Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

She'd be ok. Lana Condor would be my pick. Someone mentioned Constance Wu in another thread, and I'd be cool with her as Aphra as well.

Ellen Wong would be my choice, personally. Constance Wu might have that anti aging thing but she's nearly 40.

One of the chicks in Warrior would probably kill it too, but i can't remember her name atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Bennett because I know she can do action and comedy and emotional stuff. I'm not familiar with any of these other actors, other than Awkwafina, and her only from Dark Crystal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I like Bennett because I know she can do action and comedy and emotional stuff. I'm not familiar with any of these other actors, other than Awkwafina, and her only from Dark Crystal.

Ellen Wong played Knives Chau and she's in Glow

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I wanted to start reading Doctor Aphra's stuff, would I need to read the Darth Vader run or could I start with her solo?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

If I wanted to start reading Doctor Aphra's stuff, would I need to read the Darth Vader run or could I start with her solo?

Seems like a good idea, that's where she's introduced. it's a good portion of her story

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Waffleman_ posted:

I started with her solo series and don't feel like I missed anything tbh. I'm gonna go back and read the Vader comic eventually though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Seems like a good idea, that's where she's introduced. it's a good portion of her story

I figured, but you know how comics can be sometimes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I figured, but you know how comics can be sometimes.

The vader comic is the best comic by a country mile though, so it's kinda worth it

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Watching the Mandalorian made me dip into SW comics for the first time in 20 years. I liked Soule's Vader, but I found Gillen's run where Aphra is introduced pretty lame. I'm enjoying the Aphra solo series a lot more though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

Ellen Wong played Knives Chau and she's in Glow

Oh that's cool. I really shoulf watch Glow at some point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Waffleman_ posted:

Personally, I liked the way she leaves the Vader series quite a bit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Glow is very good, and so was the comic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a really nice scene in Clone Wars where Ahsoka has her crush on Lux and Anakin both A) spots it right away and B) doesn't tell her it's not okay but more that she should keep focus.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ellen Wong was Gillens choice for aphra. Right? Who she was modelled after?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mando episode 4 is up.

Star Wars has done Seven Samurai before but this was still a decent episode. Cara Dune seems alright.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

4 eps in, Mandalorian still owns.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mando episode 4 is up.

Star Wars has done Seven Samurai before but this was still a decent episode. Cara Dune seems alright.

Yeah, Clone Wars did it first, but I don't mind. It works just as well in Mando with its western tropes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShineDog posted:

Ellen Wong was Gillens choice for aphra. Right? Who she was modelled after?

I sure hope so, i didn't know that

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Huh, that episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard. Looks like she hasn't directed much before this but I thought it was a pretty good-looking episode.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Episode 4 features Baby Yoda drinking soup so it's automatically good no matter what.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

Huh, that episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard. Looks like she hasn't directed much before this but I thought it was a pretty good-looking episode.

Yeah. The AT-ST sequence owned. And closing out the ep on a shot of Baby Yoda :kimchi:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought they were gonna have baby yoda deal with the at-st but im glad they decided not to go that route

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Moon Slayer posted:

I was in the mood for more Mandalorian stuff so I re-watched the two episode arc where Sabine learns to use the Darksaber and goes back to her family, and drat if those aren't some extremely good episodes.

Also this is an extremely good track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu4Ic5c1hMo

While this track was strong, especially in the context of its episodes, it pales in comparison to Thrawn's theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10KSz8gU9-8

Edit - This is the way.

hexate fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 30, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sunk-cost fallacy? Never heard of it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World for the first time in a long while today, and yes, I now also agree that Ellen Wong would be an excellent choice for Aphra. Either her or Lana Condor (she was badass in Deadly Class, rip that series tho) are my top choices :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World for the first time in a long while today, and yes, I now also agree that Ellen Wong would be an excellent choice for Aphra. Either her or Lana Condor (she was badass in Deadly Class, rip that series tho) are my top choices :)

I think she's a bit young, but i like her moxy

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I think she's a bit young, but i like her moxy

I think that works in her favor: Condor being only 22 is a boon for production seeing as how we don't even know when/if Aphra will get a Disney+ series or Disney+ exclusive movie(s). [edit] But regardless, I'm down for whoever would get cast because Aphra's such a cool character in SW universe, and seeing her and her stories in live-action would be dope as hell.

vvv :same:

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am extremely down for live-action amoral Indiana Jones in space.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really hoping Alphra would show up in Rebels. Even if it was just one episode. Hera has appeared in Alphra's comic a few times.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am extremely down for live-action amoral Indiana Jones in space.

I would be extremely further down for animated Aphra, but I certainly wouldn't reject a live-action one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madurai posted:

I would be extremely further down for animated Aphra, but I certainly wouldn't reject a live-action one.

Animated would certainly help with some of the more SFX intensive places Boop goes to (read: 'gets into trouble at').

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Animated series or movies would be cool too. GIVE ME PLS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just picked up the first Darth Vader hardcover from the library let's go

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm hopefully going to get some of the volumes of the Doctor Aphra comic for the holidays so I'm excited. She sounds great and I'm really happy to see an Asian-coded protagonist in a Star Wars story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

I'm hopefully going to get some of the volumes of the Doctor Aphra comic for the holidays so I'm excited. She sounds great and I'm really happy to see an Asian-coded protagonist in a Star Wars story.

Volumes 1 through 4 are available for free on Comixology/Kindle if you have an Amazon Prime account :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gina Carano is dope as hell.

Really hope Cara Dune comes back before the series finale of Mandalorian.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No one would confuse Gina Carano for a good actor but she has presence and charisma in a way that is very similar to a typical 80s action star. Like just compare her to Ronda Rousey to see how big a difference that natural charisma makes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

No one would confuse Gina Carano for a good actor but she has presence and charisma in a way that is very similar to a typical 80s action star. Like just compare her to Ronda Rousey to see how big a difference that natural charisma makes.

She's just done an interview with Ariel Helwani's MMA show, where she says since haywire, she's basically had one foot out of the door for a fight comeback and only recently has she put that behind her to concentrate on
acting fulll time.
She's a very shy around cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJyOQo8IRhQ&t=3099s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Gina Carano is dope as hell.

Really hope Cara Dune comes back before the series finale of Mandalorian.

I don't remember Cara having this gently caress-off rifle in ep 4:

So unless the above promo image is from like a deleted scene, I think we'll be seeing her again eventually :neckbeard: