Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Platinum games is pretty much Clover studios.

Good luck getting a lawsuit through under a different name is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have a turtonator they could trade? I think I've done enough crawling around the lake of outrage for this. I'm fine with a level 1 from an egg.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So people have been mentioning gigantimax meowth for money farming, but how do you even get it? Serebii is listing it as an event pokemon?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

So people have been mentioning gigantimax meowth for money farming, but how do you even get it? Serebii is listing it as an event pokemon?

go to mystery gifts and claim it there

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here's a big ol' ramble about the pokemon anime 3 episodes in, ignore if you want

Ash and Go's dynamic is really fun to see. It's really interesting how they both fit the hotblooded shonen archetype, so the way they make them work as a duo is that they're basically from different eras. Ash is Ash, that boy from the 90s who's hotblooded, willing to help and be friends with everyone, bit of a hick, and seasoned in fighting. Meanwhile Go is the more modern take on shonen, giving out chuuni quotes about grasping the future, reserved with aiding others as he questions bonds, constantly on his phone, and just not very strong yet. The way they can clash and be on the same page so quickly yet staying in character is pretty great.

Also appreciate Go just being extremely attracted to Ash, even if it'll just be bait. That said, if Pokemon of all places lets its protagonist be in a gay relationship, well, that'd be beyond incredible. Until then good bros who sleep together and has one of them heroically make a stand while the other's like "Bro..." and blushing with glistening lips is neat.

Team Rocket's alright so far. Nothing too new yet, but the gacha mechanics are fun. Getting to see them whip out a new monster whenever they show up sounds like a good way of keeping their battles fresh and exciting without having to go a few cours without them, or have that problem of episodes repeating the exact same battle a few months in a row. Still hoping we don't get them each week, tho. lol that last season TR were the reality of peeps in their 20s working food service to make ends while living with their mom. Now they're the reality of peeps in their 20s depending their lives on Gacha. Wonder if Giovanni's legit just making them terrorists since they're seemingly somewhat famous now (from travelling all around the world and having a talking pokemon?)

That was also a good way to sell how strong Pikachu is. First fight just handle a Tyranitar and Gyarados on his own.

Go's reservation seems to come from bad experiences trying to make friends, if we go by that "so you're like them" line, and the girl saying "that's why you never make friends" in hte first episode. Of course Ash is the kind of guy who can go past that and be friends, but it makes me wonder if Go's quest for Mew, a pokemon that can do everyone and be anyone, is supposed to parallel his meeting with Ash, who will take him everywhere and show him everything about the world.

Neat that Ash gets a dad again this season, with Mr Mime, his step-dad, living with him and having breakfast with the boys. Never let Ash not live with a father figure again pls.

Finally, lol at how there were theories of the lab having teleporters or that Lugia would fly them everywhere, when they just take a plane to Galar next week. I guess it really be that simple. Given Japan's love for trains, I expect a two-parter dedicated to the goldenrod train. Anyway, I'm glad we're closing the year with an episode on the Battle Frontier, which the cowardly GameFreak wants us to forget.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Flopsy posted:

Pity clover studios is dead....

anybody here know if a den resets if you lose? As in a different pokemon the same species comes through?

If you’d lose the den just remains as is with the same Pokémon inside for you to refight. This also means you can save the game and then endlessly host a rare popular den like gmax charizard or five star ditto because once th capture window comes up you can reset your game and not lose the den, while the other 1-3 players can try to capture the mon and then you host It again. If by some miracle I got a perfect ditto lair I’d host that poo poo nonstop for goons (though I’d want a nonenglosh goon to toss me one of those dittos).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here's a big ol' ramble about the pokemon anime 3 episodes in, ignore if you want

Ash and Go's dynamic is really fun to see. It's really interesting how they both fit the hotblooded shonen archetype, so the way they make them work as a duo is that they're basically from different eras. Ash is Ash, that boy from the 90s who's hotblooded, willing to help and be friends with everyone, bit of a hick, and seasoned in fighting. Meanwhile Go is the more modern take on shonen, giving out chuuni quotes about grasping the future, reserved with aiding others as he questions bonds, constantly on his phone, and just not very strong yet. The way they can clash and be on the same page so quickly yet staying in character is pretty great.

Also appreciate Go just being extremely attracted to Ash, even if it'll just be bait. That said, if Pokemon of all places lets its protagonist be in a gay relationship, well, that'd be beyond incredible. Until then good bros who sleep together and has one of them heroically make a stand while the other's like "Bro..." and blushing with glistening lips is neat.

Team Rocket's alright so far. Nothing too new yet, but the gacha mechanics are fun. Getting to see them whip out a new monster whenever they show up sounds like a good way of keeping their battles fresh and exciting without having to go a few cours without them, or have that problem of episodes repeating the exact same battle a few months in a row. Still hoping we don't get them each week, tho. lol that last season TR were the reality of peeps in their 20s working food service to make ends while living with their mom. Now they're the reality of peeps in their 20s depending their lives on Gacha. Wonder if Giovanni's legit just making them terrorists since they're seemingly somewhat famous now (from travelling all around the world and having a talking pokemon?)

That was also a good way to sell how strong Pikachu is. First fight just handle a Tyranitar and Gyarados on his own.

Go's reservation seems to come from bad experiences trying to make friends, if we go by that "so you're like them" line, and the girl saying "that's why you never make friends" in hte first episode. Of course Ash is the kind of guy who can go past that and be friends, but it makes me wonder if Go's quest for Mew, a pokemon that can do everyone and be anyone, is supposed to parallel his meeting with Ash, who will take him everywhere and show him everything about the world.

Neat that Ash gets a dad again this season, with Mr Mime, his step-dad, living with him and having breakfast with the boys. Never let Ash not live with a father figure again pls.

Finally, lol at how there were theories of the lab having teleporters or that Lugia would fly them everywhere, when they just take a plane to Galar next week. I guess it really be that simple. Given Japan's love for trains, I expect a two-parter dedicated to the goldenrod train. Anyway, I'm glad we're closing the year with an episode on the Battle Frontier, which the cowardly GameFreak wants us to forget.

How utterly mad do you reckon pokemon nerds would be if Ash's first actual relationship is with a boy? Especially after all the teasing with Serena went loving no where. Mind you I have no expectations I'm just musing here.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So this is the gen I finally got into doubles and actually it's pretty fun?!?!

The main main difference has been renting teams. Having a fully ready, tested team that isn't a bunch of my 1v1 mons slotted into weird spots makes such a big difference and has really gotten me into the game. It's great to know I messed up because I'm learning, not because I messed up an EV spread or a nature or the wrong move.

That and 3v3 singles really is nowhere near as fun as 6v6 singles imo (Oh look it's Mimikyu again)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/posty_hd/status/1201270965495189505?s=20

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you’d lose the den just remains as is with the same Pokémon inside for you to refight. This also means you can save the game and then endlessly host a rare popular den like gmax charizard or five star ditto because once th capture window comes up you can reset your game and not lose the den, while the other 1-3 players can try to capture the mon and then you host It again. If by some miracle I got a perfect ditto lair I’d host that poo poo nonstop for goons (though I’d want a nonenglosh goon to toss me one of those dittos).

Wait are the IV's of a mon set when the raid spawns or something? I'm assuming if you see a ditto spawn you save before you go in, capture it to check IV's and then you can reset and host if it's good?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Eimi posted:

Wait are the IV's of a mon set when the raid spawns or something? I'm assuming if you see a ditto spawn you save before you go in, capture it to check IV's and then you can reset and host if it's good?

Yep. Everything about a mon is set at spawn.

In fact, a lot of RNG related stuff is set long before you can scum it basically.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eimi posted:

Yes you can "dupe" pokemon this way by letting 3 people join and the host resets over and over. Between this and the resetting for good stuff it's all anyone does so actually joining a raid is impossible lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mef989 posted:

It almost feels like cheating to be able to take Zamazenta, Eternatus and Mew as my battle tower team. I suppose it may feel more fair when I get further?

Mew?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Yep, you can get one from the Pokeball Plus on SwSh. They were $20 on Black Friday so I snagged one. It's become my first level 100 since RBY and I use it to cover a few types that Eternus and Zamazenta don't.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Autism Sneaks posted:

am I the only one who thinks Eternatus not only sucks because they are just kind of dropped into the already threadbare story and you don't get to catch a box legendary until the postgame, but also because they look like poo poo? like the dogs are silly but they have the classic legendary look, serious anime eyes etc, Eternatus could have come from loving Digimon, make me think of a buggy wireframe Giratina

Eternatus seems to be inspired by a warp gate in EVE.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So this is the gen I finally got into doubles and actually it's pretty fun?!?!

The main main difference has been renting teams. Having a fully ready, tested team that isn't a bunch of my 1v1 mons slotted into weird spots makes such a big difference and has really gotten me into the game. It's great to know I messed up because I'm learning, not because I messed up an EV spread or a nature or the wrong move.

That and 3v3 singles really is nowhere near as fun as 6v6 singles imo (Oh look it's Mimikyu again)

I got into doubles last gen and I agree it's great. It's a little annoying that most of your team needs a moveslot devoted to protect, but I really love the extra layer of strategy in targeting different slots

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Eimi posted:

I've been doing the date change trick to try and catch a good ditto and I'm shocked that it seems the HA is rarer than getting a 5 IV one. I've got one 5 IV one so far but no HA.

How do you check IVs? I got an imposter Ditto on my first raid. I don’t care about competitive Pokémon, but I guess it’d be nice to know for trade reasons

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Open Marriage Night posted:

How do you check IVs? I got an imposter Ditto on my first raid. I don’t care about competitive Pokémon, but I guess it’d be nice to know for trade reasons

Beat the first 4 matches in Battle tower. Just use a rental team.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mef989 posted:

Yep, you can get one from the Pokeball Plus on SwSh. They were $20 on Black Friday so I snagged one. It's become my first level 100 since RBY and I use it to cover a few types that Eternus and Zamazenta don't.

you can connect the pokeball plus to SwSh???

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mef989 posted:

It almost feels like cheating to be able to take Zamazenta, Eternatus and Mew as my battle tower team. I suppose it may feel more fair when I get further?

Choice scarf dracovish is better then any of them

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dizz posted:

you can connect the pokeball plus to SwSh???

Yeah. It just gives you rare candies, stardust, and various pokeballs depending on what you do with it while walking around. It can’t be used as a controller or anything like that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zuzie posted:

Appletun's fine at the end right? Right?

he's been transferred to a farms upstate, don't worry

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Eimi posted:

https://twitter.com/twilightsthorn/status/1201148741815812097?s=21

So after a day of atrocious luck ditto farming, I am genuinely wondering if it would be faster to just give up and accept using my 5 iv one for breeding instead of rolling for a 6 iv, since I've yet to find another 5 even. Especially if hacked mons are making their way into the ecosystem, I can wonder trade while breeding but can't ditto farming.

how does it work? Are they guaranteed 4 IVs and then the other 2 are random? Because if so, you realise each time you have a less than 1 in 1000 chance of getting 6 IVs?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

how does it work? Are they guaranteed 4 IVs and then the other 2 are random? Because if so, you realise each time you have a less than 1 in 1000 chance of getting 6 IVs?

5.stars have a higher chance of having those last 2 be max.

My 5 star catches have been 5 ivs about 26% of the time from my own bookkeeping

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Team Rocket still Jesse, James and Meowth? If they want to replace Ash's friends each time then fine but I will not stand for them breaking up the Team Rocket family in the same way

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a way to evolve this Gigantamax Meowth I got from the mystery gift? Or does it not evolve because it's a G-Max

Also I finally got Zamazenta and got the "The End" screen at almost exactly 20 hours. I guess now my desire to catch 'em all intensifies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Is Team Rocket still Jesse, James and Meowth? If they want to replace Ash's friends each time then fine but I will not stand for them breaking up the Team Rocket family in the same way

Team Rocket is still the same as they always were (in the current show they even went back to using their original motto from the first season).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a way to evolve this Gigantamax Meowth I got from the mystery gift? Or does it not evolve because it's a G-Max

Also I finally got Zamazenta and got the "The End" screen at almost exactly 20 hours. I guess now my desire to catch 'em all intensifies.

That specific meowth won't evolve.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

COOL CORN posted:

It doesn’t evolve. If you want a Persian you’ve either got to breed the G-max Meowth or there’s an ingame trade for a regular Meowth(in exchange for a Galar Meowth).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RatHat posted:

It doesn’t evolve. If you want a Persian you’ve either got to breed the G-max Meowth or there’s an ingame trade for a regular Meowth(in exchange for a Galar Meowth).

To add to this, I think if you want a Kantonian Meowth from that G-Max one, it needs to hold the Everstone.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChaosArgate posted:

To add to this, I think if you want a Kantonian Meowth from that G-Max one, it needs to hold the Everstone.
Yeah, to get non-Galarian forms (this applies to Yamask too!) you have to breed a non-Galarian form mon holding an Everstone.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

Yes, and Wubboffet. Go is shown a wanted sign and goes "oh yeah, i read about them online. They sound kinda dangerous but that talking meowth rumor has to be fake, right?" And marked the gently caress out when they did the motto and Meowth talked.

Giovanni gives them a gacha machine this season, first time they pulled a tyranitar and gyarados.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, to get non-Galarian forms (this applies to Yamask too!) you have to breed a non-Galarian form mon holding an Everstone.

that works for darmanita, farfetch, and co?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kurtofan posted:

that works for darmanita, farfetch, and co?

Nope. Only regular Meowth, Yamask, and Mr. Mime are in the game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RatHat posted:

Nope. Only regular Meowth, Yamask, and Mr. Mime are in the game.

oh :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Well the normal forms and Alola forms are in the files but may or may not ever be available in the game. Along with the Gen 1 and 8 starters, Meltan and Melmetal, a bunch of mythicals, and some random legendaries(like the Gen 5 dragon trio for some reason?).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, and Wubboffet. Go is shown a wanted sign and goes "oh yeah, i read about them online. They sound kinda dangerous but that talking meowth rumor has to be fake, right?" And marked the gently caress out when they did the motto and Meowth talked.

Giovanni gives them a gacha machine this season, first time they pulled a tyranitar and gyarados.

I still want James to catch a Galarian Weezing at some point but the idea of them having randomized teams each time is fun too (maybe even have them get unlucky every once in a while and pull like a Metapod and/or a Magikarp or something like that).

I would also like to see the anime writers utilize the Dynamax/Gigantamax system to bring us Pokemon kaiju fights.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

why don’t they just use their new gacha machine to make a shitload of money

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

5.stars have a higher chance of having those last 2 be max.

My 5 star catches have been 5 ivs about 26% of the time from my own bookkeeping

If the last 2 have a probability of 1 in 8 of being max (say, if they are randomly 24-31) then that would mean there is a probability of 15 in 64 or about 23.4% of being 5 IV but not 6 IV., which would be fairly consistent with that. That would still mean each one has only a 1 in 64 probability of being 6 IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

COOL CORN posted:

unfortunately you can't do that in this game, but you can fill out your galar dex