Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe Rizzo and Wanka lied to me lads.

'Giving chai' is when you give gifts and donations in a multiple of 18, which is terrible for Jeremy Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I can't believe they're just pretending the queen isn't dead

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Calico Heart posted:

Would the queen dying mean a surge in Tory votes? Ugh, probably

Also won’t it cost loads because we have to have a massive state funeral and also reprint our money?

No need to reprint money (or stamps for that matter) - George VI coins were still a pretty common sight in change until very recently, and the relatively short half-life of banknotes (about a year, IIRC) means they'll not really be replaced any quicker if they're recalled.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The queen is not deeeaad!
I'm so sad the queen is not dead,

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Mislead monarch mortification

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No need to reprint money (or stamps for that matter) - George VI coins were still a pretty common sight in change until very recently, and the relatively short half-life of banknotes (about a year, IIRC) means they'll not really be replaced any quicker if they're recalled.
I thought the new poly notes were supposed to last 5 minimum.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
ATTN THRED!!!

We have confirmation that it was a hoax!

The Queen has made a public appearance, and King Prince Andrew says: "Everything is going as planned."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
This is going to be insanely unpopular once it starts lol

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1201419552116150272?s=19

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
gently caress Gibbo. Never trusted him or cheeks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Funnier option would be that the queen has literally just been found dead, unexpectedly and completely separate to the rumours, and now they have no loving idea what to do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
UKIP (remember them?) leader on Sky News at the moment unable to name any of the seats they're standing in, and claiming that the Brexit Party are too new for people to vote for while UKIP have been around forever.

Now she's literally reading from a printout of their manifesto, and has been completely baffled by Adam Boulton pointing out that their immigration policy is identical to current Government policy.

e: Oh my god this is absolutely amazing, the "I don't know anything about politics but here are all my opinions" energy is strong.

ee: On Tommy Robinson - "his association with other racist parties... erm, other parties that are racist, UKIP isn't racist" This is the greatest bit of comedy in television history.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 2, 2019

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Funnier option would be that the queen has literally just been found dead, unexpectedly and completely separate to the rumours, and now they have no loving idea what to do.

https://twitter.com/samneale11/status/1201276882186059776?s=19

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did anything interesting or weird happen last night not including the Queen death hoax? Could it have been used as a diversion? Just seems really weird such a tremendous rumour had SO much attention with no one outright denying it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jose posted:

ESTA checks are done online and take like maybe 30 mins or so?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Finally caught up with 1700 posts, gently caress's sake

Failed Imagineerr posted:

Net gain from 2017, adjust your .XLSX's accordingly

Actually it's a googlesheet and I have added it as requested, just below the sweepstakes which everyone needs to fill out!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101ShRNc4MC1YtBI2XE0ru8rda4aTlNBaIytsutD-QIc/edit#gid=1959274628

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

The Deleter posted:

I'm so sad the queen is not dead,

Wow Prince Andrew, I didn't know you had any rhythm?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Classic bants from Ricey and Gibbo, what a wind up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Did anything interesting or weird happen last night not including the Queen death hoax? Could it have been used as a diversion? Just seems really weird such a tremendous rumour had SO much attention with no one outright denying it.

The problem is that British journalism is atrophied and bad at social media. Something can go viral on WhatsApp and they just won't notice it.

https://twitter.com/rachaelkrishna/status/1201272851313176580?s=21

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jose posted:

loving christ, that'll make visiting the in-laws an absolute ball-ache.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

loving christ, that'll make visiting the in-laws an absolute ball-ache.

Jo Swinson will have a tough time going on holiday with all that squirrel murder under her belt, no wonder she hates brexit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

John Crace did another article where he doesn't have to pretend Corbyn and Johnson are both equally bad so it's a fun read https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/boris-johnson-a-one-trick-pony-straight-out-of-the-political-wild-west

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Maybe this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/bbc-to-screen-interview-with-prince-andrew-accuser

But more seriously it's just perfect viral content - plenty of meme potential and everyone loves a good rumour about Brenda.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kill All Cops posted:

ESTA checks are done online and take like maybe 30 mins or so?

A friend did some work in Libya I think it was on an EU-funded project and so the online ESTA check didn't work.
He had to go to the US Embassy in London to be interviewed to get a visa for a week's holiday and when he arrived, his wife's baggage came out on the carousel, but his case didn't. It was the only missing case. It was the 5th day of the holiday before it turned up and his case had been thoroughly rifled.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You can all but guarantee that a small subset of conspiracy wingnuts now believes that not only is the Queen dead, but has been replaced with a lookalike. Can't wait for #gibbogate to start trending

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weekend at Brenda's

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

The problem is that British journalism is atrophied and bad at social media. Something can go viral on WhatsApp and they just won't notice it.

https://twitter.com/rachaelkrishna/status/1201272851313176580?s=21

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/bbc-to-screen-interview-with-prince-andrew-accuser

But more seriously it's just perfect viral content - plenty of meme potential and everyone loves a good rumour about Brenda.

Thank you both. The viral content part and meme ability makes sense, it was more the fact that I was surprised there were no denials from anyone.
Unless they feel this kind of thing is so beneath them as to not bother getting involved.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

Thank you both. The viral content part and meme ability makes sense, it was more the fact that I was surprised there were no denials from anyone.
Unless they feel this kind of thing is so beneath them as to not bother getting involved.

Acknowledging it is the worst way to make the story go away. Ref: Jo Swinson's firmly established pogrom against squirrels

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Buckingham Palace loathe to comment on things like this because if they do it for every little rumour then it opens the floodgates to commenting on other things.

"No, Liz isn't dead, pay no attention to the viral dick pic WhatsApp" is hardly the kind of press release they want to dignify the rumour with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

Acknowledging it is the worst way to make the story go away. Ref: Jo Swinson's firmly established pogrom against squirrels

As noted even by epic brain man James Ball https://twitter.com/RebootedStef/status/1201434862630162434

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Is it true that one of the Queen's Horrocruxs is the act of England winning the World Cup?

She should be safe until the heat death of the universe then

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
once enough people spread or comment on a thing, it becomes data, and the data journalist springs into action

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Shitrag The Express posted:

Queen death hoax: Sick trolls panic royal fans with 'evil' fake claim about Queen

THE QUEEN is alive and preparing to host Donald Trump at Buckingham Palace dispelling a distasteful hoax about her apparent death which spread across social media causing royal fans to panic and “freak out”.

The hoax was sparked by fictitious messages posted on Twitter suggesting the monarch 93, had died on Sunday morning. The sickening prank included a message said to be from a group chat of the Queen’s guards which warned members to prepare for two weeks of ceremonies to give the head of state a fitting send off. The palace has refused to comment on the story. Charlie Proctor, the editor of Royal Central, responded by saying the rumours were somewhat of an annual occurrence.

The sick rumours were sparked by a photo posted online showing a screenshot of a group chat called “Old times”.

Another person added: “What’s all this about the Queen being dead? Why is it trending?

“If it’s a joke, it’s rotten.”

Another royal fan said: "Making jokes about the Queen's death is evil."

The Express is outraged, OUTRAGED that anyone would exploit rumours of the Queen's death for attention!

Also from The Express at 0327 this morning:

quote:

Queen Elizabeth II shock: How Her Majesty’s death will spark an unusual chain of events

Rehash, rehash, protocols, everything copy-pasted from previous articles. No mention of whether or not she has died or even of the rumours this article was definitely not published in response to for clicks, nosiree.

Comments are not allowed, for some reason :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No mention of the dick pic, shameful. #jesuisgibbo

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

peanut- posted:

If only Prince Andrew had been allowed to address this rumour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

The Express is outraged, OUTRAGED that anyone would exploit rumours of the Queen's death for attention!

Also from The Express at 0327 this morning:

Comments are not allowed, for some reason :D

https://twitter.com/SteffanBlayney/status/1201288555785605120

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Buckingham Palace loathe to comment on things like this because if they do it for every little rumour then it opens the floodgates to commenting on other things.

"No, Liz isn't dead, pay no attention to the viral dick pic WhatsApp" is hardly the kind of press release they want to dignify the rumour with.

It's okay, during the night the paps used a long-lens camera and a parabolic microphone to confirm that Brenda is still alive, or at least on an iron lung.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1201405441537970181?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And he's gonna nationalise your penis too!!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Tesseraction posted:

And he's gonna nationalise your penis too!!

Might actually get some use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

From each according to their rigidity, to each according to their nudes :awesome: