Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Rageaholic posted:

Welp, Whiterose knows

And Whiterose’s assistant knows what they should do next. But I guess that’ll be her (WR) undoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pfffffft, Angela ain't alive, c'mon

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, nice one Darlene :golfclap:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I missed those Fsociety videos. :allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Hahahaha, nice one Darlene :golfclap:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sooooo I guess the hack was successful?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fullroundaction posted:

Sooooo I guess the hack was successful?
Hellllllllllll yeah it was

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo is uh.. is this show over

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Inject Price gloating right into my veins.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

eke out posted:

holy poo poo is uh.. is this show over
Nah, there's still a few more episodes to go I think

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh drat, Whiterose is getting arrested. Nice :cool:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yes, arrested

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Wait do what now

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
* why was the f society video released early enough to possibly compromise the operation

* does the show actually expect us to think that emptying a single bank account would affect a member of the top 1% of the 1%

* WR had nothing better to do than just wait to get arrested by the American police

* next episode: DA still exists?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Music in this episode rules though. I’m sure all my questions have answers it was just rough watching on a crazy sound delay.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
The episode was cool, but how do they justify that transferring the funds ends everything? Can’t the banks just roll it all back?

Music gave me some Hotline Miami vibes

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

* does the show actually expect us to think that emptying a single bank account would affect a member of the top 1% of the 1%

Yea one bank account for each member getting wiped clean is like nothing for actual rich people. I'd expected them to say, "huh... that sucks. oh well I have 50 more"

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That was loving incredible. This show just finds new ways to one up itself.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Drunk Price is the best Price.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

cochise posted:

Yea one bank account for each member getting wiped clean is like nothing for actual rich people. I'd expected them to say, "huh... that sucks. oh well I have 50 more"

I guess they also set up that everyone was doxxed as being part of this secret organization, but as we’ve seen in real life over and over again that also has no effect on anything.

What’s the general public going to do with the information that Impossibly Rich CEO of a MegaCorp was also in a private group of similar people, all who fully own the government

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheOrange posted:

The episode was cool, but how do they justify that transferring the funds ends everything? Can’t the banks just roll it all back?

Music gave me some Hotline Miami vibes

there's a line about how all the money they got was immediately being transferred into a bitcoin account for those reasons

e: i looked at reddit and found this lol https://www.blockchain.com/en/btc/address/1MbwAEKJCtPYpLPxEkUmZxwjk63nQrpbXo

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't remember everything they said over the course of the show, but I could believe that the entire 5/9 hack, government endorsement of eCoin, global finance destabilization, etc. of the fictional world of Mr. Robot would lead to even more bank consolidation and it wouldn't be super hard to handwave this to make the hack in this episode more impactful.

To tie it into real world things, a bunch of incredibly rich people consolidated billions of dollars to be stewarded/invested by Jeffrey Epstein for ~reasons~, it's hard to imagine Whiterose having less leverage than Epstein to get folks to bank with her chosen institutions.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Stayed up to watch the replay since the USA app was having audio desynch issues again earlier, and it was drat worth it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It was a blink and you'll miss it moment, but apparently 45 rubs elbows with the Deus Group. When they first cut to inside the Cipriani, you could see his trademark hairdo on one of the nameless actors inside.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
”Fiendish Minister Zhang, you done hosed UP now!”

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think its more than their main accounts for doing illegal things is not only empty, but exposed. Dues Group members can be linked to all the shady stuff done with their Cyrus bank account, and at the same time it's now very difficult to pay the right people to make investigations go away since the account they would use to do so is now overdrawn. The F-Society dox video might have had some info on them, but mostly it was to lure them out for line of sight to all their cell phones, and also to get a distracting mob around the building.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres still four episode left. Jesus.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe it's just the computer geek in me, but I just couldn't believe she had a python script ready to go that could read phone numbers from a pcap that she could run on her phone.

But then again, it's a TV show, so who cares.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
So what are the biggest unanswered questions left on this show?

1. Whiterose's master plan
2. What happened to Wellick after getting shot in the woods?
3. Elliot's third personality

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Mustache Ride posted:

Maybe it's just the computer geek in me, but I just couldn't believe she had a python script ready to go that could read phone numbers from a pcap that she could run on her phone.

I’m kind of okay with it just because they put in the work to set it up ahead of time. What I don’t think I’m cool with is all of the last minute audibles / gambits that had to come together to make it work. This show is so methodical it seems weird that this hack was only successful by chance and that they weren’t prepared with any backup strats

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

fullroundaction posted:

* why was the f society video released early enough to possibly compromise the operation

* WR had nothing better to do than just wait to get arrested by the American police

* next episode: DA still exists?

Multiple accounts with huge amounts of money were emptied. Even if these people are rich, suddenly they are "cash poor" and caught flatfooted with all sorts of poo poo coming their way. It's not like it will land them in prison, but supposedly it hurys their ability to do their illuminati poo poo.

I dont understand how the police knew to go after whiterose. Only a handful of people were present during the shooting and its not like DA would rat out their boss.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

nickmeister posted:

I dont understand how the police knew to go after whiterose. Only a handful of people were present during the shooting and its not like DA would rat out their boss.

FBI knew about whiterose since the 5/9 hack, and I'm guessing the latest fsociety video doxxing the Deus Group included Minister Zhang's name.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Maybe Dom pointed them in her direction somehow. Especially since the cops are being called to an apartment with three dead Dark Army agents inside.

I buy the Doxxing working as the smokescreen they needed since it attacks one of the two things the Deus Group cares about, their secrecy, as a way to get at the second thing, their money. As the news report stated, it's all basically just hearsay but the whole point was to drum up some momentary panic from the elites while stirring up the locals who've already been primed for this stuff by the events of the previous year. It's not a stake to the heart, but I buy it as something that would rattle the members of the D.G., especially since fsociety has at this point proven that they have the ability to back-up their threats.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Mustache Ride posted:

it could also be a terminal on a box elsewhere, it's pretty quick to scp a packet capture file onto a remote box, but really, it's not tricky to install python on a phone - and they've run fileshares since the first season.

It doesn't really explain anything but this is still neat:

https://twitter.com/carlychaikin/status/1201353378879565825

e: this could also be a decent way to sidestep the whole dive into crazy science explanations - maybe whiterose's project would have worked, maybe it wouldn't; doesn't seem to matter much now.

e2: maybe the police knew where to go because whiterose's landlord got a quick eviction order in after her account was overdrawn. ALAB etc etc

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 2, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

cochise posted:

Yeah, the idea that one bank in Cyprus is somehow pivotal to uhhh, anything that actually loving matters at all is quite the stretch.

Cyprus is for Russian mobsters to launder money and that's about it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

whiterose also shot a guy to death in full view of a bunch of passers-by, so that might have also been a reason why the police were so quick to find her.

The trump thing wasn’t that surprising since I think in season 2 they had a scene where whiterose was claiming to have influenced the presidential election, with footage of trump on the TV in the background.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

IrvingWashington posted:

e: this could also be a decent way to sidestep the whole dive into crazy science explanations - maybe whiterose's project would have worked, maybe it wouldn't; doesn't seem to matter much now.

It's more likely the last bunch of episodes will be about Elliot's choice to destroy whatever it is or activate it

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

fullroundaction posted:

We're seeing WR as WR and not Minister Zhang, calmly applying lipstick, refusing to open the door for the feds, with gunfire in the background. WR ain't getting arrested, she's getting killed.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Looking back at it putting everyone's money in the Cyprus bank seems like a flaw in Whiterose's plan, but think about what it took to actually expose that flaw. Phillip Price and Tyrell Wellick both needed to not just be compromised but to defect, to an extent that ultimately cost them both their lives. Without them both it's probably impossible. They also needed to compromise the person managing the accounts in the US, and then they had to get the entire Deus Group in one place without tipping them off in a way that would ruin the plan. Frankly if Wellick was alive there was a chance the plan would go sour, because his absence threw Whiterose off balance.

Ontop of that, the hack itself required no doubt complicated scripting, physical proximity to the targets and meticulous timing. Anything could have wrecked it and in-fact almost did, given that both Darlene and Elliot were captured mere hours before.

Moreover, maybe Whiterose believed that consolidating the accounts would be safer because it left only a single point of access instead of dozens, any one of which could be compromised. This would probably have fed into the psychology of the Deus Group members themselves. None of them wanted to be the loser whose bank got broken into while the other guys were protected, it's better to make them all co-dependent on a single system that you can make tamper proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just a reminder that Cyprus is the same place that had a banking crisis leading to the shutdown of the second largest bank and the government imposing a bank-deposit levy on all deposits over 100,000 euros (because the EU told them to) to partially pay for the bailout back in the ancient times of 2013.

Putting presumably many billions (trillions?) of dollars required for your scheme of world domination or whatever into a Cypriot bank seems like a very, very poorly thought out plan.

If you want to sell me "evil bank for the 0,01% who is involved in very shady poo poo" you go with Goldman Sachs or Deutsche Bank.