Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'm realizing now that one of TLJ's biggest failures is how relatively little space combat there is. Where's my X-wings :mad:

Also, why?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sandwich

Also the most comfortable chair ever designed is not canon anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

You're thinking of The Malevolence, which was destroyed in the first story arc of The Clone Wars tv show.

By making it jump to lightspeed into a moon, ironically enough - similar to the hyperspace ram, although they lacked the tech to properly show it at the time - all we saw was a bright white flash

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

codo27 posted:

Plagueis was a loving muun like that awful "the banking clan will sign your treaty" poo poo head? What a disappointment

Star wars fans would deffo be space racist

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Upon a cursory review of the entirety of the Star Wars filmography I am of the opinion that the best Star Wars film is a supercut of all the space battles. pew

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
All the best battles are never in space though. The Battle of Hoth is the best battle in the OT. The Pod Race is the best "battle" in the Prequels

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pollyanna posted:

Upon a cursory review of the entirety of the Star Wars filmography I am of the opinion that the best Star Wars film is a supercut of all the space battles. pew

This but for a supercut of every wipe transition.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 30, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

All the best battles are never in space though. The Battle of Hoth is the best battle in the OT. The Pod Race is the best "battle" in the Prequels

This is insane. As if it could begin to approach either death star battle is preposterous

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i don't know folk, my introduction to Star Wars was another kid yelling at me about lightsabers as he fastforwarded to the next duel on the VHS.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YaketySass posted:

This but for a supercut of every wipe transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3g_kaUnCA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlb0aUZKQpk

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

i don't know folk, my introduction to Star Wars was another kid yelling at me about lightsabers as he fastforwarded to the next duel on the VHS.

The rare 30 second cut of a new hope

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pollyanna posted:

The Last Jedi had some interesting ideas in "letting the past die" and in subverting how Star Wars has worked all this time, but completely beefed the execution. The screenwriting is total penis and the last 1/6~1/4 of the movie backpedals on what it set up in the rest of it. The movie is therefore nonsensical.

The movie is never about "letting the past die". The very guy who says that is obsessed with emulating his grandpa because of a terrible miscommunication he had with his uncle in the past.

quote:

For some reason TLJ just kinda...kept going, even though it reached the real climax with the lightspeed ramrod attack and the immediate fallout. It really should have ended there.

It has the same pacing issue that plagued The Dark Knight. There is a clearly climactic moment right around the time you expect it to end, and then there is another whole act that follows.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite shot in star wars is the opening zoom in from VIII because it's so nakedly lifted from Jodorowsky's Dune

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And yet the animatic remains much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQbsy72IgI

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It has the same pacing issue that plagued The Dark Knight. There is a clearly climactic moment right around the time you expect it to end, and then there is another whole act that follows.
Counterpoint: I love the lack restraint of both The Dark Knight and The Last Jedi. Both movies pretty much just present every single thought their respective creators have about their subjects at the time. And it's great.

The Dark Knight would have sucked if it ended with some lame stinger scene.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching The Clone Wars movie for the first time since it came out in theaters way back in 2007.

It's actually pretty good. The Skyguy/Snips nicknames suck, but they at least stop that in the main show. There's some really nice colorwork, and the textures have more detail/texture (for a lack of better words) than most other CGI TV shows these days.

Edit: Clone Wars certainly looks better than Rebels and Resistance.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 1, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The premise of baby Jabba is pretty hilarious in today's post-Baby Yoda world.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope baby Yoda gets named in the next episode so we can stop calling him baby Yoda.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like saying "Yoda Monster"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Spacebump posted:

I hope baby Yoda gets named in the next episode so we can stop calling him baby Yoda.

I'm never going to stop calling him Baby Yoda.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching The Clone Wars movie for the first time since it came out in theaters way back in 2007.

It's actually pretty good. The Skyguy/Snips nicknames suck, but they at least stop that in the main show. There's some really nice colorwork, and the textures have more detail/texture (for a lack of better words) than most other CGI TV shows these days.

Edit: Clone Wars certainly looks better than Rebels and Resistance.

I found it hard to go back to the movie after watching the later seasons of TCW - some scenes on the opening planet look barely removed from a Story Reel

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

They still haven't named the main character other than Mando so far.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is mando a slur

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Big Word posted:

Is mando a slur

it's the star wars equivalent of Paki

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-_PX5WFBc

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PeterWeller posted:

The movie is never about "letting the past die". The very guy who says that is obsessed with emulating his grandpa because of a terrible miscommunication he had with his uncle in the past.

I think the people who believe that's what the movie is about are just congenitally incapable of engaging with any of the scenes that feature the characters who are not little nazi boys

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
maybe don't write a movie where the only person with a coherent motivation is a little nazi boy, i dunno

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OhYeah37577692/status/1201013287011287046?s=19

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bleck posted:

I think the people who believe that's what the movie is about are just congenitally incapable of engaging with any of the scenes that feature the characters who are not little nazi boys

Well, no. When TLJ came out, literally everyone with a positive take was saying that line was the whole point of the film. Hence the depiction of Luke and so on and so on.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Horizon Burning posted:

Well, no. When TLJ came out, literally everyone with a positive take was saying that line was the whole point of the film. Hence the depiction of Luke and so on and so on.

I mean, I wasn't

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

ungulateman posted:

maybe don't write a movie where the only person with a coherent motivation is a little nazi boy, i dunno

Wait what's this about Nazi boys? Did I miss something somewhere? Did the first order suddenly show their motives or some poo poo?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They're talking about either Hux or Kylo Ren. And the First Order is pretty fascist.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The first order is no girls allowed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JBP posted:

The first order is no girls allowed

Girls allowed but she gotta wear a full face covering helmet, and her armor has to be reflective so when you look at her you see a reflection of yourself, a boy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I watched TFA this weekend, it's a bit anemic but still hits when it needs. There was what looked like Xena warrior princess on the New Order ship though - I remember that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counterpoint: I love the lack restraint of both The Dark Knight and The Last Jedi. Both movies pretty much just present every single thought their respective creators have about their subjects at the time. And it's great.

The Dark Knight would have sucked if it ended with some lame stinger scene.

Oh I love both movies as well and don't personally have a problem with their expansiveness in that regard. But they both have a strange pacing that arises from having false climaxes before fourth acts.

Horizon Burning posted:

Well that's simply untrue. But there are many people on both sides of the TLJ fence who incorrectly take that as the film's thesis.

Siegkrow posted:

Wait what's this about Nazi boys? Did I miss something somewhere? Did the first order suddenly show their motives or some poo poo?

I mean, there's a whole speech about bringing ORDER to the GALAXY and all that. And they're visually coded as space Nazi successors to the previous space Nazis. It's kind of silly to be obtuse about this.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Girls allowed but she gotta wear a full face covering helmet, and her armor has to be reflective so when you look at her you see a reflection of yourself, a boy

There are women in just about every bridge scene.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Clipperton posted:

Absolutely calling bullshit on the idea that anyone likes C3PO

Late but Threepio is my favorite dude in the series and I won't be satisfied until he gets his shining moment where he gives statistics about a situation and it actually helps them avoid a statistically certain fate. :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PeterWeller posted:

I mean, there's a whole speech about bringing ORDER to the GALAXY and all that. And they're visually coded as space Nazi successors to the previous space Nazis. It's kind of silly to be obtuse about this.

That's just fascists, not Nazis. Also, none of the Fascists have any clear motivation, was the point.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

That's just fascists, not Nazis. Also, none of the Fascists have any clear motivation, was the point.

Totally important distinction to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

Totally important distinction to make.

it is actually