Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bone broth is apparently high in protein and essential amino acids, among other health benefits.

Mandadlorian is trying to make his son grow up big and strong.

Well, strong. He is of Yoda's species after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Bone broth is apparently high in protein and essential amino acids, among other health benefits.

No there’s gonna be a 7 foot tall absolutely yoked baby Yoda

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

evilmiera posted:

I truly,truly want to see a Mandalorian/Bounty Hunter yoda.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

finally this ancient meme will become reality

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Open Marriage Night posted:

The concept art showed baby Yoda pacifying the space cat, but it’s not shown in the actual show.

Gave me a reason to watch the episode again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I felt a tonal shift. This episode felt like a family friendly fun fest. I liked the grittiness of eps 1-3. They felt like Star Wars to me. This felt like the Ewok Adventure. Let's hope it returns to form next week. The concept art looked great. I would have liked to see the village look a little more like that and maybe a whole lot less bad acting from Gina, villagers, and bartender.

Yoda baby, still confirmed cute.

I'm afraid I agree and don't want another episode directed by Howard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Not gonna lie, I'm stupid excited for the next episode since it's a full on Filoni joint.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The only real problem I had with the episode was the fight between Mando and Cara was really awkward. Not upset that she whupped him, it was just not very well filmed.

Liked Satanic AT-ST.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Gonna have an episode down the line in which he joins a gym gang with these fucks walking around

Also this just felt like the first "episodic" episode, in which they just hit up a planet, solve their weekly problem, then just reset back to space going "Well, I guess we need to find somewhere else". I'm expecting this to be the status quo for the show.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cross-Section posted:

finally this ancient meme will become reality

A yoda that is too jakked to wipe their own rear end, instead only force wiping

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Bigger Yoda

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Laterite posted:

Bigger Yoda

Yooda

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there something that attracts antifeminists and misogynists to Star Wars the same way Star Trek attracts pedophiles? Like in that case, it's not that every Star Trek fan is a pedophile. It's that a sizable plurality of pedophiles love Star Trek. And that question has some answers.

Does Star Wars have that?

I really liked the RedLetterMedia prequel videos, and I thought everybody was in on the joke that the only kind of person who'd put this much thought into a 90 minute Star Wars review would be a hundred-and-four-year-old serial killer, but it's turning out that that wasn't a joke. RLM are coming out, very slowly, as people who hate feminists openly, and women somewhat covertly, and is that where this came from? Or has this been a thing the whole time?

I'm so absurdly comforted that I can say in this thread that men who hate women are hating on Star Wars for including women both in the fiction and in the production and not be completely on my own, but there's still a contingent that gets all mad that I'd imply that could ever happen like how people get all "if you say racism is happening, you're the real racist."

Star Trek also had this problem back in 1995 when Janeway became a thing, and in this woman's opinion, voyager sucked, but people blame the captain for that, like that has anything to do with it. Same with having a black captain with Deep Space Nine.

It super confuses me because Princess Leia subverted the trope so hard. She made Luke and Han look like dipshits in New Hope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Is there something that attracts antifeminists and misogynists to Star Wars

It's been a huge problem across the entire scifi genre for decades and decades, as well as comics and gaming and RPGs etc etc etc..

There's been big improvements in terms of representation and stuff but the diehard anti-SJW crowd have also been digging in even harder and even starting to organise counter-movements, such as when they tried to hijack the Hugo Awards.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Is there something that attracts antifeminists and misogynists to Star Wars the same way Star Trek attracts pedophiles? Like in that case, it's not that every Star Trek fan is a pedophile. It's that a sizable plurality of pedophiles love Star Trek. And that question has some answers.

Does Star Wars have that?

I really liked the RedLetterMedia prequel videos, and I thought everybody was in on the joke that the only kind of person who'd put this much thought into a 90 minute Star Wars review would be a hundred-and-four-year-old serial killer, but it's turning out that that wasn't a joke. RLM are coming out, very slowly, as people who hate feminists openly, and women somewhat covertly, and is that where this came from? Or has this been a thing the whole time?

I feel like any property that is considered the domain of nerds fills with this sort of anti-feminist sentiment. Not particularly unique to Star Wars.

Regarding RLM I always kind of had a feeling they were at least chud-adjacent but I could never really put my finger on it. I don’t really keep up with their stuff but I’m not at all surprised to hear what you’re saying.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just don't get it. We were supposed to be the big tent. We were supposed to take in all the people society was rejecting.

I started watching football and going to games, and it turned out to be the least toxic fandom to which I belonged.

Jocks were supposed to be the assholes. Nerds were supposed to be the nice people. But once our hobbies gained mainstream acceptance, we collectively shat our pants and freaked out and decided we didn't want to be liked or accepted.

What the gently caress?!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I just don't get it. We were supposed to be the big tent. We were supposed to take in all the people society was rejecting.

I started watching football and going to games, and it turned out to be the least toxic fandom to which I belonged.

Jocks were supposed to be the assholes. Nerds were supposed to be the nice people. But once our hobbies gained mainstream acceptance, we collectively shat our pants and freaked out and decided we didn't want to be liked or accepted.

What the gently caress?!

Nerds pulled the ladder up behind them and always hosted terrible opinions. Imagine being a female nerd in 1980 that would have been inviting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The second I heard "oh yea it's told by a serial killer who has women tied up" I got on a gently caress RLM. Only some real shitfucker Edgelord could find that poo poo funny. Lol he kills women, that's hilarious.

I think its more of a thing that a lot of young white men have nothing going on their lives. Their job prospects suck, there was no romantic prospects and they live in communities that are wastelands of anything but Religion or Sports, and so they retreat into media like video games, sci-fi, fantasy, comics and anime. Because things were so male dominated, they were able to see themselves in it, that they, in another world, could be the heroes, save the galaxy and gently caress the ladies. Their entire lives were the media they consume. It's not like there was suddenly more stuff featuring women or PoC or LGQBT people or any of that, it's that the regular rear end shitheads that gently caress up the world realzied that there were a ton of young white men that could be easily manipulated by simple saying "hey they want to take everything you love away!!!". Gamergate was the first major outgoing of this, and it turning into the alt right and everything terrible since it then. I'm not saying that there have always been lovely people into nerd stuff, but the recent upsurge in lovely people is a result of a lot of cultural factors.

Also weird the pedos into Star Trek because they think the tolerance of Star Trek would extend to child loving.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Nerds pulled the ladder up behind them and always hosted terrible opinions.
Somebody recently posted some transcripts of BBSes from the 80s and 90s.

Yeah. Nerds were never the big tent. That makes me profoundly sad and makes me not want to like any of the things I used to like.

The end of Revenge of the Nerds sees the leader of the nerds rape a woman and we're supposed to root for him.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I think there has been a lot of market movement towards trying to be inclusive towards women, poc, non-cishet, and other marginalized groups that have generally been ignored because companies see value in having more customers. To people that don't have much going on in their lives other than Star Wars or other similar brands, they see this as some crazy culture war and the "barbarians" are at the gates. Which honestly, is really loving sad. It has never been more acceptable to be a "nerd" these days with comic book movies topping box office charts consistently, star wars being front and center, and video games just constantly becoming more and more mainstream. Hell, this is the best chance they got to actually like, connect with other people regardless of their ethnicity, gender, whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Yeah. Nerds were never the big tent. That makes me profoundly sad and makes me not want to like any of the things I used to like.

The end of Revenge of the Nerds sees the leader of the nerds rape a woman and we're supposed to root for him.

Wearing a Darth Vader costume at that!

I think that was also just the grossness of the past. I'm an old nerd and I never heard anyone complain that there were women in this, women in that, there was a black guy here. Not that things where chill, but there wasn't an instant kneejerk reaction to women being in ANYTHING like there is now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Frankenstyle posted:

The whole "Why wear a helmet if punches still work/Why punch someone with a helmet" thing is goofy at the source. A helmet doesn't keep your neck from rocking back or twisting which affects blood flow to the brain and is why boxers knock each other unconscious. I were a motorcycle helmet when I ride to limit damage / make my corpse easier to identify, but it doesn't make you invulnerable or mean someone punching you in the head isn't gonna ring your bell.

One of the points about football and CTE is that football helmets don't stop your brain from bouncing around inside your skull.

And punching people in the head with your bare fists is more likely to give you broken fingers than them a concussion even if they aren't wearing helmets.

That said, I'm willing to give Cara Dune a pass because she's just that loving tough Cara Dune is so mean, she once killed a stormtrooper just to watch him die... by punching the front of his helmet out the back of his helmet.

Seriously, though. I thought Gina Carano did a good job with the character. She was kind of artless in the role, but figure someone like Cara Dune would be kind of artless, since as a rebel shocktrooper, eloquent verbal expression likely wasn't high on her priorities list.

Besides, there was worse things to put in Star Wars than Gina Carano.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

evilmiera posted:

https://i.imgur.com/MKvyu3K.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The things you like are moving to be more inclusive by and large (even 40k is trying lol) so just enjoy what you like and ignore the dickheads. It's the key to living a great life.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think there's kind of a two prong thing going on

one is just reaction to media and other parts of life slow plodding march towards more inclusiveness and more representation. even for properties that don't really have a conservative bent (like star wars about shooting up space nazis or star treks full communism) with a wide enough fan base you're definitely going to have at least some fans totally missing the point

the other part is just how pervasive social media / YouTube is now. Back in say the 90s or before you may have had some editorializing from the local paper on some franchise, or a piece in a magazine, and you'd have to go to a fan forum or BBS or convention to be exposed to someone griping about something something liberals killing the fandom. That's a lot less wide exposure than now YouTube aggressively suggesting any star wars fan to watch STAR WARS: RUINED BY FEMINISM?? and there's a lot of grifters feeding that because there is (some) money to be made mining that reactionism

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JBP posted:

The things you like are moving to be more inclusive by and large (even 40k is trying lol) so just enjoy what you like and ignore the dickheads. It's the key to living a great life.

This is true. Though its good to hide poo poo sometimes. Like I'm literally never going to say I like Rick and Morty among anyone who I have no vetted. Or Doctor Who.

Also Sisters of Battle have existed since 40k first came out, though this edition is showing PoC among them, which is nice.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Wasn't there already a Seven Samurai episode in Clone Wars? I kinda agree that this episode was pretty weak overall. Seven Samurai comes up a LOT in sci-fi/fantasy, and this one felt like a really rote, cut-down retelling. The raiders were especially bland, just a generic horde of identical space-orcs with no personality. Go watch Samurai Jack instead.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if you think leaning heavy into Kurosawa references is bad, the show vibing hard on spaghetti westerns is probably not going to be for you

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Wheezle posted:

I feel like any property that is considered the domain of nerds fills with this sort of anti-feminist sentiment. Not particularly unique to Star Wars.

Regarding RLM I always kind of had a feeling they were at least chud-adjacent but I could never really put my finger on it. I don’t really keep up with their stuff but I’m not at all surprised to hear what you’re saying.

Jack Packard seems to be the only one leaning in to the left and being more of a feminist BUT he isnt that open about it, so i dunno what really. Even the canadian guys give me chud vibes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JBP posted:

I'm a trans woman. I don't get to ignore dickheads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Squinty posted:

Wasn't there already a Seven Samurai episode in Clone Wars? I kinda agree that this episode was pretty weak overall. Seven Samurai comes up a LOT in sci-fi/fantasy, and this one felt like a really rote, cut-down retelling. The raiders were especially bland, just a generic horde of identical space-orcs with no personality. Go watch Samurai Jack instead.

Yeah, squashing the entire plot into just one 40 minute episode really took a lot out of it. :( At least they put some effort into making the sleepy backwater farming village look a little better than the sleepy backwater farming villages we get in TV shows like Xena or Stargate or even Star Trek.

(The plot also comes up in a lot of other genres as well: Three Amigos, A Bug's Life, Seven Magnificent Gladiators, etc etc etc.)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The second uruk hai came outta the woods I thought "ah a filler episode"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i for one hope the season finale is them riffing on Kurosawa's High and Low, where Mando has retired to be a CEO of a 1960s Tokyo shoe company making beskar toed boots, only one day getting a disturbing phone call: baby yoda has been kidnapped and a ransom demanded

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Echoing some of the views itt that this was the weakest episode so far. It's sadly getting away from the more gritty tone that the show started with and its really creeping towards feeling like a cartoon such as Rebels adapted into a live action show. Which hey if you like that or were expecting that from this show that's great but i came into it with different hopes for the series. There's still a lot of good things there so I'll stick with it and hope it adjusts course more towards the feel of the first episode.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like people who thought this episode sucked want this show, and maybe Star Wars in general to be something it's not.

I'm on the other side, I've been enjoying everything this show is throwing at me exactly because it doesn't feel like Star Wars, at least "modern" Star Wars.

Just Chamber posted:

Echoing some of the views itt that this was the weakest episode so far. It's sadly getting away from the more gritty tone that the show started with and its really creeping towards feeling like a cartoon such as Rebels adapted into a live action show.

Yeah it was like I said, this show is very remnant of the cartoon shows (and I was called out for making that comparison in the first episodes). It was just more violent early on. With that said...

Desperado Bones posted:

Didn't even RLM said the original Star Wars was more intended for a younger audience /family friendly or something? At no moment they were too graphically violent like the prequels and the new ones. It was just this big space adventure. But then again my parents allowed me to watch Cronenberg movies when I was a child so I never found Star Wars too scary/violent :v:

This is also a statement that even if true, needs a lot context: Our generation of adults is, somehow, even after growing with Mortal Kombat, more annoying with what is friendly to a younger audience, and the distinction between "for kids" and "for families" is sort of lost. The 70's and 80's were very different, and it wasn't considered troublesome to have body horror elements in horror movies (like Cronenberg) and horror movies being a genre that younger folks also enjoyed. Compare body horror in the 70's and the 80's and stuff that was present in movies treading on the edge of these genres (Alien, the acid guy in Robocop, Murphy in Robocop, the failed Robocops in Robocop 2, gently caress, Robocop I guess) to how horror movies have been in the past 15 years. There's the occasional shocking body horror movie but the amount of movies based on cheap jumpscares makes the landscape very different from Cronenbergian movies. Even if Saw or Final Destination live on the other side of the spectrum they're still an evolution of a different genre.

At which point the whole censorship thing becomes kinda blurry because standards kept changing over the years. Do you consider EP 4 more or less violent than The Mandalorian? Ep 1 through 3 don't have vivid spilled blood in the same amount and with a camera zoom like the mutilation scene in Ep 4, yet I'd say (on a personal level) that Anakin burning was a fairly grotesque scene. So with each SW movie in the OT becoming more kid-friendly and each SW movie in the PT becoming more adult over the trilogy, it's almost like they're reactionary to their respective criticisms. Does the scene in Ep 4 make it more or less violent than the first two episodes of The Mandalorian (or even the very first scene where someone is split in half, like you're watching Cube or something)?

I don't have an answer: I think these things are all over the place. This episode has a few moments where it subverts expectations: The aforementioned "here's something that will make refresh your memory teeheh heh heh" scene. Gina here plays a character that could be in Xena, and her role is essentially the same as Conan's Valeria: And while she's not the romantic interest of Mando (also not at the cost of making the entire thing sexless, as she instead talks about his romantic interests), I feel like she ultimately would still merit the complaints of the stereotype of the "good amazon". With that said, it feels like the choice of a former martial artist for the role is very deliberate, because really, when was the last time you saw a woman being punched in the face in Star Wars, followed by a hook? Or in any Disney media, for that matter. In watching that scene I was like "oh, wow. Is this a response to Jaslynn Gallegos and all the woman wrestlers who were denied fights and had to win by default?".

But yeah in general things are all over the place. I liked the episode, but I was also distracted by the red lights AT-ST or how ineffective it was. It's easy to justify how those things might make sense (if the raiders kill everyone in the village then that's no longer a source for raiding, the red deco is not something that unrealistically people would do to intimidate the locals, even if silly, the pilot was probably not expecting in a million years to get shot in the window, and so on) but they still felt like the weaker part of the episode for me.

Still, I find that the key moments of this episode are very instant-classic. The "barista immediately quits her job" joke came to mind. The brawl between Gina and Pascal remind me, again, of John Wick fights, minus the blood. The "We have bad news you ignorant townsfolk, you're hosed" scene is very reminiscent of spaghettis and I loved it. And as much as I think the execution left much to be desired, the idea of the AT-ST piloted by the world's slowest Uruk-hai being a threat was an interesting concept at least.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 2, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elentor posted:

I'm on the other side, I've been enjoying everything this show is throwing at me exactly because it doesn't feel like Star Wars, at least "modern" Star Wars.

Yeah it was like I said, this show is very remnant of the cartoon shows (and I was called out for making that comparison in the first episodes). It was just more violent early on. With that said...

This is also a statement that even if true, needs a lot context: Our generation of adults is, somehow, even after growing with Mortal Kombat, more annoying with what is friendly to a younger audience, and the distinction between "for kids" and "for families" is sort of lost. The 70's and 80's were very different, and it wasn't considered troublesome to have body horror elements in horror movies (like Cronenberg) and horror movies being a genre that younger folks also enjoyed. Compare body horror in the 70's and the 80's and stuff that was present in movies treading on the edge of these genres (Alien, the acid guy in Robocop, Murphy in Robocop, the failed Robocops in Robocop 2, gently caress, Robocop I guess) to how horror movies have been in the past 15 years. There's the occasional shocking body horror movie but the amount of movies based on cheap jumpscares makes the landscape very different from Cronenbergian movies. Even if Saw or Final Destination live on the other side of the spectrum they're still an evolution of a different genre.

At which point the whole censorship thing becomes kinda blurry because standards kept changing over the years. Do you consider EP 4 more or less violent than The Mandalorian? Ep 1 through 3 don't have vivid spilled blood in the same amount and with a camera zoom like the mutilation scene in Ep 4, yet I'd say (on a personal level) that Anakin burning was a fairly grotesque scene. So with each SW movie in the OT becoming more kid-friendly and each SW movie in the PT becoming more adult over the trilogy, it's almost like they're reactionary to their respective criticisms. Does the scene in Ep 4 make it more or less violent than the first two episodes of The Mandalorian (or even the very first scene where someone is split in half, like you're watching Cube or something)?

I don't have an answer: I think these things are all over the place. This episode has a few moments where it subverts expectations: The aforementioned "here's something that will make refresh your memory teeheh heh heh" scene. Gina here plays a character that could be in Xena, and her role is essentially the same as Conan's Valeria: And while she's not the romantic interest of Mando (also not at the cost of making the entire thing sexless, as she instead talks about his romantic interests), I feel like she ultimately would still merit the complaints of the stereotype of the "good amazon". With that said, it feels like the choice of a former martial artist for the role is very deliberate, because really, when was the last time you saw a woman being punched in the face in Star Wars, followed by a hook? Or in any Disney media, for that matter. In watching that scene I was like "oh, wow. Is this a response to Jaslynn Gallegos and all the woman wrestlers who were denied fights and had to win by default?".

But yeah in general things are all over the place. I liked the episode, but I was also distracted by the red lights AT-ST or how ineffective it was. It's easy to justify how those things might make sense (if the raiders kill everyone in the village then that's no longer a source for raiding, the red deco is not something that unrealistically people would do to intimidate the locals, even if silly, the pilot was probably not expecting in a million years to get shot in the window, and so on) but they still felt like the weaker part of the episode for me.

Still, I find that the key moments of this episode are very instant-classic. The "barista immediately quits her job" joke came to mind. The brawl between Gina and Pascal remind me, again, of John Wick fights, minus the blood. The "We have bad news you ignorant townsfolk, you're hosed" scene is very reminiscent of spaghettis and I loved it. And as much as I think the execution left much to be desired, the idea of the AT-ST piloted by the world's slowest Uruk-hai being a threat was an interesting concept at least.

The red light light thing goes back as far as WW2, it's preserves night vision. The military still uses it today

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice to know. Learn something new every day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm a trans woman. I don't get to ignore dickheads.

I would still encourage you to like what you want to like. I was addressing someone who was thinking of abandoning their personal escape due to online idiots and I don't think they should ruin any of our enjoyment of media. I understand it's very different being the target of vitriol and I'm sorry.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

if you think leaning heavy into Kurosawa references is bad, the show vibing hard on spaghetti westerns is probably not going to be for you

It seems like his/her complaint was that it was a weak retelling of it. Someone said something similar to me when I said this felt like a bad Star Trek Voyager episode.

Spaghetti Western Kurosawa = good
Kurosawa tropes with no characterization = bad

Bare with me, I'm a freelance animator and writer; so I probably look at this deeper than the average viewer because it's my everyday.

It seems like the main complaints for the episode are flat directing, bad acting, and weak characters (bad writing). For example, having the village widow being the only one that can shoot is a great old trope. Usually there's a reason though right? Like maybe the widow had refused to move her family closer to town and had to take up the rifle to defend herself and family from coyotes and raiders. We, the audience generally get an inkling to the character's motivations.

Unless, I missed something (and I very well could have), they skipped that part and the widow in Mando was a good shooter because...? That's a trope without motivation. It's there to take a short cut assuming you are familiar with the genre. To me and some others, that's bad writing. It could have been fixed during the first raider sequence. Maybe have her separated from her daughter when the raid starts so she can only see her at a distance. Her kid does the underwater thing while mom has to watch from afar raising the tension. As they leave one raider lags behind and goes to inspect the basket in the water. Right when he touches it, we hear a shot, he falls over dead, and we reveal the mom with a space rifle. The raid is over, her daughter is saved, and we the audience now knows that she has skills to protect her family from orc raiders. The old western trope is now explained in new space setting without changing too much of their blocking on set.

Now generally that opening moment will lead to a payoff. I get that she taught the others how to shoot but that could have been done by Mando or Cara. It would have been nice to have one of the dual protagonists get in a pickle only to be saved by the widow. At that point we would have a set up (shooting the opening raider), the practical use (teaching others), and the pay off (saving Mando).

Instead we just skipped all of that and to some of us familiar with the genres, it feels cheap.

As far as people picking apart the plotting like, "why didn't Mando do more damage at night..." Who cares, it's a space show with a baby Yoda thing! Just don't ask me to fill in the blanks on characterization please.

And I've written too much about Star Wars. Did I just join some bad club or something? When do I get my patch and pin?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

The red light light thing goes back as far as WW2, it's preserves night vision. The military still uses it today

They're switching to a bluish light now. Turns out that red works OK, but it wrecks your ability to tell what color you're looking at on a display.