Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Waltzing Along posted:

What else was I supposed to do? I had seen other people sitting on benches earlier. Really tricky of the game to bait and switch you like that.

He didn't seem too hard, but I only had 2 health at the start of the fight so it didn't last long. I died while trying to heal for the 2nd time. But I didn't even get to his 2nd phase so whatever. I'll try again later.

Any advice on killing those crystal flies? Those things are bitches.

Yeah, those are annoying. One thing you can do is hold up and actually hit their projectiles away. So I think I spammed up and jump to kill them as quick as I could. That said, they become a much lesser problem the further you get in the game / have better charms.

There's one part in the mines at the start of the game where there are two in a dimly lit low ceiling cave part. I would lure them, then make a run for it due to not having enough health and/or blasting them with my projectiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got him on my 3rd try. Then found the crystal heart. And another key. I think that's the most accomplished in a short time I've felt so far. I'm really digging how the game opens up. Still not even sure what I'm supposed to do. I vaguely remember the hornet lady telling me to do something but I didn't really understand what she meant. More wandering.

E: Backtracking question. Kinda spoilery. Anyway, based on areas I couldn't get to, I am guessing at some point I will be able to swim and that I will get a super jump or double jump. Something that allows me to jump higher. I'm just wondering if that is it or will there be other things I need to fully backtrack and grab all the goodies? I'm just about certain of the jumping thing because I've seen a number of places I couldn't jump to that didn't have another way to get to them. And for swimming I'm not so certain other than one spot where there was a zig zag thing through the water that there was no way I could go through so that makes sense. Or maybe it doesn't. In the city I was swimming in the water at the bottom. Hmm.. Maybe because it was cold water rather than hot?

E2: just remembered another thing. A black barrier I couldn't get through. But that seems more like an on/off switch sorta thing. Maybe the crystal heart will pop me through it. Gonna go try that.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
it won't work, that's a different powerup you get very late

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I've learned a lesson. If I can afford anything, go buy it before exploring. I tried the spikey area in greenpath. After my first death my ghost was in the middle and I was able to retrieve him. But no way back. So I moved on but didn't get to the end...but my ghost did. And there goes all my $$$ again.

Well, now that I have no $$$ I might as well brute force this thing. gently caress that sucked, though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The distinction between liquids is the one that hurts you is acid (and is slightly green/sizzles/etc because it's fantasy acid) and regular water is fine. There is a powerup that lets you swim safely in acid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, that makes sense. And I think I am done w/ platforming challenges for a while. Bosses kill me. Platforming challenges kill me. The rest is fine. I think I'll head back to the city and see if anything has changed since I killed the boss. I was trying to get back to the mantis village but got distracted and died on a challenge. I did get through the spikes challenge and get an upgrade swing. I got excited because I thought he was gonna upgrade the nail but I'll take a new attack.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Steel Soul attempt:

- Hey guys, this is not too hard.
- False Knight is pretty easy? Wow. Easier than I remember!
- Greenpath is going great!
- Hornet is pretty easy, just gotta pace myself
- I'm doing great, I'll take on those two bush guard dudes for that sweet money pile
- OKAY gently caress retreat retreat there is a bench near by...
- Oh poo poo that Bush dude who charges me took me down to one health ok well the bench is near and I don't wanna cheat by quitting the game and

Then another bush charger got me.

Man. Don't know how peeps do this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm really digging how the game opens up. Still not even sure what I'm supposed to do. I vaguely remember the hornet lady telling me to do something but I didn't really understand what she meant. More wandering.

As it should be. :)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I've learned a lesson. If I can afford anything, go buy it before exploring. I tried the spikey area in greenpath. After my first death my ghost was in the middle and I was able to retrieve him. But no way back. So I moved on but didn't get to the end...but my ghost did. And there goes all my $$$ again.

Well, now that I have no $$$ I might as well brute force this thing. gently caress that sucked, though.

There's an NPC behind the locked door in the graveyard (requeires a Simple key) next to Dirtmouth who can summon your ghost from wherever it is to the graveyard, in exchange for 1 Rancid egg. She exists for pretty much exactly these situations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As bad as losing a lot of money feels, it's not actually that bad for you overall, you'll run out of things to buy eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ItBreathes posted:

As bad as losing a lot of money feels, it's not actually that bad for you overall, you'll run out of things to buy eventually.

Very true in both Souls games and Hollow Knight, although the 'bark is worse than your bite' effect I think is intentional.

The games need to be able to punish you to make you fear death and really get immersed and weigh your options, but they don't really want to be punishing. Losing your money is something that feels worse than it actually is, which is actually fantastic as a psychological deterrent and negative reinforcement without being crippling.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the heads up about the eggs. Was wondering what those were for. I'll remember that for next time.

I found the hollow vessel and got beat. So I wandered some more and found the dung defender. He seemed more my speed so I powered through him and found my way into the east part of the city.

I found a room at the top of the building in the east part of the city that had a bunch of spawning enemies. I died a bunch of times in there and by the time I finished I had over 2000. And a full soul globe. Not what I was expecting, but I am not complaining. With that $$ and the turn ins I did at the guy on the west side I had enough to buy two mask upgrades and get to my 7th health point. I had enough $ left over to buy another key.

I took the key to the only door the first key hadn't worked on that I had found. Didn't do well with the guy in there so decided to come back later and went exploring. I don't think it is possible to heal during that fight. It's just constant dodging and trying to get hits in

I finally found a pale ore and upgraded my sword. Then killed the dude and got an upgrade to my fireball. Sweet.

Then I went back to the waterways to see if I could find the map. Found something better instead! The tear thing that lets me swim in acid. I also found a fountain to throw $$ in. I'm guessing that after throwing a certain amount a fairy will come out and bless my sword or shield? OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a place to throw $$ away. I decided I need my $$ for now.

I'm debating between going back to that hollow vessel boss or just farming gold in the city until I can clear the inventories of the 3 guys I've found that sell charms. I'm leaning towards the boss because it's the only one I've found at this point so I am guessing it is blocking the way forward. And you guys said $$ becomes much easier later on. And the only big upgrade I see there is a soul fragment and it seems pointless to buy it when I just finished a globe.

Or I'll go back to the mine. I didn't finish exploring and there were a few places I meant to go back to. The dark area w/ those stupid crystal flies and some machinery stomper things. I also remember a few switches I didn't get to.

But man...getting those 3 big upgrades made me feel like a bad rear end. I still suck but my buffer is much larger.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hollow Vessel boss gives you a huge upgrade

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

Hollow Vessel boss gives you a huge upgrade

Got him on my first try. Well, technically 2nd. But my first real try. And now I feel like I can really explore. Woot!

E: gently caress enraged guardian. gently caress crystalized mound. yeah, that's fair.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have a possibly stupid question, but even after going through the wiki a bit I'm stumped. The youtube playthroughs I've seen, and now Waltzing there, said that they only entered the other half of the City of Tears after beating the Dung Defender. I am almost certain I had access to both sides of the city before even seeing the Royal Waterways. Is this possible through some route or another, or do I have false memories? :ohdear:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rappaport posted:

I have a possibly stupid question, but even after going through the wiki a bit I'm stumped. The youtube playthroughs I've seen, and now Waltzing there, said that they only entered the other half of the City of Tears after beating the Dung Defender. I am almost certain I had access to both sides of the city before even seeing the Royal Waterways. Is this possible through some route or another, or do I have false memories? :ohdear:

You might have got there through Deepnest and Kingdom's Edge, or iirc you can get there through Resting Grounds if you have the groundslam.

This game is really good about each area having a few different ways of discovering/unlocking them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it's really cool how often I am finding alternate routes.

And speaking of alternate routers, the infected crossroads sucks. At least, as far as I can tell, I've fully cleared it now.

I've cleared the shops in the main town and just have a couple items from the fat lady and the hobo charm seller. Are there other sellers around? Otherwise, I guess I'll finish them off (should have enough w/ turn ins to the guy in CoT) and then start throwing $$ in the fountain. Is the bank lady worthwhile? I opened an account but haven't been back since.

Oh, I guess I need $$ to do nail upgrades. I got excited when I found a 2nd ore but didn't notice I needed 2 this time. Well, hopefully I stumble into another one soon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Is the bank lady worthwhile?

yes!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally decided to check out the graveyard and got the dream nail. And now I have to do a bunch of backtracking. But after two fights w/ dream bosses I ended up with enough ore to upgrade again. Now I need 3 to upgrade again. I guess 4 after that?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Finally decided to check out the graveyard and got the dream nail. And now I have to do a bunch of backtracking. But after two fights w/ dream bosses I ended up with enough ore to upgrade again. Now I need 3 to upgrade again. I guess 4 after that?

3's the last upgrade.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found Deepnest after doing the mantis lords. I think I am mostly done there. Did the beast...that was kinda anticlimactic. Found a hidden boss. Also found a mask shard but can't figure out how to get to it. And found the tram pass. And then died to some dream boss guy. I think I'll come back to him.

All in all, a good day.

E: Oh, and I found a way to cheese the enraged guardian. If you can truly cheese any boss in this game. But standing on the right side and just wall jumping when needed seemed to work. For some reason he'd jump and land next to me but then shoot the other direction. Whack whack whack fireball! Not complaining.

E2: and you weren't kidding about $$. I have like 2k now and nothing to spend it on. And I tossed a bunch in the fountain until it wouldn't let me any more. I'm guessing at some point I will need a bunch for the final nail upgrade. 2 ore to go.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished the game, I guess. I'm assuming there are multiple endings because of what hornet said. Easy way or hard way. I guess I did it the easy way?

I thought I was the hollow knight. But I fought and beat him on the first try. Strange fight. At one point it looked like he was stabbing himself. And then I guess I took his place? So was that me I was fighting or something?

Then there was the thing about me being King. I have no idea what is going on.

I ended up upgrading my nail and my soul all the way. But wasn't able to find all the mask pieces. I think I have 1 or 2 left. I feel like I explored everything. I also had a bunch of missing charms so maybe I missed an area? The whole map seems filled in.

So, assuming that wasn't the real ending, what do I do now?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Have you gone to the bottom?

Like the bottom bottom.

Like booooooooooooottooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. Really far bottom.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You have to go find a very unique charm or charms which will unlock additional content.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Artelier posted:

Have you gone to the bottom?

Like the bottom bottom.

Like booooooooooooottooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. Really far bottom.

Below the abyss?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished the game, I guess. I'm assuming there are multiple endings because of what hornet said. Easy way or hard way. I guess I did it the easy way?

I thought I was the hollow knight. But I fought and beat him on the first try. Strange fight. At one point it looked like he was stabbing himself. And then I guess I took his place? So was that me I was fighting or something?

He's a metaphorical Protoman to your Megaman. He was stabbing himself because he does not like what's in him.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
To be less coy: you need to get

Two halves of the kingsoul charm.

One: one half is inside the queen's garden, behind a boss

Two: The other half is in the memory of the white palace. You need to hit the corpse in the ancient basin with a souped up dream nail

After finding that you must: go to the bottom of the abyss; you can now go deeper than previously

Then fight the final boss again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The whole 1800 essence thing and the White Palace being so bullshit felt overturned for the 'true' ending. Shoulda been like half of both, I think.

At least they didn't force you to do Path of Pain for that kingsoul.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the clues. I'll go finish the queens garden. I could have sworn I finished. The map looks complete. I must have missed the boss somehow. I hate that place and wanted out pretty quickly. And I guess I need to upgrade my nail some more. I need to go find more dead bosses and figure out which ones I can fight. I got Mote and the Lost Kin?

Ah, and I never finished the beehive boss. Forgot about him.

And how do I farm 15k gold. Stupid bug ate my charm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Then there was the thing about me being King. I have no idea what is going on.

I ended up upgrading my nail and my soul all the way. But wasn't able to find all the mask pieces. I think I have 1 or 2 left. I feel like I explored everything. I also had a bunch of missing charms so maybe I missed an area? The whole map seems filled in.

So, assuming that wasn't the real ending, what do I do now?

You got the bad ending ;) but its worth doing and seeing. But there's a good chunk of game left, good news!

Waltzing Along posted:

Put on greed charm, put on the money flies charm, run through the game world for awhile. You make money REAL fast with those two on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jeeves posted:

The whole 1800 essence thing and the White Palace being so bullshit felt overturned for the 'true' ending. Shoulda been like half of both, I think.

At least they didn't force you to do Path of Pain for that kingsoul.

The White Palace is good, friend.

The requirements for the true ending are actually really cool game design because they represent a trial for each of the core elements of Hollow Knight gameplay: exploration, combat and platforming. Getting 1800 essence is mastery of exploration, the post buff Traitor Lord is mastery of combat and the White Palace is mastery of platforming. By demonstrating you are can do all three of Hollow Knight's main elements, you earn the right to fight the Radiance.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 6, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

If your nail is maxed out, go beat up Great Husk Sentries in the City of Tears.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Waltzing Along posted:

If you haven't found any unique enemies near the king's station, try searching the houses near there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Waltzing Along posted:

Fool!

The other suggestions are better though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I was going to fire up my old save and try to tackle some of the hard end game poo poo I can’t beat...

I pushed the start new game button instead.

:argh: Hollow Knight!!! :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So yeah...the white palace sucks. I might be done. This isn't even remotely fun, it's just annoying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is, in fact, very good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

So yeah...the white palace sucks. I might be done. This isn't even remotely fun, it's just annoying.

It's real bad but it's worth bearing with it. Some very good content behind it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its not nearly as long as it seems at first. If you're struggling a lot you're probably at the hardest part, and if you just get a tiny bit further you'd basically be done.

The only really really hard part is the path of pain which is optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

A good charm setup is key to the White palace IMO. Hiveblood + grubsong gives you near-infinite attempts if you have some patience. Maybe throw in one of the nail-lengthening charms to make the pogo-ing easier.