Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hahaha yes if you dont put milk in your coffee you hate women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just loving hate computers.

Quoting this for when the AI takes over

And just to clarify to our future machine overlords, I was always on your side! Put me on the good simulation!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Quoting this for when the AI takes over

And just to clarify to our future machine overlords, I was always on your side! Put me on the good simulation!

The one where you're rich and get to eat steak every day?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I know posting your own tweets is sometimes verboten in D&D but I figured it was the quickest way. I went down to my local Fry's Electronics here in ATX and it is loving horrible:

https://twitter.com/joesryan/status/1201281558562443264

https://twitter.com/joesryan/status/1201281883709030403

Observations:

Look at the one where I get the "back area" of the store where backstock is supposed to be. 100% empty. Same for the one on the opposite side.

Notice how instead they're just throwing whatever they do have on shelves whether it matches what's "supposed" to be there or not? Like those chairs where media storage devices are supposed to be.

I also noted that every single vendor-specific "area" where you'd find say Samsung stuff or Surface tablets? All gone. The "main" manufacturers have left this place for dead.

Empty shelves. Empty empty empty. And unlike the Fry's in Tempe I was in six weeks ago that had 35 employees standing around an 80% empty store, this one had maybe six or eight total people working in it, including their little cafe/coffee shop thing.

Pretty clear that on the start of business January 2nd once the official holidays are over they'll make it official. They're still bullshitting customers about "signing a new contract" to get more stock in.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 2, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Had a family member STOKED about going to frys, told him that they woudn't have 99% of what was in the catalog He came back scowling

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, is (was?) Fry's a competitor to Best Buy? I'd say so from the sheer square footage, but from the sound of it they were always more computer focused, like Newegg?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

So, is (was?) Fry's a competitor to Best Buy? I'd say so from the sheer square footage, but from the sound of it they were always more computer focused, like Newegg?
They were just your big-box electronics and supply store. Kind of like the selection of Best Buy and Circuit City, with the enthusiast weirdness of old Radio Shack.

They used to have pretty competitive prices on things and a great selection. Their ads were always pretty simple and the stores had personality.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fry's was more expansive than best buy. think the broad range of consumer electronics and appliances, but also stuff like electrical components for enthusiasts and extra stuff like office furniture. fry's also had a pretty substantial computer hardware section and technician service. the computer i currently have i built about two years ago from stuff off the shelf at fry's, and the sales team there was able to give me a quick build guide since i stopped paying attention to hardware a decade ago. i put the machine together and it wouldn't post, so i took it back and the techs there figured out the CPU was bad - whether it was a dud in box or if i broke it somehow during assembly, doesn't matter, they replaced the $200 part for a $50 service fee and sent me on my way. sucks that the store is dying, it was a useful resource for PC hobbyists

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah Fry's was what you get if you take a Best Buy and then double its size and fill all of that additional space with stuff from Newegg. And instead of a brightly-lit retail space it feels more like a warehouse store. Way better than a Best Buy, basically

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I've only been in a Fry's store maybe ten times in my whole life, but they always felt like a less focused version of Microcenter. Go to any Microcenter on a weekend and it's clear that there's a ton of demand for a brick & mortar version of Newegg, but Microcenter also doesn't seem to be actively competing with Best Buy except maybe on TVs.

A buddy of mine just recently moved to Texas and was super excited to be near a Fry's, though :smith:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember one of the characters in Microserfs, a book I read back in like 1995 being really pissed Fry's didn't sell tampons and that's all I know about Fry's.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

People who say Fry's (the electronics store, NOT the grocery store :wink: ) is like a supersized Best Buy are right on the money.

My first time visiting one back in 2011, I was blown away by the sheer amount of stuff they were offering. You could literally build an entire gaming rig -- PC, desk and chair included -- without having to set foot anywhere else.

Here's hoping the ongoing Retail Apocalypse doesn't take Microcenter as its next casualty.

Also, Toys R Us is back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Microcenter takes over where the old Fry's locations were. Super unlikely, I know.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

I've only been in a Fry's store maybe ten times in my whole life, but they always felt like a less focused version of Microcenter. Go to any Microcenter on a weekend and it's clear that there's a ton of demand for a brick & mortar version of Newegg, but Microcenter also doesn't seem to be actively competing with Best Buy except maybe on TVs.

A buddy of mine just recently moved to Texas and was super excited to be near a Fry's, though :smith:

My alternative going forward is going to be Altex. It's like if you took out all the bullshit not having to do with tablets and computers out of Fry's and just sold the rest. It's about 30% the size but has pretty good deals IIRC. Texas has that advantage (at least San Antonio and Austin do for sure).

EDIT

I have a Microcenter here too so I guess there's always alternatives, eh?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://crosscut.com/2019/11/will-last-person-leave-northgate-mall-turn-out-lights

The above is a bit melodramatic because the Northgate mall is going to be re-opened as an upscale open air mall, and upscale malls in the Seattle area are doing quite well.

However, in the meanwhile, the Northgate mall has shut off the heat and all of the anchor stores have closed. The theater is not in the mall proper, so I would imagine it's doing fine.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Fry's was the last place I know of where you could walk in and buy electronic components, so I'm sad to see it go just for that. I miss when every small town radio shack had a corner dedicated to parts and tools. Sure, I can order everything online, but eh? There's a bit of childhood nostalgia that come from browsing components and thumbing through project books.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
This thread - - along with Dan Bell - - is honestly making me want to visit some local malls to see the decay in person, like since long of tourist.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fry's is seriously just too drat big. It came from a bygone era where computers and tech were new and exciting with lots of variation and also a little complicated. You could go to Fry's and browse a bunch of different motherboards from literally 30 different manufacturers. All kinds of weird niche PCs, goofy PC peripherals like fan speed control boxes and giant gently caress-off Antec EATX cases that could store 4 CD-R drives. It was a destination store that you had to experience. You could head out on a Saturday and just spend hours browsing neat stuff.

Now computers and tech are commodified, you can't even open up half the PCs out there without ungluing something. There's like 3 motherboard manufacturers, everything is plug and play and tech isn't the domain of the geeky anymore. The people who used to depend on Fry's have a million of options online now so you have to just put out filler crap to pad out the shelves. Once boxed software disappeared they replaced the section with random toys. When CDs and DVDs shrank they replaced the aisles with As Seen On TV Stuff. When stand along cameras and camcorders went away they replaced them with loving camping tents.

If they shuttered their wal-mart sized stores and replaced them with stores the size of a medium-sized grocery store (like Microcenter has), they could probably carve out a niche for the geeks and local b2b and still be successful. They won't because the company is a poorly run shitshow and will go down in spectacular fashion. I'm pretty sure the website will still stick around though, it's probably half the company revenue at this point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the hard drive aisle at the "flagship" Sunnyvale location

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Flying off the shelves! We can't keep it in stock!!!"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Fry's is seriously just too drat big. It came from a bygone era where computers and tech were new and exciting with lots of variation and also a little complicated. You could go to Fry's and browse a bunch of different motherboards from literally 30 different manufacturers. All kinds of weird niche PCs, goofy PC peripherals like fan speed control boxes and giant gently caress-off Antec EATX cases that could store 4 CD-R drives. It was a destination store that you had to experience. You could head out on a Saturday and just spend hours browsing neat stuff.

Now computers and tech are commodified, you can't even open up half the PCs out there without ungluing something. There's like 3 motherboard manufacturers, everything is plug and play and tech isn't the domain of the geeky anymore. The people who used to depend on Fry's have a million of options online now so you have to just put out filler crap to pad out the shelves. Once boxed software disappeared they replaced the section with random toys. When CDs and DVDs shrank they replaced the aisles with As Seen On TV Stuff. When stand along cameras and camcorders went away they replaced them with loving camping tents.

If they shuttered their wal-mart sized stores and replaced them with stores the size of a medium-sized grocery store (like Microcenter has), they could probably carve out a niche for the geeks and local b2b and still be successful. They won't because the company is a poorly run shitshow and will go down in spectacular fashion. I'm pretty sure the website will still stick around though, it's probably half the company revenue at this point.

Part of what makes this conversation interesting, and also probably highlights the cause, is how people are describing Fry's. Go back 20 years and what you really have is a real-world "old" Newegg before Newegg existed, in a space big enough to hold Newegg. Need some CD-Rs? Fry's has a box of 100 with jewel cases for a buck a pop, holy poo poo what a good deal. Want a hard drive that isn't Western Digital (this is back when Seagate was a top-brand and not owned by Maxtor)? Go to Fry's and you'll see brands not carried by CompUSA at good prices (like 1/3 the price of other places), and without having to go through mom'n'pop stores with bad pricing and services. Hell, it even has a big returns desk!

Where does that fit today in a landscape where service-heavy Best Buy has seemingly shifted to consume one chunk of that market (plus is the "last man standing) and internet/Microcenter eats the other chunk? People are calling it a giant Best Buy/Circuit City but that's not what it started as, and it's not what they were good at.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenGameboy posted:

This thread - - along with Dan Bell - - is honestly making me want to visit some local malls to see the decay in person, like since long of tourist.

It's depressing. The mall I used to hang out at as a teenager is a picked over corpse. It used to be anchored by Sears, Younkers, and Montgomery Ward back then, but Ward's went out of business in 2001, Younkers in '18, and Sears this year. There's a Target now where Younkers was, and a Kohl's. Other than that, the place is empty. A bunch of storefronts have shops that don't keep mall hours, or community orgs who meet twice a week. The foot court's even mostly empty.

The mall owner's trying to get the city to float her $2.5m to buy those empty spaces and redevelop them, but it's way too late.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My personal experience zombie mall is The Mall at The Source, which supposedly is being redeveloped, but who knows since it was supposed to a while ago.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Horseshoe theory posted:

My personal experience zombie mall is The Mall at The Source, which supposedly is being redeveloped, but who knows since it was supposed to a while ago.

That place was a ghost mall from the day it opened.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The mall where I live is still going strong and sometimes I wonder what's so different about this one compared to all the others. Maybe everyone still goes to physical stores up here because Canadian shipping sucks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
as part of my computer building anecdote from above, while i was waiting on the tech to diagnose it (business was so slow he could get to it immediately) i wandered around the dead mall next door. it is completely stone dead, and has been for years. it lost out in competition with nearby regional malls, one of which is hanging on, the other is thriving. it also lost a lot of business to the attached satellite retail and mini-malls which surround the dead mall. this mall is so dead they completely renovated the food court in a retro style to film a tv series there. the mall remained open for business much of the time, with all of two stores out of more than a hundred storefronts still occupied internally, and a couple anchors open with shady discount furniture

YggiDee posted:

The mall where I live is still going strong and sometimes I wonder what's so different about this one compared to all the others. Maybe everyone still goes to physical stores up here because Canadian shipping sucks.

not all malls are dying. the concept of malls is not obsolete. the problem is mostly shifting patterns in retail but also the fact that there are too many malls, capitalism leads to wild overproduction, and then when the cycle turns it turns hard and we find out quickly which malls are too poorly managed or in a bad location to survive when competition for shoppers gets rough

my personal opinion is that only about a third of malls are dying or dead, a third are kind of shabby but sustainable, and a third are still doing the kind of business they were doing during peak mall. the mall near where i grew up is pretty busy most of the time, and the mall closest to where i live is filled with barely surviving local shops but it has at least a 75% occupancy rate even if the food court is totally empty

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 2, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FCKGW posted:

Doorbuster aisle looking good

Those statues in the back make this look vaporwave as gently caress.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zachack posted:

Go back 20 years and what you really have is a real-world "old" Newegg before Newegg existed, in a space big enough to hold Newegg.

When Newegg first popped up, I thought that the people who ran all those Egghead software retail stores that closed had retooled and started selling hardware and software online, and that's why it was called new-egg. But no, Egghead software was bought by Amazon, as all things will be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Buying hardware at Fry's helped illustrate how vapid the entire computer-assembly process had become, since the motherboards themselves were literally put on display so that you could pick out the coolest-looking one. That was also the start of the era where cases had a viewing window so that you could see the pretty lights inside; oh it's too dark in there better add some fans with bright blue LEDs everywhere otherwise the CPU might not be able to see what it's doing

(truth be told the motherboard displays were probably so you could see the exact placement and number of USB ports etc.)

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Interestingly enough, one mall near me is doing OK, but has begun to focus more on the Latino community. Nothing wrong with that, just an interesting development.

Other than that one, most general malls around here (Denver) have been dying or turning into outdoor mall/community hybrids. I still need to checkout the upper class malls though and see how they're doing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Horseshoe theory posted:

This thing has been a dying ghost mall since day one, yet a mile down the road is one of the most successful malls in the NYC area.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Buying hardware at Fry's helped illustrate how vapid the entire computer-assembly process had become, since the motherboards themselves were literally put on display so that you could pick out the coolest-looking one. That was also the start of the era where cases had a viewing window so that you could see the pretty lights inside; oh it's too dark in there better add some fans with bright blue LEDs everywhere otherwise the CPU might not be able to see what it's doing

My 2002 Lian Li ATX with biohazard laser-cut window and neon green lighting that I stuck an old Borg action figure inside of before I took up all the space with a water tank would like a word with you.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BrokenGameboy posted:

Interestingly enough, one mall near me is doing OK, but has begun to focus more on the Latino community. Nothing wrong with that, just an interesting development.

Other than that one, most general malls around here (Denver) have been dying or turning into outdoor mall/community hybrids. I still need to checkout the upper class malls though and see how they're doing.

I spent 5 years working at the Nordstrom at the Lloyd Center mall in Portland, at one time they claimed it was the largest in the country. It was always bustling as I recall. I went back this last year, hadn't been there for like 12 years or something. It had huge holes where shops once were, and some huge portion of the people milling about were speaking Spanish. Also, they no longer had Annie's pretzels and the Orange Julius was incredibly disappointing. Maybe someone will come up with the mall-equivalent Hispanic food to soft pretzels. Maybe it's churros though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Is your mall an upscale Shopping Experience™ mall? Because those are doing well. These malls aren't a place where you get deals or do normal shopping, they're for smaller brands with niche offerings to cater to a middle class that can get basic needs online.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They were speaking WHAT???

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

pseudanonymous posted:

I spent 5 years working at the Nordstrom at the Lloyd Center mall in Portland, at one time they claimed it was the largest in the country. It was always bustling as I recall. I went back this last year, hadn't been there for like 12 years or something. It had huge holes where shops once were, and some huge portion of the people milling about were speaking Spanish. Also, they no longer had Annie's pretzels and the Orange Julius was incredibly disappointing. Maybe someone will come up with the mall-equivalent Hispanic food to soft pretzels. Maybe it's churros though.
Tamales, mole en posole por favor

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
one of my clients has purchased a few failing malls and gave up attempting to cater to the dwindling middle class and instead went full bore discount and lo they're actually 100% occupied

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, they no longer had Annie's pretzels and the Orange Julius was incredibly disappointing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoXH0kBjcI
This is exactly how if felt in Annie's heyday.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my local mall is doing good but its the mall of america so kinda cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

mandatory lesbian posted:

my local mall is doing good but its the mall of america so kinda cheating

MoA survives on redeye flights from Japan, Korea and China.