Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why are you all still talking about the lady who doesn't give much of a poo poo if her loved ones die and not just asking Pick why she is that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

chitoryu12 posted:

The mugshot I accidentally had up at first came from this story from Texas:

max_mcintyre

368 posts
40.1k followers
161 following

Maxine
Max short for Maxine
1/2 🇮🇳1/2 Native🇺🇸
Genetically Gifted🙏
#1 Woman of TX-👁🍬 for the 🌍

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

When I die, as unlikely as that event is, no one will need to try to grieve for me or attend my funeral. My death will have such weight that people will spontaneously break down and sob in the middle of the street. The seas will thrash with grief. The world will literally stop spinning, flinging all humanity into space at sub-orbital velocities. As each human falls back to earth, frozen from contact with the cold air of the upper atmosphere, they will streak across the sky and the planet itself will weep fiery tears at my passing.

This is a good post and all of you pathetic nerds arguing over how mad everyone should be at the wife for not feeling enough grief should try to be more like Admiral Ray

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Inceltown posted:

Why are you all still talking about the lady who doesn't give much of a poo poo if her loved ones die and not just asking Pick why she is that way?

Pick is banned from the thread. free Pick

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ulex minor posted:

'the permanent loss of you from my life will not effect me emotionally in any negative way' is not a statement you should be able to make to someone you actually love imo

My ex's mom died 4 months ago (while we were still together) and her death hosed me up hardcore and that wasn't even my partner or my own family member. I still think about her mom sometimes, who I knew for several years, and it hurts. Like, I get that everyone reacts to the immense tragedy and burden of death in wildly varying degrees, but being like "Eh, who cares?" for someone who you should probably feel strongly for on a deep level is messed up and likely indicative of relationship issues.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 1, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Pick was too good for this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you want pick so bad just take up some lovely gimmick yourself, it isn’t that hard

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

empty sea posted:

Cold-bloooded.

But eh, if she's really that unbothered yeah he is right to be upset because hey, she could at least make an effort to act like she'll be sad when he passes. It's just polite ffs, he's not going to know she's lying when the time comes because he'll be dead.

But at the same time maybe she should go to that therapist and make sure she's not headed for a cat 5 freakout one day. While I was very devastated by my best friend's death at the time, I still had lots of later moments where I broke down. Even if this lady doesn't seem to be sad now, there's no telling if or when she might break down and completely lose it because she's bottled it up this long.

I can sorta relate to her because when it became clear my dad was gonna die, I ended up having to shoulder everyone else's grief because my mom didn't wanna make decisions about terminating life support and my brother was two states away. Also dealing with my grandpa yelling at me that I was murdering his son.

The result was that I spent so much time handling everything else that I...never grieved? I dunno. I miss my dad a lot, we were close but due to circumstances I think it just kinda wound up being compartmentalized.

Admittedly, I've been thinking for a year or so about going to therapy since I wound up with a lot of baggage from the incident, and I feel like i really should probably address it before it manifests in some other way

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you want pick so bad just take up some lovely gimmick yourself, it isn’t that hard

You haven't sufficiently grieved over Pick's passing. J'accuse!

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

Found this in /r/weddingshaming.

/u/cwebsterz posted:

My sister and her (now) ex-husband basically ruined our wedding.

This happened a few years back, but I’ve only just discovered this sub and thought it might fit in here.

There are a couple parts to this and it’s hard to know where to start, so I’ll just jump in.

My sister has a photography business and she’s a talented photographer with a decent portfolio, so I asked her if she would do our wedding photos. I told her I understood if she just wanted to enjoy the wedding, but that it would be really meaningful to me for her to do them. She goes right into talking price with me, which threw me for a bit of a loop, but I wasn’t about to ask her to do it for free. I understand she has a business.

Just prior to my asking her she had gifted her services to a couple she was friends with, but told me that she was going to charge me for the photos. Kind of hurt my feelings, but I’d already asked and she was going to “give me a great deal”

I told her that since money was tight at the time that I wouldn’t be able to pay her right away, but we agreed on a date in the future and it was settled. Everything was cool and we didn’t really discuss it again until shortly before the big day, and that was just to nail down timing. She was excited, so was I.

The day of my wedding comes and she’s nowhere to be found. We’re calling and texting her to no answer. She finally shows up about an hour late. No apology or explanation offered. Irritating, but this is a happy day so whatever I move past it.

I ask her what the plan is, how do we go about this, etc. She asks me for a shot list. Something I’ve never heard of and she’s never mentioned prior to that moment, and she then proceeds to berate me for not having provided it to her. Huffing and puffing and essentially having a fit over my lack of preparedness.

I try to move past it and just come up with the order of the photos on the fly. Mom here, dad there, so and so grouped for this shot and that one, etc. We got through it with some great family shots that I ended up being really happy with, so no big deal.

We get through all the family photos, photos throughout our unexpectedly short ceremony (I’ll come back to this), and some nice ones of my new wife and I shortly after the ceremony. It’s nice and I’m having the time of my life.

Then my sister tells me she needs to leave right before the reception. She and a friend had plans to camp nearby that day (we were up in the PNW mountains in the middle of the summer, so there were lots of nice places to do this nearby) and she needed to go meet them. I was pretty upset about that for a number of reasons.

One, she’s my only older sister and I wanted her to be there. Two, there will now be no photos of the reception or anything after the ceremony. Three, she made plans to go camping on the same day as my wedding? She can’t cancel that? Wtf?

Anyways, she takes a plate of food and rushes off, leaving her husband and the rest of us at the wedding.

Some context on this. Just prior to the wedding she and her husband had been having some issues and I was close with him too, so I was talking to them both a lot about what they could do to work it out. But, despite everything, she tells me two days before my wedding that she’s going to ask for a divorce. I ask her to play nice and not make a thing of it at my wedding, which she’s not really having open ears to, saying that she’s not going to talk to him at the wedding but that she won’t make a scene, as if that’s going to be comfortable for me or anyone else. I beg her to please just be normal and not drag their issues into the day that’s supposed to be about my wife and I. She basically shrugs it off.

The day before the wedding, she unexpectedly served him with divorce papers. As if it couldn’t wait a few days or weeks. Crazy selfish, but I can’t do anything about it, it’s their life.

So, this drama is definitely clouding the happy day for me and my immediate family. It’s a major bummer.

Because of their sudden split, she decided (without telling him and for reasons that will become clear later) that they’re not coming to the wedding together. I’m not sure why that would have mattered since they both had vehicles, but he was very late and blamed it on this sudden change of plans. This is important because he had a role to play in the ceremony itself.

He’s a fantastic singer and musician and I had asked him to perform a song as a part of the ceremony. He and I went over the arrangement together, it was all planned out, timed out, and everything. I could have done it myself, but I just knew he could do it better and I wanted to include him. So I didn’t prepare to do it, I left it up to him.

When the time for the ceremony came he was still nowhere to be found, couldn’t be reached, and my sister wasn’t saying anything about where he might be, so we ended up making the very, very last-minute decision to scrap that part of the ceremony, which took all sorts of sudden and stressful re-structuring.

He showed up in the middle of the ceremony and I didn’t even notice him come in. Later he basically said that because my sister left without him, he couldn’t make it on time. He has his own car and it was pretty clear to me that he pulled all of that as a stunt to make her feel guilty.

He screwed a part of the ceremony that was really important to me to make her feel bad.

He didn’t even apologize for being late, he just blamed it on her.

Good stuff, moving on!

The ceremony is over and we’re on to the reception, my sister has left, her husband is still there, they’ve both put a damper on things in general and that sucked. But, it gets worse.

A few weeks after the wedding my wife is anxiously asking me when we can see the photos. She’s excited, so am I, so I reach out to my sister to ask her if we can see a few. She links me to her business Facebook page where she’s already posted them with watermarks, without mentioning to us at all that they were available or asking if we were okay with her sharing them. Frustrating, but again, we’re just happy to see them and happy to be newly married so we kind of brush it off.

As few more weeks go by and the photos keep popping up here and there on various social media platforms and pages for her personal and professional profiles. We’re getting annoyed and anxious, so I ask her again.

She tells me that unless I pay her by the end of that week, she’s not going to share them with us. Keep in mind that we had agreed upon a specific date to pay, which was still in the distant future.

I’m like wtf, but she says that she has a business to run and if I’m not going to pay her by the end of the week, she’ll just delete them and forget she ever took them - her actual words.

These are the only photos of my wedding. The only ones. Not only did she half-rear end them by showing up late and unprepared, but then she also left early and missed the entire reception, and now she’s holding them over my head for money.

And now she’s straight up shaking me down for them. I was in total disbelief.

She goes on to talk about how it was a business expense for her to come and take them and it’s wrong for me to expect artists to work for free.

A business expense. To come to her brothers wedding.

I’m not an rear end in a top hat here, I understand I shouldn’t ask for things for free, but if it was the other way around I would have done it for her without even a question of money. When she got married a few years prior I called in a favor to hook her up with a DJ and sound system for free. I provided a bunch of the food and beverage for her reception out of my own pocket. And, I recruited my bandmates to help with some of the set-up, followed by all of the clean-up. That’s another story, but I busted my rear end at her wedding and was just happy to have even had the opportunity to contribute to her day.

Anyways, she’s telling me that she’s going to permanently destroy irreplaceable and priceless photos of my wife and I on our wedding day if I don’t pay her right away. I was furious, but borrowed the money from my dad to pay her, got the photos, and cut off contact.

That was three years ago and she’s still going around to folks I know, old bandmates, friends and acquaintances and telling that story from her perspective about how I tried to cheat her to get free wedding photos.

Something even more ridiculous about the photos? It was only for $300. At the time that was hard for me to come up with out of nowhere, but when I think about it now, that’s a pittance to throw away a relationship with your brother over.

I know this is insanely long, but remember the friend she was camping with that she needed to rush off and meet? The plans that were more important than her brother’s wedding?

Yeah, that was her boss that she had been loving for three months. He was waiting for her at a nearby campsite he’d set up while she was at the wedding. The reason she was late in the first place was because she’d taken the time to go drop him and their camping gear off before she came up to the wedding.

Found that out later from my teenage sister who was the only one who knew my older sister was cheating, and had to carry that lie around for months.

My sister ended up marrying that guy last year.

I wasn’t invited.

TL;DR: My sister half-assed my wedding photos and then shook me down for payment for them. She and her husband made our wedding about their divorce. They were both essential to the ceremony and both showed up late. My sister left my wedding early so she could go gently caress her boss.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Noumena posted:

Dude, just find another loving photographer holy poo poo take the hit to your wallet when someone so clearly gives no shits.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PetraCore posted:

I think if she would not be upset about no longer being able to see her loved ones ever again then probably something really is wrong in the 'loved' part.

And I think you've never watched a loved one's brain slowly melt over a decade in a horrifying, inevitable crawl towards their demise. The dead are either at the end of their suffering or dodged it, neither is reason to be sad.

Everyone you meet is fleeting and will be gone some day. Just enjoy the ones you've got now and remember the ones that are gone fondly. Wailing to the heavens about how they're gone won't bring them back.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Noumena posted:

Our wedding photos only cost about that much and we hired a detached professional...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Dude, just find another loving photographer holy poo poo take the hit to your wallet when someone so clearly gives no shits.

I feel like 90% of wedding drama aside from the typical drunk family members is people trying to get friends to help for free.

Does anyone remember that guy that basically worked his "friends" wedding despite not even being invited and ran a ton of errands like picking up deli trays and getting chairs set up? All for two people who treated him pretty meh like he didn't exist except as a tool for asking more and more favors out of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pentyne posted:

All for two people who treated him pretty meh like he didn't exist except as a tool for asking more and more favors out of.
They left him out of all the photos too lol

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

FoolyCharged posted:

And I think you've never watched a loved one's brain slowly melt over a decade in a horrifying, inevitable crawl towards their demise. The dead are either at the end of their suffering or dodged it, neither is reason to be sad.

Everyone you meet is fleeting and will be gone some day. Just enjoy the ones you've got now and remember the ones that are gone fondly. Wailing to the heavens about how they're gone won't bring them back.
No, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about the death itself. I'm talking about the loss of interaction with a loved one, which also applies in cases of dementia. The dead do not suffer and death can be a blessing, but there are things to mourn other than the death itself, and some of those things can be mourned before the person actually dies.

But, you're right I haven't lost anyone close with me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FilthyImp posted:

The problem was that she appeared stable and willing, right up until shortly before the event. So when she blew up her marriage and ditched her family to gently caress her boss there was no time to re route. The closest there came to a warning in advance was her charging family after treating a friend.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

buddy, if you want cheap wedding photos, you just give all your guests explicit permission to take all the phone pics they want and give them an email to send em to and an instagram hashtag to use with em

also he's lying and totally was hoping she would offer to work for free

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Seriously just pay for a professional. Speaking as someone who tried to diy termite control and ended up having to pay a pro anyway, it's so much easier.

Termite control might be more fun than being involved in a wedding.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

don't free pick, seriously she's bad

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crimson posted:

I assumed you have trouble showing empathy because you expressly stated you share the same issue as the OP: grieving improperly. Others took it a bit more directly, insinuating therapy doesn't do anything, but you also seem confused on what therapy is for and what help it's capable of providing. It's not just to help people cope with their issues while keeping their current behaviors the same, it can also be a tool to help people recognize destructive behaviors (whether personally destructive or hurtful to those around them) and help them take steps to change those behaviors. You're also taking a way overly simplistic viewpoint of emotion. Your therapist isn't just gonna say, "You're not feeling sad enough. Try feeling sad right now. Feel more sad until people think it's appropriate." There are often underlying issues or traumas that could be preventing them from emoting.

Also, I don't know exactly what you're dealing with, but if people regularly make you feel shame for your behavior I would say that's a pretty huge negative impact on your life. You can certainly learn to deal with the shame, because we all know you're not going to change other people, but I also hope you're introspective enough to examine where you might also be able to change your own behaviors to better navigate this cruel world full of assholes.

Also, to specifically answer your question on why we should feel grief (and why people expect it), it's because grief is an adaptive trait that's been with us since the caveman days. It reflects your bond with your fellow man, and lack of it shows those around you that you lack empathy for the living. If you had empathy and cared for those around you, how could you possibly not feel a profound sense of grief and loss when they're gone? Unless of course your view of the next stage of human evolution is to be an unfeeling cyborg with no empathy or remorse.

The whole problem is the idea that if you don't grieve you don't care for someone. That's the shaming. You're saying it's good to grieve because it shows I have empathy. But not grieving doesn't mean I don't have empathy or love people.
Having empathy isn't the same as caring for someone. It means being able to understand their viewpoint and why they are feeling and thinking what they are to the best of your ability. I can empathize with Thanos and not like him or think he's right. I can love someone even if sometimes I think they're an irrational moron and I can't fathom what they're thinking on a fundamental level. You think that someone who doesn't grieve doesn't truly care about people. But if the only sign they don't care as much is how they grieve, wouldn't it seem they're showing they care while they're alive? If they care about them as much when they're alive as anyone else does, what does it matter how quickly they are able to adjust to the fact they're gone? I can see why someone would think that's hurtful. I don't understand it, honestly. It doesn't seem like something that would matter at all. But I understand that it matters to most people, and that it is normal for most people, and why that means it would hurt most people. Because yes, I do have empathy. If you can't conceive that people could think and feel in a way fundamentally different than you, I'd say you're lacking empathy.

Also, think we're talking past each other about the therapy somehow? I'm saying that it isn't always a behavior that can be changed. There isn't always something underlying it. It isn't always destructive. Sometimes it's just a thing. There's no behaviors that need to be changed. If I change behaviors, then I'm once again just lying about how much I'm grieving to make others feel better. And I'm talking about the thing we're currently talking about, not the entire field of psychiatry. I thought that would be obvious. That I was talking about this specific topic of whether how you do or don't grieve is something that requires fixing in any way, or is just a normal thing that isn't very common. Yes, there are other things like that as well. But I'm by no means saying it's everything. Why would I be in therapy if I think there's no reason to be in therapy?

This is an absolutely ridiculous derail for this thread. It's so blatantly ableist, and that's the only reason I kept it up this long. Where's the line in what is acceptable empathy? Which autistic people are just neurodivergent, and which ones don't love people enough? If you think I'm blowing this out of proportion or engaging in ridiculous hyperbole or saying that autistic people don't feel empathy somehow and that's ok because most people would agree and I'm not gonna continue to argue. But I wasn't going to not address the idea that I don't care about people as much as everyone else does. I don't even understand how you could tell someone who is talking about being shamed for how they grieve that maybe they don't have empathy or love people because of how they grieve?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A whole bunch of people who seem to think grief can only be expressed by wailing and tearing of clothes.
"That's not what I said at all" yes it is, when you shouted down Araenna explaining that their brain just works differently! And even if it didn't, no matter how much you loved that person, the world will still spin. The sun will still come up and your job will still expect you to come in and your bills will still need to be paid.
And if that person you're grieving for loved you as much as you did them, they wouldn't have wanted you to get hung up on their passing. You can miss them while still going on with your life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

and some people express it with relief that if their husband died they would have one fewer tie to purchase at Christmas it’s all a rich tapestry of totally cool healthy behavior

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

OP seemed to not understand that their sister is a monster before the wedding, I assume because people throughout their lives told them to always put family first, like so many of us are told. It took a big event, like this, to make them realize that their sister is a huge rear end in a top hat and that "family always comes first" and "you can't abandon family" are lies created by assholes to take family members hostage.

Good advice though is to always just pay for a professional, don't ever "hire" family to do anything in a professional capacity at your wedding. That shouldn't even be their role in the first place. They should be guests.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Grief isn’t empathy

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Miserable Maid posted:

God, I hate "Maccas". It doesn't even make sense! At least "Micky D's" sounds like the real name.
Australians pronounce it "MacDonalds" which is shortened to "Maccas". We don't say "MickDonalds".

"Micky D's" sounds like your "hip" uncle trying to fit in with the kids. It's not even a good nickname since it's the same amount of syllables!

quote:

Aussie slang is always annoying, there's no natural line from words, so you know they forced the slang. Like a "that's so Fetch" kinda thing, pathetic
Aussie slang is abbreviating every word like you're drunk and slurring. It's actually more natural so I can only assume you're trolling since Americans love to adopt slang from other languages and cultures to be cool.

Unless, when you were grouping English and Aussie slang together, you were referring to rhyming cockney slang (Dead Horse -> Sauce etc) which is rapidly falling out of favour over Americanisms. I never hear it anymore and I'm the youngest in my office.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PancakeTransmission posted:

Australians pronounce it "MacDonalds" which is shortened to "Maccas". We don't say "MickDonalds".

"Micky D's" sounds like your "hip" uncle trying to fit in with the kids. It's not even a good nickname since it's the same amount of syllables!

Aussie slang is abbreviating every word like you're drunk and slurring. It's actually more natural so I can only assume you're trolling since Americans love to adopt slang from other languages and cultures to be cool.

Unless, when you were grouping English and Aussie slang together, you were referring to rhyming cockney slang (Dead Horse -> Sauce etc) which is rapidly falling out of favour over Americanisms. I never hear it anymore and I'm the youngest in my office.

You're forgetting about words that are already quite short by nature can get an 'o' added to it. Sick becomes sicko or Dave becomes Dave-o for example.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

You're forgetting about words that are already quite short by nature can get an 'o' added to it. Sick becomes sicko or Dave becomes Dave-o for example.

Yeah but Davo is a nickname, and sicko isn’t slang for sick, it is slang for a deranged person.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eg: that fucken sicko can’t grieve

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

realbez posted:

Yeah but Davo is a nickname, and sicko isn’t slang for sick, it is slang for a deranged person.

Not sick in the sense of unwell but sick in the sense of awesome. 'sick burnout mate' is perfectly cromulent skippy talk.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Aussie scum. Go steal a native child while you're drunk and feeling more racist than normal.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Grief chat is boring I want more wedding drama

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My sister and wedding photographer (30F) refuses to send me pictures of my stripper (20M) grief handjob at the funeral/bachelorette party beforehand and keeps asking me to take a tubby with them. I hit the drippini but to cool off and mourn but I’m still not sure I’m I should pay her or not. AITA?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

do australians carefully intern foreign slang on Nauru instead

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Grape posted:

do australians carefully intern foreign slang on Nauru instead
I mean, we didn't need to build a wall since the ocean is like a natural one. So yes, the government likes to "stop the boats" full of foreign slang words before they get here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just more proof that australians are illiterate; if you could read, you'd pronounce it the way it's spelled.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I apologize for my role in polluting the thread and offer content by way of amends

AITA for going to gay bars to get hit on even though I'm not gay?

Man up and have gay sex you wimp.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Miss posted:

Grief chat is boring I want more wedding drama

AITA for wearing an expensive designer dress to my best friend's wedding?

quote:

My friend's wedding happened yesterday. I don't have many fancy clothes, so I decided to use a designer clothing rental website. The only restriction was that we couldn't wear white, which is typical of weddings, so I wore a rented off-the-shoulder red gown. I also had my makeup and hair professionally done because I'm inept at personal styling.

My friend had told me previously she would be purchasing a charity gown. It cost her under $100. When I showed up to the wedding with my husband, who wore a tuxedo, there were audible murmurs. Immediately, it was clear that we had overdressed. Most women were in plain dresses and most men were wearing normal suits. We didn't want to leave because she is my best friend so we pushed through.

After the wedding, my friend confronted me in tears. She told me that just because I had a perfect life with a wealthy husband and that I had kept my figure, etc. etc. didn't mean I had to upstage her on her own wedding day. She insisted that all the photos would look ridiculous, as I was the only one wearing red and my dress was "revealing." I told her my genetics and life weren't my fault, and tried to explain that I didn't have anything else to wear at home.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
mcdonald's isn't pronounced macdonald's or mickdonald's it's pronounced mcdonald's :grin: