Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Force Unleashed came out 11 years ago.

And they're still both great games if you're looking for a power fantasy rather than storytelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Does anyone else have poo poo performance on PC? I've got a GTX 960, so not the best, but I can't even run this at 30 fps on lowest settings without constant stuttering and FPS drops. It's a shame, would be a good game if it was actually smooth, especially in combat.

What resolution are you running at?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Does anyone else have poo poo performance on PC? I've got a GTX 960, so not the best, but I can't even run this at 30 fps on lowest settings without constant stuttering and FPS drops. It's a shame, would be a good game if it was actually smooth, especially in combat.

I've got the same card, Intel Core i5 processor, 16 Gigs of RAM, and it ran fine at default settings. Occasional stutter when moving between areas (particularly when first landing which everybody reports), but nothing constant or major. I was even watching Twitch streams on my second monitor most of the time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It seems that the stuttering on asset loading is heavily tied to your CPU (or maybe GPU?). It's definitely not "have the game on SSD and gtg" because of people experiencing it on modest rigs but with SSDs.

I've got a 9900K and I detect a split second stutter occasionally but it's nothing like what I've seen console versions suffer from. Really glad I got it on Steam even though it requires Origin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

It seems that the stuttering on asset loading is heavily tied to your CPU (or maybe GPU?). It's definitely not "have the game on SSD and gtg" because of people experiencing it on modest rigs but with SSDs.

I've got a 9900K and I detect a split second stutter occasionally but it's nothing like what I've seen console versions suffer from. Really glad I got it on Steam even though it requires Origin.

Yeah, I don't have an SSD at all and things flowed fine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally convinced myself to pony up for the 1 month of EA Access Premium to give this a try. I have heard that the Jedi Knight difficulty was still a bit on the easy side and I heard it recommended to go Jedi Master. I mean, I am not expecting anything approaching Sekiro or even BloodSouls for that matter, but what is the opinion here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So I finally convinced myself to pony up for the 1 month of EA Access Premium to give this a try. I have heard that the Jedi Knight difficulty was still a bit on the easy side and I heard it recommended to go Jedi Master. I mean, I am not expecting anything approaching Sekiro or even BloodSouls for that matter, but what is the opinion here?

You can change it during the game, so try them out and decide what you like. You know you better than we know you.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i played through jedi master and i think jedi knight might have been a bit better since it more easily lives up to the genre fantasy of being immediately better than most of your opponents. if you've already beaten sekiro however (which i have not) then maybe jedi master is just right.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Unlucky7 posted:

I started it on Jedi Master and eventually lowered it to Knight purely because the boss fights would become tedious. It's the type of game where the mechanics just feel unpolished enough that you dont want to replay the same boss fight over and over, unlike Sekiro where you feel like the gameplay is tight enough that you lost a boss fight because you were too slow with a parry or you havent quite mastered the boss's patterns. You can lower it at any time so I say start it on Master and see how you go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found the mandatory boss fights to actually be the easiest fighting in the game. The regular enemies were actually harder to me than regular enemies in Bloodborne or Souls but not Sekiro.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

I started it on Jedi Master and eventually lowered it to Knight purely because the boss fights would become tedious. It's the type of game where the mechanics just feel unpolished enough that you dont want to replay the same boss fight over and over, unlike Sekiro where you feel like the gameplay is tight enough that you lost a boss fight because you were too slow with a parry or you havent quite mastered the boss's patterns. You can lower it at any time so I say start it on Master and see how you go.

mono blade heavy > heavy or double blade block plus light attack deal an absurd amount of damage to bosses once you break their guard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think we can stop putting "double bladed saber" in spoiler tags. It's in the Options menu, I got spoiled on it by the game itself!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Still partway through the first planet in the Adventures of Cal Whitebread Jellohair Whathisname. The combat is pretty good, I think, or at least feels like the type of combat that should feel better once you have a few upgrades on you, or so I hope.

Kinda weird that the Red Unblockable Alert glow is completely overtaken by the glow marker for the Soulsalike recovery system. Hope no deaf people play this game :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 1, 2019

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The solution was to edit the config files to force low settings - they go below medium you just can't do so in-game. That got me a stable 45 fps which is good enough, only have the game through origin Access anyways.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm guessing this is a "no duh" question, but starting a new game doesn't overwrite your progress, it just starts a new game in a new save slot which you can then load as needed, right?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Watching a video review after the fact and discover there's a bunch of bounty hunter bosses that spawn all over the place? Despite going back and getting all the secrets I never ran into any except for the one mandatory encounter.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm guessing this is a "no duh" question, but starting a new game doesn't overwrite your progress, it just starts a new game in a new save slot which you can then load as needed, right?

Yes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The solution was to edit the config files to force low settings - they go below medium you just can't do so in-game. That got me a stable 45 fps which is good enough, only have the game through origin Access anyways.

I really hate it when devs lock out low settings like this, same with stuff like forcing HDR/DOF/etc. on even on the lowest settings. Not all of us have cutting-edge gaming rigs all the time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Watching a video review after the fact and discover there's a bunch of bounty hunter bosses that spawn all over the place? Despite going back and getting all the secrets I never ran into any except for the one mandatory encounter.

Yeah they spawn in specific rooms as you wander back through, at seemingly random times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m scared at how many of the people in this thread say the map is bad and wondering how many of you have driver’s licenses, the map in this game is superb

I don't know if it's a spatial thing, but something about my brain makes reading the maps in this extremely difficult. The maps are about as good as they could be given the nature of the levels, but it'd be nice if you could at least get directions to previously explored areas.

McCloud posted:

Facing Vader is probably what it's like for normal stormtroopers when they try to go up against Cal

One of the funniest things in this game is when stormtroopers kill you - the literal Jedi - and are like "alright, threat neutralized, nothing to see here."

precision posted:

Fights against multiple enemies were definitely something that needed more work. A few moves you get were basically useless because they left you vulnerable and have no I frames. Like the triangle triangle combo that does overhead slash then leaping slash, doing that was never a good idea, but it was clearly intended to be powerful

The impression I get is that you're meant to use some of the force abilities are crowd control when there are multiple enemies.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Really hoping they patch in some fast travel to this, even if you could only jump back to your spaceship or something

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

One of the funniest things in this game is when stormtroopers kill you - the literal Jedi - and are like "alright, threat neutralized, nothing to see here."

Well, the fact that only 5 years before the Jedi order was almost completely destroyed by Stormtrooper predecessors with the same conventional weapons might play a little into that. You're just a runaway jedi kid to them. Dangerous, sure, but not utterly unbeatable.

By the way, we don't have to spoiler tag Order 66 at this point right? The fall of the jedi is literally discussed in the game's intro, but I've seen some people in this thread tag it anyways, so I might as well ask and edit if necessary.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I guess the bounty hunter jetpacks have a recharge or something cause one of them landed right in front of a cliff on Dathomire and I just pushed them off for an easy kill.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Late game the spoiler is Cal’s order 66 flashback sequence

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

I guess the bounty hunter jetpacks have a recharge or something cause one of them landed right in front of a cliff on Dathomire and I just pushed them off for an easy kill.

Checks out, bounty hunters have a long-established history of inept jetpack-related deaths :rip:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

This here is a GOTY contender.

I got spoiled on encountering Vader, which is kind of a duh thing anyway, but not the way it's handled. The game immediately goes survival horror.

One thing I don't see commented upon enough is the music. I like when I'm just exploring the music goes sort of silly and bouncy like it would be in a relaxed scene from the movies. Excellent, excellent score here.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Washin Tong posted:

Well, the fact that only 5 years before the Jedi order was almost completely destroyed by Stormtrooper predecessors with the same conventional weapons might play a little into that. You're just a runaway jedi kid to them. Dangerous, sure, but not utterly unbeatable.

By the way, we don't have to spoiler tag Order 66 at this point right? The fall of the jedi is literally discussed in the game's intro, but I've seen some people in this thead tag it anyways, so I might as well ask and edit if necessary.

The fact that it happened isn't a spoiler, but the really good flashback scene is.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
In Darthomir there's this really annoying wall climb puzzle thing where you either have to push or pull the swinging rock ledge into the correct wall so the vines connect so you can climb up but the rock ledge doesn't stay still long enough so you can actually climb up. It's really stupid. I hate it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? How do I do this?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t know the specific puzzle you’re taking about but can you not force freeze it after you move it into position?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t know the specific puzzle you’re taking about but can you not force freeze it after you move it into position?

Sometimes I can be really stupid, I swear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stokes posted:

I did the exact same thing, seems like you get some pretty substantial breaks between using that for anything much outside of combat so I'd forget about it when it wasn't helping me whack somebody.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

moosecow333 posted:

There's only like two puzzles in the whole game where you have to slow something immediately after using a push or pull it. So it blindsided me both times it came up. I figure it's because I basically ignored that I had force powers the whole game outside of obvious puzzles. I pretty much never used them in combat. So I never really think of them as a first resort.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

I loving youtubed that because I never used the slow power

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The slow power is good. All the powers are quite useful in a fight actually

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

skasion posted:

The slow power is good. All the powers are quite useful in a fight actually

Oh yeah, slow was my go-to for single/spread-out enemies and bosses once I got around to trying it out. Not flashy but very dependable to ease up the timing for connecting a few hits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stokes posted:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Stokes posted:

I don’t want to talk about how long the metallic bomb puzzle took me. My brain just turned off and I couldn’t figure it out even after exhausting all of the tips.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I couldn't do the lantern puzzle because buggy game wouldn't show those wavy blue lines that indicate something is happening.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That one took me a while but I felt like Jedi Master Neil Degrasse Tyson once I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I interpreted the "I can use the metal covering to protect it" hint to mean if it was upright it wouldn't go out passing through the water, and was really confused why it didn't work. I wound up having to throw it, freeze, jump over to the other side, and pull again. Never figured out the "correct" answer until chatter here.