Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so

Kylaer posted:

:ohno:

If someone invests solely in metals, and you want to convince them otherwise, you're going to be trying to change an ideology, not a strategy.

Yeah, we suspect it’s ideology rather than strategy, which is why we are hoping to encourage this diversification strategy first, and let the results speak for themselves. “Oh look, your $100 in silver rounds is still worth $100, if someone will pay you $100 for it. And the $100 in VTSAX is now $107 you can sell it for exactly $107 right now, or let that 107 get more distributions quarterly ...”

Any advice on breaking through ideology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I honestly doubt showing them the results will have any impact. Ideology has proven to be remarkably resistant to results, throughout human history.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kylaer posted:

I honestly doubt showing them the results will have any impact. Ideology has proven to be remarkably resistant to results, throughout human history.

I have a friend who invests mainly in silver, gold, coins, and bitcoin. No matter how many years roll by he remains convinced that the world economy is coming to an end, and that one day he will lord over all with his stack of precious metals.

It is definitely an ideology

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If your ideology is that the world is going to end/we all live in madmax world you're better off "investing" in booze, bullets and dried beans.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

If your ideology is that the world is going to end/we all live in madmax world you're better off "investing" in booze, bullets and dried beans.

I'd just assume people in that lifestyle have all that stuff as well in their basement hidden behind a fake wall

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's funny that people concerned with societal collapse are hermetic weirdos who expect to kill people on the regular

When actual historic evidence says that the best "prepping" you can do is to be on good terms with your neighbors.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's funny that people concerned with societal collapse are hermetic weirdos who expect to kill people on the regular

No, it's not weird. I've long had a theory that a lot of preppers actually want this poo poo to happen. They're sexually excited at this fantasy world that they'll be able to rape their neighbors' wives because they'll be the only one with the guns and the food when the hard times come.

And no, I'm not joking. It's just a sick power fantasy for these men, where they'll be the hard man making hard decisions, and taking their occasional rewards that come from it.

It's just another version of that "I studied the blade" meme. "You guys didn't prepare - look who's laughing now."

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Of course the serious preppers want it. The thing, though, is that just about everyone has a power fantasy, although most are probably less murderous. Everyone wants to win the lottery, to get signed by a professional sports team for tens of millions of dollars, to have their song go viral online and have the cash come pouring in, to break into Hollywood, to see their bitcoin or penny-stock investment go to the moon. Everybody wants money, everybody wants power, everybody wants attractive people of their sexual preference vying for their attention. Most people probably don't want to kill people as part of their fantasy but they absolutely want to rub their success in peoples' faces, to tell their bosses to gently caress off, to make everyone who's ever annoyed them regret not having been nicer for a chance at some scraps from your table. Or look at the average poor young man entangled in the drug trade - I guarantee his fantasy is to rise to a position of power within the trade, and as part of that, to have men who are willing to kill on his command. There's nothing outlandish about murder in that kind of power fantasy, that's exactly what crime kingpins do, happens every day. Thankfully, in contrast to the prevalence of organized crime, the world seems disinclined to give preppers the opportunity to live out their dreams.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The worst problem with being a post-apocalyptic wasteland king is that there's no more internet to brag on about it. We need to modify the Navy SEAL copypasta for the new position now so that survivors can commit it to memory and send it to each other via pigeon or inscribe it on fence posts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

The worst problem with being a post-apocalyptic wasteland king is that there's no more internet to brag on about it. We need to modify the Navy SEAL copypasta for the new position now so that survivors can commit it to memory and send it to each other via pigeon or inscribe it on fence posts.

Excuse me sir, I believe you forgot about both the existence of, and prominence of in that community, ham radio.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
.-- .... .- - / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / ... .- -.-- / .- -... --- ..- - / -- . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -... .. - -.-. .... ..--.. / .. .----. .-.. .-.. / .... .- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .. / --. .-. .- -.. ..- .- - . -.. / - --- .--. / --- ..-. / -- -.-- / -.-. .-.. .- ... ... / .. -. / - .... . / -. .- ...- -.-- / ... . .- .-.. ... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. .----. ...- . / -... . . -. / .. -. ...- --- .-.. ...- . -.. / .. -. / -. ..- -- . .-. --- ..- ... / ... . -.-. .-. . - / .-. .- .. -.. ... / --- -. / .- .-.. -....- --.- ..- .- . -.. .- --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. / .... .- ...- . / --- ...- . .-. / ...-- ----- ----- / -.-. --- -. ..-. .. .-. -- . -.. / -.- .. .-.. .-.. ... .-.-.- / .. / .- -- / - .-. .- .. -. . -.. / .. -. / --. --- .-. .. .-.. .-.. .- / .-- .- .-. ..-. .- .-. . / .- -. -.. / .. .----. -- / - .... . / - --- .--. / ... -. .. .--. . .-. / .. -. / - .... . / . -. - .. .-. . / ..- ... / .- .-. -- . -.. / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . / -. --- - .... .. -. --. / - --- / -- . / -... ..- - / .--- ..- ... - / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / - .- .-. --. . - .-.-.- / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / -.-- --- ..- / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / --- ..- - / .-- .. - .... / .--. .-. . -.-. .. ... .. --- -. / - .... . / .-.. .. -.- . ... / --- ..-. / .-- .... .. -.-. .... / .... .- ... / -. . ...- . .-. / -... . . -. / ... . . -. / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / --- -. / - .... .. ... / . .- .-. - .... --..-- / -- .- .-. -.- / -- -.-- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / .-- --- .-. -.. ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / - .... .. -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / --. . - / .- .-- .- -.-- / .-- .. - .... / ... .- -.-- .. -. --. / - .... .- - / ... .... .. - / - --- / -- . / --- ...- . .-. / - .... . / .. -. - . .-. -. . - ..--.. / - .... .. -. -.- / .- --. .- .. -. --..-- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- . .-. .-.-.- / .- ... / .-- . / ... .--. . .- -.- / .. / .- -- / -.-. --- -. - .- -.-. - .. -. --. / -- -.-- / ... . -.-. .-. . - / -. . - .-- --- .-. -.- / --- ..-. / ... .--. .. . ... / .- -.-. .-. --- ... ... / - .... . / ..- ... .- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .. .--. / .. ... / -... . .. -. --. / - .-. .- -.-. . -.. / .-. .. --. .... - / -. --- .-- / ... --- / -.-- --- ..- / -... . - - . .-. / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. . / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . / ... - --- .-. -- --..-- / -- .- --. --. --- - .-.-.- / - .... . / ... - --- .-. -- / - .... .- - / .-- .. .--. . ... / --- ..- - / - .... . / .--. .- - .... . - .. -.-. / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / - .... .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. . .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. . .- -.. --..-- / -.- .. -.. .-.-.- / .. / -.-. .- -. / -... . / .- -. -.-- .-- .... . .-. . --..-- / .- -. -.-- - .. -- . --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. / -.- .. .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .. -. / --- ...- . .-. / ... . ...- . -. / .... ..- -. -.. .-. . -.. / .-- .- -.-- ... --..-- / .- -. -.. / - .... .- - .----. ... / .--- ..- ... - / .-- .. - .... / -- -.-- / -... .- .-. . / .... .- -. -.. ... .-.-.- / -. --- - / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .- -- / .. / . -..- - . -. ... .. ...- . .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- .. -. . -.. / .. -. / ..- -. .- .-. -- . -.. / -.-. --- -- -... .- - --..-- / -... ..- - / .. / .... .- ...- . / .- -.-. -.-. . ... ... / - --- / - .... . / . -. - .. .-. . / .- .-. ... . -. .- .-.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / ..- -. .. - . -.. / ... - .- - . ... / -- .- .-. .. -. . / -.-. --- .-. .--. ... / .- -. -.. / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ..- ... . / .. - / - --- / .. - ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / . -..- - . -. - / - --- / .-- .. .--. . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- .. ... . .-. .- -... .-.. . / .- ... ... / --- ..-. ..-. / - .... . / ..-. .- -.-. . / --- ..-. / - .... . / -.-. --- -. - .. -. . -. - --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / ... .... .. - .-.-.- / .. ..-. / --- -. .-.. -.-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -.- -. --- .-- -. / .-- .... .- - / ..- -. .... --- .-.. -.-- / .-. . - .-. .. -... ..- - .. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / .-..-. -.-. .-.. . ...- . .-. .-..-. / -.-. --- -- -- . -. - / .-- .- ... / .- -... --- ..- - / - --- / -... .-. .. -. --. / -.. --- .-- -. / ..- .--. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / -- .- -.-- -... . / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / .... . .-.. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / - --- -. --. ..- . .-.-.- / -... ..- - / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.. .. -.. -. .----. - --..-- / .- -. -.. / -. --- .-- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / .--. .- -.-- .. -. --. / - .... . / .--. .-. .. -.-. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .. -.. .. --- - .-.-.- / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... .... .. - / ..-. ..- .-. -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / --- ...- . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -.. .-. --- .-- -. / .. -. / .. - .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. . .- -.. --..-- / -.- .. -.. -.. --- .-.-.-

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

.-- .... .- - / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / ... .- -.-- / .- -... --- ..- - / -- . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -... .. - -.-. .... ..--.. / .. .----. .-.. .-.. / .... .- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .. / --. .-. .- -.. ..- .- - . -.. / - --- .--. / --- ..-. / -- -.-- / -.-. .-.. .- ... ... / .. -. / - .... . / -. .- ...- -.-- / ... . .- .-.. ... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. .----. ...- . / -... . . -. / .. -. ...- --- .-.. ...- . -.. / .. -. / -. ..- -- . .-. --- ..- ... / ... . -.-. .-. . - / .-. .- .. -.. ... / --- -. / .- .-.. -....- --.- ..- .- . -.. .- --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. / .... .- ...- . / --- ...- . .-. / ...-- ----- ----- / -.-. --- -. ..-. .. .-. -- . -.. / -.- .. .-.. .-.. ... .-.-.- / .. / .- -- / - .-. .- .. -. . -.. / .. -. / --. --- .-. .. .-.. .-.. .- / .-- .- .-. ..-. .- .-. . / .- -. -.. / .. .----. -- / - .... . / - --- .--. / ... -. .. .--. . .-. / .. -. / - .... . / . -. - .. .-. . / ..- ... / .- .-. -- . -.. / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . / -. --- - .... .. -. --. / - --- / -- . / -... ..- - / .--- ..- ... - / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / - .- .-. --. . - .-.-.- / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / -.-- --- ..- / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / --- ..- - / .-- .. - .... / .--. .-. . -.-. .. ... .. --- -. / - .... . / .-.. .. -.- . ... / --- ..-. / .-- .... .. -.-. .... / .... .- ... / -. . ...- . .-. / -... . . -. / ... . . -. / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / --- -. / - .... .. ... / . .- .-. - .... --..-- / -- .- .-. -.- / -- -.-- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / .-- --- .-. -.. ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / - .... .. -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / --. . - / .- .-- .- -.-- / .-- .. - .... / ... .- -.-- .. -. --. / - .... .- - / ... .... .. - / - --- / -- . / --- ...- . .-. / - .... . / .. -. - . .-. -. . - ..--.. / - .... .. -. -.- / .- --. .- .. -. --..-- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- . .-. .-.-.- / .- ... / .-- . / ... .--. . .- -.- / .. / .- -- / -.-. --- -. - .- -.-. - .. -. --. / -- -.-- / ... . -.-. .-. . - / -. . - .-- --- .-. -.- / --- ..-. / ... .--. .. . ... / .- -.-. .-. --- ... ... / - .... . / ..- ... .- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .. .--. / .. ... / -... . .. -. --. / - .-. .- -.-. . -.. / .-. .. --. .... - / -. --- .-- / ... --- / -.-- --- ..- / -... . - - . .-. / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. . / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . / ... - --- .-. -- --..-- / -- .- --. --. --- - .-.-.- / - .... . / ... - --- .-. -- / - .... .- - / .-- .. .--. . ... / --- ..- - / - .... . / .--. .- - .... . - .. -.-. / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / - .... .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. . .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. . .- -.. --..-- / -.- .. -.. .-.-.- / .. / -.-. .- -. / -... . / .- -. -.-- .-- .... . .-. . --..-- / .- -. -.-- - .. -- . --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. / -.- .. .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .. -. / --- ...- . .-. / ... . ...- . -. / .... ..- -. -.. .-. . -.. / .-- .- -.-- ... --..-- / .- -. -.. / - .... .- - .----. ... / .--- ..- ... - / .-- .. - .... / -- -.-- / -... .- .-. . / .... .- -. -.. ... .-.-.- / -. --- - / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .- -- / .. / . -..- - . -. ... .. ...- . .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- .. -. . -.. / .. -. / ..- -. .- .-. -- . -.. / -.-. --- -- -... .- - --..-- / -... ..- - / .. / .... .- ...- . / .- -.-. -.-. . ... ... / - --- / - .... . / . -. - .. .-. . / .- .-. ... . -. .- .-.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / ..- -. .. - . -.. / ... - .- - . ... / -- .- .-. .. -. . / -.-. --- .-. .--. ... / .- -. -.. / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ..- ... . / .. - / - --- / .. - ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / . -..- - . -. - / - --- / .-- .. .--. . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- .. ... . .-. .- -... .-.. . / .- ... ... / --- ..-. ..-. / - .... . / ..-. .- -.-. . / --- ..-. / - .... . / -.-. --- -. - .. -. . -. - --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / ... .... .. - .-.-.- / .. ..-. / --- -. .-.. -.-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -.- -. --- .-- -. / .-- .... .- - / ..- -. .... --- .-.. -.-- / .-. . - .-. .. -... ..- - .. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / .-..-. -.-. .-.. . ...- . .-. .-..-. / -.-. --- -- -- . -. - / .-- .- ... / .- -... --- ..- - / - --- / -... .-. .. -. --. / -.. --- .-- -. / ..- .--. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / -- .- -.-- -... . / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / .... . .-.. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / - --- -. --. ..- . .-.-.- / -... ..- - / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.. .. -.. -. .----. - --..-- / .- -. -.. / -. --- .-- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / .--. .- -.-- .. -. --. / - .... . / .--. .-. .. -.-. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .. -.. .. --- - .-.-.- / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... .... .. - / ..-. ..- .-. -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / --- ...- . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -.. .-. --- .-- -. / .. -. / .. - .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .----. .-. . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. / -.. . .- -.. --..-- / -.- .. -.. -.. --- .-.-.-

Translation: Put it all in gold bars!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When actual historic evidence says that the best "prepping" you can do is to be on good terms with your neighbors.

My old boss lives next to a prepper and he's always saying he didn't believe in doomsday stuff but he's got all the guns and ammo, so why does he need to prep if his neighbor is doing it all for him?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Translation: Put it all in gold bars!

Thanks, my telegraph is in the shop, can you believe how hard it is to find a good telegraph mechanic these days?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Fhqwhgads posted:

My old boss lives next to a prepper and he's always saying he didn't believe in doomsday stuff but he's got all the guns and ammo, so why does he need to prep if his neighbor is doing it all for him?

:hmmyes:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I admit I have some prepper stuff in my basement. It's a box of power bars and a can of water. Also I'm in California and expecting a huge earthquake any day now.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I admit I have some prepper stuff in my basement. It's a box of power bars and a can of water. Also I'm in California and expecting a huge earthquake any day now.
Honestly, depending on your geographical situation, a certain amount of disaster-preparation makes sense. Natural disasters are real things that do happen. It's when you think you're going to ride to the bullet farms in your Death Charger that things get out of hand.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

None of these people including all of us would survive mid to long term collapse of the global food system anyway

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Most of us wouldn’t want to survive a collapse of the world economy. Imagine Black Friday with killing and empty stores - no thanks.

We do keep enough food and supplies to last a couple of weeks to a month. We went weeks without reliable power, running water, or sewer when the town we lived in flooded a few years back. It’s at the very least a pain in the rear end to find something simple like drinking water when everyone else in town needs drinking water..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

None of these people including all of us would survive mid to long term collapse of the global food system anyway

That's the real bottom line. Sure, you garden/farm/can/hunt or something maybe, but that's not really a long term plan for almost everyone, even those who do three or more of those things. Because the inputs you are used to would be gone. Fuel, seeds....and the methods you learned how to do those things........it's all very much a thing where if you think you'll even just survive you have to suspend your disbelief a lot to hold a position other than "save the last bullet for yourself."

Fortunately it's also overwhelmingly unlikely to have a global collapse on that scale. Yes, things are gonna go very, very wrong, but we're not talking The Road, Walking Dead or Day After Tomorrow level. And if that actually happens.......we're back to "Giant Comet 2020" and none of your poo poo matters.

I will admit to being very well "prepared" in bows, guns and ammo, but that's a function of a target shooting and hunting hobby and I hold no belief that this helps me at all for anything other than that.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 2, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Please don't

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am at the point were I need to get a quick check on my allocations. I kind of have been on auto pilot. Sitting at about 240K invested between 401k, Roth IRA, HSA, and Taxable.

US Stock: 69.4% (Large 48.3%, Mid 18.5%, Small 2.5% ) $175K
Int Stock: 17.6% (Developed 15.2%, Emerging 1.8%) $43K
Alternatives: 3.9%
US Bond: 7.3%
Int Bond: 1%
Cash: 1%

My mid seems like it is too high and should trend to large more. Which I can do with my 401k since I have a large/mid/small fund each and no total market.

Otherwise I think things are OK? maybe too much international? Thoughts?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ropes4u posted:

It’s at the very least a pain in the rear end to find something simple like drinking water when everyone else in town needs drinking water..

Motronic posted:

That's the real bottom line. Sure, you garden/farm/can/hunt or something maybe, but that's not really a long term plan for almost everyone, even those who do three or more of those things. Because the inputs you are used to would be gone.

I remember looking for vegetable seeds on Amazon a couple years ago when I was idly considering starting a vegetable garden in my backyard, but decided that my dog and local squirrels would cause too much damage to be worth it (and also because I'm super lazy). Some of the multi-crop seed containers I found on there were very prepper / homesteading targeted, emphasizing that they were non-GMO and would give off fertile seeds each year that could be replanted rather than being neutered crops.

My favorite part was the marketing copy that also said growing your own food was essential because (paraphrasing), "when the government shuts down and can no longer provide the systems that bring food to grocery stores, HOW WILL YOU FEED YOUR FAMILY???"

And the answer is: not from these seeds, because it doesn't really matter since we'll have died from lack of access to city water, or from water-borne diseases far before lack of hunger. My tiny plot of city land with city sewer access doesn't have any easily accessible water on it and I have no well, and the nearest creek is both inconsistent in flow and kinda gross. Therefore, dead. Also I won't be able to water my crops anyway, even if I keep a rain barrel.

Maybe I can use my guns to steal a neighbor's pool water...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
post your prepper stack or stfu

on a serious note if you trade with any regularity, are a consumer whore, and have more than $100k in retirement/brokerage, you should be using Merrill edge/ BOA preferred rewards visa combo. 100 free trades/Q (id assume this will just go to no commission to match everyone else, but if you're doing more than 100 trades in a quarter you are probably losing all your money anyways so this could still help you get some loving DISCIPLINE in your life), straight 2.65% cash back on the credit card, and some pretty nice signup bonuses (Im not sure what these are at as Ive been parked at ME/BOA for a couple of years now). Also, lots of discounts on HELOC, mortgages, etc.. though its iffy if BOA is the best place to do that kind of thing. Keep an alliant credit union checking/savings account and everything else in BoA/ME. Oh, and buy gold below spot on ebay because the central bank hates yours dollars. If you have stupid poo poo like a "family" and buy lots of groceries definitely do one of the other cards (I have amex blue cash, but i think there are better cards these days im just lazy) that gets 5%+ on groceries and a gas bonus. Use that card for gas and groceries and put everyhting else on the BOA card. Dont do dumb travel bonus poo poo because 90% of the time it tricks you into spending money you wouldn't otherwise have spent because you're "saving". Still travel tho, but do it in real money terms, you'll come out ahead i guaran-drat-fuckn-tee it

- dave ramsey

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 2, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I switched our taxable account to BOA / Merrill mostly for the transfer bonus. I wouldn’t do it again. The trading app isn’t anything special and it was a bit of a pain jumping through all their hoops to get all the bonuses. And I had to call to get the monthly $20 BOA bank account fee waived and that took 30+ minutes on hold with “premium” support (which I’m still not sure is a real thing.)

Really just reminded me why I don’t like businesses that charge fees for everything, even if they waive them for you. Still have to watch them like a hawk.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

smackfu posted:

I switched our taxable account to BOA / Merrill mostly for the transfer bonus. I wouldn’t do it again. The trading app isn’t anything special and it was a bit of a pain jumping through all their hoops to get all the bonuses. And I had to call to get the monthly $20 BOA bank account fee waived and that took 30+ minutes on hold with “premium” support (which I’m still not sure is a real thing.)

Really just reminded me why I don’t like businesses that charge fees for everything, even if they waive them for you. Still have to watch them like a hawk.

I was going to mention it was a pain getting the bonuses but my paragraph already felt dense.. its a legit criticism. BOA and Merril still havent integrated properly and they do make you chase the bonuses.... but they are very good bonuses. All the proper fee waives happened automatically for me though (it does take 90 days iirc if you are all new to BOA and ML). They are an absolutely horrible corporate banking abomination, but its the best and lowest cost that I've found.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 2, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
BofA deez bonuses.

I thought there was some catch to the 2.65% on everything cash back, like it can only be redeemed for travel or something. I also switched my taxable to Merrill but I picked the other credit card, the one that you choose a category and get 5.25% back on (online shopping being my choice), 3.5% on groceries and Costco, and 1.75% on everything else. Basically everything I don't purchase from a grocery store or Costco is purchased online so it works for me.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Kylaer posted:

BofA deez bonuses.

I thought there was some catch to the 2.65% on everything cash back, like it can only be redeemed for travel or something. I also switched my taxable to Merrill but I picked the other credit card, the one that you choose a category and get 5.25% back on (online shopping being my choice), 3.5% on groceries and Costco, and 1.75% on everything else. Basically everything I don't purchase from a grocery store or Costco is purchased online so it works for me.

The only catch on the 2.65% cash back is your rolling 90 day balance has to be 100k+, theyre basically willing to give you all the processing fees if you keep a big balance with them.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

100k liquid balance is so huge haha. Maybe that’s appropriate if you have like 5M+ net worth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't need a liquid balance. You can transfer your IRA/401k there and it will count toward the 100k platnium.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

You don't need a liquid balance. You can transfer your IRA/401k there and it will count toward the 100k platnium.

How are their fund options compared to Fidelity? I have my trad and roth there now, with 75% of it all in a Fidelity target date index fund.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

If the Merrill Edge website is anything like their brokerage site for stock options, gently caress everything about it. Their statements are awful and hard to read, the website terrible, etc. And I'm not spending 30 minutes on the phone when Citi Private Bank picks up on the first ring to a person who has always been able to immediately help me. Don't put up with BoA's games for a whopping 0.65% extra bonus money on your credit card - a whopping $234/year if you run $3k/month through their card.

Sadly the Citi Double Cash card doesn't count in that and goes to their terrible "but but the IVR can help you!!!!" crap which adds 5 minutes to your call and potentially hangs up on you for getting mad at it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

H110Hawk posted:

If the Merrill Edge website is anything like their brokerage site for stock options, gently caress everything about it. Their statements are awful and hard to read, the website terrible, etc. And I'm not spending 30 minutes on the phone when Citi Private Bank picks up on the first ring to a person who has always been able to immediately help me. Don't put up with BoA's games for a whopping 0.65% extra bonus money on your credit card - a whopping $234/year if you run $3k/month through their card.

Sadly the Citi Double Cash card doesn't count in that and goes to their terrible "but but the IVR can help you!!!!" crap which adds 5 minutes to your call and potentially hangs up on you for getting mad at it.

Its definitely been diluted by the sudden deluge of free trades everywhere (thanks robinhood, I guess), but the .65% is a long ways from the only bonus of holding platinum preferred status. The interface isn't designed for like... high frequency trading, but putting in a normal order isn't a problem. IB still wins just on their margin rates for hardcore trading, but one might argue their interface is even worse somehow. I am not some crazy high worth individual and I have a guy I can email or call directly with merril, although he admittedly kind of punts BoA questions ...which is part of the reason why I said keep your checking/savings elsewhere... you just need a no fee $0 balance account at BoA and keep your retirements or whatever at Merrill for the full set of benefits. You're not gonna get rich off the benefits or anything, and you can do better if you want to churn around to different places constantly, but I don't think it can be beat for a self-managed account that you want to keep for years. Basically, merrill edge is good, and BoA is trash but required to get the full ME benefits.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 2, 2019

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When saving up for a house, do people keep down payment liquid? I mean if you're saving for a house 5-6 years down the line, having so much money liquid seems odd to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

When saving up for a house, do people keep down payment liquid? I mean if you're saving for a house 5-6 years down the line, having so much money liquid seems odd to me.

Yes. Because unless you're willing to not buy if the market is down 5-6 year is like the MINIMAL investment horizon.

So high yield savings and/or CDs.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I guess liquid means different things to different people. My definition of liquid as far as big purchases is concerned is can I get the money into my checking account within a few days and little effort. Intentionally investing in illiquid assets (like real estate or rare antiques) when you want to use the money seems ridiculous.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Stocks are certainly liquid assets, since they can be easily converted to cash, but they're volatile enough that they could be down significantly at the time you want to withdraw them, particularly with a relatively close desired date of use.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If your house buying horizon is more than 5 years away, I personally would invest some of that money in the market (broad market index funds) but it really depends on your own personal risk tolerance and approach toward buying a house.

I had a lot (>75%) of my downpayment invested over the past 5 or so years, and it grew a lot in that time period. If that market had taken a poo poo, I may have been less inclined to a buy a house. I was okay with accepting the risk of my home purchase getting deferred due to market conditions. My savings/investments were not necessarily earmarked as "house fund", but that was one thing that I knew I might use it for if the circumstances were right.

If your goal is that you will buy a house in five years, market conditions be damned, then more conservative mostly/all cash savings is a safer bet.

So like many things personal finance related... it depends.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 2, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

greasyhands posted:

The only catch on the 2.65% cash back is your rolling 90 day balance has to be 100k+, theyre basically willing to give you all the processing fees if you keep a big balance with them.

Which card is this, exactly? The only one I see with a flat 1.5% cash back (2.62% after preferred rewards) is the Travel Rewards card, and that says the statement credit must be applied to travel expenses. Is there another one I'm overlooking? Or does the caveat not actually apply like I'm thinking it does?

Jows posted:

How are their fund options compared to Fidelity? I have my trad and roth there now, with 75% of it all in a Fidelity target date index fund.

Their mutual fund options are absolute poo poo. You can buy any ETFs you want, though, so I'm just holding the ETF versions of Vanguard's main index funds. Target-dates aren't an option, as far as I know, pretty sure there aren't any ETFs of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I started saving for a house about 9 years ago and put it in the market. My home buying timeline back then was pretty fluid.

Last year, after a decade, I realized my wife and I decided we'd probably purchase a house in the next year. 2 at the most. So I pulled the money for a down payment into our high yield savings.

So there's one example of saving for a home over a long timeframe.