Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act states that "Where a demise occurs seven days or fewer prior to dissolution or once Parliament has been dissolved, the election will be delayed by 14 days (or to the next working day thereafter if the 14th day is not a working day)"

So the election will take place between Christmas and New Year? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You fools, the forbidden rituals performed by Her Majesty were the only things keeping the Great Old Ones from invading our reality

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So... that would make it December 26. Or 27th if they say not on Boxing Day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act states that "Where a demise occurs seven days or fewer prior to dissolution or once Parliament has been dissolved, the election will be delayed by 14 days (or to the next working day thereafter if the 14th day is not a working day)"

cribbed from reddit.

drat in another 14 days we'll have gained 28 points

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

cribbed from reddit.
But wasn't this election called notwithstanding the Fixed Term Parliaments Act?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I am trying to find that in the actual FTPA rather than relying on reddit!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So not long enough to force no deal brexit

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'll be pissed off if she has kicked it because I'm off work this week anyway

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

cribbed from reddit.

So an election could be indefinitely delayed by murdering your way down the line of succession? Who would have thought the FTPA was so ill-thought-out and exploitable?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pochoclo posted:

You fools, the forbidden rituals performed by Her Majesty were the only things keeping the Great Old Ones from invading our reality

We ran out of psykers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

blunt posted:

That's really interesting, thanks!

so...the 27th? is that a holiday anywhere?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
wait do we get time off work if she's actually gone and pegged it

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

How many more monarchs would Boris Johnson need to kill before a no deal Brexit is automatically triggered? Sounds like a Dominic Cummings plan

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Wait is this a real photo of Corbyn?

https://twitter.com/humansofthesesh/status/1201263571793055746?s=20

Always thought he's be more of a scotch man.

E: This guardian article is wild

quote:

For people stuck in traffic, or with Heart FM on in the background, there will only be the subtlest of indications, at first, that something is going on. Britain’s commercial radio stations have a network of blue “obit lights”, which is tested once a week and supposed to light up in the event of a national catastrophe. When the news breaks, these lights will start flashing, to alert DJs to switch to the news in the next few minutes and to play inoffensive music in the meantime. Every station, down to hospital radio, has prepared music lists made up of “Mood 2” (sad) or “Mood 1” (saddest) songs to reach for in times of sudden mourning. “If you ever hear Haunted Dancehall (Nursery Remix) by Sabres of Paradise on daytime Radio 1, turn the TV on,” wrote Chris Price, a BBC radio producer, for the Huffington Post in 2011. “Something terrible has just happened.”

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 1, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Xemloth posted:

How many more monarchs would Boris Johnson need to kill before a no deal Brexit is automatically triggered? Sounds like a Dominic Cummings plan

3 I think? So we would have a one year old king Louis.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I've been playing CK2 again

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So far I have found this:

From House of Commons Information Office, 2010: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m07.pdf

p4

quote:

If Parliament is in recess at the time of the Monarch's death, then it is immediately
recalled. Should the death occur after a dissolution but before votes have been cast at
a General Election, then polling day will be postponed by a fortnight (Representation
of the People Act 1985 s20), subject to those days that are disregarded by the
Electoral Timetable (see Appendix 2, note 2).

I will edit this if I find out more.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The main thing that makes that Whatsapp screenshot suspect is a soldier writing '930 am' rather 0930.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1200198747025821696?s=19

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pound_Coin posted:

Those gogglebox clips are going down well and doing numbers.

We regret to inform you that next weeks gogglebox is cancelled
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1201189815590494213
:tinfoil:

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

From House of Commons Information Office, 2010: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m07.pdf

p4

It's here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/50/section/20

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

She's clearly not actually dead, but in case you were curious about what happens when she dies (re: do we get the day off)

'London Bridge is down': the secret plan for the days after the Queen’s death

(This is a very long read).

Alternative 5min video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-u5nd2GqNE

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 1, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I blacked out my upstairs windows with VOTE LABOUR and DENNIS SKINNER posters. My dad said “you’ll get a brick through your window if you’re not careful”. I looked him dead in the eye and aid “that’s more reason to put the posters up, not less” to annoy him, which it did. He said oh shut up. I win, in a very marginal way.

Today is my 39th Birthday. I would likke a labour government please. I am unreasonablay drunk for a Sunday but we had a big old fire on the allotment and not got to go to work tomorrow. Hooray!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dead cat to distract from the Virginia Giuffre interview that's happening tomorrow night

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sanford posted:

I blacked out my upstairs windows with VOTE LABOUR and DENNIS SKINNER posters. My dad said “you’ll get a brick through your window if you’re not careful”. I looked him dead in the eye and aid “that’s more reason to put the posters up, not less” to annoy him, which it did. He said oh shut up. I win, in a very marginal way.

Today is my 39th Birthday. I would likke a labour government please. I am unreasonablay drunk for a Sunday but we had a big old fire on the allotment and not got to go to work tomorrow. Hooray!

Happy birthday!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanford posted:

Yer da's gonna throw a brick through your window, wrapped in a piece of paper upon which is scribbled "Happy loving birthday"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

blunt posted:

She's clearly not actually dead,

Look, matey, I know a dead queen when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

cribbed from reddit.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

p4

Boxing Day isn't excluded, which is interesting because at least in Scotland it's one of the six fixed public holidays for local authority staff. One might say it was doubly interesting, because double is what they'd have to pay us to count.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So would polling day be Christmas Eve or the 27th? Neither are public holidays.

Sanford posted:

Happy birthday!

Wait, why are you off tomorrow :tinfoil:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

Look, matey, I know a dead queen when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Guardian confirms she's dead.

---

In actual news:
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1201267256551968774

[e]: Also, good on you and happy birthday Sanford :toot:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I don't think we ever talked about in this thread was this very good New Yorker long read from last month about how the Economist magazine glued itself to the wrong side of history from day one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If the election falls between Christmas and New Year then a not insignificant number of people who aren't registered for postal voting (or are needed for manning stations and/or counting) will be nowhere near their constituency, myself included.

I'd hope it would get delayed to early next year, or just, you know, kept on the 12th, but did they plan for that?

[edit] Also, happy birthday! I failed a pub quiz in your honour.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

She's pining for the lords.
Elizabethan Blue, nice plummage!

:monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

but did they plan
look into your heart, you know the answer

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cheers!

I asked wife of former mp I know to ask him and he said 'bloody hell'

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

God drat that's massive.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hahaha justnfucking lol forever if the queen is dead.

In the great book of madness that is the history of 2019 you will turnnthrough pages of increasingly improbable circumstance and when you finally think things can’t get any more insane it says, writ large across the final pages of this terrible volume “AND THEN THE loving QUEEN DIED”

Seriously it will be like th special Christmas episode of mad poo poo that has happened this year.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Should especially help in London with wobbly remainers tempted by the Lib Dems

edit: the Fares policy, not the Queen dying - that would be the ultimate Dead Cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Pesky Splinter posted:

In actual news:
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1201267256551968774

[e]: Also, good on you and happy birthday Sanford :toot:

Sweeeet, I don't have to spend £5,000 on getting a years train pass anymore. Only £3,500!

The queen thing is obviously going to turn out to be false, again, but lmao at what it says about the state of this country that a couple of squaddies loving around generates a 150,000 tweet shitstorm.