Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like my heart is going to explode and then I'll die, thank you Thrill of the Fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

I feel like my heart is going to explode and then I'll die, thank you Thrill of the Flight of Stairs
:goonsay:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lemming posted:

I feel like my heart is going to explode and then I'll die, thank you Thrill of the Fight

:yeshaha:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I want something more funky, but with similar motions to TotF, I guess Box VR will do?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I want something more funky, but with similar motions to TotF, I guess Box VR will do?

Eh.

BoxVR is like, a music game, thats kinda a workout game, and you just hit notes. Its slow enough even on the hardest difficulty, that weights are trivial (Yes weights, No we're not gonna argue, Talk to your DR, Don't be an asshat, No Beat Saber isnt ok with weights.) Theres basically zero reflex swings unless you're just not paying any attention.

With that said. Games fun. Its a great workout.

If you want a more silly boxing game knockout league or something is fun.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was also considering BoxVR because it's 50% off right now on Steam, but the reviews are pretty mixed. It seems like the game is half-broken and the dev has no interest in fixing it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

I was also considering BoxVR because it's 50% off right now on Steam, but the reviews are pretty mixed. It seems like the game is half-broken and the dev has no interest in fixing it.

Broken is the wrong word.

Peoples expectations of what it is, is probably too high tbh.

Auto mapping is decent, Its "better" than most games. But if you go into it thinking 'music game' and not 'workout application'. You might have a bad time.

BoxVR used to be my main stream game actually. Its REALLY decent you just are not going to be playing hard stuff regardless of what songs you shove into the thing.

With the refund policy, Id say nab it and try it. Just make sure you have some local music.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

They released an update that broke custom tracks and playlists for a lot of people, including my wife. The dev response was to let people use the previous version under the Steam beta selection. I would be surprised if they ever properly fix it.

BVR is fine if you want something that emulates a cardio boxing class at your local 24 Hour Fitness. If you want a competitive boxing game that isn't as realism-focused as Thrill of the Fight, then consider Creed (which I've not played, but it looks much more arcadey than TotF).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shine posted:

BVR is fine if you want something that emulates a cardio boxing class at your local 24 Hour Fitness. If you want a competitive boxing game that isn't as realism-focused as Thrill of the Fight, then consider Creed (which I've not played, but it looks much more arcadey than TotF).

I've only found time to play two fights in Creed, but they felt good; arcadey, but it still felt like I was boxing - unlike Knockout League, which looks great but feels like a string of gesture-based quick time events.

edit: Played another couple of Creed fights. I'm still not sure how mechanically deep it is, but it's certainly fun.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 2, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

I've only found time to play two fights in Creed, but they felt good; arcadey, but it still felt like I was boxing - unlike Knockout League, which looks great but feels like a string of gesture-based quick time events.

edit: Played another couple of Creed fights. I'm still not sure how mechanically deep it is, but it's certainly fun.

Creed can be cheesed hard, its arcade as hell. Ask saq about being undefeated online using gunstocks and controllers on the end of them. XD

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What are some good controller based VR games? I hear a lot about full on hand-tracking VR games but not much about the Sit Down With A Xbox Controller ones. House of the Dying Sun is rad, Truck Sim too, any other examples?

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are some good controller based VR games? I hear a lot about full on hand-tracking VR games but not much about the Sit Down With A Xbox Controller ones. House of the Dying Sun is rad, Truck Sim too, any other examples?

Distance is quite good, if we're going to count VR updates / VR ports. A tiny bit of a stretch would also be DiRT Rally (or its sequel, 2.0). They're best with a wheel of course, but also work with regular controllers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Elite Dangerous works really well with a controller, you don't need a stick or anything. I prefer the hand controls for Rez but its just as good with a controller. Polybius, Tetris Effect, Sublevel Zero, Superhypercube, Hellblade. The VR version of Sayonara Umihara Kawase is surprisingly good, also.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Honestly hand-tracking is a bigger deal in VR than stereo 3D or head tracking IMO, so the most compelling VR games are ALL games that utilize hand-tracking. If you don't; it inherently isn't a full VR game.

"Controller" is ambiguous though; some of the best early VR and to this day best VR experiences you can have are racing and flight sims, like iRacing and Project Cars and Dirt Rally, or War Thunder and Elite Dangerous. Those are all best played with a feedback wheel or HOTAS joystick.

But if we're talking proper controller controller or even keyboard, and non sim games, then its harder. Subnautica is a cool game but the VR support is so/so. And I think that's generally the case, controller VR games are going to be mostly flatscreen games retrofit for VR and as such not super great.

Resident Evil in VR is fantastic, and uses a controller. But its PSVR exclusive for now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Chronos is great and the setting of the intro area is still one of my favorites in all of VR, period. If you happened to like Remnant, it's a direct sequel to Chronos as an added bonus.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Distance is quite good, if we're going to count VR updates / VR ports. A tiny bit of a stretch would also be DiRT Rally (or its sequel, 2.0). They're best with a wheel of course, but also work with regular controllers.

Distance is right up my alley, hell yeah. Are there any other arcade racers with good VR support? Something like Forza would be dope.

homeless snail posted:

Elite Dangerous works really well with a controller, you don't need a stick or anything. I prefer the hand controls for Rez but its just as good with a controller. Polybius, Tetris Effect, Sublevel Zero, Superhypercube, Hellblade. The VR version of Sayonara Umihara Kawase is surprisingly good, also.

I bought a HOTAS just for Elite years ago and then got more use out of it on other games so I def. wanna try this out sometime. I didn't know there was a VR Rez, I'll check it out!

edit: vr is p cool y'all

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 2, 2019

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Subnautica is a cool game but the VR support is so/so.

I'd go further and call it total poo poo, and shouldn't be considered a VR title.

The dev basically dropped whatever the basic VR framework was onto the game and hit the update button.

It really doesn't work at all and it's a huge shame because base Subnautica is excellent, and proper VR in it would be mind blowing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Subnautica is perfectly playable in VR with a little work, certainly way less work than Fallout VR. Fewer mods needed too and no .ini tweaking.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Moss, Chronos, Lucky's Tale (I think you can still grab it for free?), Edge of Nowhere, are all really fun traditional 3rd person action/adventure games.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Subnautica is perfectly playable in VR with a little work

That's my beef though.

It shouldn't take a "little work" to play.

Like I'm a computer toucher, I can make things go, even very broken things given enough time, but I don't want to do that for free, for myself, after being paid to do it for 8 hours in a lovely office.

Same reason I have an iPhone, I just want the devices to work without dicking with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Moss, Chronos, Lucky's Tale (I think you can still grab it for free?), Edge of Nowhere, are all really fun traditional 3rd person action/adventure games.

Moss relies on VR controls though.

I mean, how else are you gonna high five the little mouse for a friendship powerup?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Butcher posted:

That's my beef though.

It shouldn't take a "little work" to play.

For sure, but like he said Fallout VR is way way way worse and it costs more and is AAA lmao

At least an indie I can understand not having time to put in lots of support

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
On distance.

I personally couldn’t last beyond 30 min in VR. Not because it’s bad, but it’s just, I camera for me let me stomach it. Flips and loops and sideways stuff. Yeah.

With that said the vr is good and the game is amazing. I just have to play it flat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Distance is amazing in VR. Especially when your car gets sliced in half.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

Chronos is great and the setting of the intro area is still one of my favorites in all of VR, period. If you happened to like Remnant, it's a direct sequel to Chronos as an added bonus.

Oh my gosh I did not know this. I loved Chronos. I gotta get Remnant too so I can continue the story.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

Distance is amazing in VR. Especially when your car gets sliced in half.

Oh hell yeah. I can stomach it in small chunks and it’s brilliant. But it always does me in faster than anything.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

On the other hand I think the campaign sucks because why does it have levels that actively require you to play bad?

Because it's an interesting brain exercise to aim for a particular amount of bad cuts or whatever while not exceeding another amount. Like it's really hard to make an intentional mistake and then go back to doing it correctly. It would be a lot better if there was better indication of how far you are through the level though, I don't play the OST songs often enough to recognise that the end is coming up so its hard to know when to make the intentional mistakes.

Having said all of that it would almost certainly be more fun for more people if they just let you get through by doing the game good rather than adding basically a puzzle element to it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Beat Saber: actually a bad game?

Anyone who makes DLC featuring Imagine Dragons cannot possibly have taste in music that isn't dog poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
luckily, beat saber supports custom songs so you can get all your favourite powerpop and anime songs you want

well, not really most of the custom songs are terrible music too, but the game is good enough that the couple good that are on there will last you forever IME

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Got the Rift S all hooked up and I've decided that not enough people are talking about "Until You Fall" itt. It's on sale until tomorrow for $14 and it's a real rush. Played for about 30 minutes last night and the sword fighting is really drat cool and didn't really feel like an early-access game to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Any Samsung Odyssey+ owners here care to comment about whether its worth it or not? It's on sale up here in Canada and the Rift S is like $200 more. I read a lot of good things about everything except the tracking, is it very noticeable or something that can be tolerated? Never used VR before so I'm really torn on whether to get this or a Rift S.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
seems unlikely, but hey, shoot your shot - if anyone has a Vive DAS kicking around, lmk.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What are the recommended games to get over the motion sickness/be able to use locomotion systems? Even in the ISS experience the 'grab a wall and propel yourself' movement system is a bit uncomfortable, I think because the acceleration involved, if I use the normal EVA jet propulsion is better.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Any Samsung Odyssey+ owners here care to comment about whether its worth it or not? It's on sale up here in Canada and the Rift S is like $200 more. I read a lot of good things about everything except the tracking, is it very noticeable or something that can be tolerated? Never used VR before so I'm really torn on whether to get this or a Rift S.
The controller tracking really, really sucks rear end and it's noticeable a large percentage of the time.

If you're dead-set on only using PCVR and your IPD between 60-67, get a Rift S. If not, get a Quest and a Link compatible cable for it. They're worth the extra cost.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got an Odyssey+ and I was braced for terrible tracking but after playing 1~ hour of basically every VR game anyone talks about, the tracking is fine. Maybe if you're already played with other headsets its noticeably bad but as a newbie, it seemed 1:1 for me, with the exception of if I put it behind my back or left the controller alone for a few minutes or w/e and the headset lost track of it.

The screen is lovely, it's relatively comfortable (More so after a few comfort mods like a headband) and honestly I didn't even find the controller ergonomics to be as bad as others in the thread had warned me. Can I imagine better tracking and controllers? Sure, is it so bad that I even notice it during play? Nah

Bare in mind again I'm v new to all this. Maybe in a week or so I'll be like "ACTUALLY IT SUCKS" but rn I'm v happy to have bought the thing on sale and I think I'd have majorly regretted spending more than I did on a VR headset, given what's available out there for them rn.

I'm not even massively fussed about Windows Mixed Reality being a dead platform tbh, the headset itself works fine and plays every game I throw at it, either direct through Steam or with Revive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got in on the Oculus S cyber deal and I don’t have a pc so I got in on component sales too. My brother has an oculus setup and I can’t go back to my PS Move controllers after trying that so yeah.

It won’t be here for a few days but I’m researching my games library now. What’s some stuff that will totally mess with me if I’m scared of heights? That free climbing game looks awesome.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Rolo posted:

I got in on the Oculus S cyber deal and I don’t have a pc so I got in on component sales too. My brother has an oculus setup and I can’t go back to my PS Move controllers after trying that so yeah.

It won’t be here for a few days but I’m researching my games library now. What’s some stuff that will totally mess with me if I’m scared of heights? That free climbing game looks awesome.

The Plank Experience nearly killed one of my friends earlier this weekend

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll try it out!

On the subject of hardware, I’m behind the curve by about 20 years. I ended up with a Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1660ti and 16Gb DDR4.

This will be fine, correct?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Deathlove posted:

seems unlikely, but hey, shoot your shot - if anyone has a Vive DAS kicking around, lmk.

Just so people know Microsoft sells these for $25 off on their ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Vive-Deluxe-Audio-Strap-/264316510818

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

If you play shooters or high speed tracking games like hard Beat Saber, the tracking will drive you nuts and make some modes or difficulties basically unplayable. If not, and you have a well-lit, infrequently changing play area, it's fine and has a great display for the price. It's a good adventure, puzzle, chill, and explore headset, and a budget way to dip a toe into full roomscale VR for stupidly cheap right now and without Facebook. That said, if you can get the Rift S for within $100 more, get that instead.