Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is it true that one of the Queen's Horrocruxs is the act of England winning the World Cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

https://twitter.com/JohnSkelton/status/1201274022668972034?s=19

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

just think how painfully tedious the conversation must have been

soubry's expression is somehow the most accurate

tbh Heidi Allen has gone up a little bit in my estimations because she's rightly not even bothered with the terrible chips and sides at Nando's and is simply eating a whole chicken from a bowl

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
In an alternate 2019 europe is a series of absolute monarchies ruled by senile nonagenarians due to the wonders of modern medicine and the strictness of feudal succession law

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bardeh posted:

tbh Heidi Allen has gone up a little bit in my estimations because she's rightly not even bothered with the terrible chips and sides at Nando's and is simply eating a whole chicken from a bowl

I think she's gone with the wings roulette thing they do

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

frankenbeans posted:

Local authorities? Which local authority is going to bid for a train franchise that has three stops out of 60 within their borders? Also, wouldn't local authorities running trains essentially be the same as nationalising it?

I know I'm asking if the LDs know what the gently caress they're saying and I should know better, but loving hell.

nationalising it would be ideological, so logically it can't be nationalisation as ideology is bad

also privatising it is ideological

basically everything other than giving people coupons/loans and setting up committees is ideological and therefore communism/fascism and the lib Dems won't stand for it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Hearing the queen had pegged it from a group chat containing Ricey, Cheeks and Gibbo would be the most 2019 thing to have happened yet in this, the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen :v:

https://twitter.com/DAVlDBYNCH/status/1201282906175524870

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

unwantedplatypus posted:

In an alternate 2019 europe is a series of absolute monarchies ruled by senile nonagenarians due to the wonders of modern medicine and the strictness of feudal succession law

and somehow it's only marginally worse than the current timeline

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Gibbo

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XMNN posted:

nationalising it would be ideological, so logically it can't be nationalisation as ideology is bad

also privatising it is ideological

basically everything other than giving people coupons/loans and setting up committees is ideological and therefore communism/fascism and the lib Dems won't stand for it

please, privatising it is both sensible and necessary

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

unwantedplatypus posted:

Whereas in this one they use capital to justify it instead?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/zr2402/status/1201281182400417792

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Reddit bungholes saying some BBC staff have been called in, probably quantum level bullshit

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gibbo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

hitchensgoespop posted:

Reddit bungholes saying some BBC staff have been called in, probably quantum level bullshit

that's just their damage control team for when labour announce a good policy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

^^^ it's called pouring a sip out for your homies, RIP big mags

But nobody's suggested replacing it, right? The grey book just says it's being scrapped

It's a direct hit to a lot of people and "but this is fairer" won't go down well with a lot of them because all they'll see is that number, and when Labour's making a claim of "nobody earning under £80,000 will pay more tax" it starts to look dodgy. I've had relatives complaining about it - obviously you can talk about all the other benefits and general improvements in society and the economy, but a lot of them just see that number and the fact it contradicts the Labour line

it just kinda feels like a glaring weak point in a solid pitch, that's why I was wondering what responses people have had success with when it comes up

Yeah I've looked and can't find anything.

Labour needs to sort itself out with this kind of thing. The one we get asked about a lot in our semi-rural constituency where we have quite a lot of people who are in relative poverty with small incomes but who have maybe a field attached to their home where they've lived 60 odd years is 'garden tax' as the MSM call it or 'land value tax'. Labour can't just write one liners like this without understanding how the words get twisted by MSM and frighten the horses.
They better make sure the £80k thing works! (And if that involves pointing out that there are people on apparently small incomes who do have a large income because of dividends, so be it).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Honestly hope she isn't dead.

I don't have enough money to justify a celebratory curry.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

hitchensgoespop posted:

They have a lot of editing to do in the next 10 days

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Chuff McNothing posted:

please, privatising it is both sensible and necessary

quote:

There is enormous scope to improve Britain’s railways, providing reliable and affordable train services and cutting emissions. The Tories’ and Labour’s ideological obsessions – the former with privatisation, the latter with nationalisation – only serve to get in the way of making real improvements through investment and regulation. We will improve the railways, reform the franchising system and improve services to customers. 

tbf maybe they just aren't "obsessed" with privatisation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bardeh posted:

Literally the only thing I order when I go to nandos is a chicken and a drink. Nothing else is worth bothering with. But tbh I really like the chicken.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

XMNN posted:

Well, in the US the syndicalists won the civil war and, after liberating the Canadian proletariat, have instituted full gay communism in the western hemisphere

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Marx goes to America and convinces Lincoln to institute Full Communism.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mediaphage posted:

Literally the only thing I order when I go to nandos is a chicken and a drink. Nothing else is worth bothering with. But tbh I really like the chicken.

2M beer is tasty.

Meanwhile there are people shouting down this unimpeachably fine Labour pro-diversity video by saying “Where are the Jews”. As though you can even tell.
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1200675327636385792

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Would the election be delayed only if the Queen died? What if like, Philip or Charles or one of the lessers dies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the 170 missed posts a meltdown or what

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Queen's dyin cloud

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Queen being dead is now the #1 trend in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of tweets and not a single tweet from any news agency dispelling the rumor and not a single mention from any of the commentators who are on twitter 24/7 :tinfoil:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Is the 170 missed posts a meltdown or what

Someone posted a rumour and it got discussed intimately for several pages. Also there was a crap ITV debate. Why yes, I've just caught up too.

Whomever posted The New Yorker article on how shite The Economist is. Tah, I enjoyed that.

My only contribution to Queen chat is if she is and we've managed a 24 hour ban on the coverage that's super weird. I just can't see someone in a foreign broadcaster or news agency reporting it even if our own press stays shtum

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

Someone posted a rumour and it got discussed intimately for several pages. Also there was a crap ITV debate. Why yes, I've just caught up too.

Whomever posted The New Yorker article on how shite The Economist is. Tah, I enjoyed that.

The queen dying while Andrew is the news is very funny

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

XMNN posted:

Arguably nonagenerian monarchs might be better than rule by capital given noblesse oblige is a thing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

blunt posted:

Queen being dead is now the #1 trend in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of tweets and not a single tweet from any news agency dispelling the rumor and not a single mention from any of the commentators who are on twitter 24/7 :tinfoil:

except 1

https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/status/1201273537706770432

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's just Morrissey short of a few bob for Christmas.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

can't help feeling a little sorry for mike gapes (even though he's mike gapes) seeing how much he bought into the whole TIGCUK idea, so sincere with the lanyards and everything. Then all the young'uns abandoned him and took their cachet to the lib dems. I wonder if they invited him...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I've looked and can't find anything.

Labour needs to sort itself out with this kind of thing. The one we get asked about a lot in our semi-rural constituency where we have quite a lot of people who are in relative poverty with small incomes but who have maybe a field attached to their home where they've lived 60 odd years is 'garden tax' as the MSM call it or 'land value tax'. Labour can't just write one liners like this without understanding how the words get twisted by MSM and frighten the horses.
They better make sure the £80k thing works! (And if that involves pointing out that there are people on apparently small incomes who do have a large income because of dividends, so be it).

yeah it's frustrating, I can kinda see it with what you're talking about (it won't affect as many people so they can maybe get away with it and treat it as a detail if it comes up) but the marriage allowance is gonna directly impact so many people, surely. It feels weird that there isn't a line to take that's out there being pushed

The idea that the economy's getting a huge amount of investment and transformative policy, and some people will pay a little more but there'll be huge benefits financial or otherwise, that makes sense and I think a lot of people would accept that - but the simple "nobody under 80k" line is fantastic, until it's shown to be untrue and then it gets a bit awkward

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The editor of a royal fan site :shrug:

There's enough press columnists on twitter 24/7 that I'd have expected at least one of them to do a "it's not true" post by now...

(I'm just projecting my desire to not go to work tomorrow)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

wooger posted:

Meanwhile there are people shouting down this unimpeachably fine Labour pro-diversity video by saying “Where are the Jews”. As though you can even tell.
Labour needs to institute a national policy on exactly who is and isn't Jewish otherwise they're antisemites. :byodood:

blunt posted:

There's enough press columnists on twitter 24/7 that I'd have expected at least one of them to do a "it's not true" post by now...
David Aaronovitch: The Queen is alive and well and Twitter user David Aaronovitch is very intelligent and buff and can do a hundred press-ups.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

blunt posted:

The editor of a royal fan site :shrug:

(I'm just projecting my desire to not go to work tomorrow)

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1201263709294858240?s=20

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Welp, better set my alarm after all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

on the one hand, yes, "educated guess her death won't be announced on a dick pic WhatsApp group", but on the other hand, it is 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
im gibbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
ed: nm found out how.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 2, 2019