Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Phone posted:

it's the reset the world memory management function

it replaces all of the enemies and doodads so you don't wind up with even more weird rear end memory induced problems

the blood moon is the plot reason for resetting the map. the trigger is 72 in game hours.

Blood Moon absolutely creeped me the gently caress out the first time I saw it happen in real time. What a fantastic way to handle such a mundane task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Bomb everything

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

Blood Moon absolutely creeped me the gently caress out the first time I saw it happen in real time. What a fantastic way to handle such a mundane task.

Yeah I just saw it for the first time and it was real solid. I was just wandering around town when I saw some weird shadows shimmering about and the background had a weird hue so I naturally looked up and saw it rolling on it and it was a real natural emergent feeling experience. Hilarious if it was also a clever way to handle technical limitations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

You don’t need to carry any of those around. You can cut trees down with any sharp edged weapon, and the game is generous at handing out leaves and torches wherever they’d be particularly useful.

You don’t need to sure but it feels nice to have them and a needlessly limiting choice to have you choose between this or that. Like I can’t speak enough about how much I’m enjoying the game so far it’s just one mechanic that feels bad and goes against the real “do what you want” vibe the game has going.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get that, more often than not, an indie game priced down to pennies from an already low original price is usually not so great, but goddamn, I was really hoping Preventative Strike would've been some sort of spiritual sequel or tribute to the Strike series.

:negative:

I too lost a penny thinking the same thing. RIP Strike series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just wish I could skip the blood moon cutscene whenever it happens.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You can. Have you seriously not been skipping those?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been forever since I played, so maybe I was? I have memories of getting anxious whenever they popped up because they'd make me stop whatever I was doing, or hosed me over if I was in the middle of a meticulously planned encounter.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Blood moons are when you're supposed to run to the nearest cooking pot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Seems kinda wild that there's not a BotW thread, but I guess we're way too late for that at this point.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Seems kinda wild that there's not a BotW thread, but I guess we're way too late for that at this point.

there is one but it's got a weird thread title and i think it shifted to more of a zelda general megathread

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is over watch worth playing on a switch? I have it on Xbox/PS4 but might be cool to take on trips with me

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

You can. Have you seriously not been skipping those?

I feel like it doesn't always let you skip it, but it's been a while since I've played.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Is over watch worth playing on a switch? I have it on Xbox/PS4 but might be cool to take on trips with me

No, it has huge performance issues.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been having this problem with Celeste where if I move with the left thumbstick I often gently caress my dashes up because I won't be pointing in exactly the right direction (like it'll be a diagonal dash when I need a horizontal one), but if I use the directional buttons instead it's very hard to do anything diagonal. What do most people use?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

No, it has huge performance issues.

What? It runs great in my experience. Unless a recent update broke it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? It runs great in my experience. Unless a recent update broke it?

It may have been fixed/improved, but at launch that was all anyone cared to comment on was terrible performance, and gigantic downgrade in graphic quality over the other platforms.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, it runs fine now. It doesn’t look as good as pc or ps4, no, but smooth frame rate seems to have been prioritized over graphical fidelity

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brand new joycons and I still can't play on the tv.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put your switch in the dock

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Montalvo posted:

I've been having this problem with Celeste where if I move with the left thumbstick I often gently caress my dashes up because I won't be pointing in exactly the right direction (like it'll be a diagonal dash when I need a horizontal one), but if I use the directional buttons instead it's very hard to do anything diagonal. What do most people use?

A Joycon with a d pad modded on. It makes a world of difference.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Heath posted:

A Joycon with a d pad modded on. It makes a world of difference.

What's the easiest way to do this? Or should I just buy a controller that has it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Papercut posted:

What's the easiest way to do this? Or should I just buy a controller that has it?

If you don’t have an SN30 Pro or related controller yet wtf are you even doing. Or a hori or Nintendo pro controller I guess

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just got a switch like a week ago and was waiting to see if there were any black Friday deals.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Papercut posted:

Do you play handheld mode? One of These

Docked/Tabletop mode?
Pick your poison.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Papercut posted:

The easiest way is to buy the Hori one. You can also buy replacement shells and a toolkit for about 40 bucks on Amazon if you want to go whole hog on the modding front (I made my Switch transparent atomic purple and it rules.) If you play on the TV an SN30 Pro controller is great, although the d-pad isn't quite as precise as the Joycon is and is a bit of a pain to set up, but I use it as my main controller.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just read the sn30 pro+ can be used with PC so I'm gonna get that for sure, thanks for the recommendations!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Average Bear posted:

2. Is Mario Odyssey worth it? I hear it's kind of a stupid easy collectathon
Kinda late but yes it's 100% worth it and no, it's not stupid easy. It starts off pretty easy but really fun, then later on a shitton of challenging stars unlock

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Heath posted:

The easiest way is to buy the Hori one. You can also buy replacement shells and a toolkit for about 40 bucks on Amazon if you want to go whole hog on the modding front (I made my Switch transparent atomic purple and it rules.) If you play on the TV an SN30 Pro controller is great, although the d-pad isn't quite as precise as the Joycon is and is a bit of a pain to set up, but I use it as my main controller.

Is that right? The dpad isn’t as good as the joycon? That seems strange to me. Also why is it a pain to set up?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

my SF30 pro dpad likes to go up left when i hit straight up; i have to be careful to press the upper right side of the arm to get straight up. for something like celeste, I’d use the joycon dpad over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You can also get the 8bitdo usb receiver and use an xb1 or ds4 controller with your switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Montalvo posted:

I have the same issue every time I pick it up and it just goes away as I build back a little muscle memory. Or use a different controller.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, it runs fine now. It doesn’t look as good as pc or ps4, no, but smooth frame rate seems to have been prioritized over graphical fidelity

Meh screw it. Imma make my switch a mobile RPG platform so I don’t have to worry about connectivity and whatnot.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
The Switch pro DPad seems like it sucks too. In Lumines and Tetris it seems to drop blocks all the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kiranamos posted:

Is that right? The dpad isn’t as good as the joycon? That seems strange to me. Also why is it a pain to set up?

You have to update firmware once you get it and it tends to not play nicely with other controllers. Once you get it there it's hands down the best option. It's worth noting I have a previous revision of the SN30 that looks identical to a SNES controller save the thumb sticks and extra shoulders, so YMMV. But the d-pad is just a bit less precise than the Joycons' independent UDLR buttons. Often when you hit up it will interpret it as up right or up left. Not all the time, but enough that I notice it on games that require perfect precision like Celeste. Supposedly you can mod them with those little circular paper rings for binders to keep pages from tearing, but I haven't done that. The only reason I say the Joycon is better is because the modded one I use is literally just a plastic pad laid on top of the four-button set up that the Joycon has, so it's shallow but also clicky so you get the nice feedback. It's pretty similar to the New 2DS' pad, if you've used one of those.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can also get the 8bitdo usb receiver and use an xb1 or ds4 controller with your switch.

Oh that's a good tip, I already have a ds4.

Can you have this receiver going at the same time as a USB Bluetooth audio transciever? I'm doing Bluetooth audio to a soundbar when docked.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay, Streets of Rogue is pretty fun now that I know generally what's going on. I was confused at first because I didn't realize there's unrelated npcs milling about like a Deus Ex level and wasn't sure who would aggro and when but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. It didn't help that the first character is slum dweller, I kept trying to play with that class until trying Soldier and that went much better.

I am curious to see how much depth there is, it does kind of feel like outside of new traits and items there's not much to the game that you don't see in the first few levels. I guess running with all the different characters will give it some longevity too though.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I just got Dead Cells. Dead Cells is the best.

Everyone should talk about Dead Cells at all times.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is Mortal Kombat 11 on the Switch good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It may have been fixed/improved, but at launch that was all anyone cared to comment on was terrible performance, and gigantic downgrade in graphic quality over the other platforms.

Playing handheld only, at launch Overwatch did slow down a lot when multiple ults were used at the same time.

But I haven't noticed it anymore, so they apparently managed to improve the performance.