Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

look into your heart, you know the answer

:negative: Brenda better not do this to me, that period goes Xmas / dad's birthday / my birthday / new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't get this meme, man.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Soylent Yellow posted:

So an election could be indefinitely delayed by murdering your way down the line of succession? Who would have thought the FTPA was so ill-thought-out and exploitable?

can't wait for 200 years in the future when the last traceable relative of the Windsor line is ritually slaughtered for reasons long lost to time, and everyone has two weeks to prepare for what will surely be the ceasing of the sun coming up in the mornings

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

But how will they pay for it? Show me the magic money train!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What's up with parties announcing policies after they've published the manifesto? Is it normal? The Tories keep doing it too.

Obviously it's a good policy but it gives the air of making things up as they go along.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pretty ballsy of BoJo to nobble the Queen just to delay his inevitable electoral defeat

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Imagine if she really has popped her little lizard clogs. The whole "princess of hearts" shitshow, only worse and now we have the internet. Civil war by the week's end once the daily mail reports on what people on twitter are saying about our beloved ex-majesty :v:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stev posted:

Obviously it's a good policy but it gives the air of making things up as they go along.

Thats the definition of this election alright.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RockyB posted:

Sweeeet, I don't have to spend £5,000 on getting a years train pass anymore. Only £3,500!

The queen thing is obviously going to turn out to be false, again, but lmao at what it says about the state of this country that a couple of squaddies loving around generates a 150,000 tweet shitstorm.

Screencapped for posterity, but holy poo poo it really is 145K tweets

---

But that train fares thing - loving hell that's good. Also means the Tories trying to do the whole "B-but where's the money coming from!?", or trying to spin the daylight robbery as good actually.

In addition, it shits on the libdems even more. :getin:
Especially as they've said this in the last few hours.

Lib Dems won't support Labour nationalisation plans posted:

The Lib Dems would not support Labour's plans to renationalise key industries in the event of a hung Parliament, the party's leader Jo Swinson has said.

She told the BBC Radio 5's Pienaar's Politics the policy was a "distraction" and not "the way forward".

The Lib Dems and Labour have both ruled out a coalition deal if there is no clear general election winner.

Asked if she would try to block Labour from forming a minority government, she said it was a "fantasy situation".

"Nobody is expecting, on the current scenario, that Jeremy Corbyn is getting anywhere near Downing Street and the Liberal Democrats are going to put him there.

"So the Labour manifesto, it's a wish list, they cannot deliver it."
[...]
Asked whether she would support Labour's plans, Ms Swinson told Pienaar's Politics: "No, I think renationalisation is a distraction.

"I don't think it's a way to deliver better public services and I think it's taking us away from, actually, how do you make things better for people?"
[...]
Pushed for further clarity on whether the Lib Dems would block the renationalisation of water, Ms Swinson said: "We don't think that renationalisation is the way forward."

Reminder: willing to enact austerity leading to actual deaths and suffering; unwilling to bring utilities back into public ownership.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

What's up with parties announcing policies after they've published the manifesto? Is it normal? The Tories keep doing it too.

It's carefully calculated and planned in advance to stay on top of the news cycle. If you dump everything at once, you get maybe one, two days of decent coverage. If you drop big globs of policy at opportune moments, you get constant coverage.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The election being held between Christmas and new year would be so perfectly idiotic that I'm now convinced it will happen

I mean think about it, law says 14 days forward, right? Well not necessarily, law can be changed, to make the election take place in January instead, right? ...Except how exactly, since there are no MPs

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pilchenstein posted:

Imagine if she really has popped her little lizard clogs. The whole "princess of hearts" shitshow, only worse and now we have the internet. Civil war by the week's end once the daily mail reports on what people on twitter are saying about our beloved ex-majesty :v:

Two can play at that game. I'm for getting signed off for grief-related stress and having an early Christmas break. Cheers Maj

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Lol you guys have privatised water treatment/distribution?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

So would polling day be Christmas Eve or the 27th? Neither are public holidays.

God only knows. I'm expecting at least half the people in my office to stop work on the 20th and not come back until the 6th - you only need six days of leave to cover the whole period and we've been allowed to carry over.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

To paraphrase The Thick Of It:

"gently caress! BRENDA'S DEAD!"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

The election being held between Christmas and new year would be so perfectly idiotic that I'm now convinced it will happen

I mean think about it, law says 14 days forward, right? Well not necessarily, law can be changed, to make the election take place in January instead, right? ...Except how exactly, since there are no MPs

I think it would be 31st Dec or 2nd Jan to account for the Bank Hols?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Wachter posted:

Two can play at that game. I'm for getting signed off for grief-related stress and having an early Christmas break. Cheers Maj
Just one of the many similarities to Children of Men we can expect to see in the coming days :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine that young people are more likely to be away from their registered constituency near Christmas than olds, since they'll be travelling to visit parents/grandparents. So I hope she's alive.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Queen faking her death for a few weeks to get out of congratulating Boris winning during the Xmas speech.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/status/1201273537706770432?s=19

Liz chat: Not sure if this is legit or whatever

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pesky Splinter posted:

Screencapped for posterity, but holy poo poo it really is 145K tweets

---

But that train fares thing - loving hell that's good. Also means the Tories trying to do the whole "B-but where's the money coming from!?", or trying to spin the daylight robbery as good actually.

In addition, it shits on the libdems even more. :getin:
Especially as they've said this in the last few hours.

Reminder: willing to enact austerity leading to actual deaths and suffering; unwilling to bring utilities back into public ownership.

according to the trash future manifesto episode their solution to trains is to increase competition by allowing local authorities and nonprofits to bid for franchises

they're loving mental

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it would be 31st Dec or 2nd Jan to account for the Bank Hols?

2nd January is a bank holiday in Scotland, which leads to much fun.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

jaete posted:

Beginning to look a lot like Jezzmas

E: 165k tweets now!

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2019

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Charlie Proctor always sounds like a Viz character to me e.g. 'Charlie Proctor, Arse Doctor'

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Joda posted:

Lol you guys have privatised water treatment/distribution?

yes and they don't fix leaks and dump literal poo poo into watercourses

also there's not even the vaguest figleaf of a free market efficiency rationale because you literally have no choice over which company you buy water from, it's just which area you happen to live in

it makes no sense whatsoever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ it's called pouring a sip out for your homies, RIP big mags

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"... And replacing it with something more inclusive." It'll cover civil partnerships as well, not just christian heterosexuals.

But nobody's suggested replacing it, right? The grey book just says it's being scrapped

It's a direct hit to a lot of people and "but this is fairer" won't go down well with a lot of them because all they'll see is that number, and when Labour's making a claim of "nobody earning under £80,000 will pay more tax" it starts to look dodgy. I've had relatives complaining about it - obviously you can talk about all the other benefits and general improvements in society and the economy, but a lot of them just see that number and the fact it contradicts the Labour line

it just kinda feels like a glaring weak point in a solid pitch, that's why I was wondering what responses people have had success with when it comes up

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 2, 2019

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pilchenstein posted:

Hearing the queen had pegged it from a group chat containing Ricey, Cheeks and Gibbo would be the most 2019 thing to have happened yet in this, the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen :v:

theres a penis there

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

XMNN posted:

according to the trash future manifesto episode their solution to trains is to increase competition by allowing local authorities and nonprofits to bid for franchises

they're loving mental

Oh that's right, the Trains Wallets. :cripes:

It's peak libdem; "We need it to look like change, but not actually change anything."

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1201268381762162694

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Well, there's clearly one falsehood in this tweet, so the rest can't be considered reliable!

No-one looks forward to Trump.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Well yes, she's technically not dead, she just shed her human carapace and folded space back to Nibiru

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
now i know the queen is probably still alive but i hope the screenshot at least is real and someone tracks down this Gibbo character

Gibbo for PM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I was thinking of posting how half of Ireland just rushed off to the pub to celebrate earlier when she was in her Quantum Queen alive/dead state, but thought best not to.

PS. The Queen is dead. sexy

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This was taken in february, bloody hell this year has gone quick yet also it seems so much poo poo has been crammed into it

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Heard rumours that the queen is dead but reading up on it apparently the queen is immortal till she's the longest serving monarch and only then will the curse be lifted and she can finally die?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It would be really inconvenient for the Queen to die just now between parliaments, long live Her Majesty imo.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 2, 2019

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

XMNN posted:

they're loving mental

Local authorities? Which local authority is going to bid for a train franchise that has three stops out of 60 within their borders? Also, wouldn't local authorities running trains essentially be the same as nationalising it?

I know I'm asking if the LDs know what the gently caress they're saying and I should know better, but loving hell.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

This was taken in february, bloody hell this year has gone quick yet also it seems so much poo poo has been crammed into it

just think how painfully tedious the conversation must have been

soubry's expression is somehow the most accurate

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Drone_Fragger posted:

Heard rumours that the queen is dead but reading up on it apparently the queen is immortal till she's the longest serving monarch and only then will the curse be lifted and she can finally die?

In which case she has to beat Sobhuza II by living another 15 and a bit years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

But nobody's suggested replacing it, right? The grey book just says it's being scrapped
I can't find any sources, no. Someone said it last thread but google results are full of such absolute screeching poo poo I can't see anything.