Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

2003 did Triceratons and City at War too. :v:

Eastman's also done this odd thing since he's been consulting with Nick where the time-travel girl is supposedly the same character across all the shows and comics, but just visiting different timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This just makes me feel vaguely tired.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s adults-only but somehow extremely juvenile, like a teenager’s idea of what mature entertainment should be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah thats what i took away from it as well. aside from it being extremely hetero, the whole thing comes off as like a show a 13yo boy who just saw his first r rated movie and jotted down a story would write. it coasts on cartoon gore and saying the word gently caress in literally every sentence

site fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bad show is bad. I'm not surprised that some goon all stars are defending it though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ThermoPhysical posted:

This video is a spoiler if you've not seen the last few episodes of Season 2 of Marvel's Spider-Man. Luckily, the thumbnail isn't much of one but if anyone wants me to put it in a text link, I can. I just wanted to embed the video is all.

Disney and Marvel are not loving around with this trailer. Also I like the music which is "Uprise" by All Good Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfH6Pjui2O8

Though I'm really, really worried that they'll have Ock go evil again...especially after the clip they used in the trailer.

Huh, that episode was kinda interesting and not quite what I expected.
I really loved how Anna-Maria immediately shuts Ock down, when he started his little manic villain tirade.
The ending felt a bit silly, but I guess they didn't want to show a realistic depiction of fatal brain seizures. I can sort of understand and accept that. Would have ruined the tone too.

And in the final scene, Peter technically still hasn't revealed himself to Anya, Gwen and Max. And that's even though he ran around with half of his mask missing, Otto called him out by name and it's the only reason for him to be around there.
Max seems to have figured it out by now, but I would not be surprised if next season this shocking revelation will stun the girls. Or maybe they finally clear that up off camera. I dunno.

Either way, fun show, nice season finale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A cartoon about Harlie Quinn where people say the word "gently caress" isn't the worst idea, and god knows Titans turned out a lot better than that first "gently caress Batman" clip made it look, but yeah, probably a pass.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh, that episode was kinda interesting and not quite what I expected.
I really loved how Anna-Maria immediately shuts Ock down, when he started his little manic villain tirade.
The ending felt a bit silly, but I guess they didn't want to show a realistic depiction of fatal brain seizures. I can sort of understand and accept that. Would have ruined the tone too.

And in the final scene, Peter technically still hasn't revealed himself to Anya, Gwen and Max. And that's even though he ran around with half of his mask missing, Otto called him out by name and it's the only reason for him to be around there.
Max seems to have figured it out by now, but I would not be surprised if next season this shocking revelation will stun the girls. Or maybe they finally clear that up off camera. I dunno.

Either way, fun show, nice season finale.

That ending honestly brought me to tears.

I also loved the shutdown Anna Maria gave to Otto, it was played for laughs and worked really well.

This show, for me anyway, is like Spider-Man TAS in terms of story. It, definitely has some lows, but the highs are pretty fun and good. It's modern TAS to me and if and when it ever gets a full show home release like Spectacular did, I'll definitely pick it up.

Now on to season 3!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the magic brain particle destruction was pretty silly. But it leading to actual legit death that sticks was legit impressive. Really well done between Peter and Ock. gently caress Miles, tho.

More of a ramble:
Really wish Peter had told the girls what happened. You'd think with everything that happened and how they are feeling about Ock, he ought to share everything. Alas. Also bummed that he's back in Horizon. I guess Otto would've been the main reason to stick to Midtown, and with him gone Anna Maria has less of a reason to hang with Spidey. The fight with the robot was done pretty well; the escalation was very well paced, and the satellite laser put the perfect amount of pressure for Peter and Ock to be ready to sacrifice it all. Vulture also brings up a good point about how pretty much all of Spidey's villains have fallen by now; he doesn't have much else to fight, so the whole next season being big Venom stuff makes sense.

Nice season, I really like how this show has Peter forming extremely deep connections with some of his rogue's gallery as the way to keep Peter grounded as he goes through bigger plotlines and a setting of super science.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

A cartoon about Harlie Quinn where people say the word "gently caress" isn't the worst idea, and god knows Titans turned out a lot better than that first "gently caress Batman" clip made it look, but yeah, probably a pass.

saying the word at all isnt the issue, its the frequency of use. as in, its a lot. a lot

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why does DC animation love Harley so much? I am still trying to scrub the batmobile fart scene out of my mind :eyepoop:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why does DC animation love Harley so much? I am still trying to scrub the batmobile fart scene out of my mind :eyepoop:

Because suicide squad was the only DC movie which was sort of successful and that was mainly because that actress.

For what it's worth, I kinda enjoyed this first episode of this cartoon. I guess it will be alright. Unless they start to backpedal and make her reconsider her feelings for the Joker, in which case, gently caress this. I also agree, that it should be gayer. But there is one scene, where Ivy tells Harley that she likes her in some way she can't quite figure out, while looking away with some slight embarrassment. Also, that fight scene was actually kinda neat and had a clear flow and structure.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hiddenriverninja posted:

Because she's really popular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wasn't she created by Bruce Timm?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, the magic brain particle destruction was pretty silly. But it leading to actual legit death that sticks was legit impressive. Really well done between Peter and Ock. gently caress Miles, tho.

Yeah, Miles going on about how Otto was a terrible teacher and made his life hard was a super lovely thing to do. That's not "paying respects", that's just being an rear end in a top hat. Though, I guess I can chalk it up to the writers because he's been super whiny almost every time he's on screen. Definitely prefer the Miles of the Spiderverse movie and of Spider-Man PS4 than this one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't she created by Bruce Timm?

Yup. Who maintains a thirst most powerful for her even to this day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Yup. Who maintains a thirst most powerful for her even to this day.

Dude, he married Zatanna.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Rhyno posted:

Dude, he married Zatanna.

That was Dini, I thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

good day for a bris posted:

That was Dini, I thought.

Oh yeah, I got my BTAS guys confused.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dini also owns every piece of Harley Quinn memorabilia. When his family was at my shop a couple years ago, he bought a Harley figure for himself, while his wife asked. “Don’t they send you like three of everything?”

“...Not this one.”

Wonderful guy with a wonderful family. He can be horny for whatever character he wants.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

She's their Deadpool.

My one opinion about the Harley cartoon is that I was surprised to hear Diedrich Baker as Batman again.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vincent posted:

My one opinion about the Harley cartoon is that I was surprised to hear Diedrich Baker as Batman again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwsb6wBRqs

Still brings a tear to the eye.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I've hated just about everything I've seen that the comics have done with Harley. They just really had to squeeze as much grittiness and darkness into everything, with multiple levels of mental illness, neither of which correspond to any real psychology.

I guess they just really felt the need to overcompensate for using a character created for a children's cartoon, like what Marvel did with Firestar when they upgraded her from dealing with some mean girls at school to an elaborate program of gaslighting and abuse to craft her into an assassin. And they didn't even have the 90s as an excuse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I've hated just about everything I've seen that the comics have done with Harley. They just really had to squeeze as much grittiness and darkness into everything, with multiple levels of mental illness, neither of which correspond to any real psychology.

I guess they just really felt the need to overcompensate for using a character created for a children's cartoon, like what Marvel did with Firestar when they upgraded her from dealing with some mean girls at school to an elaborate program of gaslighting and abuse to craft her into an assassin. And they didn't even have the 90s as an excuse.

At least Harley's big storylines aren't getting cancer from her own powers or getting turned into a rotting shambling undead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Harley in part was created as an experiment to see how much the writers could get away with while still having a show aimed squarely at children. Harley saying gently caress and having HPV defeats that purpose

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Harley in part was created as an experiment to see how much the writers could get away with while still having a show aimed squarely at children. Harley saying gently caress and having HPV defeats that purpose

Eh, I think the core of the show is Harley getting out of an abusive relationship and trying to overcome that. I'm gonna see a few more eps. Is the HPV thing from the show or a weird dig at a female character?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vincent posted:

Eh, I think the core of the show is Harley getting out of an abusive relationship and trying to overcome that. I'm gonna see a few more eps. Is the HPV thing from the show or a weird dig at a female character?

Most sexually active adults do

(It’s from the show)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not technically animation but I started playing Lego DC Villains and there's so many DCAU voice actors popping up and it makes me so happy to hear Michael Ironside doing Darkseid again.

Also bonus Gina Torres as Superwoman!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

realistically speaking I think it's more to do with Harley being tied to the Joker than her being from BTAS. the Joker's been pushed in a pretty edgy direction, so she's followed.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't like Harley or Joker in this new cartoon series, but I kind of love the treatment of everyone else so far. Ivy's a little one note as "oh god everyone else is a moron" but it's a trope that's always sort of been there for her character.

I just imagine Harley to be one of those girls who had a teenage period of pretending to be Harley irl.

And I super dig the treatment of Bane.

Kill the talking plant.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Poison Ivy’s got a lot of bad adult cartoon snarky one liners but Lake Bell’s delivery works out pretty great. Pretty fun all and all. I’ll hold on to the DCU subscription for a while even despite it buffering eight times per episode for seemingly everything but the original programming and absolutely no smart tv support. What a lovely loving streaming service.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Poison Ivy’s got a lot of bad adult cartoon snarky one liners but Lake Bell’s delivery works out pretty great. Pretty fun all and all. I’ll hold on to the DCU subscription for a while even despite it buffering eight times per episode for seemingly everything but the original programming and absolutely no smart tv support. What a lovely loving streaming service.

If it's buffering sometimes and not other times that might be their servers fault or your ISP's fault, but it wouldn't be because you were trying to watch a linda hamilton Wonder Woman episode instead of Titans or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

If it's buffering sometimes and not other times that might be their servers fault or your ISP's fault, but it wouldn't be because you were trying to watch a linda hamilton Wonder Woman episode instead of Titans or whatever.

Linda Hamilton would make a great amazon aside from her being 5 feet tall.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Won’t all the DCU stuff be on HBO Max soon anyway?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1197933464143548416

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I thought she started out as just a one-off female henchman and then that all spiraled out of control for reasons.

That was a weird thing about B:TAS that you don't see as much these days, all the supervillains had like a posse conjured out of nowhere. I think the only other villain with female henchmen was Mr. Freeze for some reason.

How's the wife, Vic?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought she started out as just a one-off female henchman and then that all spiraled out of control for reasons.

That was a weird thing about B:TAS that you don't see as much these days, all the supervillains had like a posse conjured out of nowhere. I think the only other villain with female henchmen was Mr. Freeze for some reason.

How's the wife, Vic?

That's New Batman Adventures, not B:TAS. I don't remember him having The Ice Girls in B:TAS. I think that was only later after Timm/Dini realized they could go Maximum Horney.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the second ep of harley toned down the gore and yelling gently caress all the time, so that was an improvement, but it still wasnt like, good. and instead of even hinting at harley x ivy, it had ivy kind of falling for kite man so i think that might be it for me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

How's the wife, Vic?

If that's the episode I'm thinking of, she dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Were Riddler's two henchwomen comics original?