSLY AT A loving HOTEL SO YOU JUST SHOWED UP IN SWIM TRUNKS AND HER WITHOUT HER loving DRAWERS ON

STRANGERS IN PUBLIC AND SERVICE STAFF IN VARYING FIELDS ARE NOT WILLING AND CONSENTING PARTICIPANTS OF YOUR VERBOSE FUCKPUZZLES

CHRIST.

"Verbose fuckpuzzles" is about as succinct and damning a summary of 9CL as possible; really strong work!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_III_of_Denmark
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Dahlbergh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clas_%C3%85kesson_Tott

Nancy

OK, Boomer

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 1, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol @ anyone who has and uses a movie theater loyalty card

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CommonShore posted:

I'm surprised that you guys are fixated on that rather than the next pregnancy arc which it is offering

Unlike newspaper comic strip artists, we goons are not total perverts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Has anyone else been hearing about this old 'Jucika' comic that's apparently been making the rounds on Twitter, etc.?

'Cause I can tell you that one person who wouldn't have heard of it is Corto Maltese! Where today: It's that magnificent man in his flying machine! (please note, magnificence dependent on nationality of observer, or Manfred is a romantic at heart, or Manfred also has a second job as a literary critic

Also, oddly enough, even though he is now known almost universally as the 'Red Baron', that nick-name was not popularly given to von Richthoffen at the time; he was more commonly known as the 'Red Battle Flyer' or Der Rote Kampfflieger. Can you guess where the real impetus behind him being known as the Red Baron comes from? If you can't, here's a hint: It comes from one of the comics in this very thread!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hwurmp posted:

lol @ anyone who has and uses a movie theater loyalty card

Haha those money saving poors, what clowns!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ed's password for everything is ihatemyworthlessboy, pretty easy to guess.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 9, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 9, 1998)

Garfield Classic (May 9, 1988)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dethany can gently caress off with this bullshit. She loves to kiss the asses of her corporate overlords so if anything she's the most predictable person in this comic.

Also, for a supposed "friend", Dethany sure loves comparing herself positively against Fi. And we're supposed to like her for it!

The morality of Hellworld is all kinds of hosed up. They're talking about how those drives can be used to locate and murder people like it doesn't even affect them. Holbrook's a master at making his "good guys" the vilest pieces of poo poo ever.

CommonShore posted:

I'm surprised that you guys are fixated on that rather than the next pregnancy arc which it is offering

Reminder that this current pregnancy arc makes no sense in the first place. There was a strip where the doctor flat-out said that Amos is shooting blanks, yet he got Edda pregnant anyway. This could've been a story of the couple adjusting to not having kids or maybe considering adoption. But no, Brooke has to get his pregnancy fetish on and have all these goddamn flashbacks of horny 6-year old Edda or Amos writing to his unborn child how much its mom is such a good gently caress.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This is why I am thankful we don't have Thanksgiving

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why? Thanksgiving owns. You get to eat good food, hang out with friends and/or family, and watch lots of football. I might be Arlo. (I will grant that it is a bit problematic.)

Star Wars hopes this asteroid doesn't have a decaying orbit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 11, 1951)

He's evolving...

Calvin and Hobbes (Sept 29-30, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 8-9, 2014)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Normally I don't post Sunday Luann because it never has anything to do with the ongoing plot, but I decided to check today to see if it is now official that Tiffany went hungry and alone on Thanksgiving. It is! (Yes, they could still have her go to somebody's fancy meal next week, but that would involve Team Evans continuing the Thanksgiving strips well past Thanksgiving which seems unlikely.)

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and post this today because...

TJ, the strips designated "loveable rogue" going full Bernice on Brad with the guilt trip. Truly the greatest good in the eyes of the Evanses is to be a joyless scold.

I was going to point out Brad, a dude in his mid 20's, leaving his ringer on, but he's a firefighter so maybe he's on call in case a house burns down or something. I don't know. Do firefighters do that?

ETA: Robbie and Bobby is good

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 1, 2019

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 3, 1972)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (Before Skippy), in which I doubled back on 1921 for something else and found some earlier material I missed on the first pass.

(March 31, 1921)

(April 7, 1921)

(April 14, 1921)

(April 28, 1921 (x2, featuring another contender for proto-Skippy))

Elsewhere In The Magazine: Robert E. Sherwood, yet another of the Algonquin Roundtable pack who overran Life during this period, got a wild hair to write about the movies in 1921 which manifested in a couple of ways. First and foremost, he began writing film criticism, taking his place in the first generation of writers that started pushing past whether a film was a crowd-pleaser and putting deep thought into artistic merit. He ended up publishing a book of reviews in a format that should look familiar to anyone who ever picked up a copy of Ebert's Movie Home Companion...even if he uses ten times as many words.

But for our purposes, he tag-teamed with John Held Jr. for a feature they called "The Cinema Primer".

(March 31, April 14 and 28, May 12, 1921)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Julet Esqu posted:

I was going to point out Brad, a dude in his mid 20's, leaving his ringer on, but he's a firefighter so maybe he's on call in case a house burns down or something. I don't know. Do firefighters do that?
I always thought when firefighters were on call they lived at the station to get out as fast as possible. Like they've got shifts they're at the station and then off-time they're on home.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

I posted this last night and was too tired to comment, but I wanted to point out now that Makeda is punishing her disloyal courtier by making him go spend time with Prince Valiant.

This guy's childhood portrait is pretty sweet.

Kennel posted:

OK, Boomer

Oh! How can they expect us to figure out these requirements that have been in place for at least twenty years?!

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 8, 2014)

This rules.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
You know, Amend, you can stop. It's OK.

Heart

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, Amend got real lazy after switching to Sundays-only huh

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EasyEW posted:

(March 31, April 14 and 28, May 12, 1921)

Broke, high as gently caress, possibly gay... Tenderloin has not changed much in 100 years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Invasive species laws are no laughing matter, Ripley's.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Man, Amend got real lazy after switching to Sundays-only huh

He's been cycling through the same Sunday jokes for nearly a decade at this point with slight variations. It's a shame, old-school Foxtrot was pretty great.

Wasn't there a goon that was posting it?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

I posted this last night and was too tired to comment, but I wanted to point out now that Makeda is punishing her disloyal courtier by making him go spend time with Prince Valiant.

Val is a headstrong meatheaded idiot. His own family members regularly say, "loving hell, do I wish he wasn't such a headstrong meatheaded idiot."

So that checks out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kennel posted:

OK, Boomer

Just get a password manager, boomer.

2016 Spiderman

:allears:

1977 Incelman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Tomorrow: New adventure!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Here it is.

I started reading the Newspaper Spider-Man thread shortly after the beginning of the storyline, and "Don't worry I have the proportionate strength of a spider -- OH GOD THE GIANT SPIDER ALSO HAS THE PROPORTIONATE STRENGTH OF A SPIDER" has stayed in my heart as the best example of how dumb as a rock brick Newspaper Peter Parker is :allears:

In other news, Modesty Blaise still owns so very much.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mikl posted:

Val is a headstrong meatheaded idiot. His own family members regularly say, "loving hell, do I wish he wasn't such a headstrong meatheaded idiot."

So that checks out.
I like that Val being too proud to get medical care until he's in critical condition is such a common occurrence nobody is even surprised anymore, just disappointed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

RainbowCake posted:

I just spent three days catching up with the thread, solely for Mary Worth, only for it to turn into this?? :mad:
Yeah this is really disappointing. I suppose it's possible the doctor's wrong in his diagnosis and she's pregnant still, but I think it's unlikely they're going there.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Happy December, I spent too long savescumming huge pokemon so I'm a day and change late on

Garfield

Heathcliff

Finally a good Popeye's Fan Club

and a :nws: edit from a friend https://i.imgur.com/8LjrBPI.png

Overboard

Monty

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think the thread is ready for a Funky Winterbean/Mary Worth crossover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waiting for Kadia to just walk in and say 'Hey Mr. Walker' having figured it out in a minute.

Haifisch posted:

2016 Spiderman
:allears:

The best spidey strip

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Get Fuzzy 11/30/99