Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

laxbro posted:

What weightlifting exercises do you guys do?

Ring Fit Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 10, 2022

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

butros posted:

Post your dumbest injuries.

mcl tear doing a hip bump sweep somehow

like a decade ago doing warmup drills for boxing, coach thought it'd be cool to do these tandem cartwheel things where you and your partner hold on to each other's ankles and wheel yourselves down the mats. I didn't tuck my head and wheeled myself right onto my face and had a shameful friction burn to show for it

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Drewjitsu posted:

Dislocated my ankle from the rear mount ankle lock. That will teach me to not cross my ankles when I'm in rear mount.

I couldn't find it quickly on youtube but the danaher back dvd had a nifty technique for this where you let go of the seatbelt and push as hard as you can on the back of the top of their head if they catch your crossed ankle. It prevents them from arching and being able to put much pressure, works for me. Yuns can likely explain it 1000x better.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yuck. Don't wear cups

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

Post your dumbest injuries.

I strained my groin trying to forward roll my second class and ended up having to take almost two weeks off as a result.

Dislocated my pinky trying to Ezekiel someone.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Most of my worst injuries since I started training are from things completely unrelated to BJJ and also kind of lame, like "tried to catch a frisbee but stepped in a muddy spot and tore a hamstring" or "slept funny and couldn't turn my neck for a week".

In BJJ, probably my worst non-acute injury was stubbing my big toe while doing judo drills a year or two ago; I still can't bend it all the way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I had a class after not training for maybe 5 years. There was a strong blue who kept pulling down on my head.

During the drive home my neck was so sorry and stiff that I couldn't turn it side to side. To do a shoulder check, I had to turn my entire torso.

Oh, and the better one is where I poked myself in the eye putting on a RNC. I had a huge black eye and the white of my eye filled entirely with blood. It looked weird for weeks.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Boy, does this thread title ring true at the moment.

By the way, I'm sold on catch wrestling. More shin pins and dirty subs all day. I'm on the fence for ending a match with a pin. There's just so much work that happens in and after side control but, hey, if that's the game then go for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Boy, does this thread title ring true at the moment.

By the way, I'm sold on catch wrestling. More shin pins and dirty subs all day. I'm on the fence for ending a match with a pin. There's just so much work that happens in and after side control but, hey, if that's the game then go for it.

Put it this way, if you can hold someones shoulders to the mat for more than three seconds, you can just as easily punch them in the face until they give up.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
If you can pin someone for three seconds then you can pull out your judo knife

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My dumbest injury by far: I was passing the open guard of an aggressive white belt, and his feet touched the floor, which should've been incredibly easy to pass. I went to do something like a torreando pass, but my feet slipped on a sweaty bit of mat, my entire body became airborne. The first part of my body that hit was my adam's apple on his planted knee, with all the weight of my whole body on it, then the rest of my body landed later. I lost my voice completely. Got myself x-rayed for looking for neck damage, but it all looked fine. 24 hours later my voice came back, but I never recovered the higher ranges of my voice, the top octave or so. Good thing I was already bad at singing. I think that's the only BJJ injury I have which effected me permanently. Apparently if you use your voice professionally you have to have surgery as soon as possible after injuries like that to make sure you recover your full range.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nicky Rod vs Luke Rockhold is on right now.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Rock hold getting into his head

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

drat wish I had ufc.tv back now

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

old.flv posted:

drat wish I had ufc.tv back now

just read the recap and lol nvm

butros
Aug 2, 2007

The card was generally very good. Some sick finishes (both gi matches were super fast paced with sub finishes if that’s any indication of quality)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

hi liter posted:

If you train seriously you need to condition/care/rehab for your body just as seriously. Yoga is a super great way to do that.

A challenging vinyasa class will seriously expose lack of flexibility/core strength as well. If you can afford it I highly recommend throwing in a yoga class a week to go with BJJ. It’s done wonders for my back and other soreness problems associated with training.

This is what a few people in my gym are telling me to do as well. I wish we offered Yoga as well. Ive seen some gyms that do it and im always like "Now theres some forward thinking...".

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Good match with Haisam Rida and Kyle Chambers. Looked pretty even to me, but I suppose they give the guy (Rida) playing top position the most (and passing guard!) the advantage(?).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any recommend a simple lifting routine for complete beginners, for bjj? New to lifting, not jujitsu.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any recommend a simple lifting routine for complete beginners, for bjj? New to lifting, not jujitsu.

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the great response

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks for the great response

What Jay linked has kind of been the go-to answer for many years, there's also a a variation of it I prefer that has some advantages (gently caress power cleans) and some disadvantages (takes a bit more time per workout):

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

If your main problem with lifting is getting bored, alternating between the two on different weeks or something could help.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It is a good response. Starting strength is a great program to get overall stronger and the functional strength gains translate directly into grappling.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does it help with weightloss? Gone up a division in the last year, while grappling 5 times a day, due to life etc. Would like to shift some gut.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Absolutely will help with weight loss.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Does it help with weightloss? Gone up a division in the last year, while grappling 5 times a day, due to life etc. Would like to shift some gut.

I know this isn't YLLS but diet is the biggest factor regarding weight loss and if you can clean that up while grappling 5x per day (or week as I'm assuming you actually meant) dropping pounds shouldn't be an issue.

Source: Ten weeks ago I cut out liquid calories and restricted calories to <=2000 per day while grappling 5x per week and I've dropped fifteen pounds.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Absolutely will help with weight loss.

Where's my SAGK rashguard?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Even if you don't lose weight it will def become the right kind of weight haha.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

I lost a bajillion amount of pounds using 5x5 and the goon advice of "eat less calories idiot" then due to injuries, laziness, and other poo poo I gained all the weight back. So uhh yea. It works if you stick with it.

butros posted:

Where's my SAGK rashguard?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Don't drink soda, don't spam fruit juice, and no creamy sweet stuff in the tea/coffee helps a lot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The sweet/creamy poo poo in the coffee makes a huge difference. People never count it, but then they drink like three triple triples which is more calories than a big juicy cheeseburger.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Signed up for the tournament in 12 days. Gi Weight Division + Absolute & No-gi Weight Division + Absolute.

I'm gonna die. :smith:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

Signed up for the tournament in 12 days. Gi Weight Division + Absolute & No-gi Weight Division + Absolute.

I'm gonna die. :smith:

Go on an extreme sumo diet for 12 days and crush your opposition in the absolute

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Hi friends, weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out. Figure out your BMR and how many calories you burn per day and then just eat less than that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My weight division is just my walking weight so theres no cutting involved

butros
Aug 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Hi friends, weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out. Figure out your BMR and how many calories you burn per day and then just eat less than that.

For anyone looking to do exactly this, this calculator has worked really well for me.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Here I've been getting mad thicc just eating 5000 calories a day and throwing around this heft.. Soon my belly on knee will be a real threat..

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

ICHIBAHN posted:

Here's a simple 1x20 I wrote for a dude at my gym too, based on Yessis. Starting strength will get your squat up quick but it's more of a football or beginners powerlifting program. Perfectly fine starting place though, I did ss as one of my first programs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1voIhxbjES9HYImWA534_ZQbn_qN02io4_eDPoTyUo_U/edit?usp=drivesdk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been lifting twice/week since September - just 3 sets each of squat/bench/dead, starting with mid weight mid rep, working up to high weight low rep (the idea is that I want a routine that I can do in roughly 20 minutes so I can do it at work). It's a super simple routine, but it has made a huge difference in my grappling, and my partners have been commenting lately how much stronger I've been feeling.

My weight has gone up a couple pounds and my bf% has gone down, though I wasn't exactly chonky in the first place. My dress shirts no longer fit properly and I'm too cheap to buy new ones so I'm no longer wearing ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I like 5/3/1, it’s simple for beginners but still effective for those who’ve been lifting a while. It’s also quick and there are some great spreadsheets out there that will tell you exactly what to lift each set and adjust to your progress.