Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

stealing a fire truck, driving it through a park, purposefully trying to hit people: taser

robbing a 7-11 with a machete and walking towards a cop with in the air while he steps in your path: 9 bullets

winnipeg police justice

Source for the first one? It sounds like he was doing donuts with the fire truck in central park, but wasn't specifically trying to kill any pedestrians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fire-truck-stolen-winnipeg-1.5378700

quote:

Carver said officers pursuing the vehicle saw it drive wildly through the park, though no bystanders were hit. Carver clarified that there was no indication the driver was attempting to injure anyone deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gunna guess which one was white

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Gunna guess which one was white

Both of them are black.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Queen's dead, so what

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

angerbeet posted:

Queen's dead, so what

Fake news

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Queen's dead, so what

don't get my hopes up like that

i'm biding my time to bring back my old ironic royalty-worship gimmick when she finally bites it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You made me google her majesty, you fucker :argh:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

You made me google her majesty, you fucker :argh:

a truly blessed day for your search history

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

angerbeet posted:

Queen's dead, so what

which queen?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

upgunned shitpost posted:

if art is supposed to contain some sort of inherent truth, then it's pretty apt for vancouver.

now if it cost ten grand and the rest of the value used to launder money then it'd be masterpiece.

Possibly, money laundering is a huge problem in the art world, its considered the driving factor in high-end auctions. Though it is usually contained to the auction scene.

As I said before, its more likely this is just some classic capitalism. The Chandelier was probably pretty cost effective, made and installed by underpaid contractors, and the "artist" pocketed a ton of it. The public gets something no one really wants or needs.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

half cocaine posted:

Back in July, Vancouver House, the condo tower next to this chandelier had 30+ units for sale. Now there are zero units up for sale. Does anyone know what happened to them? They certainly weren't sold.

Rented out or air bnb.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Source for the first one? It sounds like he was doing donuts with the fire truck in central park, but wasn't specifically trying to kill any pedestrians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fire-truck-stolen-winnipeg-1.5378700

thats different than what the police spokesperson said

edit: actually its the same guy saying two different things lol

https://globalnews.ca/news/6235282/stolen-firetruck-takes-police-on-chase-through-winnipeg/

quote:

Police spokesperson Const. Rob Carver said the truck then headed to the downtown area, where he said the driver turned onto the grass at Central Park.

“Early indications are that there were attempts to hit civilians in the park, but none were hit,” he said.

“The threat was very real here.”

Carver made it clear that the situation is not being considered a terrorist attack, however.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Imagine posting the official police statement about something to try and prove a point about what "really" happened.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Watch out everybody

https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/1201476622437797890

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

The caller identified himself as RCMP investigator Steve Rogers.

Cap nooo :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That person doesn't seem particularly old but as an entire generation of semi-computer literate people hit that age where their thinking gets increasingly cloudy scammers are going to start making a fortune.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i am completely certain one of these days i'm going to get caught by one of these, but right now i cannot imaging the thought process that leads you to emptying your bank account because someone on the phone tells you to.

like, somewhere around the time they start asking for google play gift card codes, maybe stop

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

it’s just Roger from American Dad

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Well, to be fair to her that's a lot more involved that the robo-voice message I got a few weeks ago asking me to call the "Canadian Social Security Department". Scammers must have gone low bid on that particular campaign.

infernal machines posted:

i am completely certain one of these days i'm going to get caught by one of these, but right now i cannot imaging the thought process that leads you to emptying your bank account because someone on the phone tells you to.

I'm having this experience right now, only with car salescritters. So far they haven't asked for gift cards.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

So far they haven't asked for gift cards.

Sounds legit OP

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"when real cops find ten kilos of coke with your name on it you're only gonna hear about it after the swat team takes down your front door."

- Hal Johson and Joanne MacLeod

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
all the scam calls I get are in mandarin. luckily i dont speak mandarin and am safe.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

all the scam calls I get are from mandarin. luckily i'm having lap band surgery and am safe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

like, somewhere around the time they start asking for google play gift card codes, maybe stop

Early onset Alzheimer's, dementia, general confusion from being dehydrated, people with pensions, a recently deceased widow/widower who has to manage their finances for the first time since they got married, anything can help sell someone something that dumb. I have to imagine that most of the time the scam doesn't work, but when you get someone, you get a massive payday.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Early onset Alzheimer's, dementia, general confusion from being dehydrated, people with pensions, a recently deceased widow/widower who has to manage their finances for the first time since they got married, anything can help sell someone something that dumb. I have to imagine that most of the time the scam doesn't work, but when you get someone, you get a massive payday.

the most sophisticated one i've seen involved someone's email account getting popped by a phishing scam at some point. either they didn't notice or didn't think to mention it at the time.

some time later whoever had access requested a $50k wire transfer from the person's bank manager via email. since they regularly do this kind of business as part of some real estate trust it didn't raise too many red flags. the account manager initially refused, saying they couldn't process the transaction by email, but then went ahead and did it anyway. nothing was flagged on the victim's end because there was a message rule set up to route all mail with the subject line/addresses to a subfolder of a subfolder in their mailbox. and because these people use personal gmail accounts for everything a bunch of corroborating accounts were made that were similar to ones that normally would have been used for this kind of transaction.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

the most sophisticated one i've seen involved someone's email account getting popped by a phishing scam at some point. either they didn't notice or didn't think to mention it at the time.

some time later whoever had access requested a $50k wire transfer from the person's bank manager via email. since they regularly do this kind of business as part of some real estate trust it didn't raise too many red flags. the account manager initially refused, saying they couldn't process the transaction by email, but then went ahead and did it anyway. nothing was flagged on the victim's end because there was a message rule set up to route all mail with the subject line/addresses to a subfolder of a subfolder in their mailbox. and because these people use personal gmail accounts for everything a bunch of corroborating accounts were made that were similar to ones that normally would have been used for this kind of transaction.

that's impressive, but what's also impressive is how much the banks will just do stupid poo poo anyway in spite of whatever rules are in place.

I've seen some pretty decent phishing scams from your fake bank telling you to log in and check your account security with a hyperlink provided.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Another Bill posted:

all the scam calls I get are from mandarin. luckily i'm having lap band surgery and am safe.

all the scam calls I get are from the mandarin. luckily I’m not Tony Stark and am safe.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

that's impressive, but what's also impressive is how much the banks will just do stupid poo poo anyway in spite of whatever rules are in place.

I've seen some pretty decent phishing scams from your fake bank telling you to log in and check your account security with a hyperlink provided.

The most impressive, low effort scams are the invoice ones, I'd probably fall for that

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/city-treasurer-sends-128-000-to-fraudsters-in-email-phishing-scam-1.4370829

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/how-to-avoid-invoice-theft-scam-that-cost-google-facebook-123m.html

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't get why they don't just tell these people to gently caress off and put the phone down. When I was getting in trouble with OSAP payments they sure didn't bother to call me or send emails, they send big threatening letters and pretty much anyone legit will do the same.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

yeah, the real fuckup here was the bank manager not verifying the transfer request with a phone call. it would have taken a minute to do and the whole thing would have been shut down immediately.

my involvement was tangential, looking at what data was being stored in the email account, and helping them file a report with the privacy commissioner regarding the breach

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't get why they don't just tell these people to gently caress off and put the phone down. When I was getting in trouble with OSAP payments they sure didn't bother to call me or send emails, they send big threatening letters and pretty much anyone legit will do the same.

i've seen it happen to a few people and it's one of those things where you can't be too mean about it, but the question remains, at what point did you think the cra/rcmp/your bank's fraud department were legitimately asking you for loving gift cards? that is not a thing that happens under any circumstances.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The most impressive, low effort scams are the invoice ones, I'd probably fall for that

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/city-treasurer-sends-128-000-to-fraudsters-in-email-phishing-scam-1.4370829

this poo poo happens constantly, specifically in places where the org list and email addresses are known.

someone creates a free email account and uses the name of a partner or some high ranking muckety muck and starts sending emails to flunkies asking them to send money. it's hilarious how often they don't bother to check the actual sender's address before replying

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yeah, the real fuckup here was the bank manager not verifying the transfer request with a phone call. it would have taken a minute to do and the whole thing would have been shut down immediately.

my involvement was tangential, looking at what data was being stored in the email account, and helping them file a report with the privacy commissioner regarding the breach

I was indirectly involved in a small organization where someone accidentally paid their rent with a cheque from an account they didn't have signing authority for. it wasn't a lot of money and the person fessed up as soon as they realized, but I have to marvel at the fact that the bank just let a cheque clear signed by someone who isn't listed as part of the account in any way shape or form.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Dec 2, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Less expensive to process everything without verifying more than amount, and then reimburse in case of screwups than verify everything carefully and still be vulnerable to bogus signatures and end up in the same situation.

The only things I've ever seen get caught are keying in zero when the cheque deposited obviously has an amount and that one time I physically deposited a Costco executive member cashback voucher and got it back in the mail a few weeks later.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

that one time I physically deposited a Costco executive member cashback voucher and got it back in the mail a few weeks later.

nice lowkey flex

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Dreylad posted:

I was indirectly involved in a small organization where someone accidentally paid their rent with a cheque from an account they didn't have signing authority for. it wasn't a lot of money and the person fessed up as soon as they realized, but I have to marvel at the fact that the bank just let a cheque clear signed by someone who isn't listed as part of the account in any way shape or form.

Happened to an organization I was involved with, too. We went to the bank to get a newly-elected president's signature on record, and it turned out that the previous guy who was in charge for about two years before that was never actually on record in the first place.

The cheques also required two signatures (out of three), and I have to wonder if they would've cleared had just one signature been on it, too.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Colonel Cancer posted:

These people are very, very good at one thing - reaching inside you and triggering a reaction. If it's panic, they win. Brain shuts down instantly.

Back when I used to answer the phone just to waste time for these scammers I've still had one occasionally leave me feeling panic as well as the usual gently caress Off and Die (slowly and painfully). Interesting reaction considering I knew before I picked up the phone what I was dealing with.

Same with car salesmen - they're match-fit and polished, and like an astrologer a minute or two of conversation gives them all the info they need to know which buttons to push. I on the other hand would starve to death if I had to sell things for a living: "You don't want to buy this piece of poo poo - they keep coming back with brake problems." I have no natural defense against these people other than "don't engage".

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

upgunned shitpost posted:

walk it back, muthafuck, walk it back. good boy.

counterpoint

https://twitter.com/canada_fake/status/1199701951438606337?s=20

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hexigrammus posted:

These people are very, very good at one thing - reaching inside you and triggering a reaction. If it's panic, they win. Brain shuts down instantly.

Back when I used to answer the phone just to waste time for these scammers I've still had one occasionally leave me feeling panic as well as the usual gently caress Off and Die (slowly and painfully). Interesting reaction considering I knew before I picked up the phone what I was dealing with.

Same with car salesmen - they're match-fit and polished, and like an astrologer a minute or two of conversation gives them all the info they need to know which buttons to push. I on the other hand would starve to death if I had to sell things for a living: "You don't want to buy this piece of poo poo - they keep coming back with brake problems." I have no natural defense against these people other than "don't engage".

The iconoclastic new malcolm gladwell tome spent a fair bit of time discussing why humans default to truth, basically it's biologically advantageous to do so. It is easy in hindsight to see the individual incidents where people seem childishly gullible but harder to see all the thousands of times that default believing your fellow humans helps us all do things efficiently. We are mostly all susceptible to these scams from one angle or another because it's annoying to go around your day defaulting to distrusting every stranger you meet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

the man on the phone kept reiterating she couldn't tell anyone what was going on, and if she did, she could be implicated in the investigation.
I mean, she's lucky the person who used this Jedi mind trick on her was only after her money. People need to be trained to spot red flags like this. Like imagine if you're a kid and you have a teacher or scout leader who's telling you not to tell anyone about something or you'll get in trouble. That's NEVER good. Chains of command don't work that way, and if they do, there's something seriously wrong. So it's not even about computer literacy. We are failing to equip people with even the basic social intelligence they need to protect themselves from harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Juul-Whip posted:

I mean, she's lucky the person who used this Jedi mind trick on her was only after her money. People need to be trained to spot red flags like this. Like imagine if you're a kid and you have a teacher or scout leader who's telling you not to tell anyone about something or you'll get in trouble. That's NEVER good. Chains of command don't work that way, and if they do, there's something seriously wrong. So it's not even about computer literacy. We are failing to equip people with even the basic social intelligence they need to protect themselves from harm.

i had a bully teacher(who was emotionally abuse rather than physically or sexually, so i guess that's something) who would always go on 2 hour rants about how poo poo we are ended by "also don't tell ur parents" because that was easier than actually teaching

basically the second an authority figure tells you not to tell someone you should immediately tell everyone possible