Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's -16 C out and the window sill is a chilly place to be, but that's apparently not going to stop Sera from sitting there all poofed up and making fussy noises about it.

And then walking on me with his cold little needle feet aaaaaaah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd assume earplugs are just a challenge for LOUDER SCREM.

I have a decibels meter on my phone and I clocked him at 93db so far. I'm sure he has been even louder, it's kind of impressive

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Hakarne posted:

I have a decibels meter on my phone and I clocked him at 93db so far. I'm sure he has been even louder, it's kind of impressive

I know have something I must do.

Measure a screm with my watch decibel meter.

With regards to what Birb Mob said, being on the devils lettuce around a parrot means I’m gonna stare at the parrot for at least two to three hours while trying to speak Birb.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

For the longest time, I had a melody stuck in my head, and I thought it was from a TV show. Wanting to refresh my memory, I find the clip of that show and am shocked that the melody is completely different. I spent half a year wondering where I picked up this melody. In an unrelated search, I was going through my youtube history, and of course see a bunch of bird videos. Lo and behold, one of them has my melody - "Bacon Pancakes", which I thought I picked up from "Adventure Time", but was instead from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-b5DtyXEs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

theHUNGERian posted:

For the longest time, I had a melody stuck in my head, and I thought it was from a TV show. Wanting to refresh my memory, I find the clip of that show and am shocked that the melody is completely different. I spent half a year wondering where I picked up this melody. In an unrelated search, I was going through my youtube history, and of course see a bunch of bird videos. Lo and behold, one of them has my melody - "Bacon Pancakes", which I thought I picked up from "Adventure Time", but was instead from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-b5DtyXEs.

Picturing you as a giant bird whistling a tune and getting annoyed about it and going to bird youtube to find out which horrible bird sang it first and got it in your little birdy brain

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

What's bird YouTube like?

"hey it's ya boi MilletSprayNPray here today we got a sunflower unboxing video OHMYGOOUWAD IT'S A SEED! AGAIN! THESE BLIND BOXES ARE TOO MUCH!"

"hey, welcome, today in the CuttleBon Appétit Test Kitchen we're gonna be making Water Poop Pellets."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rotten Cookies posted:

What's bird YouTube like?

"hey it's ya boi MilletSprayNPray here today we got a sunflower unboxing video OHMYGOOUWAD IT'S A SEED! AGAIN! THESE BLIND BOXES ARE TOO MUCH!"

"hey, welcome, today in the CuttleBon Appétit Test Kitchen we're gonna be making Water Poop Pellets."

More like

"HIIIIIII hiiiiiii gibberish in demonic voice I DON WANNA"

"Oi gently caress off ya bastards!"

"Cracker cracker! Cracker cracker cracker cracker cracker cracker cracker cracker."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I am an old man who detests The Youtuber Shtick, but I would give the cockatiel a chance.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, identifying the sound that my birds use to mean me, a personal flock call, my name in Cockatiel, has unlocked a few interesting things.

I've been reading this book. It's for school. I hate it. It's depressing and awful and nothing good happens to anyone in it and I couldn't read it for more than ten minutes. I finally finished it. I put it aside and flopped down on the bed. Sera flew over, climbed up my shoulder, and peered around at my face, and made that flock call in a small, questioning voice. Knowing that that's my name and not just a random sound turns that into a surprisingly intimate little moment.

He got a kiss.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Isn't it sensational that parrots come up with and use names?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzpKqW3uqP4

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Learning your name in Bird is pretty cool and I'm a dork who unironically still uses my bird name when jabbering at strange birds. This definitely makes me look insane, but I might as well be polite to the local corvids.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

Learning your name in Bird is pretty cool and I'm a dork who unironically still uses my bird name when jabbering at strange birds. This definitely makes me look insane, but I might as well be polite to the local corvids.

When in Rome ...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh God, Serra thinks my name is :SUPER HIGH PITCHED FLOCK CALL!!!:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mizuti posted:

Isn't it sensational that parrots come up with and use names?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzpKqW3uqP4

These sorts of videos always make me wonder what the tongue feels like, I keep imagining it's tough like leather even though that's utterly stupid since they use it to feel stuff like a baby does. :confused:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

there was a mental breakdown here, it's gone now, thank you chaosfeather for talking me through a real bad moment, I appreciate you so much.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Edit: Things are tense but fine. We are here for you, birdmod, if you ever need to talk or ask for help.

And of course your birds are there to demand attention at any time, free of charge.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 2, 2019

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hiii!

It's not an ideal solution but what I've ended up doing is loads of timer controlled lights and fully covering the windows in the room during day hours and using the timed cycle to get plenty of time with the birds while leaving them half covered for ritual/warm sake. They also get a cuddle hut and are in the same cage so I'm reasonably sure they're able to stay comfortable/

They seem... happy enough? I don't speak bird but they don't seem devastated if I'm working out out late.

If you need some weird stranger who shares a lot of those problems to talk to I'm around!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I think Tacos name for me was [INCOHERENT SCREAMING THAT CAN BE HEARD DOWN THE STREET]

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

there was a mental breakdown here, it's gone now, thank you chaosfeather for talking me through a real bad moment, I appreciate you so much.

Hang in there, Birb Mod Best Mod. :downs:

GoldStandardConure posted:

I think Tacos name for me was [INCOHERENT SCREAMING THAT CAN BE HEARD DOWN THE STREET]

:derptiel:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kitfox88 posted:

These sorts of videos always make me wonder what the tongue feels like, I keep imagining it's tough like leather even though that's utterly stupid since they use it to feel stuff like a baby does. :confused:

Going by Pookie's, it feels like a little fingertip in a soft leather glove - dry and firm and smooth, and a little bit soft.

(That sounds so weird but hey, birbs are peculiar)

edit: baby bird demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDDWGUTm04

Pookah fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 2, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Parrots definitely have weird tongues compared to other birds. Chickens have little pointy tongues as do most others. Chickens can even stick their tongues out if they want to, they just usually don't feel like it. A good way to get them to do it is to get bits of peanut butter or cream cheese or other sticky and RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS food on the outside of their beaks.

I second the opinion of a parrot tongue acting as and feeling like a single cushiony but firm finger. Dry vs moist varies from species to species but birds generally have very little saliva compared to mammals (lovebirds have a noticeable but highly inoffensive amount).

Lorikeets have scary brush tongues. They are very good at swabbing up nectar and fruit juices. When my parents were visiting the RSPCA to check out dogs there was a pair of lorikeets who delighted in wolf whistling and showing off their eldritch abomination tongues while making rude gestures.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Closer than I thought I was then, cool.

Also I just looked up lorikeet tongues and they remind me of chest bursters a little.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hang in there, LAB. I'm rooting for you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LAB if you need anything - anything! - from us just let us know. You're easily the kindest mod I've seen on these forums, and I want you and your birds to be happy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you, friends.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you, friends.

If... If it helps, Mayo finally learned how to sit next to the special "duck" ring in my bathroom. She kept getting jealous of Pesto whenever he sat there and would do everything in her power to figure out how he does it.

edit: proof:

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The love story of Mayo and Pesto never doesn't help.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
LAB...

If it helps, we are sending you happy thoughts :) Well, I am, anyway....

Trevor just thinks about Baby Shark 24-7, and Cricket is thinking about how she can get rid of Trevor lol

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gotta say, I'm disappointed in you all for not taking photos of your turkeys and chickens in the oven in preparation for thanksgiving :colbert:

I will still accept photos of Christmas gooses in the oven/frying pan/microwave though

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I hope everyone enjoys this bird wizard. Feel better, LAB. We always have your back here.
https://mymodernmet.com/peter-yan-travel-photography-china/

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

I hope everyone enjoys this bird wizard. Feel better, LAB. We always have your back here.
https://mymodernmet.com/peter-yan-travel-photography-china/

This man is definitely a wizard.

I put up my little Christmas tree, because it's winter and the sun sets at three, and man is Ozzy ever shook. He's standing guard and flock calling to the glittery fake birds on the tree.

He's seen it before, but I guess he's in a different phase of recovery than he was a year ago, and is feeling more confident. And he is very, very defensive about strange birds. Or videos of strange birds.

Sera is using this opportunity to eat all the millet himself.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Somehow this popped in my head

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Weighing in late on SCREM and name chat: Nicky absolutely has names for Mrs. Olds and I, both of which a very similar. Like, almost identical but with a slightly different initial inflection. She also knows exactly what earplugs are, and know it means we are ignoring her in a way that she cannot overcome, and actually gives up on the occasions I put them in. She also absolutely crushes 100 decibels in a full tantrum. We haven't gotten a full volume reading, but we know she breaks 100 pretty effortlessly.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Should say "DOOM" imo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

What am I missing here? I should get this, I think.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Captain Log posted:

What am I missing here? I should get this, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loom_(video_game)#Appearance_in_other_media

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

oh, i loved that game so much...I think I still have it somewhere too! The soundtrack was so lovely...I used to play it for HOURS back in the day lol I should see if I can find it now. Would love to lift the soundtracks off it :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This thread came in handy at work today! My boss was showing pictures of her parrot from Thanksgiving around the office, and she was very impressed that I recognized her parrot as a sun conure. :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted: